Start by marking “By My Brother's Side” as Want to Read:
By My Brother's Side

By My Brother's Side

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews

Tiki and Ronde were each other's best friends. Together from the start, these twins might not have been the strongest or the tallest, but they were fast and worked hard at what they loved. And they loved sports, especially football.

Then one day Tiki badly hurt his knee in a biking accident, and he was sure he'd never be able to play again. Their mother had always told th

Published September 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published August 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about By My Brother's Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By My Brother's Side

Alexis Stafford
By My Brothers Side written by Tiki and Ronde Barber, is a story of two brothers with big dreams to play in the NFL one day and make it to the superbowl. The two brothers do everything together until one day when Tiki is riding a bike uphill and ends up tumbling down the hill, hurting his leg very badly. This fall keeps him from playing and doing anything besides resting and wobbling for months. Ronde keeps encouraging his brother and ensures him that he will be right there with him through it a ...more
Allie
Mar 25, 2014 Allie rated it really liked it
Tiki and Ronde were twins who were best friends. They both played football, although they were not the strongest or the tallest, they worked very hard and tried their best. One day Tiki got into a bike accident and hurt his knee. He never thought he would be able to play football or any sports ever again because that is what the doctor said. But Tiki is determined to be able to play sports again. Growing up their mom always told them to stick together, so through this hard time Tiki went through ...more
Chelsie Morrison
Nov 18, 2012 Chelsie Morrison rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
By My Brother's Side is an inspirational story about NFL Superstars Tiki and Ronde Barber. This story provides a great message about perseverance, hard work, and most importantly, true love and dedication to family.

The story begins when Tiki and Ronde are very young. The two boys do everything together and are very athletic and adventurous. One day, Tiki and Ronde are riding bikes with friends when Tiki has a terrible accident breaking his leg. Though Tiki's doctor tells his mother that he may
Beth Hall
Sep 27, 2007 Beth Hall rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: first grade boys
This was a real hit with Meade and with his classmates when I read it aloud to them. It touches on many important themes--perserverence, brotherly love, doing your homework, overcoming adversity and football. The writing isn't the most scintillating, but oh well. The fact that it's "a true story" and the subject matter--football. That's all it takes.

Native Virginians Ronde and Tiki Barber are identical twins (who were born small as many twins are--since Meade is small, I like the fact they menti
Abbey Ausnehmer
Sep 02, 2014 Abbey Ausnehmer rated it really liked it
I think this is a good learning book for children. It talks about a child getting hurt and being told he is not going to be able to play sports anymore but he never gives up. This book will teach children that if they don't give up and keep trying, anything can happen. Also I think this book is a good family book because the two brothers are very close and they are close to their mother. I think this book will inspire children and that determination and hard work can change your life.
Caden Walton
Jun 01, 2015 Caden Walton rated it really liked it
This book is super good if you like football. If not its still good if you like people being by each others side all the time. They are really good at football and when something is wrong the other helps each other out. I would reccomend this book to any one who is a sports fan.
Shaundell
Tiki & Ronde are best friend twin brothers who love playing sports. One summer day, a bike accident leaves Tiki with a broken leg. He watches Ronde practice ball and run all summer. The leg heals right in time for football practice in the fall. The twins work hard, have a positive attitude, and a supportive mother who tells them that they can achieve anything that they want to in life. The two brothers talk and dream of playing together, side by side, in the Super Bowl.

The story doesn’t act
Ms.Kim
Nov 03, 2015 Ms.Kim rated it really liked it
A great non-fiction picture book. It was a sweet story, and even more so because it's TRUE!
Cole
Oct 02, 2014 Cole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport-book
It was a good story but it was bad when he couldn't play on the all stars baseball team.
Ryan Treaster
Nov 19, 2008 Ryan Treaster rated it really liked it
This book is based on NFL players Tiki and Ronde Barber. Although these two were not the biggest and strongest, they were taught to always work hard and be determine. In this book , it shows what can come out of hard work and determination.

Reading Level- Transitional Readers
Curricular Uses- Read aloud or independent reading
Social issues- hard work and determination lead to success
Ronster
Dec 02, 2007 Ronster rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
Children's picture book. Professional football players, Ronde and Tiki Barber, are the subjects for this fun story. Tiki injures himself and has to sit out of sports for awhile. This story shows the connection between two brothers (twins) and the support of their mother. Use in a unit on family, friendship or positive character traits.
What NFL players and twin brothers Tiki and Ronde Barber lack in writing experience, they make up for in seemingly genuine commraderie and brotherly love, which is quite refreshing. While this is story that will appeal to sports fans, it's really about team work, hard work and selflessness.
Sheniece
1. Good book for little boys who aspire to be athletes to read.
2. Teaches students to work hard at something that they like to do to become better at it and don’t let people hold them back from doing whatever it is that they like to do.
3. Promotes love and caring for ones sibling.
Kara Smith
Jun 13, 2012 Kara Smith rated it really liked it
Based on the childhood of two current NFL superstar twin brothers, this book will be an instant hit for reluctant boy readers! It is told chronologically and uses a cause and effect text structure to teach the reader that trial and error is normal when accomplishing your dreams!!
Ashanti
May 20, 2009 Ashanti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ficshon
I like that book cause when the brother broke his leg the brother helped him play f ball

LOVE ASHANTI

Elizabeth
Sep 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Not the greatest children's book I've ever read, but I do love me some Tiki. Plus Ford gave it to me as a wedding gift, so it's special.
Angela
Jun 18, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
This book was ok. It would be a great segue into a unit about athletes or working hard to achieve your dreams
Amanda Taylor
I loved this book. It talks about these brothers lives as they grow up and how they became football players.
Maria
Jun 12, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
Good family book showing love and loyalty. Would be good for a family or sports unit.
Kalonji
Jan 28, 2010 Kalonji rated it really liked it
This book is about a real football player that broke his leg when he was a kid.
Shellie
J What little football star in your life wouldn't enjoy this, really.
Tyler Smith
Oct 05, 2009 Tyler Smith rated it really liked it
The title says it all. Love your siblings always.
Daniel
Jan 05, 2009 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sports fans
Shelves: tiki-and-ronde
This has been a great book to read.
Theresa
AN INSPIRATIONAL STORY
Hunter
Dec 28, 2008 Hunter rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: football lovers
man i got scared wen i read the doctor said tiki wouldnt walk again.but tikis a role model he knew he could walk and later join football.hes my inspiration
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Jontez
Jontez marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Avry
Avry rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
MsKnight
MsKnight rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
  • The Storyteller's Candle/La velita de los cuentos
  • The Hair of Zoe Fleefenbacher Goes to School
  • Something Beautiful
  • Saturdays and Teacakes
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Minty: A Story of Young Harriet Tubman
  • Stay: The True Story of Ten Dogs
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
  • Hello Ocean
  • Gordon Parks: How the Photographer Captured Black and White America
  • Dancing in the Wings
  • Silver Packages: An Appalachian Christmas Story
Tiki Barber is a record-holding retired running back for the New York Giants. Mr. Barber is currently a correspondent for NBC's Today show and an analyst for NBC's Football Night in America.
More about Tiki Barber...