Start by marking “Beaded Hope” as Want to Read:
Beaded Hope

Beaded Hope

2011 Carol Award winner for Women's Fiction from ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers)
Four American women, all with their own challenges, embark on a mission trip to South Africa. Their lives are changed as they encounter a group of South African women who suffer from AIDS yet demonstrate great joy and faith in the face of overwhelming adversity. When the Americans dis
Published March 1st 2010 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beaded Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beaded Hope

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonShe Walks in Beauty by Siri MitchellA Tailor-Made Bride by Karen WitemeyerCourting Morrow Little by Laura FrantzHead in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer
Best Christian Fiction Book Covers
438th out of 848 books — 785 voters
To Win Her Heart by Karen WitemeyerA Promise to Love by Serena B. MillerFaithful Traitor by Jill StenglFairer Than Morning by Rosslyn ElliottLonestar Angel by Colleen Coble
Carol Award Winners
146th out of 147 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Diana
Mar 01, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing
Beaded Hope is the story of four women who embark on a mission trip to Africa. Each of them has reasons to be sorrowful, scared, or friendless. The trip is taken by all of them to escape from their current life for a few weeks. What they didn’t expect was to find themselves in a land so foreign from their own. They are introduced to Jaleela, who despite having aides has a dream God, one she feels will come true because of these women. Jaleela and the other women make beaded jewelry. She is ...more
Carissa
Jan 07, 2012 Carissa rated it it was amazing
Review to come I don't normally say this, but this book was an emotional read. It made me cry it was that good. first reviewed here http://belovedgraceful-carissasbooksh...

Title: Beaded Hope
Author: Cathy Liggett
Series: No
Chapters: 46 plus epilogue
Pages: 381
Genre: Christian chick lit/ real life fiction
Rating: 5 Stars 10/10
Four America women with nothing in common build relationships with South African and each other. Cassandra is looking for away to advance her career. Heidi a single mom is tryi
Cassandra
Feb 22, 2011 Cassandra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone!
What an amazing book! This book is definitely going on my list of top 25 favorite books. I won this book in a blog giveaway but it sat on my shelf for too long and I forgot I had it. I was looking for an inspiring book to read on Sabbath and remembered that I had a copy of this book in my spare bedroom.

Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried. I grew very attached to most of the characters. What makes this story so wonderful is that it's inspired by a nonprofit organiz
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
Mar 03, 2010 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: FIRST Wild Card Tours; Tyndale House Publishers
This book was amazingly put together. Four women, one goal, all with secrets. The suspense of that alone pulled me to the story. But once I sat down to read, I was immediately hooked from the first page. I wanted to keep on reading and reading until I got to the end to see what happened to these 4 new friends. This book has so many struggles that are dealt with, ranging from grief, to depression, to longing and hope.

The four women in this story, set out on a journey to South Africa and are imme
LeAnne
Gabby is fleeing a disintegrating marriage after years of fertility treatments and miscarriages. Heidi and her daughter Katie are hiding the secret of teen pregnancy that has ostracized them at home. Cassandra is a no-longer-up-and-coming reporter, hoping for the big story that will rejuvenate her career. The four of them end up on a missions trip to South Africa where they meet women whose faith and passion to help others transforms their lives.

I loved this book because the African women were
Alisha Marie
I received Beaded Hope as part of the First Reads program. Let me admit that had I known that this was classified as "Christian Fiction", I probably wouldn't have entered to win a copy. Not that there's anything wrong with Christian Fiction. It's just that I'm not a particularly religious person so I tend to shy away from anything with a religious slant to it (unless it's non-fiction or horror). Probably due to my preconceived notions of Christian fiction, Beaded Hope ended up exceeding my ...more
Cindy
Mar 16, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Three women and one teenager, bound together by a mission trip to South Africa. Beaded Hope is a book inspired by a nonprofit organization by the same name.

Gabrielle, a children's minister at Graceview Church, a young woman with a deep love of children, who has struggled with infertility issues all of her married life.

Cassandra, an aging news anchor, desperate to keep her job and looking for a story that will be a heart grabber.

Heidi, a young widow and her teenage stepdaughter Katie, both strug
Aimee
Jun 26, 2012 Aimee rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Selection of the United Methodist Women's 2012 Reading Program
Education for Mission Category
Fiction

This book is about four women and one teenager making a life changing mission trip to South Africa. The women each sign up for the trip for selfish reasons and end up being humbled and moved by the people they meet. Through their word with others who have so much less than they do, they realize that they need to learn to let go and rely on God and have faith in his plans for us.

I love Christian f
Kimberly
Apr 04, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it
After winning this book as a First Read, I sat down and read over half of the book the first night - I just could not put it down! Although I'm really not into "inspirational" stories, there was enough true-life detail and well thought out characters to make this an excellent book, and one that I will certainly recommend to others. It was less a story about a trip to Africa than a story of four women finding out who they truly are, just happening to be together in South Africa. This book does ...more
Joyce
A fantastic book! The book Beaded Hope by Cathy Liggett deals with the strong emotional struggles of 3 women and a teenage girl who all go on a mission trip to South Africa. Two of the women go with all the wrong motives but all four of these characters undergo transforming changes in their life perspectives through their experiences with a group of South African women they meet. The reader is shown not only the tragic circumstances of a group of women being cared for through a hospice ...more
Kathy
Oct 29, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Beaded Hope is the story of four women who went on a mission trip to South Africa. Each of them taking this trip to get away. Once there they learned many of the women they were helping were infected with the aids virus and raising children. They saw the women's deep faith in God and determination to care for their family all while being sick. When theses mothers succumbed to their illness the children were taken in by other mothers or raised by siblings.
The four women helped start a non for pr
Kathy
Apr 21, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
Beaded Hope is about women helping women-- the wrong assumption is that the American women are going to go help those in Africa, when in fact the African women help the Americans far more.

The American women heading off on a missions trip to South Africa: Gabby, fleeing the pain of fertility and miscarriages and a hurting marriage. Heidi and her daughter Katie, hiding the secret of teen pregnancy that has ostracized them at home. Cassandra, an 'aging' reporter hoping for the big story that will r
Debbie
Mar 12, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, fiction
"Beaded Hope" was a well-written and enjoyable inspirational general fiction. It's fast-paced and full of suspense. I was quickly engaged by the realistic characters and their realistic struggles, and I cared about what happened to them. The world-building was excellent and brought everything (especially South Africa) alive in my imagination.

Most of the main characters were Christians. There was some God-talk and praying, but no preaching at the reader. Unless you're strongly anti-God, you proba
Loraine
Feb 20, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing
Four women each beset by their own problems (including a mother and a teenage daughter) set out for South Africa on a church sponsored mission trip. This trip will bind their hearts and souls forever to the women of South Africa as well as one another.

This book gives the reader an inside glimpse at the life and trials of South African women and their children as they fight and try to survive the AIDS pandemic. Be sure to have a Kleenex handy but this book is well worth the read. Makes me now wan
Julie Akeman
May 13, 2016 Julie Akeman rated it it was amazing
I was reading this book at work and there were times when I was afraid I was going to start bawling cause there were so many heartwrenching moments, but this was an excellent read. Four women, one was a teen, go to South Africa on a Mission trip in the Spring. They each had their own selfish reason for going but when they connect with each other and with the African women they grow in ways they never knew was possible. Keep some tissues nearby if you are sensitive to stories like this one. ...more
Freda Mans-Labianca
Apr 27, 2010 Freda Mans-Labianca rated it really liked it
This was a truly inspiring book. I knew from the moment I picked it up, that I would have a hard time putting it down. That's just what happened too! I finished it in a few hours!
We often hear of such heartbreaking stories and wonder how people can be so good through so little, the answer is always LOVE. You learn that once again with this story of these women and their journey to South Africa. It makes you wish you had your own triumphant battle of overcoming the odds. Generally we are ordinary
Sherry Conrad
Mar 30, 2010 Sherry Conrad rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this- while a departure from my usual style, it was uplifting and you really got to know the women as they got to know each other on the mission trip.

I only gave it 4 stars because it was a little predictable, especially the ending and there were times I wanted to slap a couple of the ladies.

That being said, the bonds they formed rang true and I love that it is based loosely on an organization that you can help out the women of Africa- I absolutely LOVE hand up not hand out prog
Becky Ahrendsen
Apr 21, 2012 Becky Ahrendsen rated it liked it
interesting to learn about, esp. since jon has been to Nicaragua where he learned about people of the dump and brought back beaded bracelets that they are making to raise money there. also, as I learn about Malaria in Africa. Cool to see the journey of these women, - one pregnant teen and her mom, one unable to have a child and unsure of her marriage, one "famous" career broadcaster, and the people they met and how it changed their lives.
Judy Roumillat
May 26, 2012 Judy Roumillat rated it really liked it
Shelves: umw
Story of a group of women who went on a mission trip because it was the thing to do in their church. Each one of the ladies was marvelously changed by the experience and their interaction with the women they met who were making beads which were to be sold in the US to benefit their families. This book is on the UMW reading list for 2012 in the category of Education for Mission.
I was moved by the story and the spiritual growth of the "missionary team".
Anne
Apr 07, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
Joined a book club at the library and this is book #2. Found it hard to get into. Put it down after the first chapter or so and until the librarian mentioned how often it's used as a book club book, got new interest and picked it back up. After all, it was the topic of the April meeting, right?

Well worth picking back up. Take the time to read. Touches your heart. Life is indeed a journey--for all of us, whether you ever travel across the world or stay close to home.
Marnie
Jul 25, 2014 Marnie rated it it was amazing
This story, inspired in part by a trip made by the author, is awesome. It digs into the egocentric lives of four women who are each struggling with different challenges. There's a career headed south, a miscarriage, a young widow, a step-parent/child relationship, an unexpected pregnance, AIDS, poverty, and the hope given through God. The women embark on a mission trip to South Africa (a real place with a real mission) and it changes their lives.
Natasja
May 08, 2012 Natasja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Hoop Geloof en Liefde,dat is waar het in dit boek zeker om gaat.
Wat een prachtig boek is dit,het gaat zeker in mijn top tien.
Dit boek zit zo vol liefde dat je het constant met kippevel zit te lezen.
Zodra je aan dit boek begint ben je gewoon verkocht want het laat je gewoon niet meer los.
Vier vrouwen die in Afrika armoede en ziektes leren kennen,maar bovenal de liefde.
In één woord prachtig een echte Aanrader
Debbie
Oct 16, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
It is a great inspirational read that was inspired by an actual nonprofit organization called Beaded Hope. This organization helps South African women raise money to support themselves, their families and others devastated by the HIV/AIDS pandemic. The Beaded Hope website has information on the organization as well as items for sale made by these South African women.
Micki
Apr 27, 2014 Micki added it
Even though Liggett based this book on real experiences, she wrote it with love, heartbreak, and joy. I was drawn into the lives of these four women. I could predict the ending, but still was in wonder and tears at how it turned out. Her descriptions brought my imagination to see the places and people described. It really brings to the reader the reality of mission work.
Mary
Apr 02, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Four women travel to South Africa on a mission trip and discover ways to help the population decimated by HIV/AIDS and in the process learn to know themselves. It was inspired by a nonprofit organization of the same name.
Joan
May 15, 2016 Joan rated it it was amazing
This is an inspirational story of a group of women with their different person issues. A mission trip to Africa brings all things into perspective and they are all positively changed by the lives of the African women and their hope in God!
Sheri Freeland
Jan 31, 2013 Sheri Freeland rated it really liked it
This was our church's book club first book of the year and what a good book to start the year with. I don't think anyone in the group didn't like it. It appealed to all ages and really gave us a taste of the blessings of doing missionary work. I would recommend it!
Alicia
Apr 19, 2010 Alicia rated it it was ok
This book was pretty predictable and I could see the ending coming a mile away but I did like very much the details about the African women. As always when I read about the AIDS epidemic in Africa I want to sell the house, quit the job and join the Peace Corp.
Clareece
Mar 03, 2016 Clareece rated it it was amazing
This book is AWESOME! Even though it is fiction it is based on a real ministry based in South Africa that helps impoverished women through selling their beaded jewelry, ornaments, etc. If you want to see their work you can go to www.beadedhope.org.
Justine
Apr 09, 2012 Justine rated it really liked it
A great saga about women empowering women. Based on the true story of how Beaded Hope, an organization in South Africa that employs women to make jewelry and apparel so they can support their families, got its start. Very inspirational, many lessons to be taken from it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Never the Bride
  • Thunder Over Kandahar
  • June Bug
  • The Beatitudes: From Slavery to Civil Rights
  • Rediscovering Values: On Wall Street, Main Street, and Your Street: A Moral Compass for the New Economy
  • The Death of Josseline: Immigration Stories from the Arizona Borderlands
  • Angel Song
  • The Slave Next Door: Human Trafficking and Slavery in America Today
  • I Have Seen Him in the Watchfires
  • Hide & Seek
  • A Slow Burn (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #2)
  • 14 Cows for America
  • The Bird Room
  • The Friendships of Women
I’ve been a Midwest girl all my life (oh, there were those 5 years when my one true love married me and whisked me off to live in New York – but I’ll get to that in a minute…). Born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio, by wonderful parents – now into their 70th year of marriage, can you imagine? – my childhood was as normal as normal can be.

Lucky for me, my family was so great, kind enough to endure al
More about Cathy Liggett...