The MacGregors: Alan & Grant (MacGregors #6 & 7)

The MacGregors: Alan & Grant (The MacGregors: Chronological order)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  7,392 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Multi- "New York Times" bestseller Nora Roberts has enchanted and delighted millions with her captivating stories. And the powerful, passionate MacGregor clan is one of her most beloved and enduring creations. Around the globe, readers have taken Daniel and his bull-headed, love-resistant brood to their hearts...and demanded more.
Mass Market Paperback, 498 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Silhouette Books

Carol [Goodreads addict]
The MacGregors, Alan~Grant by Nora Roberts is made up of two separate stories, All The Possibilities and One Man’s Art, both originally published in 1985. In both stories, we have the Campbell siblings, Shelby and Grant. They are the children of the late Senator Robert Campbell who was assassinated fifteen years prior, right in front of his children. Both children have lasting scars from witnessing such a horrible loss and deal with it in different ways. Also, both children have grown up to be a...more
Kathy Davie
Series
All the Possibilities (MacGregor, 6)
One Man's Art (MacGregor, 7)

Sixth and seventh in the MacGregors romance series revolving around the MacGregor family and their friends. These two stories are contemporary and revolve around art.

The Stories
All the Possibilities finds Shelby Campbell very happily creating her pottery and running her shop in Georgetown. The daughter of a political figure assassinated when she was young, Shelby exists by two rules: never date a politician and have fun. Onl...more
Amy
Dec 31, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Nora Roberts and romances
Recommended to Amy by: Liz, my sister
Carolyn Eaton
Alan and Shelby are my most favorite MacGregor characters. Shelby's free spirit and Alan's Senatorial demeanor draw you in with their "opposites attract". Her resistance, his persistance and the push-pull of their fight against love at first sight...yum.
Ruth
Let me state first & foremost I AM a Nora Roberts fan; I am a MacGregors Fan...so this book was a 2 in 1 book where previously the books :All The Possiblities & One Mans Art were combined into the title above....You will won't to SKIP THIS BOOK because of the second story which I found Unreadable; unenjoyable whatsoever & quite disappointed for a NR read....I do NOT recommend One Man's Art as worthwhile....

However, ALL THE POSSIBLITIES is a wonderful contemporary romance following al...more
Christa
Stacy
In All the Possibilities, Washington, D.C., socialite Shelby Campbell meets Senator Alan MacGregor and the attraction is immediate and powerful. Unfortunately, Shelby is determined to avoid romantic involvement with any public figure, a resolve that stems from her witnessing her politician father's assassination. A man in the spotlight, especially a man in politics, is too vulnerable, and she can't risk losing someone she loves again. Her determination is no match for Alan's, though, as the han...more
Heather
shelby&alan(1st story)-i read another book in this series, and decided id continue on with this one.i just hate how the guys careers r so boring.a lot of authors write about lawyers or something like that and it just doesnt interest me at all.
however,im just glad i can halfway get into this after having to have slam nora's "treasures" book.
-"shelby decided not2 mention that the personable young man had had 6 pairs of hands-all very active." what?!
her descriptions of ppl just confuses me sum...more
Christi Snow
All the Possibilities:
Story Overview:
Creative, compelling, unconventional—Shelby Campbell was unlike any woman Senator Alan MacGregor had ever known. The cynical politician found himself falling in love with the spirited beauty, though she kept him at arm's length. But Alan was determined and nothing was going to keep him from getting what he wanted—not even the centuries-old feud between the MacGregors and Campbells….

My Rating: B+

My Review:
I really enjoyed the story of this MacGregor book. Thi...more
Brenda Margriet
Read these previously. Still enjoyed them, but obviously older style books.

In Alan's book, the oldest son of Daniel falls in love with the daughter of an assassinated presidential hopeful (he died years before). He has to break down her resistance to his being a politician (who ends up President 'off the page' later on). Shelby is a pottery artist in her own right, and a fun character. Liked Alan's patient persistence, although he does come across as a bit a boneheaded. There is one scene in par...more
Edan Marie Esquibel
I am really unhappy that I wasn't able to finish this book sooner than later because reality hated me so much it punched me with reality-related things to do.
[image error]

For one well, for people like me who are hopeless romantic and such.. i guess you can relate, I mean, you're reading this review and all, it's a good read with a nice story line 2 story lines, actually .

Well, okay, I must admit it adheres much to the traditional structure of love stories but then again, who am I to compl...more
Elizabeth
Again, I loved the stories, however the redundancy is getting to be a little much.

Overall, here it is in all the stories, one of the people that Daniel has tried to match make meets their potential mate. They both are strong willed and do not want love, and will not bend. They both have to have each other because it's like the world stops when they touch one another.........mind blowing sex, and then one of them decides they do not want to be tied down, but the other is head over heels in love,...more
Shirl
Two stories about the MacGregors and the Cambells. Alan marries Shelby Cambell in the first story after a whirlwind courtship.

Grant, Shelby's sister, marries Gennie Grandeau. They meet on the coast in Maine where Grant lives in a lighthouse. Grant is a recluse and a cartoonist and Gennie is a brilliant artist. Great stories.
Bridget
I am not going to review every Nora Roberts book that I have read in the past because she is quite prolific and it would get redundant and I honestly cannot remember all the plots. I think someone finds someone else attractive but at least one cannot admit it so there is sexual tension, then lots of sex, and then they live happily ever after? Sometimes there is some magic , a family legacy, or a mystery. Certainly not great works of literature (however still 100% better than “the grapes of wrath...more
Antof9
Of course, it was basic Nora Roberts, and a continuation of the MacGregor family saga where the patriarch, Daniel, is the ultimate matchmaker, blaming everything on his long-suffering wife, Anna (she misses her grandchildren, she wants more grandchildren, etc., and I love that she's actually a brilliant surgeon!), and matching everyone he can, even people outside his immediate family circle.

This one matches Alan (the oldest son? I can't remember anymore!) with Shelby Campbell. And then also find...more
Mailis Viiand
All the Possibilities:
The words are right pretty enough and the romantic idea for it all also good, but it didn't reach me in any level at all, maybe im more used to something real and not at this level of sappiness...the gentle waves crashing to sandy beach used as analog for lovemaking does not tingle my toes... i have no doubt that Roberts has a good dictionary to accompany her through writing these books...and the flow of words seems to come through some sort of fanciful dreams of perfect lo...more
Shannon C.
3.5 stars: Great summer reading

I really like this light hearted, laugh out loud series. Great characters. Endearing and hard to put down. I've read most of the books in this series and enjoyed them all. Not realizing it was part of a series, I started with MagGregor Brides (the one with the MacGregor acting as matchmaker for his grandaughters). It was hiliarous. I was hooked.

My favs in the series are the later books with three generations of MacGregors and the matchmaking, meddlesome grandfathe...more
Donna
Another Nora Roberts book - I couldn't help myself. You know Nora Roberts definitely has a pattern. She portrays strong female characters not really looking for love and when they find it there is a struggle. The loves have some sort of conflicts that they have to work out and then they do and are into each others arms. I'll have to commend her on her description of the foreplay. It's apparent that kissing is very important to her. Her books go into great detail on the foreplay, which is probabl...more
Stephanie Bolen
I love all the MacGregors but Shelby and Gennie were unique. Gennie was more along the lines of Serena and Diana but Shelby was truly unique. Alan and Grant's courtships were great.
Wynn
Mudpie
love both tales...the characters are so lovable and I especially love reading how Shelby, Grant and Gennie work their craft. ..most especially Grant's
Joan
So there were two Jeapordy questionw and the answers were Nora Roberts and Mary Higgins Clark and I had not read either one. So I picked up The McGregors = Alan Grant. The cover looked interesting - scottish family, political/artsy two different worlds. It has the potential to be a great plot. I wasn't far into it before I realized it was a Romance Novel, under the Silouette brand. Easy to skip the yuch scenes - the rest was predictible and not terribly well written, but I hung in throughout Ala...more
Victoria
This is the second book in the series that I've read. I thought the meetings of Serena and Caine with their significant others was much more appealing to read than Alan and Grant. I did enjoy the humor and the banter between Alan and Shelby and especially Grant and Gennie.

I have to say though, my favorite parts of this book was when the entire MacGregor clan congregates at the patrons castle. I love the interaction between the siblings and their loved ones especially when they are thrown at the...more
Taylor
a quick, easy read with my favorite family. Like always the two couples were perfect for each other. another excellent read from Roberts
Courtney
Oct 02, 2008 Courtney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a happy ending
Shelves: my-favorites
I think I own *almost* every Nora Roberts book ever written, and many other romance novels as well, but the story of Alan MacGregor and Shelby Campbell is my favorite. It makes me laugh and sometimes when I need it, it makes me cry. It makes me hope. I wouldn't say there is anything special about it but I love Shelby and her free attitude. I also really enjoy how love with Alan (the very serious type) comes out of no-where but they work so well together. This is the book I turn to when I am stre...more
Holly Boyd
going back through all the nora roberts books I haven't read. I tried to start at the beginning since they are publishing some of her 1st books again in 2 book sets. I've enjoyed them but you can see her development as a writer and it may be the change from originally doing silhouette romance novels then moving on to a different publishers. The character development improves and the dialogue between characters gets better. It has been a fun summer reading project. It may take me until Christmas...more
Doreen
This is early Nora Roberts - and while there is defintely a pattern to her books - strong female characters - it is interesting to read how she has evolved throughout the years. Her research is always clear - meaning she does a great job at explaining whatever career/hobby the heroine has.

This particular series is a light hearted, easy read - these are great as an "in between" to the denser novels.
This has to be my favorite book series of all time (so far). Nora Roberts out did herself with this series. You start off with one generation and leads you into the next. This is an eleven story series(not eleven books). By the end of the series you are sad that it has to end. Your heart is so attached to the characters that you just don't want it to end. You would not regret reading this series.
Heather  * lost in her own world*
Another two part book. The first story with Shelby and Grant was alright. But after reading three different stories with basically the same dynamic. ?.guy wants girl girl says no.. guy hounds girl untill they are both in love.
Second story has Grant and Gennie.. I liked this story. Grants attitude and grumpy rude character was a wonderful change. Love the encounters and exchanges from these two.
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • Family Man
  • Outlaw (Silhouette Desire, #624)
  • The Manning Brides (Those Manning Men, #1-2)
  • Along Came Trouble (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #3)
  • Tyler (Montana Creeds, #3)
  • Once Upon A Blind Date
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...

“I'm not in love with someone!" he shouted at her, infuriated because she was right and he couldn't do a thing about it. "I'm in love with you, and damn it,I don't like it."
"You've made that abundantly clear." She straightened her shoulders and lifted her chin.
"Don't pull that regal routine on me," Grant began. Her eyes sharpened to dagger points. Her skin flushed majestically. Abruptly he began to laugh.When she tossed her head back in fury,he simply collapsed against her. "Oh,God,Gennie,I can't take it when you look at me as though you were about to have me tossed in the dungeon."
"Get off me,you ass!" Incensed, insulted, she shoved against him, but he only held her tighter. Only quick reflexes saved him from a well-aimed knee at a strategic point.”
7 likes
“It's part of us," she said jerkily. "How could I not want part of us? It's your baby.I'm carrying your baby and I love it so much already it terrifies me."
"Oh,Diana." He touched her then, gently, his hands on her face. "You've let two weeks go by when we could have been terrified together.”
6 likes