Blood Ransom

Blood Ransom

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Natalie Sinclair is working to eradicate the diseases decimating whole villages in the Republic of Dhambizao when she meets Dr. Chad Talcott, a surgeon on sabbatical from a lucrative medical practice now volunteering at a small clinic.

Published March 30th 2010 by Zondervan (first published 2010)

Emily
I stumbled upon Lisa Harris's blog by accident. I was immediately impressed with her ministry and heart for God. After reading her blog, I discovered that she was also an author! I looked up her books right away, and was drawn to BLOOD RANSOM. I quickly added it to my Christmas wish list.

Once I turned the first page I was hooked! The prologue was wonderfully written! It captured me and left me yearning for more. But believe me, every single page was just as wonderful. Each twist and turn kept me...more
Sandy Duke
Wow. This was a fast paced thriller. The writer really opened my eyes to catch a glimpse of what it must be like living in an underdeveloped country where chaos is an everyday occurrence. She also forces us to face the fact that many of the products we use every day may rely on slave labor for their production. Add to that wrestling with tough questions such as why God allows bad things to happen to good people, and throw in a little romantic attraction and you've got a great book by Lisa Harris...more
ReviewsByMolly
Apr 25, 2010 ReviewsByMolly rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: CFBA
This is the first book I have read by Lisa Harris. I am VERY pleased with her work! She has a wonderful, wonderful talent. She was able to capture me from the prologue of the book and hold me until the very last page. Wow! My heart was twisted and tugged in so many directions while reading this book, I didn't know what to do. While I loved all the wonderful, beautiful characters in this book, my heart went out most to young Joseph. He endured such terrible tragedy that I wanted to sit beside him...more
Katie
I’m giving this book 4 stars! Overall, it was an adventurous read that kept me guessing as curveballs were thrown continually into the story plot. The characters Natalie, Chad, and Joseph were real and engaging, and by the end of the story, I felt like I knew them personally. Lisa Harris did a great job portraying Natalie and Chad’s emotions, trials and thoughts!

In some places, I will admit, I thought that by adding more drama to the words, the scenes could have been hyped up a bit and have been...more
Debbie
"Blood Ransom" is a fast-paced Christian thriller with some romance. I think this novel will appeal to both men and women. The story was set in a fictional third-world Africa country with a corrupt government. It focused more on the government corruption than the slave trade, though the two were connected. The vivid setting details made me feel like I was really there: walking through the market, facing the tragedy at Joseph's village, etc.

The tension remained high throughout the story and mainl...more
Title: BLOOD RANSOM
Author: Lisa Harris
Publisher: Zondervan Books
March 2010
ISBN: 978-0-310-31905-4
Genre: Inspirational/thriller

Joseph Komboli has managed to make a life for himself away from his remote village. But when he returns home to visit his family, he finds “Ghost Soldiers” already there. He watches from the forest as they kidnap the entire village, killing the elderly, but taking the rest to work as slaves in the mines. Then he overhears two men talking about a government take-over. Jose...more
Megan
Blood Ransom is an exciting adventure set in the Republic of Dhambizao. Natalie Sinclair is working to improve the living conditions for the least fortunate in this country. Chad Talcott is a doctor there from the states for the same reason. The two come together for a seemingly impossible mission spurred on by the apparent proof of Ghost Soldiers (men who abduct entire tribes to work in mines as slaves). They travel across the country attempting to discover more about this underground slave tra...more
Victoria
I thought this book was going to talk more directly about human trafficking. It was a bit of a godly action love story all mixed in with corrupt government issues that do sadly occur. In particular, this story is about a woman who gets involved in helping a boy who finds her and tells her that his village was rampaged and that they were brought to a slave labor camp to get minerals for our use of cell phones, laptops, cameras, etc. This is a reality that I don't believe gets touched up on enough...more
Peggy Morgan
Natalie Sinclair is on a two-year mercy mission in the volatile African Republic of Dhambizao to eradicate diseases that are wiping out entire villages. When wounded 15-year-old Joseph Komboli reaches her she takes him to Dr. Chad Talcott who operates a small clinic. Joseph carries with him photographic evidence of the existence of the rumored Ghost Soldiers whom he saw murdering and enslaving his family and other villagers. Appalled, Natalie and Chad join forces to expose this modern-day slave...more
Liz
In the Republic of Dhambizao there have been rumors of Ghost Soldiers raiding villages and all the people simply disappearing, but young Joseph Komboli has seen it with his own eyes as he watches his family attacked. Desiring to find his father before he's killed, he seeks the help of Natalie Sinclair, an American woman working for disease control, but she has no idea of the web of danger that she is about to get tangled in.

I liked the book, but I'm sorry to say I just didn't love it. The suspen...more
Nora St Laurent
In the African republic of Dhambizao, Natalie Sinclair works with Dr. Chad Talcott to eradicate diseases that are claiming whole towns. Meanwhile, Joseph Komboli returns to his village to find rebels abducting his family. When Chad and Natalie help Joseph expose the modern-day slave trade, they're courting disaster.

Review: This is not your typical fiction book. Lisa’s story is based on real situations that exist in the world around us - especially in Africa. I applaud Lisa for being the voice o...more
Kasi Lou

Meanwhile, things are unraveling in Dhambizao. Joseph Komboli returns to his village to discover rebel soldiers abducting his family and friends. Those that were too old or weak to work lay motionless in the African soil. When Chad and Natalie decide to help Joseph...more
Mireserenya
3.5 Stars

I think Ms. Harris did a wonderful job painting a picture of a country at turmoil and what the human spirit can accomplish when faced with adversity. The book was fast paced and suspenseful right until the end. I would have preferred the back story to be integrated a bit better, but I found it helpful to the motivations of the characters and quite necessary.

One thing of note for readers, there are a few references to the Christian faith in this work. As it comes from a publisher known f...more
Janna
Lisa Harris has written a gripping story of politics and intrigue set in the volatile country of the Republic of Dhambizao. Natalie Sinclair is on a 2 year tour of mercy helping to teach the citizens about basic health knowledge like washing hands to stop the spread of germs in an effort to help stop sickness. When she meets Joseph Komboli, a 15 year old boy that serves as her translator for awhile, her destiny is changed. He finds her after he heads home for a visit and stumbles upon the Ghost...more
LeAnne
Political corruption, rigged elections, and modern-day slavery—this romantic thriller jumps right out of the headlines. The main characters are American aid workers in an imaginary Central Africa country that sounds all too real. Natalie Sinclair’s faith in an active, caring God is tested as she is chased through African settings that author Lisa Harris obviously knows well.

Harris is a missionary in Mozambique, where I lived in the late 1980s. Her page-turning plot hangs together; her character...more
Narelle
Blood Ransom was a 2011 Christy Award nominee in the contemporary romance category and I totally understand why. I read this book within two days and I was immediately drawn into Natalie and Chad’s story.

Natalie and Chad were two ordinary Americans who had a heart to help Africans born into poverty and difficult circumstances. They could have ignored the evidence of slavery but instead put their lives in danger as they struggled to save Joseph’s family and the other innocent victims from remotes...more
Kathy
Adventure, danger, multiple characters, justice, faith, romance... a bit of everything. Some claim it is just a story that ghost soldiers go into African villages, kill the weak and enslave the rest to work in the mines. Yet, Joseph, a fifteen year old native, photographs the attack upon his village and is the only one to escape the raid. He goes to Natalie, a medical consultant whom he helped as a translator,for help. The seek out Chad, a volunteer doctor from the United States, to treat Joseph...more
Paul Goble
Set in a fictional African country, an aid worker encounters evidence of slave trade and is thrust into political corruption and danger. I found this to be a quick, enjoyable read. The plot and characters were interesting, but I didn't find myself transported into the foreign setting in the way that Jeanette Windle does in her comparable books. Editing was pretty good--I only found one glaring misspelling. There were a few continuitity glitches, and the cover an interior map bore little resembla...more
Randi
Deserves 3.5 stars. Full of suspense, good clean novel, opens your eyes to some of the horrors that still occur in Africa today and the fight against corruption.
Kathryn
They say it’s just story that ghost soldiers go into African villages, kill the weak and enslave the rest to work in the mines. There’s no proof, until now. Joseph has the only proof and quickly finds Natalie, a medical consultant and Chad, a volunteer doctor from the United States. Together they do whatever they have to get the proof to the US embassy while circumventing the high-ranking political figures who will do whatever it takes to stop them.

I like the characters and the story. It had thr...more
Bryelynn
I really liked the setting of this book; another country and Americans working in mission type work. The story kept me hooked too, I couldn't wait to see how it ended - loved the little twist, too. I was a bit turned off by all the religious and prayer references. In the beginning, I thought that I could ignore it, but there would be whole sections going on and on about Jesus Christ and such. If I has know this in the beginning, I would not have chosen this book.
Siobhan Parker
A Quickie Review

A better-than-average page-turner about a fictional African nation, Blood Ransom throws in doses of both action and romance. It's nothing amazing, but, those who enjoy "page-turning fiction" should find plenty to like about it.

Content Concerns: 12+
Two people are murdered, and other killings are implied. A woman's life is threatened. Kids aren't really the target audience for this, anyway.

Score: 3.25/5
Carman
This book is fast-paced, action-packed, and a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It really opens your eyes to a lot of things that most people never consider when living in our comfortable homes in our relatively safe country(s). The twists and turns of the plot were well written and kept me guessing until the very end. Those who love action, light romance, danger, and intricate plots will be sure to enjoy this book.
Carol Campbell
It was a good story, just written by the wrong author. I guess Lisa Harris typically writes romances and it showed in this book. I really would have rated this 1.5 stars if it was possible. There were quite a few times I just had to complain to hubby about how poorly parts of it were written. But it was a free book so my investment was minimal. I really do wonder how others have rated it higher.
Sheri Salatin
Great book! This is the first one I've ever read by Lisa Harris. I will be reading more.

Set in Africa and each page, each chapter has an adventure that won't let you put it down.

Another thing that I really liked about this book is that the chapters are really short, so it feels easy to pick up and read little bits at a time. If you can resist, of course.

Well done!
Rachael
Well, I didn't realize this was Christian fiction until I was already into the story...that isn't my norm, and that got old after a while. Oddly, if you take the Christian out of it, I think this would make a good movie, political intrigue, mysterious men with guns, out of place americans racing to try to save one boy's family against the odds...
Melissa Buot-Favazza
It's Book One, I would like to read the rest. It was sad, and I liked how Natalie is totally not a girly girl. She's strong minded, stubborn and can pretty much take care of herself. HMMMMM! I think I'm relating to this character.
Margaret Daley
I really enjoyed this story. The suspense kept me turning the pages. Natalie was a strong heroine who was a match for the villains. The author discussed a problem (slave trade) that needs to be addressed. A job well done.
Luckngrace
Christian award winner. Natalie goes to central Africa to help immunize natives and encounters "ghost soldiers", rigged elections and deadly political intrigue. Offers God's biblical advice and comfort during dangerous times.
Connie
This was a book I got for free for my Kindle. It is "Christian Fiction" so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect or how it would be written. But the story was actually really good and kept me engrossed the whole book.
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • The Heart of Memory
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)
  • Elisha's Bones
  • After the Leaves Fall
  • Goodness Gracious Green (Green #2)
  • Medical Error (Prescription for Trouble, #2)
  • A Woman Called Sage
  • The Homecoming
  • A Horse to Love (Keystone Stables #1)
  • Protection for Hire
  • Riven
  • A Promise to Remember
  • Hurricanes in Paradise
BIO: Award-winning author of nineteen novels and novellas, Lisa Harris lives with her husband and their three children in Mozambique, Africa, where they work as missionaries.

When she’s not busy writing or home schooling, she loves traveling, cooking different ethnic foods, and photographing animals and birds in the African bush. Visit her website at www.lisaharriswrites.com and her blog at www.my...more
More about Lisa Harris...
Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio Dangerous Passage (Southern Crimes #1) Blood Covenant Montana Mistletoe Recipe for Murder (A Cozy Crumb Mystery, #1)