Start by marking “Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)” as Want to Read:
Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)

Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes #3)

“The corpses swayed where they stood, their bony arms outstretched before them and tattered sleeves hanging limply in the foggy air. I smelled the sourness of the sewers about them; that, and the sweet whiff of death. Their sunken eyes bored into mine. I was surrounded. . . .”

Barnaby Grimes is a tick-tock lad, delivering messages and running errands all over the city, day
Published March 9th 2010 by David Fickling Books (first published June 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Legion of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legion of the Dead

Dec 19, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Starts with a gruesome scene, legions of the dead and all, and ends with the same scene but in between there is lots of fun. Barnaby Grimes is a Tick-Tock lad, delivering messages and solving mysteries all over London by scrambling over the rooftops. Victorian style alterna universe complete with gang land funerals, a seas serpent in the Thames, and zombie (think voodoo kind) soldiers. Fun, a little horror, a little magic, a lot of adventure good for grades 3-5.
Liz Brooks
Apr 30, 2016 Liz Brooks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
Review to come.
Yami
Apr 06, 2014 Yami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 and a half stars.

this little book setting calmly in a shelf of used-books caught my attention, and glad I picked it up , it had more adventures and originality, than any -more than 400P. YA book I read lately,

loved it soo much, it appears like a diary of Barnaby Grimes a Tick-Tock lad, with too many stories, that made me think it might be one of those books, just narrating the many adventures of the protagonist in one book,
but I was WRONG, all the stories are connected and cleverly too,

narra
Littlebearries
Sep 24, 2012 Littlebearries rated it liked it
Characters:
Barnaby: The main character, he is a tic-toc lad, in other words, an errand boy. He makes his living doing this, and it leads him into all sorts of trouble.
Blindside Bailey: An old war veteran who now sells newspapers and lives penny to penny... he has quite the tale to tell.
Professor Pinkerton-Barnes: Barnaby's friend who asks him to try out all his zany experiements.

Illustration: One of the best parts of this series is Paul Riddell's amazing, graphic, dark illustrations.

Writing: I
Brody Anderson
Aug 07, 2015 Brody Anderson rated it really liked it
A good adventure story for young readers. Poor Barnaby gets tangled up in a gangland dispute, underwater misadventure, and a zombie mystery all the while running the errands of a delivery boy who runs and jumps rooftops.

I gave it a four because the climatic end of the story was not as exciting as I thought it could have been.
Owlboyle
Mar 11, 2016 Owlboyle rated it liked it
Barnaby's adventures keep getting more interesting. This special delivery boy gets the weirdest assignments. The story is wonderfully fast paced and keeps your interest to the end.
Glenn
Mar 16, 2014 Glenn rated it it was ok
Although it takes a very long time to get started, (the first half has nothing to do with the second half) this strange story reads more like a graphic novel than the standard juvenile adventure. Great vocabulary from the author, but his style is a bit overwritten. A quick fun read but pretty pointless.
Karen
Feb 04, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
This series is proving to be extremely gruesome, but oh-so-compelling. It would probably be perfect for the child in your life with darker humor.
Amanda
May 24, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine, kids who like horror, scary stories, and mysteries
I entered the giveaway for this book without realizing that this was a series. That said, I did enjoy this book and I didn't feel extremely lost. The illustrations are nice in a horrific kind of way. I think this might be best suited for an older kid, starting around 9, maybe 10, because of the semi-graphic descriptions of the Legion of the Dead. There are also some words and phrases that would fly right over most younger kid's heads. Overall I enjoyed the quick pace of the mystery and the actio ...more
Lizzy
May 12, 2010 Lizzy rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-adventure
Yet again, a fantastic story in this series. I was a little disappointed that the girl that changed Barnaby's life wasn't mentioned in this book, and another girl was introduced. I thought in the previous book that the girl had been central to Barnaby's life, and to his development and growth as a character, but in this story, he was reverted back to the way he was in the first book. It saddened me. However, these stories are imaginative, full of adventure, but still appropriate for a younger au ...more
Mai-ana
Apr 05, 2016 Mai-ana rated it really liked it
Listened to in the car driving.
Andrew
Sep 08, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the most enjoyable of the series and i think the highlight so far. Again i will not give the story away but you do get the feeling for a such a down to earth character he is put through all sorts of amazing events which i am sure you can guess from werewolves, to possession to armies of the dead Barnaby Grimes seems to be able to find his way to the centre of any adventure.
Antonia
Feb 13, 2011 Antonia rated it really liked it
fittingly, the book starts with a funeral and ends with a zombie army with a special purpose. a nice straightforward story encompassing london and india, the "british" army, a lot of gangsters and barnaby grimes.
again written well, reads easily and the drawings accompanying the story are brilliant too.
i love the series.
Angela
Jan 31, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
I liked the first one better. The zombie element was fun with a little variation from the norm. I often wonder with this author the age range of these books. They are easy to read but add challenging vocabulary and can be descriptive with the little violence included in the books.
Mary
Barnaby Grimes is a tick tock lad, meaning he is a messenger in a Victorian-like London-like setting, and his stories are made much more interesting by the marvelous illustrations. This is a collaboration between a clever artist and a clever author who write great adventures for boys.
Victoria
Jun 10, 2010 Victoria rated it it was amazing
before reading this book I had watched a really scary zombie movie and so I wasn't sure about reading this book. But I decided to get over it and read it anyway and it was really good!
It was alittle scary, but what else would you expect from a book about the living dead?
Brett
Jul 01, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
I love this series in spite of not being a horror aficionado. The drawings, of course, are amazing, & the atmosphere of the parallel-universe 19th-century London is fantastic. I want to hear more of Barnaby's adventures, & of his budding friendships.
Chelsy
Oh, my gosh! Walking skeletons in London! And that guy was all 'Resident Evil' style on the zombies! (view spoiler) That part is so scary!
Kell
Jan 11, 2012 Kell rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
The third installment of the Barnaby Grimes series is every bit as enthralling as the first two. They keep getting darker as Barnaby is thrust into yet more thrilling adventures. I’ll definitely be getting hold of the last in the series…
Heather
Aug 07, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than the previous two. I'm glad I gave the series another shot!
Aubrey Hinchman
Jul 15, 2013 Aubrey Hinchman rated it really liked it
This book was probably the MOST terrifying of the series. yet, it didn't interest me as much as the others.
Benna
Nov 30, 2010 Benna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really liked this one but it was freaky. See curse of the Night Wolf for full review.
Sophie
Probably the best Barnaby Grimes book so far, in my opinion.
Wyntrnoire
Mar 20, 2013 Wyntrnoire rated it liked it
Fun read. Five stars for the artwork.
Michael
Jan 15, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic-horror
This series just keeps going strong!
James
Nov 28, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
Brilliant adveture!
Lucy the Ghost
Lucy the Ghost marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Roman
Roman added it
Sep 23, 2016
Jobber
Jobber added it
Sep 15, 2016
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • Grimsdon
  • The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost #1)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • The Bone Tiki (Aotearoa, #1)
  • The Penalty (Paul Faustino, #2)
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • The Starkin Crown
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • The Midnight Charter
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
  • The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)
Paul Stewart is a highly regarded author of books for young readers – from picture books to football stories, fantasy and horror. Together with Chris Riddell he is co-creator of the bestselling Edge Chronicles, which has sold more than three million copies and is available in over twenty languages. They have also collaborated together on lots of other exciting books for children of all ages. The F ...more
More about Paul Stewart...

Barnaby Grimes (4 books)
  • Curse of the Night Wolf (Barnaby Grimes, #1)
  • Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes, #2)
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)