Start by marking “Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)” as Want to Read:
Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)

Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  22 reviews
“The corpses swayed where they stood, their bony arms outstretched before them and tattered sleeves hanging limply in the foggy air. I smelled the sourness of the sewers about them; that, and the sweet whiff of death. Their sunken eyes bored into mine. I was surrounded. . . .”

Barnaby Grimes is a tick-tock lad, delivering messages and running errands all over the city, day
Published March 9th 2010 by David Fickling Books (first published June 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Legion of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legion of the Dead

Starts with a gruesome scene, legions of the dead and all, and ends with the same scene but in between there is lots of fun. Barnaby Grimes is a Tick-Tock lad, delivering messages and solving mysteries all over London by scrambling over the rooftops. Victorian style alterna universe complete with gang land funerals, a seas serpent in the Thames, and zombie (think voodoo kind) soldiers. Fun, a little horror, a little magic, a lot of adventure good for grades 3-5.
Yami
4 and a half stars.

this little book setting calmly in a shelf of used-books caught my attention, and glad I picked it up , it had more adventures and originality, than any -more than 400P. YA book I read lately,

loved it soo much, it appears like a diary of Barnaby Grimes a Tick-Tock lad, with too many stories, that made me think it might be one of those books, just narrating the many adventures of the protagonist in one book,
but I was WRONG, all the stories are connected and cleverly too,

narra
Littlebearries
Characters:
Barnaby: The main character, he is a tic-toc lad, in other words, an errand boy. He makes his living doing this, and it leads him into all sorts of trouble.
Blindside Bailey: An old war veteran who now sells newspapers and lives penny to penny... he has quite the tale to tell.
Professor Pinkerton-Barnes: Barnaby's friend who asks him to try out all his zany experiements.

Illustration: One of the best parts of this series is Paul Riddell's amazing, graphic, dark illustrations.

Writing: I
Glenn
Although it takes a very long time to get started, (the first half has nothing to do with the second half) this strange story reads more like a graphic novel than the standard juvenile adventure. Great vocabulary from the author, but his style is a bit overwritten. A quick fun read but pretty pointless.
Amanda
May 24, 2010 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine, kids who like horror, scary stories, and mysteries
I entered the giveaway for this book without realizing that this was a series. That said, I did enjoy this book and I didn't feel extremely lost. The illustrations are nice in a horrific kind of way. I think this might be best suited for an older kid, starting around 9, maybe 10, because of the semi-graphic descriptions of the Legion of the Dead. There are also some words and phrases that would fly right over most younger kid's heads. Overall I enjoyed the quick pace of the mystery and the actio ...more
Lizzy
Yet again, a fantastic story in this series. I was a little disappointed that the girl that changed Barnaby's life wasn't mentioned in this book, and another girl was introduced. I thought in the previous book that the girl had been central to Barnaby's life, and to his development and growth as a character, but in this story, he was reverted back to the way he was in the first book. It saddened me. However, these stories are imaginative, full of adventure, but still appropriate for a younger au ...more
Andrew
This was the most enjoyable of the series and i think the highlight so far. Again i will not give the story away but you do get the feeling for a such a down to earth character he is put through all sorts of amazing events which i am sure you can guess from werewolves, to possession to armies of the dead Barnaby Grimes seems to be able to find his way to the centre of any adventure.
Antonia
fittingly, the book starts with a funeral and ends with a zombie army with a special purpose. a nice straightforward story encompassing london and india, the "british" army, a lot of gangsters and barnaby grimes.
again written well, reads easily and the drawings accompanying the story are brilliant too.
i love the series.
Angela
I liked the first one better. The zombie element was fun with a little variation from the norm. I often wonder with this author the age range of these books. They are easy to read but add challenging vocabulary and can be descriptive with the little violence included in the books.
Mary
Barnaby Grimes is a tick tock lad, meaning he is a messenger in a Victorian-like London-like setting, and his stories are made much more interesting by the marvelous illustrations. This is a collaboration between a clever artist and a clever author who write great adventures for boys.
Victoria
before reading this book I had watched a really scary zombie movie and so I wasn't sure about reading this book. But I decided to get over it and read it anyway and it was really good!
It was alittle scary, but what else would you expect from a book about the living dead?
Brett
I love this series in spite of not being a horror aficionado. The drawings, of course, are amazing, & the atmosphere of the parallel-universe 19th-century London is fantastic. I want to hear more of Barnaby's adventures, & of his budding friendships.
Chelsy
Oh, my gosh! Walking skeletons in London! And that guy was all 'Resident Evil' style on the zombies! (view spoiler) That part is so scary!
Kell
The third installment of the Barnaby Grimes series is every bit as enthralling as the first two. They keep getting darker as Barnaby is thrust into yet more thrilling adventures. I’ll definitely be getting hold of the last in the series…
Heather
I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than the previous two. I'm glad I gave the series another shot!
Aubrey Hinchman
This book was probably the MOST terrifying of the series. yet, it didn't interest me as much as the others.
Benna
I really liked this one but it was freaky. See curse of the Night Wolf for full review.
Floyd
A good children's book if you want to read something scary and adventurous.
Sophie
Probably the best Barnaby Grimes book so far, in my opinion.
Wyntrnoire
Fun read. Five stars for the artwork.
Michael
This series just keeps going strong!
James
Brilliant adveture!
Zane
Zane is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Andyem
Andyem marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Rafaella Bueno
Rafaella Bueno marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Diana Hayes
Diana Hayes marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Ryuuki Heartfilia
Ryuuki Heartfilia marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Megan Ferguson
Megan Ferguson marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • A Plague of Bogles
  • The Penalty (Paul Faustino, #2)
  • The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost #1)
  • The Bone Tiki (Aotearoa, #1)
  • The Starkin Crown
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • The Three Loves of Persimmon
  • Moment of Truth (The Laws of Magic, #5)
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • The Midnight Charter
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki
More about Paul Stewart...

Barnaby Grimes (4 books)
  • Curse of the Night Wolf (Barnaby Grimes, # 1)
  • Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes, #2)
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1) Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2) The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4) The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5) Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)