The Sherbrooke Bride (Brides, #1)

The Sherbrooke Bride (Sherbrooke #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  3,546 ratings  ·  133 reviews
Douglas Sherbrooke, Earl of Northcliffe, is a man besieged. He must have an heir. Thus, he must first provide himself with the requisite bride. Alexandra Chambers, youngest daughter of the Duke of Beresford, has loved Douglas Sherbrooke since she was fifteen. Unfortunately, it is her sister, the incomparable Melissande, he wishes to wed.

But life never ladles out what one e...more
Mass Market Paperback, 409 pages
Published April 1st 1992 by Jove (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Sherbrooke Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sherbrooke Bride

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
300th out of 1,978 books — 3,766 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
My Favourite Historical Romance
186th out of 1,304 books — 1,652 voters

More lists with this book...

Eleanor
Why do I read these? These men are also described as being really hairy. I don't understand the whole wanting to grip heaps of chest hair. They also never describe that he probably has a lot of ass hair as well. Grabbing a fistful of chest hair? Evidently that is sexy, but just once I want a romance novel to talk about her stroking his furred behind. Maybe she could grip the tufts of virile butt hair and tug him closer and closer to her furry mound...something like that.
Christine
I've read this book twice, once half a lifetime ago when I was a teenager and again this week. It's interesting the perspective that comes with experience. I still enjoyed the book, but in a different way. As a teenager who wasn't entirely sure she was supposed to be reading romance at all, I took it at face value and enjoyed the love story. As an adult, I realized that there is a great deal of satire in here. The author is trying -- and now succeeding -- at being funny.

The setup is completely...more
Sonia
Usually I don't read a book without reading reviews of what other people thought of the book, but I just happened to see this book and decided to try it. Now the whole idea sounded nice, where Douglas gets an unexpected bride, Alexandra, so I understood his temper at the beginning at being deceived, but I kept on getting frustrated as the novel went on because he kept comparing her to her beautiful sister Melissande and just humiliating her sometimes. And the love scenes were awful in my opinion...more
Melanie
I reviewed this book for my blog www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com

A couple of months ago I've read "The Valcourt Heiress" by CC, and my disappointment was so profound, that I gave that book a very scathing review, which brought forth a very lively discussion on Amazon, as well as with some of my personal friends. Some people agreed with me [...], and others not so much. In rereading my review of that book, I admit to being a bit harsh; however I still stand behind my words.

This being a New Ye...more
Leea
Dec 28, 2011 Leea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leea by: Wendy F
Historical Romance is on of my favorite genres. I know it's not flashy or hip but there is just something about going back in time, feeling like you're apart of history or even that innocent first kiss. The Sherbrooke Bride is one of the best written Historical Romance books that i've read it a very long time. It's smart, witty, crass, sharp, bold and very sexy.

Alexandra is the sister that no one noticed, she's plain, smart, funny and wears out of date dresses because her sister is the beautif...more
Amarilli Settantatre
da www.sognipensieriparole.com
Questo romance “introvabile” ha ben vent’anni, e direi che si sentono quasi tutti.
In realtà, è probabile che, dopo vagonate di romance molto più erotici o con trame spionistico-avventurose, le lettrici di oggi (in cui mi auto-inserisco) siano molto più smaliziate e abbiano gusti più esigenti, sia per quanto riguarda le scene passionali, sia per quanto riguarda la credibilità di intrighi e complotti.
Qui siamo nel 1805, in piena epoca di guerre napoleoniche, e il con...more
Wendy F
There is nothing like stepping back into familiar shoes. I have read this book at least 100 times since my first as a young teen, and I still love it and enjoy it just as much now as I did then.

Is it a bit cheesy? Oh yes, in the absolute best possible way. The thing is, it's supposed to be a Historical Romantic Comedy, and if you remember that while you read it then you will see the same magic I do. In it's own way it's making fun of Regency romances, the male characters are all a bit overly pom...more
Bakudis
This not my Fav book from CC.. Douglas is Mean Hero.

I dont like him for half book.
From the first page i gusess 50% He always humiliate h (Alex). Blame her because he can't married with his dream woman 3 years before.

Disapprove about her style.

Insult and often compare her because she not beautiful like her sister Mellisande.

Her sister Melli so annoying, she beautiful beyond compare,she always think men would bewitched if see her. Fortunate Mellisande married with Douglas cousin Tony. Tony instan...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Not a good read for me. I disliked both the hero and heroine. Hero was a jerk of the first degree and the heroine was a doormat. That said I will say the writing style was good. It had a good flow and moved at a good pace and not a lot of filler to bore you.
Mitashi
A very different and very sweet story of a girl who loved the hero but the hero is so blinded by her sister's beauty that he doesn't look her way.. And than things changes... So much.. It was he'll of a interesting story.. Which I enjoyed immensely...
Netha
Novel CC pertama yang buat aq langsung jatuh cinta & hunting novel2 CC

buku 1 bride series...

bercerita ttg douglas sherbrooke,earl of northcliffe yg sudah waktunya menikah.
memutuskan untuk menikah melisande chambers, putri sulung lord... (wakakakaka again lupa nama bokapnya). melissande adl gadis tercantik di inggris.
karena harus off ke france, douglas meminta sepupunya tony untuk menikahi melissande by proxy. alih2 menikahi melisande by proxy for his cousin, tony decides to marry Melissande...more
Kelly
I was reading this book the whole time waiting and waiting for the Hero to wake up and love Alex. He is a mean SOB and while I appreciate the fact that he didn't instantly fall to her heals and utter undying love I would have appreciated a little less verbal abuse. My heart just ached for her. I mean how beautiful can Melissande be? Really!

This was my first Coulter novel and while I zipped through this one and liked it there were far to many things I didn't like.

The first 100 pages were slow. I...more
Mounika
Well well well....

I liked Alexandra but not that Douglas, half the book he acts like jerk and he is like king of jerks.

Douglas wants to marry Melisande the beautiful and desirable sister of Alexandra. He's detained due to a mission and sends Tony( I like this fellow :D ), his cousin to marry Melisande by proxy. But when Tony reaches Claybourne Hall, he's bewitched by Melisande's beauty and marries her. Alexandra gets married to Douglas. When Douglas comes back he finds himself married to Alex

maricar
there's enough of everything in this novel---humor, passion, and realistic human emotional obstacles. it's funny to witness how douglas loses self-control whenever he feels aroused with alex--and then promises to himself that next time, he would be better behave. its so cute :P

and alex is an absolute treasure. she's so naive about her own charms, its quite funny. the secondary characters are also fun to read.

this is one of ms. coulter's best. i admit im not one of her big fans since im disappo...more
Jen Warren
I don't know why I keep reading Coulter's books...

(WARNING - ALMOST ALL MY REVIEWS HAVE SPOILERS)

Douglas Sherbrook arranges to have himself wed by proxy to the most beautiful girl he ever saw. No huge surprise that this doesn't work out well, though I was somewhat surprised that he was still married - just to the wrong girl.

Confused yet? The setup actually isn't that bad here. I'm butchering it because it's been a while since I read, and small details are escaping me. The larger ones, however, a...more
Nichole

READ THIS BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Well, hell! If it isn't the worst book I've read! Okay, I don't know where it started to be so painfully horrible because I really liked the story line and at first it was really wonderful, it has an emotional appeal and the cruelty of Douglas towards Alexandra could have brought tears in my eyes when he found out that his cousin, Tony, have married her instead of her sister, Melissande, who he really intended to marry. You see, Douglas' family is forcing him to g...more
Ladysatel
The Sherbrooke Bride by Catherine Coulter

Douglas Sherbrooke, 4th Earl of Northcliffe knows he needs to marry and have children to carry on the family line. He has had several children by various mistresses, all of them well provided for, but he needs an heir.

However he has not met any woman in several years that he feels would make him a good wife. Then he remembers an old flame he proposed to before, who had turned him down. He plans to go see Melissande, daughter of Edouard Chambers, Duke of B...more
Mo
For a time back in the 80’s & 90’s, my reading material of choice was frequently bodice rippers, historical fiction, and regency romances with a few contemporary best sellers thrown in for good measure. Most of them were pretty steamy (blush) &/or overly romantic, but I read them during a time in my life when I found myself as a single parent, and these books fit the bill. I found them to be highly entertaining.

I recently donated a slew of them, but I wanted to catalog them all the same...more
Kaila
Another example of why Catherine Coulter is one of my favorite historical romances authors. It's obvious that she takes time to develop her characters and it pays off for her and her stories. The characters are so true and lovable that one cannot help but to feel connected and invested in them as well as their lives and stories. (Read the rest of my book review.)
Petula
This is such a funny book in so many places. Douglas is so arrogant I wanted to batter him.
Alex fell for Douglas when she was only fifteen. When he decides to marry her older sister she is upset. Douglas has to go on government business to France,so he asks his cousin Tony to marry his bride for him by proxy. Tony falls in love with Douglas' betrothed and elopes to Greta Green with her.
Alex's family decide one bride is as good as another for Douglas Tony marries Alex by proxy for Douglas.
When...more
Becky Mcgill-collins
Probably my favorite of the 'Bride' series.
Debbie Lester
My Snopsis:

The Sherbrooke Bride is the first book in the Bride Series by Catherine Coulter.

Douglas Sherbrooke the Earl of Northcliffe is in need of an heir to carry on the family name. He decides to wed the beautiful, Melissande daughter of the Duke of Beresford. Unfortunately, duty comes first and Sherbrooke must send his cousin to wed his new bride by proxy while he is away on a mission.

But, when the Earl returns he is married to the wrong sister. His cousin has married Melissande and stuck hi...more
Fairy / Anna
I read this book long time ago... Back when I was in love with het historical romance novels :P I know it has some serious flaws and if I read this yesterday, I would probably criticise it in every possible way. Really, it is not a good book. But... If you like historical romances and this kind of stories are your thing - hero is an asshole, who is in love with other woman, and treats his wife rather bad - you might like it xD
I have no idea what I was thinking those years ago, but it looks like...more
Jody
Ashley-Anne
I liked the idea of this book. That is all I liked about it. I hated every female character, except Alexandra (who seems to have magic breasts) and by the end I didn't really care for her either, and I liked all the male characters except the hero, whom I loathed! Even the quasi villain had more honour than the hero! He was an overbearing, pompous, rude, cruel man who mistreated his wife carelessly even when he finally decided he "loved" her! Admittedly, she was involved in the marriage switch t...more
Maureen Feeney
Although this may not be my favourite CC book it is still a good read.

Douglas Sherbrooke, Earl of Northcliffe has to settle down so decides to wed the incomparable Melissande Chambers,but before he can marry her he is sent on a mission to France.He sends his cousin Tony to marry her by proxy, but Tony and Mellie fall in love and elope.Tony then marrys Mellies sister Alex to Douglas by proxy instead. Confused? So was Douglas when he came home, and all hell broke lose.

The plot here is really good...more
Kate Dirty Girls' Good Books
Douglas, Earl of Northcliffe, needs a bride and an heir to get his family off his back. Due to a scheduling conflict, he sends his cousin, Tony, to wed the beautiful Melissande by proxy. Unfortunately for Douglas, Tony and Melissande fall madly in love and elope. Not wanting to return to Douglas empty handed, Tony makes the choice to proxy-marry Melissande's younger sister, Alexandra, to Douglas instead -- without informing him.

Douglas spends most of the book telling Alexandra he wishes she were...more
Rhapsody
May 12, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Coulter readers
Incredible, a Coulter novel without physical abuse and rape. It's the first in the Brides series. Douglas, the Earl of Northcliffe, is 28. He proposes to his old flame, Melissande, who agrees in order to save her family. However, the same week he's to be married, he's given a mission in France, so he sends his cousin Tony to marry him to Melissane by proxy. Tony takes Melissande for himself and marries Douglas to Melissande's younger sister, Alexandra (18).

Such an annoying book. I understand Ton...more
anenko
When I was in my early teens, I used to devour (interchangeable) historical romances. This particular novel finds Douglas, the Earl of Northcliffe, being pressured to get married and provide a heir by his large (obnoxious) family. He decides on Melissande, "a diamond of the first order," whom he lusted after before going off to war. Unfortunately, duty calls, and Douglas is not able to attend his own marriage. He sends his cousin Tony to marry him to Melissande by proxy. Tony and Melissande fal...more
Debbie

Feeling the families pressure to produce an heir, the Earl of Northcliffe, Douglas Sherbrooke finally decided on taking a beautiful women he had known years before, Melissande Chambers. Getting a personal request from his country for help, Douglas had few options. Heading to France on a mission himself and leaving his cousin Tony Parrish, Lord Rathmore to marry for him by proxy. On his return he discovered that Tony had married Melissande as well as her sister Alexandra Chambers.

Book 1 ….. I ha...more
Did Douglas and Alex have a daughter? 5 36 Oct 24, 2013 03:50PM
I liked this one 2 29 Sep 02, 2013 12:02PM
  • Lost Lady (Lady, #2)
  • That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides, #.5)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Reckless
  • Say You Love Me (Malory-Anderson Family, #5)
  • The Princess (Bride Quest, #1)
  • Impulse
  • Desired
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)