Start by marking “One Night in the Zoo” as Want to Read:
One Night in the Zoo

One Night in the Zoo

So, what did the other animals do? You can count on them to astonish you! It's the beginning of an extraordinary night of wild antics, high spirits and unthinkable surprises from all the zoo animals, and still nobody knew --except of course, YOU!
Published March 1st 2010 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about One Night in the Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night in the Zoo

Kerry
Jan 15, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parent's. Teachers
The first sentence of this book already captures the audience ‘One magical, moonlit night in the zoo’, and leads you the reader wanting to find out more. The book describes all of the things some Zoo animals get up to when the moon is out for example we have an elephant jumping in the air and flying, lions doing card tricks and bears making stews!. Come morning the Zoo keepers are left wondering why the animals are so tired and asking each other what have the animals got up to during the night – ...more
Lizzie Clarkson
Oct 26, 2016 Lizzie Clarkson rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, zoo, counting
This is a rhyming book that helps children learn to count. It is about what all the animals do when there are no humans around.
Sharmin Ali
Jun 26, 2014 Sharmin Ali rated it it was amazing
One night in the zoo, the weirdest unexpected things were happening. An elephant jumped in the air and flew, a Kangaroo and crocodile were cycling, lions were doing magic tricks, and bears were cooking and many other strange things. The zoo wasn’t as it was thought to be. The animals were doing all sorts of things. When the sun rises and the zoo keeper comes back, the animals go back to acting as ‘normal’. The zoo keepers say that the animals look so tired what could they have been up to but the ...more
David Walker
Sep 08, 2013 David Walker rated it liked it
This is a light hearted imaginative story on what animals get up to when nobody is looking. It uses rhyming words and keeps the reader uplifted with the turn of the next page. The story comes up with some fascinating activities that the animals undertake when nobody is around. The reoccurring line at the end of each sentence finishes with the same line, making the reader want to raise their voice each time it is repeated.

I would recommend this book for early years and I think it is fun for a gro
LeAnne
An imaginative rhyming frolic after hours in the zoo, which no one knows about except the reader. Each adventure involves one more character in the style of a counting book, but I liked that the last page shows all, so we didn't have to interrupt the flow of the rhyme to practice counting on each page. The story reminded me of "Night at the Museum" for a younger audience. The colored pencil drawings are rather subdued, which isn't inappropriate for night time, but may not be as appealing to chil ...more
Mar 17, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
What do animals do at night in the zoo? Kerr imagines a whimsical and fun evening for a variety of zoo animals. The final page of the story reviews the animals and reinforces counting concepts.

This will appeal to the preschool set as a lovely bedtime story. I didn't love the illustrations -- the lions and bears looked a bit too much like people in costumes and the soft colors, which soothing, lack the whimsy of the rhymes. Recommended for public library collections.
Dawn
Sep 22, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it
Really fun story. We have had stuffies in our classroom that some of us are SURE move when we're not looking, so the things the author writes that animals might do after the zoo closes makes perfect sense.

I didn't point out the number pattern, but my class noticed it right away. We talked about how it was a pattern increasing by one.

Beautiful illustrations. We will really enjoy reading this book to our Reading Buddies.
Angel Serrano
Por la noche, los animales del Zoo salem de las jaulas y juegan en grupos de uno, dos, tres,... Hasta diez animales. Ideal manera de contar, siempre que se acuerden de volver a sus jaulas a dormir antes de que salga el sol y vuelva el guarda.
Donalyn
What do animals do when the zoo is closed? This counting books describes the antics and games of zoo animals that "Nobody knows" about.
Numerous spelling variations for the "oo" sound will appeal to primary teachers.
Katie
Nov 19, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book for children. It teaches numbers whilst telling a nice story about what zoo animals do at night.
Sarah BT
Mar 02, 2012 Sarah BT rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations that are soft and colorful-perfect for bedtime. It's a counting book combined with animals and some fun antics about a moonlit night. This would be great for storytime!
Sherri
Jul 22, 2010 Sherri rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Phonological awareness. Number recognition. Good for storytime.
Darla
Apr 24, 2015 Darla rated it liked it
Counting book good to read with a child.
Tara Calaby
The illustration in this one is interesting and a little unusual, because it's all done in pencil. Nice, though. Unfortunately, the rhymes are rather clunky.
Paula
Apr 02, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it

One magical night an elephant jumped in the air and flew. Wild antics, high spirits and silly games of the other zoo animals also occur. Will anyone find out?
Tyla
Tyla rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2015
Jessica Bennett
Jessica Bennett rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Leshay
Leshay rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2017
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2012
Rosie
Rosie rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2015
ELAINE-ELMASRI
ELAINE-ELMASRI rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Courtenay
Courtenay rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Kate Burden
Kate Burden rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
Brennan
Brennan rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Jasmine Olivia
Jasmine Olivia rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2013
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Yuna K
Yuna K rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Kerr :

Judith Kerr is a German-born British writer and illustrator who has created both enduring picture books such as the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea and acclaimed novels for older children such as the autobiographical When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit which give a child's-eye view of the Second World War.

Kerr was born in Berlin but left Germany wi
More about Judith Kerr...