Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender 1” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender 1

Avatar: The Last Airbender 1 (Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics #1)

4.52  ·  Rating Details ·  8,328 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews

At the South Pole, a lone water tribe village struggles to survive. Young waterbender Katara and her warrior brother Sokka rescue a mysterious boy named Aang, who is an airbender—a race of people no one has seen in a century. Soon, everyone discovers that Aang is the long-lost Avatar. Now it’s up to Katara and Sokka to make sure that Aang faces his destiny: to save the wo
Published June 22nd 2010 by Del Rey (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avatar

brian
i have this theory about television (well, really all pop culture, but let’s stick with t.v.) – that it can, in its entirety, be reduced to three things, my holy trinity of pop culture:

1) schadenfreude
2) panty-sniffing
3) happy tears

the first requires no explanation: taking delight in the misfortune of others is the bread and butter of talk shows, reality t.v., most sitcoms, and hour long dramas. the second is all that obligatory sex shit and covers just about all cop procedural shows, law and o
Despair Speaking
Ah, Avatar: The Last Airbender. It was and still is one of my favorite cartoon series ever! Although there are some parts that I found unrealistic, corny, and/or not well thought out, it managed to keep me hooked until the very last episode! That reminds me, I never checked the new Avatar series yet... Oh, well.

This comic is a tie-in with the cartoon series. It's pretty loyal to it and the pictures are taken from the series itself (at least that's what I think). It was a fun read and a must-have
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I love and adore everything to do with Avatar, but this little book was really just a cut and paste of screenshots from the TV show, and that doesn't exactly work well for a book.

If there had been new art that was created for a book format, it would have looked better and flowed better for a written story. A lot of the time the action wasn't clear, because the panels weren't created to make that action clear on paper.

Other Avatar comics that I've seen (like The Search or The Rift) were actuall
Claire
Aang, the avatar, is found after years of sleep and has learned to discover a whole new world. Now he has to adapt to the new world where the fire nation holds power and put a end to the world's suffering. The books are based on the Nickelodeon animated series. The graphics are well done and the story is a lot of fun.
Melissa
I bought this as a tangible token of my favorite animated series in Nickelodeon. The scenes on tv seemed to jump out of the screen and into the pages of this book. I've watched it so many times with my children that I can already anticipate the dialogues of each graphic scene. I still read them anyway and came close to brain injury! The grammatical error is over the top! Everytime I encounter one it's like hearing a crystal glass break. I can understand a couple of typos, or a few that the edito ...more
Delaney dowding
brekkersbutt
Aug 05, 2016 brekkersbutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently obsessed with this show help
Samantha
Apr 04, 2013 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Long ago, these four nations lived in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. A hundred years have passed, and Katara and her brother, Sokka, are out fishing in the seas of the South Pole. What they catch, however, is the last thing anyone expected—a boy frozen in an iceberg. Aang is only twelve years old, and carefree as can be, but there is a secret he is hiding. Could he be the Avatar the world has desperately needed, the one who can bring bal ...more
Eulalia
Aug 14, 2012 Eulalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to, read-to-slef
when i read avatar the last airbender. when ktara broke a ice where anag was they didn't knew that anag was the avatar until the fire benders got him when they got him. A old lady told ktara and her brother sokka that anag was a air bender.When anag was in the fire benerds ship he escape with his elment air.when he went to the southern air temple where he was born all his friends died and his master beacuse anag ran away when he siad if the avatar can have a family. The master siad no beacuse it ...more
Alex G
Mar 03, 2016 Alex G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avatar Volume 1 by Michael Dante DiMartino is a adventure story about the last airbender, Aang. Aang an airbender that was frozen in a block of ice for 1000 years. When he was frozen, his whole entire village was destroyed and was the last temple of air benders. The retched person who would do this was the Fire Lord, King of the whole entire world and won't stop hurting people until the last town is in his possession. Avatar Volume 1 has an incredible story line to it and I really loved the char ...more
Jeffrey
This is a screen shot collection of the first episode or two of the Avatar: The Last Airbender series and, as adaptations go, it does okay.

Many of the shots are too small to convey scale. There are two full page pictures in the book, both are title page splashes and there are rare two-third-of-a-page shots but most are significantly smaller than that. I'd complain more about it but they pack a lot of story and character development into the 86 page volume. Coming from the manga world, it seems
Kelly
Dec 16, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books are based on the Nickelodeon animated series. The graphics are well done and the story is a lot of fun. We have a young boy, Aang, who is the Avatar but didn't want to be. He was found in an iceberg by a young water bender and her brother. He hadn't realized he had been in there for 100 years. The Fire tribe had attacked just after Aang was frozen and are trying to take over the world. The Avatar is the only one who can stop them.

It is a fun story as Aang doesn't take anything too ser
Amy Brown
May 14, 2008 Amy Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the world of the South Pole where there are waterbenders, earth benders, fire benders and air benders, only one avatar who has mastered all four of the elements can keep everything in balance. When he disappears, a war starts and after 100 years the fire society has almost conquered everyone. Waterbender Katara and her brother Sokka rescue a boy named Aang from a block of ice. It appears that Aang is an airbender from a society of people who disappeared many years ago. He is the last Avatar a ...more
ghadir
Jan 18, 2016 ghadir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, fantasy, 2016, 4
Wow … I really love this book! Although I don't love books with illustrations I think this book is worth reading. Seriously. If you (like me) don't like books with illustrations so I recommend you to give this book a pretty little chance to show you the magical story! Yeah, and the magical illustrations.

I'm just little critic about the length. I wished for more. I know it's a graphic book and graphic books is usually very short and whatever. BUT I STILL WANT MORE!

(Sorry for the crazy review)
Fatema Al Fardan
Having the Avatar Nickelodeon TV series memorized, reading this book was a bit of a disappointment.

I could almost hear the TV series's narrator reading the words in the book to me. The 'graphic' pictures were an exact replica of the shots in the series. I was not impressed with the pictures arrangement.

The book contained a tiny tidbit of the first episode in the Nickelodeon series. I did not expect it to be this short.

I was looking for originality. Maybe it is my fault for selecting the wrong b
Jim
Feb 16, 2011 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cine-Manga. Aang, the last airbender has been freed from anartartic ice he's been frozen in for a hundred years. Aang thinks he's been frozen only an hour or two and is shocked tobe told the world is at war and he may be its last, only, hope for all peoples to have peace. The Firebenders want to capture and destroy him. Aang, his flying white bison and his rescuer Katara are off to save the world. The end of this first novel has them in great danger.

v. enjoyable, much more than i thought it woul

My daughter and I both read this, being fans of the TV show. There's no new story here. It just tells the same story as the first animated episode so can't really comment on the storyline in this form. But the art is nice and it keeps my daughter occupied if she's unable to watch the first episode on TV.
Hello
The beginning of a empire's demise starts with a boy stuck in ice. Aang, the avatar, is found after years of sleep and has learned to discover a whole new world. Now he has to adapt to the new world where the fire nation holds power and put a end to the world's suffering. The simplistic characters in this story makes it a very enjoying read with a little bit of comical events here and there.
Bregje (B a Reader)
This was an enjoyable read because I like the story of Avatar, but the execution of this comic was poor. The pictures seemed to be screenshots from the series and some of them were quite pixelated. I did not like the arrangement of the panels, and the background was distracting.
The illustrations were quite static, so a lot of the action was conveyed through narration.
Brittany Erica
Apr 05, 2015 Brittany Erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's literally just the first episode of the tv show in book form. i don't know if i like it because i like the show so much. a part of me wants to be upset that it isn't ANY different but at the same time i picked this book up kind of exoecting it to be that way so i don't know. five stars. lol whatever.
Maryam
Jan 28, 2015 Maryam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE IT. ABSOLOUTELY LOVE IT. The ending though am not sure of. Nonetheless, it has got to be my favourite animated series so far. It handles such sophiaticated aspects like war and politics and selfsearching intelligentaly.
Goshen PL Childrens
Original nomination suggestion: "I like the avatar book because it is exciting"

Ms. Laura: This graphic novel was a fun adventure. I wasn't as taken as the kids. It works as a gateway book for younger readers who are new to graphic novels.
Ordinary Dahlia
Jan 03, 2010 Ordinary Dahlia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku yang mengawali 2010. G baca dari buku 2 sampai dengan 15

G pikir2 ini buku cukup mengerikan karena jauh2 g beli di Lampung langsung 14 biji sekaligus melanggar resolusi g untuk tidak banyak beli buku. Padahal kemaren masih tanggal 2 Januari. OH N O ! ! !

Duane
Apr 17, 2009 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a Avatar fan, then this graphic novel is a gem for you! This volume begins the adventure with the gang and it's filled with great illustrations and a easy-to-read writing style. A nice addition to anyone's collection.
Beryl
Jul 22, 2009 Beryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like anime a little bit.
Recommended to Beryl by: A friend of mine.
A boy has to master the 4 elements in one year to save the world.
He is the last airbeneder because every airbender was killed by the firenation. He ran away a day before the attack and enclosed himself in a ball of ice for 100 years. He was found by sokka and Katara.
Jeffrey W
Jan 28, 2012 Jeffrey W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Same as the episode
Elizabeth
The kiddo enjoyed it. Pretty much like watching an episode of Avatar.
Lance
Oct 26, 2011 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was flying awesome. I mean how dose he fly like that? And the part when his arrow started to glow it was just incredible. I wish I could do that.
james smith
Molly
Nov 20, 2010 Molly rated it liked it
Took me like 5 minutes to read, lol.
Future Teachers, ...: Jack Review 5 1 1 Nov 05, 2016 02:19PM
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Promise, #2)
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • Avatar the Last Airbender: The New Master (Avatar, the Last Airbender)
  • Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 2 (Rosario+Vampire, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Journeys Through the Earth Kingdom (The Tale of Aang / The Tale of Azula / The Tale of Toph / The Tale of Sokka)
  • Howl's Moving Castle Picture Book (Howl's Moving Castle Film Comics, #1)
  • The Art of Tangled
  • How to Draw Avatar: The Last Airbender
  • The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 3: The Crab With the Golden Claws / The Shooting Star / The Secret of the Unicorn
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 24 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #24)
  • Bleach―ブリーチ― 49 [Burīchi 49] (Bleach, #49)
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • The Art of Naruto: Uzumaki
  • The Lost Scrolls: Air
Michael Dante DiMartino is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design. His directing credits include the animated series King of the Hill, Family Guy, and Mission Hill. He is a co-creator of the award-winning animated Nickelodeon series Avatar: The Last Airbender and its sequel, The Legend of Korra. DiMartino lives in Los Angeles with his wife. The Rebel Geniuses series is his debut prose wor ...more
More about Michael Dante DiMartino...

Avatar: The Last Airbender Comics (8 books)
  • Avatar Volume 2: The Last Airbender (Avatar #2)
  • Avatar Volume 3: The Last Airbender (Avatar #3)
  • Avatar Volume 4: The Last Airbender (Avatar #4)
  • Avatar Volume 5: The Last Airbender (Avatar #5)
  • Avatar Volume 6: The Last Airbender (Avatar #6)
  • Avatar Volume 7: The Last Airbender (Avatar #7)
  • Avatar Volume 8: The Last Airbender (Avatar #8)