Start by marking “The Riders of High Rock” as Want to Read:
The Riders of High Rock

The Riders of High Rock (Hopalong Cassidy #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  904 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Hopalong rode into cattle country just east of the California line looking for his old friend Red Connors. He found Red holed up in a mountain cave with a bullet in his side and a story to tell. The ranchers around Tascotal had been losing their stock, and when Red caught the rustlers in the act, they hunted him down, shot him, and left him for dead. Jack Bolt, a savage, r ...more
Published April 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Riders of High Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riders of High Rock

I love a good Louis L'Amour western. He's a good storyteller who creates interesting characters and places them in beautifully illustrated settings. L'Amour's ability to describe the time and place of his novels, and the small details about life in the old west, makes his stories come alive.

This book, however, is not a good Louis L'Amour western. Early in his career, L'Amour was commissioned to write his four Hopalong Cassidy stories after the success of the movies. He wrote the books under a ps
Larry Killion
The Riders of High Rock. By Louis L’amour.

This is a classic Hopalong Cassidy novel. I was a Hoppy fan. I got my first two-gun set of cap pistols in December 1951. They were small-scale replicas of Hopalong’s Colt 45’s. I watched the old black and white television show faithfully in the last half of the 50’s. This book was large print and easy to read. It is the story of how Hoppy and his old friend Red Conners saved the day when a gang of rustlers was stealing the ranchers blind just east of the
Ken Schloman
Not the best L'Amur but given the fact that he was under the constraints of writing a novel based of the TV character rather than the classic Clarence Mulford character, he did a fair job. Still it is little wonder that for a long time L'Amour refused to acknowledge that he wrote the series. He wanted the character to be like the original rather than the weaker TV image. To see the difference, one should read the original Mulford novels.
I grew up watching John Wayne with my dad. Westerns were a thing in my house, and through the years I grew to like them myself. Men being men, working hard and caring for their own. These are great stories I can listen to while at work. The dialog is a little campy (the audiobook reader does some cheesy voices as well), however they are fun and remind me of being little watching westerns with my dad.
I have never thought of myself as being a fan of Westerns, but I really enjoyed this book. I usually listen to non-fiction books twice, to make sure I got everything. This is the first time I have listened to a work of fiction again after finishing it the first time. I was drawn to the book initially because it is a Hopalong Cassidy book, and my grandmother was a big fan of the television series.

The book follows a typical Western theme where the good guys go hunting for rustlers. After a series
Great escapism. It reminded me of Saturday afternoon matinees at the Romance Theater.
James Sorensen
Book 4 in the Hopalong Cassidy saga. Cassidy is traveling North to see his old friend Red Connors when he finds that Connors has been hunted down and shot. Cassidy gets Red to safety and the sets out to find the rustlers that were chasing Red. Soon another friend from the Bar 20 group gets involved.

L'Amour is a simple writer of great Western stories. His stories are not complex but they are fun to read and give the reader a sense of what the West of the 1800's was really like.

Well worth the read
Aug 03, 2011 Bruce added it
This is a Hopalong Cassidy novel, one of four L'Amour wrote. He wrote them under a psuedo-name, Tex Burn, and never did acknowledge them as his own. He didn't like them, and now I know why. It has a great plot and wonderful characters (like most of his books), but the publisher made him write them to follow the movies and thus they are full of cowboy movie cliches. He didn't like it, and while I enjoyed the story, found the dialog distracting. 2 stars may be too harsh, but I've come to expect a ...more
Elizabeth S
I can see why L'Amour denied writing these Cassidy books. Definitely not up to his usual standard. The characters have less depth and the plot is less intelligent. Less to think about.

And yet, still a fun read. There is some mystery, great adventure, and the classic view of cowboys and the old west. My favorite parts were some tall tales told by a few of the good-guys around the campfire one night.
Hopalong Cassidy is the archetypical Western hero. He is not a lawman. He is simply a man who knows the difference between right and wrong ... and who tends to protect and defend his friends while being protected and defended by his friends. Louis L'Amour wrote four Cassidy novels. This is the 3rd in that series. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
An Odd1
**** "The Riders of High Rock" by Louis L'Amour starts with Hopalong rescuing Red, then unmasking a rustler gang. One sweet gullible gal in the background, tricky tracking, sneaky ambushes, smart horses, hidden hotsprings, and true-life experienced author yield a top-notch tale of exciting action.
A fast and easy read of the Hopalong Cassidy series by L'amour. Not as mercurial as his later books but as always L'amour has a keen sense of both right and wrong and the nature of the human condition.
I'm reading this once again. I've read all of the Louis L'Amour books a couple of times. This one caught my eye and I thought that I'd give another read.
Fredrick Danysh
A Hopalong Cassidy story. When Cassidy finds an old friend in a mountain cave with a bullet wound he goes after the rustlers who shot him.
The first of L'Amour's "Hop Along Cassidy" series I've read. Pretty good western novel, but in my estimation not one of his best.
Another Hopalong Cassidy book. Also pretty good. These are actually longer than most of the regular books L'Amour wrote.
On a western kick and decided to start with the beginning of Louis L'Amour's long history in this genre.
One of his Hopalong Cassidy stories, and a good one.
Larry Farnsworth
Not a big fan of hop along Cassidy stories. No heart,
Partridge Public
Feb 07, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
W L'Am
Joyce Wessel
Joyce Wessel marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Richard Winters
Richard Winters marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
  • Desert Gold
  • Sons of Texas
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Matt Jensen, the Last Mountain Man (Matt Jensen: The Last Mountain Man, #1)
  • The Untamed
More about Louis L'Amour...

Hopalong Cassidy (4 books)
  • The Rustlers of West Fork
  • The Trail to Seven Pines
  • Trouble Shooter
Last of the Breed Hondo Sackett's Land The Walking Drum The Lonesome Gods: A Novel