Start by marking “The Riders of High Rock” as Want to Read:
The Riders of High Rock

The Riders of High Rock (Hopalong Cassidy #3)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,040 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Hopalong rode into cattle country just east of the California line looking for his old friend Red Connors. He found Red holed up in a mountain cave with a bullet in his side and a story to tell. The ranchers around Tascotal had been losing their stock, and when Red caught the rustlers in the act, they hunted him down, shot him, and left him for dead. Jack Bolt, a savage, r ...more
Published April 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Riders of High Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riders of High Rock

Anne
May 23, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok
I love a good Louis L'Amour western. He's a good storyteller who creates interesting characters and places them in beautifully illustrated settings. L'Amour's ability to describe the time and place of his novels, and the small details about life in the old west, makes his stories come alive.

This book, however, is not a good Louis L'Amour western. Early in his career, L'Amour was commissioned to write his four Hopalong Cassidy stories after the success of the movies. He wrote the books under a ps
Larry Killion
Oct 17, 2014 Larry Killion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
The Riders of High Rock. By Louis L’amour.

This is a classic Hopalong Cassidy novel. I was a Hoppy fan. I got my first two-gun set of cap pistols in December 1951. They were small-scale replicas of Hopalong’s Colt 45’s. I watched the old black and white television show faithfully in the last half of the 50’s. This book was large print and easy to read. It is the story of how Hoppy and his old friend Red Conners saved the day when a gang of rustlers was stealing the ranchers blind just east of the
Injuneer
This is one of the four Hop Cassidy novels written by Lous L'amour. Although worth reading, his Cassidy is modeled after the TV character rather than the edgier character of of the original creator Clarence Mulford, which I much prefer.
Benjamin Thomas
Jan 15, 2016 Benjamin Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: western
I’ve never read a Hopalong Cassidy novel or seen a movie or TV show featuring this folk hero but I am a Louis L’Amour fan so I wanted to give his four Hopalong Cassidy books a try. The story here is essentially a cattle rustling story, featuring the bad guys scheming to slowly steal off and rebrand cattle from several surrounding ranches. Hopalong Cassidy and his cohorts find themselves in a heap of trouble as they uncover what is happening, survive several deadly ambushes, and ultimately take t ...more
Patrick
Apr 26, 2010 Patrick rated it liked it
Ed
Jul 17, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, western
#3 in the Hopalong Cassidy series by author Louis L'Amour, writing as Tex Burns. L'Amour hid these novel under a pseudonym because his publisher demanded a kinder and gentler Hoppy in the TV and movie William E. Boyd persona rather than as the hard-bitten cowhand in the Clarence E. Mulford tradition whose series of novels L'Amour had been picked to continue.

The Hopalong Cassidy Novels #3 - Hopalong rode into cattle country just east of the California line looking for his old friend Red Connors.
Thomas
Jul 31, 2014 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never thought of myself as being a fan of Westerns, but I really enjoyed this book. I usually listen to non-fiction books twice, to make sure I got everything. This is the first time I have listened to a work of fiction again after finishing it the first time. I was drawn to the book initially because it is a Hopalong Cassidy book, and my grandmother was a big fan of the television series.

The book follows a typical Western theme where the good guys go hunting for rustlers. After a series
Alyx Tschirhart
Dec 21, 2015 Alyx Tschirhart rated it it was ok
Sadly I found myself mostly disappointed in this novel. Unfortunately, I find this book to be lack luster compared to the first book in this series, The Rustlers of West Fork. The second in the series, The Trail to Seven Pines, was a little bit of a let down compared to the first, but overall I still enjoyed it.

However, I found myself constantly wanting more from The Riders of High Rock. I strongly believe that if another 50 pages or so were put into further developing the plot, it would have be
James Sorensen
Feb 08, 2013 James Sorensen rated it really liked it
Book 4 in the Hopalong Cassidy saga. Cassidy is traveling North to see his old friend Red Connors when he finds that Connors has been hunted down and shot. Cassidy gets Red to safety and the sets out to find the rustlers that were chasing Red. Soon another friend from the Bar 20 group gets involved.

L'Amour is a simple writer of great Western stories. His stories are not complex but they are fun to read and give the reader a sense of what the West of the 1800's was really like.

Well worth the read
Wayland Smith
Nov 21, 2015 Wayland Smith rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of Louis L'Amour, and have read all his books. Sadly, his Hopalong stories are not his best. L'Amour knew how to tell a story and he was very, very good at it. But he was under contract on these, and his writing suffered a bit.

Hopalong Cassidy finds his old friend Red in a cave, wounded badly. Red tells Hopalong about his clash with bad man Jack Bolt. Well, it's a Western, you can guess where it goes from there.

Decent read, not his best work. Recommended to Western fans, L'Amour c
Bruce
Aug 03, 2011 Bruce added it
This is a Hopalong Cassidy novel, one of four L'Amour wrote. He wrote them under a psuedo-name, Tex Burn, and never did acknowledge them as his own. He didn't like them, and now I know why. It has a great plot and wonderful characters (like most of his books), but the publisher made him write them to follow the movies and thus they are full of cowboy movie cliches. He didn't like it, and while I enjoyed the story, found the dialog distracting. 2 stars may be too harsh, but I've come to expect a ...more
McKayla
Sep 06, 2016 McKayla rated it liked it
I grew up watching John Wayne with my dad. Westerns were a thing in my house, and through the years I grew to like them myself. Men being men, working hard and caring for their own. These are great stories I can listen to while at work. The dialog is a little campy (the audiobook reader does some cheesy voices as well), however they are fun and remind me of being little watching westerns with my dad.
Elizabeth S
Feb 12, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Shelves: n-western, c-adult
I can see why L'Amour denied writing these Cassidy books. Definitely not up to his usual standard. The characters have less depth and the plot is less intelligent. Less to think about.

And yet, still a fun read. There is some mystery, great adventure, and the classic view of cowboys and the old west. My favorite parts were some tall tales told by a few of the good-guys around the campfire one night.
Ken Schloman
May 01, 2015 Ken Schloman rated it it was ok
Not the best L'Amur but given the fact that he was under the constraints of writing a novel based of the TV character rather than the classic Clarence Mulford character, he did a fair job. Still it is little wonder that for a long time L'Amour refused to acknowledge that he wrote the series. He wanted the character to be like the original rather than the weaker TV image. To see the difference, one should read the original Mulford novels.
Brian Marshall
May 14, 2016 Brian Marshall rated it did not like it
This really would have worked better as a short story, or a short-short. Too many pages filled with the tedious tracking of cattle and not enough with action or actual plot. I understand L'Amour wrote these Hopalong books under a pen-name and wasn't exactly fond of them. Let that be your indication of their quality. I think I'll be skipping the other 3 in the series.
Villager
May 30, 2011 Villager rated it really liked it
Hopalong Cassidy is the archetypical Western hero. He is not a lawman. He is simply a man who knows the difference between right and wrong ... and who tends to protect and defend his friends while being protected and defended by his friends. Louis L'Amour wrote four Cassidy novels. This is the 3rd in that series. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2011 An Odd1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
**** "The Riders of High Rock" by Louis L'Amour starts with Hopalong rescuing Red, then unmasking a rustler gang. One sweet gullible gal in the background, tricky tracking, sneaky ambushes, smart horses, hidden hotsprings, and true-life experienced author yield a top-notch tale of exciting action.
Steelman
Jul 09, 2012 Steelman rated it liked it
Shelves: western, fiction, 2012, l-amour
A fast and easy read of the Hopalong Cassidy series by L'amour. Not as mercurial as his later books but as always L'amour has a keen sense of both right and wrong and the nature of the human condition.
John
Jun 03, 2008 John rated it liked it
On a western kick and decided to start with the beginning of Louis L'Amour's long history in this genre.
Craig
Nov 26, 2013 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
The first of L'Amour's "Hop Along Cassidy" series I've read. Pretty good western novel, but in my estimation not one of his best.
Chad A. Pentecost
Classic Western

They don't write them like they used to. And that is a shame. The inclusion of Hopalong Cassidy was great. Exciting and realistic story.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 20, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
A Hopalong Cassidy story. When Cassidy finds an old friend in a mountain cave with a bullet wound he goes after the rustlers who shot him.
Dave
Jun 27, 2010 Dave rated it liked it
I'm reading this once again. I've read all of the Louis L'Amour books a couple of times. This one caught my eye and I thought that I'd give another read.
Ron
Oct 07, 2015 Ron rated it it was ok
Although L'Amour is a great story teller, this tale fell a little flat for me. The jokes between a hoppy & Red fell ever more flat, but kept on going on.
Charles
Jul 25, 2010 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
Another Hopalong Cassidy book. Also pretty good. These are actually longer than most of the regular books L'Amour wrote.
Rhett Anthony
Rhett Anthony rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
The Carrot
The Carrot rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Daniel Kibbe
Daniel Kibbe rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Glen
Glen rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Charles Whipple
Charles Whipple rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2011
  • Desert Gold
  • Death Rides a Chestnut Mare (Danny Duggin, #1)
  • Idaho! (Wagons West, #13)
  • Sons of Texas
  • The Untamed
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

Hopalong Cassidy (4 books)
  • The Rustlers of West Fork