Blank-133x176
Claudia and Mean Janin...

Raina Telgemeier

Claudia and Mean Janine: A Graphic Novel (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels #4)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,178 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Claudia and her sister, Janine, may as well be from two different planets. Claudia, who pays more attention to her art than her grades, feels she can't compete with her perfect sister. Janine studies nonstop, makes straight As, and even takes college-level courses. The girls are nothing alike, and they can't agree on anything. While Janine devotes all her time to working o
Paperback
Published April 9th 2009 by Graphix (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and Mean Janine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and Mean Janine

Messaline
sometimes it's funny and it' a good book for girls or maybe boys
Ciara
a graphic novel version of the book by the same name. cute, if not all that memorable. maybe i was distracted because i read it at the laundromat & i kept getting up to see if the wash cycle was finished.

as an aside, i was poking around on youtube last night, & i found a series of videos that act out these graphic novels using american girl dolls. the credits to the videos say that they are based specifically on the graphic novels, & they also mention that the graphic novels are bas...more
Kellee
I really loved that Raina added in some of Dawn's and Mallory's story into this graphic novel since they may not get to have one of their own. I also especially loved the dog washing scene because it reminded me of family circus- so much fun! I also liked the afterword where it explained how the BSC GNs became what they are. So interesting.
Megan Lengel
Claudia and her sister, Janine, may as well be from two diffrent planets. Claudia, who pays more attention to her artwork and the Babysitters Club's new playgroup than her homework, feels like she can't compete with her perfect sister. Janine studies nonstop, makes straight As, and even takes college-level courses.
Ciara
graphic novel version of book #7 from the babysitters club series. very cute. i was somewhat less into this one than i was kristy's great idea, but i also like this book from the original series less than i like the original kristy's great idea. this is the one where janine & claudia have trouble getting along, which is mirrored in jamie newton's jealousy over his baby sister's christening, & the babysitters club hosts a summer play group in stacey's backyard, which claudia has to drop o...more
Mrs W
I’m a fan of Raina Telgemeier’s graphic novels, and I loved the Baby-Sitters Club novels in junior high. I think Raina is a great choice for adapting these stories into a graphic series because her playful, cartoony style is appealing to young readers, and I suspect she’s a fan. (A BSC book made a cameo in her graphic memoir Smile.)

This fourth graphic novel adapts the seventh original novel, and is from almost-eighth-grader Claudia’s perspective. It shows her struggle to be accepted for herself,...more
Holly Letson
While I do love the BSC GNs, I recommend that everyone read the original BSC books by Ann M. Martin before they start these, so that they will understand them completely. I feel like the emotion is somewhat better expressed in the originals. This one is based on BSC #7, Claudia and Mean Janine.
------------------------
Claudia is tired of everyone paying more attention to Janine. Janine is a genius, and that--of course!--makes their parents (and Aunt Mimi!) love her more than Claudia. Claudia ge...more
Sammy
I have yet to read this book but I have read the first two!!!! This is a wonderful book about 4 inspiring middle school girls joining a club called the baby sitters club so you can probably guess what they are doing...... They are baby sitting and through out the series there are twists and turns. The babysitters club is a wonderful graphic novel!!!!!
Lauren
I love how Raina Telgemeier has brought Ann M. Martin's Baby-sitter's Club books to the attention and delight of a new generation. This one is about the most artistic member of the club, vice president Claudia, as she learns to get along with her older sister and helps to take care of grandmother after a stroke. This is a great story with a lot of good lessons, interesting character development and laugh out loud babysitting antics. This is a great way to hook reluctant readers on graphic novels...more
Lisa Overberg
This graphic novel, written in comic strip style, is an adaptation of Ann M. Martin's book which explores family dynamics and relationships among siblings and friends. In one story line, conflict simmers between Janine, the studious sister, and Claudia, the artist. When their grandmother Mimi suffers a debilitating stroke, however, they realize that they do not really know each other very well. Meanwhile, the members of the Baby-sitters Club plan to run a play group during the summer, which lead...more
Brandy
The last of the BSC graphic novels. Raina's art still shines, and her adaptation of this early Baby-Sitters Club novel really captures the highlights of the book. In a lot of ways I'm sad to know Scholastic won't be doing any more of these, but I guess it does free Telgemeier to pursue other projects.

But, oh, this book is sad. This is the one where Claudia's grandmother has a stroke, and I don't know if it's just because I'm an adult now and understand what that means or if it's Raina's presenta...more
Sue
quick, delightful graphic novel for our younger girls. i love that each one has a great message and teaches a valuable lesson. i hope that my students grasp what they are trying to say.
Amanda
This story is about Claudia and the Babysitter's Club. The focus of this story is about sibling rivalry and family relationships. After Claudia's grandmother has a stoke, the whole family has to pull together to support her which ends up bring Claudia and her sister closer together. I was an avid Babysitter's Club series reader when I was younger so I was excited to see it in a graphic novel version. My initial excitement quickly faded as I struggled to get into the story. I have never read a gr...more
Elounor
Short, amusing and adventurous. I really enjoyed this series and when I started reading I just wouldn't stop!!!
Marian
It breaks my heart that this is the last of the BSC graphic novels. I think I loved each one more than the last and if I were still a kid reading these, I'd probably throw a fit of epic proportions over not getting more of them.

While some of the things that were changed were a little jarring, I'd been forewarned and it didn't hurt the story, and since this is where it ends, it couldn't mess up anything that came later. The art pops, the story still makes me a little teary-eyed [you have to love...more
Veronica
I dont know how to start re!ding this book any help plz??!!
Emily Martinez
This book was mainly about Claudia and her siter Janine. Like every family brothers and sisters fight. But Claudia and Janine are completely diffrent people... Claudia loves to paint and loves doing art which in the other side Janine is a very smart girl and focus on her school work and always get good grades. But sometimes Claudia worries that her parents like Janine better because of her good grades and how she is doing very well. But Claudia is just jealous... You have to read the book for mo...more
Heather
Graphic novel based on the original novel by Ann M. Martin. Claudia and Janine are sisters, but sisters who are not alike and do not see eye to eye on anything until a tragic family medical problem brings their differences to light. Can they finally make amends or will they be destined to fight and be at odds with each other for the rest of their lives?

Such a sweet interpretation of Martin's original novels that I used to read when I was younger. My only problem again is that it is not in color...more
Michaela
aNOTHER NICE BOOK FROM THE SERIES.
I'm so sad that this is the last of the BSC graphic novel adaptations, because they're really beautiful. I want to save my copies and give them to my future children, to introduce them to comics and the Baby-Sitters Club in one fell swoop. This book in particular spoke to me a lot, because I related almost painfully to Claudia's older sister, Janine. But all four books are excellent, with gorgeous, expressive cartooning, and I'd recommend them to absolutely anyone.
Leiah
Another cute graphic BSC novel!
Kelly
I thought the facial expressions on the characters were better in this graphic novel than in the previous three. I like Ann M. Martin's original plot line. There are so many characters it can be hard to keep track of them at times and no one ever mentioned Kristy looking left out. But overall, I enjoyed it and finished it quickly. There is also the making of the BSC GNs in the back.
this book was amazing! oh claudia, artistic and bad at math and japanese, you are awesome. i love how martin explores sibling rivalry, a serious medical emergency, and adolescent growth all at the same time. and i just love telgemeier's treatment of the material with her playful and easy-mannered art. i'm sad that this is the last book so far! more please...
Colleen
I really liked this fourth and final BSC graphic novel. And of course because I am a total nerd, I started wondering whether Kristy's mom had already married Watson since they skipped Kristy's Big Day. And I couldn't remember if all of the Kristy/Dawn drama was in this book originally or whether some of it was taken from Dawn and the Impossible Three.
Parry Rigney
Even though the Babysitters Club books are still popular in their original format, it's great to have this fresh and modern graphic novel interpretation. I enjoyed this, loved Raina Telgemeier's art, and really appreciated the section at the end where the artist describes the process by which she's transformed Ann M. Martin's books into graphic novels.
Andrea
I'm so sad this will be the last BSC graphic novel (at least for now). I would have loved to read Boy-Crazy Stacey and Logan Likes Mary Anne! in comic form.

Anyway, Claudia and Mean Janine is great, just like the other three books Raina did. Janine and Mimi are both very cute, and it's fun to see Claudia's room with all the candy hidden here and there.
This was one graphic novel that had a more difficult time beating the original. I would recommend the original novel by Ann M. Martin over this version. Although good, the details (emotions and connections with Claudia's grandmother) in the novel can't be depicted in a graphic novel.
Jenn
This was a birthday present from myself to myself a few years back when I was having the worst birthday ever. I loved the story when I was a kid (it's one of my faves in the series), I love the way Raina brings the BSC to life in pictures, and I love it every time I re-read it.
adrienne member
first of all, i didnt even know it was a graphic novel and my dad was mad at me for reading a childish book but it was only because i couldnt find the real babysitters club books. i am still looking for those books. but this book was good.
My fiance's niece had this with her yesterday, so I decided it would be a good way to make the long car trip seem shorter. It was cute, and I liked when Janine and Claudia finally talked about everything that had been happening.
  • Skater Girl (Babymouse, #7)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5)
  • The Summer Before (The Baby-Sitters Club, #0.5)
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave
Smile (Smile, #1) Drama The Baby-Sitters Club: Kristy's Great Idea (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels, #1) The Baby-Sitters Club: Mary Anne Saves the Day (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels, #3) The Baby-Sitters Club: The Truth About Stacey (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels, #2)