Kiss

Kiss

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  5,934 ratings  ·  486 reviews
Let me tell you all I know for sure. "My name. Shauna."

I woke up in a hospital bed missing six months of my memory. In the room was my loving boyfriend--how could I have forgotten him?--my uncle and my abusive stepmother. Everyone blames me for the tragic car accident that left me near death and my dear brother brain damaged. But what they say can't be true--can it?

I belie...more
Published November 17th 2009 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss

Michelle
Dekker is a master at psychological thrillers and this one is no exception. The story flowed well and I liked the result of the Dekker Healy team effort in writing this book. I loved the twists and how I wasn't really sure who was on whose side as the story progressed. The ending was perfect. There was even a touch of romance. This is one of my favorite Dekker reads. Bravo to the authors for writing a fast paced story with believable intrigue and plenty of tricks for the mind's pleasure! The spi...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
I could not get into this story because I couldn't stand the main character Shauna. She was just too whiny and wimpy. I would have to describe her as the opposite of a strong independent heroine. My main example: after waking up with amnesia, she starts apologizing to everyone for what happened, even though she has no idea what did happen. How can you get behind a character like that?

I can't. And so I can't finish the book.

There does promise to be a lot of action, mystery and intrigue in the sto...more
Janna
One of the things I loved about Erin Healy collaborating with Ted Dekker was that it seemed to take the hard edge (gore) off the thriller aspect of The Kiss and made it a book that engaged me, drew me in, mystified me, thrilled me and I never felt like I had to "close my proverbial eyes". The Kiss has a very strong storyline that made me wonder and kept me guessing. Did Shauna really cause the accident that severely injured her brother? Was there a 3rd person in the car? After her waking up from...more
Nora St Laurent
REVIEW: I have to say I was intimidated by the cover of this book. I
didn't want to read a blood and guts kind of story, or one so scary I
wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Don't judge this book by it's
cover.This is one exciting, action-filled story that doesn't dwell on
the gruesome. For that I'm thankful. It made the book so much more
enjoyable for me because it wasn't gorey. This novel reminds me of Ted
Dekker's books in his early years. I loved them. This story is
intriguing and fascinating as t...more
Lorie
Exciting, tense, interesting premise and gripping writing, which could have been fabulous. BUT the heroine is so incredibly STUPID! Every time she has a chance to act intelligently she chooses to be independent or angry instead, and gets herself and those she loves in trouble.

Premise: The daughter of a presidential candidate discovers a horrible truth about her cold and distant father, and confronts him with it. He made his money owning a huge pharmaceutical company. Immediately after the confro...more
nicole
Half way through the book, I just gave up. Maybe I want it all too fast, too soon, but I hate being a reader left in the dark waiting for the very end to spotlight the plot twists and angles.

I couldn't feel for the main female character because I got tired of her vacillating. "Do I want to know?" "Do I want to forget?" If what happened to her happened to me, I'd want to remember. Far far away from the scene of the crime, but still.
Dana
Ferree
I was shocked!
Why does Ted Dekker need a co-author? I loved "Three," and I thought "White" was unforgetable. I really respected Dekker and appreciated what he was doing for the Christian writing industry. I'm really sorry if something terrible happened to him and he needs someone to help him write a book, but these two authors did not click. They did not work well together. I really don't understand why they even tried. Why was this book published? Did the rough draft of the book get sent to th...more
Elizabeth A.
After a brief set up chapter, the story’s heroine, Shauna McAllister, is involved in a car accident that leaves her in a coma for months. Why is this relevant? Because Shauna’s father is one of the leading Presidential candidates and, prior to her accident, Shauna came upon information which, if true, would destroy everything her father has worked to create and derail his campaign.

However, after coming out of her coma Shauna finds herself suffering from amnesia; she doesn’t remember any of the p...more
Bethany
I would hope that a book co-written by a prolific author and a fiction editor would be better written and edited. The first missing word happened on page 6 of the book! This was not an auspicious beginning.

It also bothered me that despite its setting in Austin, the authors didn't do their research very well. They repeatedly referred to the area of Austin known as Westlake as "West Lake," and they said Barton Springs was somewhere other than Zilker Park. Oops.

I get that Ted Dekker writes a millio...more
Darbyscloset
Feb 09, 2009 Darbyscloset rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Shelves: mystery
I just finished “Kiss” by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy; this is the first book I have read by either of these authors. I have longed to read Ted’s writing for I love mystery and suspense and I understand that he combines these two elements within a Christian framework. The book “Kiss” is a mystery and does include quite a bit of suspense, with tones of religion sprinkled through out. A wealthy family is stretched to the seams by a father-daughter, love hate relationship. The father is running for P...more
Diane
Exerpt

Let me tell you all I know for sure. My name. Shauna.
I woke up in a hospital bed missing six months of my memory. In the room was my loving boyfriend-how could I have forgotten him?-my uncle and my abusive stepmother. Everyone blames me for the tragic car accident that left me near death and my dear brother brain damaged. But what they say can’t be true-can it?

I believe the medicine is doing strange things to my memory. I’m unsure who I can trust and who I should run from. And I’m starting...more
Brittany
Kiss is a wild ride of danger, confusion, secrets and murder. When the story opens, we discover that Shauna knows something important, something that could cause a lot of trouble to people in power. We experience a horrible accident from Shauna's perspective as she and her brother travel home. Then the fun really starts. Shauna wakes from a six week coma to find that her life is a nightmare. Her brother, Rudy, is suffering from brain damage. She has a huge, gaping hole in her memory and can not...more
Monique
Yup I had to give this book the dreaded one star..I hated it. I thought the premise: a girl in an accident who falls in a coma, cant remember a thing and regains her memories and others when she kisses them was kinda cool but thinking again it did sound cheesy..I found this book totally unbelievable, slow and surprisingly badly written considering it was a collabo with an editor. The only plus is that I now realize I do not like reading about amnesia patients..I found the entire book to revolve...more
Hope
It was an interesting concept, definitely, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Thrillers are hard to review that way, so I won't say much about it I guess.

I don't read a lot of thrillers, I think the only other real "thriller" I've read was The Ezekiel Option, which I really liked as well...so maybe this is a sign that I ought to read more of them? :)

I recommend this if you like a good story. By the end of the book, I genuinely hated the bad guys, and yet I felt bad for one of them. Shaun...more
Evelyn
When I find myself trying to decide at which of a multitude of angles I want to focus my review on, then I know the author has fully grabbed my attention. That is where I find myself after blazing through this book. It is well written, fast paced, and thought provoking. I love that it deals with forgiveness of others while also having a message regarding viewing past mistakes with perspective rather than focusing on the pain. Were there gaps in the story that are never fully answered? Yes. Was t...more
Steven
This book about redemption, truth, and letting go of the past is one of my favorite books EVER.

It's very different from many of Dekker's other books, and though I've not read Erin Healy's other books (they're on my list!), I feel like they made an awesome team.

With a slight touch of something special (I won't call it supernatural because it's got an explainable cause), it goes just beyond the normalcy of the typical thriller with this twist: the girl who has lost her memories can steal those of...more
Scott
Great thriller, lots of emotion and psychological tension in this book. In "Kiss," a woman wakes out of a coma with no memory of what happened in the past few months to find herself both up for trial on a drug-related car crash and with a boyfriend that she can't remember. The characters are not what they seem as she slowly gains some sinister memories and uncovers some conspiracies... Also, she develops a psychic ability that I won't reveal here! Great writing, really enjoyed this one.
Tia
Lou
Reseña en español

I don't like the romantic novels, but this one is an exception. I LOVE IT! It wasn't bored and the novel has a lot of mystery. You don't have any idea of what is happening until the end. Moreover, the idea of stealing memories with a kiss is creative and interesting.
Tricia
A mystery with bad guys, suspense, politics, family and romance. No sex, and swearing was simply written as, he swore... Loved that. Seriously it was so refreshing to not have to re-write swear words into something else in my mind while reading them on the page.
Overall, I liked it and will read others by Ted Dekker.
Mattison Domke
I enjoyed this book overall, the characters were well developed and the story kept you reading. Although it was kind of dragged out in the end, I would recommend this book.
Kiss is a well written and suspenseful book. Shauna and her brother, Rudy get in a terrible car accident and she goes into a coma. When she wakes up, she finds out that MDMA was planted into her car and home and Rudy is in critical condition and may never recover. As her father runs for president, she tries to put together w...more
Ally
It was kind of slow at first, but really picked up as Shauna discovered her gift. Some of the medical terms were confusing as were the business terms. Overall, I liked the story and the ending.
Julie
Great book. What happens to the girl and her ability is really quite cool but I wouldn't want to be able to do it. You have got to read this book to find out what I'm talking about. :)
Adam
Fantastic thriller that kept me turning the pages! Couldn't wait to find out who was behind what! I highly recommend this book!
J.S. Bailey
Kiss is one of the fastest-paced novels I have read in recent weeks. I was not bored for one moment!
Monica Johnson
The title of this book makes you believe it will be a bit seductive, but if you have read Ted Dekker you would know that he is a Christian thriller writer...and yes....you can group those two words together! It wasn't as thrilling as his other books. Perhaps this is due to his guest writer? The main character just seemed to do all the wrong things and ask all the wrong questions in order to solve the mystery she was living, it came across as tedious and annoying. The concept was clever, the writ...more
Carol Beaver
I enjoyed the book with its mix of thriller, mystery and a little romance. I am fascinated by all things brain, so I liked the thread of pharmacology and memory. The characters were interesting though not entirely consistent, but then am I? While I thoroughly enjoyed the book, I did not give it a 5 because of the very thing that intrigued me, the memory and the pharmacology. When I read Robin Cook, he makes me believe the scenarios he has created could happen, might even be on someone's hidden l...more
Christa Pelc
Dekker should create a Christian Lifetime Network. While his plots are definitely suspenseful, they seem to be similar. And the characters, too-- a helpless, small/weak female protagonist surrounded by two men. One of these men is unrealistically sweet and helpful and turns out to be a liar, deceiver, cheat, etc.... and the other is (again) unrealistically sweet and helpful and (SURPRISE) a good Christian man (who acts a lot like Edward Cullen in that everything he does is for her).
I love a good...more
Tabitha
When I heard Ted Dekker's newst novel Kiss was coauthored I was scared! He is by far my favorite author and I was afraid his style wouldn't shine through. The line between Dekker's voice and Erin Healy's cannot be found. Their styles flow together brilliantly, creating an unforgetable thriller. (I'm sure their prior work together helped).
Healy gives some great insight into the mind of the main character, both being female. Or is it Dekker's alter-ego Samantha? (Any Thr3e fans out ther)? Severe...more
Goodreads Librari...: cover is in Spanish 5 160 Jan 04, 2013 07:19PM
  • Never Let You Go
  • To Kill With Reason
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • Gone to Ground
  • Shade
  • Scream
  • Monster
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • The Sacrifice
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Double Minds
  • The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2)
  • Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...
Thr3e Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1) White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3) Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2) Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)

“Pain or perspective, that's the choice.'
. . .
You choose pain - you choose to fight it, deny it, bury it - then yes, the choice is always hard. But you choose perspective - embrace your history, give it credit for the better person it can make you, scars and all - the choice gets easier every time.”
67 likes
“The pain was so deep and so raw. There were days I would have died just to forget. The problem was, I couldn't figure out how to get her out of my mind. How do you kill that kind of pain?” 49 likes