Thursdays at Eight

Thursdays at Eight

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  2,923 ratings  ·  246 reviews
For four women who meet for breakfast every Thursday at eight, their differences only serve to draw them closer together as they share in each other's sorrows and joys. And each woman's unique story becomes an opportunity to learn, to nurture and to overcome life's obstacles... together.
Published May 1st 2002 by Mira Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Thursdays at Eight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thursdays at Eight

Kate
This is Debbie Macomber at her finest. Meet Julia, Karen, Liz and Claire - four very different women facing very different problems. They meet at a writing class but continue meeting up every Thursday morning at eight. Julia is a happy mother-of-two who has just opened her own knitting shop. What could go wrong? An unexpected, and unwanted pregnancy. Karen is in her twenties and has been pursuing an acting career for as long as she can remember. But her mother does not approve. In Karen's opinio...more
Weinz
As readers we are all burdened with bad book recommendations. The moment someone discovers you are a book-lover they instantly assume you enjoy the same books they do.

I know you ALL have experienced this. Friends, family, neighbors will recommend a book to you and then hound you until you have read it. "Did you read that book yet?" "did you, did you, did you??" Now, most of the time, as human beings we try to spare the feelings of the recommender by not screaming "No! I would never waste valuea...more
Sandybear76
I haven't read many books by Debbie Macomber but I thought the book was a good summer read and quick for me. I borrowed it from a friend while I was stayationing at my sister's.

The book ends on New Year's Day as 4 women individually chose a word that will motivate them thru the upcoming year. The book is written in sections as each woman tells about her day or so. The 4 women became friends during a journal writing class and they decided to meet at a coffee shop on Thursdays at eight to keep up...more
Drebbles
Clare Craig, Elizabeth Kenyon, Karen Curtis, and Julia Murchison become fast friends while taking a journal writing class and after the class ends they start meeting for breakfast each Thursday at 8:00. They are unlikely friends: Clare is still bitter and angry after her divorce; Liz is a successful hospital administrator who still mourns the loss of her husband but is beginning to realize life goes on; Karen, the youngest of the group, yearns to become an actress against the wishes of her famil...more
W.B. Abdullah
A very good read--and very pleased to see knitting characters :). I felt the story was heartwarming and moving at times, especially with Clare and Michael's storyline. I'm starting to really like Debbie Macomber and how she tells the characters' stories, and lets us get to know them. A nice escape for me, and I think if I'm ever at a loss for a book out of town, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Debbie Macomber title! Very classy lady.

Favorite quotes from this book:

"He grinned. 'Ah, yes, this bre...more
Marianne
Thursdays at Eight is the 65th stand-alone novel by popular American author, Debbie Macomber. In this novel, Macomber takes what are essentially four short stories and entwines them by having the main characters meet on Thursdays at Eight for breakfast, chat, love and support. The women are quite different, not just their ages, but also their attitude to life. Clare’s husband left her for a younger woman: her sons are angry and she is stunned by how much anger and bitterness she still feels towa...more
Sorcha
May 22, 2013 Sorcha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009

It is an unashamedly chick-lit book at its best, offering four cleverly interwoven stories unfolding over breakfast every Thursday at eight.

You are offered the stories of four very different women: Clare has just...more
Judie Dooley
Thursdays at Eight was another great Debbie Macomber book. I wasn't sure I liked the way the story was portrayed at first. Each chapter was written about a different one of the 4 characters and I was getting a little lost, but as the book progressed and I began to know each one of the breakfast club women , it was much more enjoyable. The women go through many different emotions--good-bad and indiffferent, offering hope and support to each other. as always everything turns out good in the end.
Dee
I really admire Debbie Macomber and the way she talks to women in today's world. I've only read a couple of her books, several other writings though. This book kept you reading to see how each of the four women would resolve their problems. It also introduces 'journal writing' which I've read that Debbie does herself. This is an interesting way of doing introspection. Some of her characters start writing about one subject and drift off in another. How true!!!! Even without journaling, my thought...more
Lisa
Another one of Debbie Macomber's stories of a group of women who show love, friendship, and complete support for each other during their "ups and downs"of life. It makes me grateful for the wonderful friendships in my life!
Lain
This a perfect vacation read - a sweet story about four very different challenges for four very different women. It's classic Macomber, with plenty of tear-jerker moments, but not too maudlin. I really enjoyed this!
Jacqui
It starts out slow but gets better. Like most of her books, it isn't going to make you think too hard. But the stories intertwine nicely and there's enough drama to keep it moving. A good book for the beach.
Rachel  Seaton-Green
This book taught me so much! :] I loved it! Especially the characters!

"May the hinges on your friendship never be rusty!" -Unknown.
Andrea Guy
Thursday, 8:00 a.m.
Mocha moments, breakfast club!

Every week, these words appear in the calendars of four women. Every week, they meet for breakfast — and to talk, to share the truths they’ve discovered about their lives. To tell their stories. To offer each other encouragement and unfailing support.

Clare has just been through a devastating and unexpected divorce. She’s driven by anger and revenge — until she learns something about her ex-husband that forces her to question her own actions. Force...more
Lindsay
Wendy
In Southern California, four women, who met at a journal-writing class, now meet each Thursday for breakfast - four very different women with one thing in common: they are friends.

Clare Craig's husband left her and their two sons about a year ago for a 20-year old. Clare is just trying to live well and put the anger and hatred behind her. Learning a secret about her husband changes everything.

Liz Kenyon, a 57-year old hospital administrator, is alone on New Year's Eve for the first time. Her hus...more
AJArndt
Well I've finished Thursdays at Eight by Debbie Macomber. It was pretty good. It read like a Hallmark movie (I LOVE Hallmark movies). It's a lovely story of women and friendship. I especially like the lack of gratuitous filth. Don't get me wrong, there were tender moments and love. But...you get the point.

Here's the synopsis in case you're interested:

~~~~

Thursday, 8:00 a.m. Breakfast Club!
Every week, these words appear in the calendars of four women. Every week, they meet for breakfast--and to...more
Ann
For me, the indication that I love a book is being torn between wanting to read as slow as possible so the book wouldn`t end and wanting to read as fast as possible because the book is so good. For me, Thursdays at Eight was just that.

It occurred to me, that I had read a similar book less than a month ago, Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. But this time, I really enjoyed being pulled into the characters lives.

Four different women being at different stages on their lives forming such a...more
Diana E. Young
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times and USA Today best-selling author and it comes as no surprise that she has more than 100 million copies of her books in print.
Her forte is writing about and for women in a way that you can relate to. Thursdays at Eight is about four women who met at a class and are continuing their newfound friendship by meeting for breakfast every Thursday morning.

These four women are all different from one another, in age, occupation and marital status, and yet they share...more
Lori
I have mixed feelings. I read "Thursdays at Eight" 15+ years ago and it had a huge impact on me. The idea of picking a word for the year (instead of resolutions that get broken a week later) really stuck with me.

This time when I read the book, the one word didn't seem to carry the same weight. The story is still good. Four women who meet each week to share their ups and downs.

After more than 15 years of reading Debbie Macomber, some of the stories are starting to sound similar. Both "The Shop on...more
Karschtl
Die Idee einer Frühstücksrunde mit meinen besten Freundinnen fand ich ausgesprochen nett, lässt sich in der Realität aufgrund von Familie, Jobs und nicht zuletzt unterschiedlichen Wohnorten nicht umsetzen. Trotzdem war es ganz nett, stattdessen bei den Treffen von Clare, Karen, Liz und Julia dabei zu sein. Wobei die Treffen an sich eher wenig Platz einnehmen, dazwischen kommen die Protagonistinnen auch einzeln zu Wort und wir verfolgen ein knappes Jahr im Leben der 4 Frauen.

Alles in allem wie ge...more
Saralyn
This was an interesting read for me. I was a little hesitant at first to read, but I found myself drawn in by the characters. All of them were dealing with difficult, but fairly common, problems, which, to me, makes a book more interesting. Even the characters I at first had a hard time identifying with, by the end of the book, I could understand them and sympathize with their difficulties.
I loved the focus on family in this book. Each woman in the book finds how important her family is to her...more
Carrie
Aug 08, 2008 Carrie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carrie by: pretty much any woman
I started reading this book Friday night ( I read at night whan i get in bed) and i couldn't put it down. I really like this style of writing and these characters. I love it when there are different people at different life-points and ages together in a book. I didn't get to sleep til pretty late because of reading this book. I ended up finishing it last night in bed after just 3 nights. I was actually envious of Julia, the woman who got pregnant! I cannot believe I feel like I would like to be...more
Lisa
This was the 1st book I ever read by this author and it was AWESOME! :o)

I was involved in an online group at the time that I read this book and it inspired me to create an online book club for this group. I was sorry to see this group and book club come to an end because I met one of my best friends in person and have spent so many wonderful times with her and her family ever since. It also has introduced me to authors I probably never would have read otherwise ... JK Rowling (Harry Potter seri...more
Maurean
This is the story of four women who meet every Thursday at 8am for breakfast, just to talk and share their lives:

Claire has just gone through an angry divorce, and just as she is getting her anger under control, she finds out that her ex-husband is dying of cancer.
Elizabeth is a successful widower who finds herself falling for a handsome, but seemingly self-absorbed, doctor where she works.
Karen, a twenty-something wanna-be actress finds out that her 'perfect sister's life' isn't so perfect, af...more
Christy
I know I appear to rate a lot of my books with four stars but they really are. This is a cute book great read for summer as you can be interrupted in your reading and easily come back to it. But you also cannot put it down and don't know the reason for it as its just a fun story..
Diane
This was good and I really wanted to give it only 3 1/2 stars if that were possible. It was so much like real life that all of the anger and bitterness was hard to read about for so long. Thankfully, everything changed for the better by the end of the book.
Sandy
Book: I have read her books before and thought they had been ok. I started this book, one that was given to me, and was shocked that not at any time did she describe the physical characteristics of her characters. I know one of the four main characters had short brown hair and one was younger than the others, that was all. That was very odd and it took me until maybe 3/4 of the way through the book to get past it. I still don't really know where the story took place, what city. I like a lot of d...more
Kristina
I just finished this audiobook this morning and really enjoyed the story a great deal. It follows four different women and how they became friends though a journaling class. After the class ended they decided to continue meeting for breakfast every Thursday at Eight. It was really neat to learn about each of the women's different stories and stages of life they were going through and how they all came together to support each other through daily life and the challenges they each faced. What an i...more
Ada Iaboni
Worth reading. Sweet and encouraging. It reminded me that Journaling is something I used to do and have let drop for too long. It also allows us to recall the meaning of friendship and support from those around you in our good and bad times.
series book? 6 29 Apr 29, 2013 11:40PM
  • The Woman Next Door
  • No Place Like Home (Cisco, #1)
  • Tea and Destiny: Tea and Destiny\Light the Stars
  • The Edge of Winter
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • Deep in the Valley (Grace Valley Trilogy, #1)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #...more
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)