Start by marking “Thursdays at Eight” as Want to Read:
Thursdays at Eight

Thursdays at Eight

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,533 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
Claire, Elizabeth, Karen, and Julia meet every Thursday for breakfast to share the events that are happening in their lives, from a painful divorce to an unexpected pregnancy, and to offer each other undying support, love, and encouragement.
Published May 1st 2002 by Mira Books (first published 2001)

Glenda L
May 01, 2016 Glenda L rated it really liked it
I read this some time ago ... it was very good ... a little different than most of Debbie Macomber's books. I think this is one of my favorite Macober books.
Kate
May 05, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
This is Debbie Macomber at her finest. Meet Julia, Karen, Liz and Claire - four very different women facing very different problems. They meet at a writing class but continue meeting up every Thursday morning at eight. Julia is a happy mother-of-two who has just opened her own knitting shop. What could go wrong? An unexpected, and unwanted pregnancy. Karen is in her twenties and has been pursuing an acting career for as long as she can remember. But her mother does not approve. In Karen's opinio ...more
W.B. Abdullah
May 20, 2011 W.B. Abdullah rated it really liked it
A very good read--and very pleased to see knitting characters :). I felt the story was heartwarming and moving at times, especially with Clare and Michael's storyline. I'm starting to really like Debbie Macomber and how she tells the characters' stories, and lets us get to know them. A nice escape for me, and I think if I'm ever at a loss for a book out of town, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Debbie Macomber title! Very classy lady.

Favorite quotes from this book:

"He grinned. 'Ah, yes, this bre
Weinz
Sep 28, 2007 Weinz rated it did not like it
As readers we are all burdened with bad book recommendations. The moment someone discovers you are a book-lover they instantly assume you enjoy the same books they do.

I know you ALL have experienced this. Friends, family, neighbors will recommend a book to you and then hound you until you have read it. "Did you read that book yet?" "did you, did you, did you??" Now, most of the time, as human beings we try to spare the feelings of the recommender by not screaming "No! I would never waste valuea
Sandybear76
Aug 07, 2011 Sandybear76 rated it liked it
I haven't read many books by Debbie Macomber but I thought the book was a good summer read and quick for me. I borrowed it from a friend while I was stayationing at my sister's.

The book ends on New Year's Day as 4 women individually chose a word that will motivate them thru the upcoming year. The book is written in sections as each woman tells about her day or so. The 4 women became friends during a journal writing class and they decided to meet at a coffee shop on Thursdays at eight to keep up
Melissa Aguirre
Dec 28, 2015 Melissa Aguirre rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this "feel good" book!! The friendship that the four women developed was lovely and refreshing. I also enjoyed the fact that the author gave me insight to the lives of the secondary characters. In addition, I appreciated how the author transitioned from scene to scene. I plan to read more books by this author.
Drebbles
Sep 01, 2010 Drebbles rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Clare Craig, Elizabeth Kenyon, Karen Curtis, and Julia Murchison become fast friends while taking a journal writing class and after the class ends they start meeting for breakfast each Thursday at 8:00. They are unlikely friends: Clare is still bitter and angry after her divorce; Liz is a successful hospital administrator who still mourns the loss of her husband but is beginning to realize life goes on; Karen, the youngest of the group, yearns to become an actress against the wishes of her famil ...more
Marianne
Dec 29, 2013 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Thursdays at Eight is the 65th stand-alone novel by popular American author, Debbie Macomber. In this novel, Macomber takes what are essentially four short stories and entwines them by having the main characters meet on Thursdays at Eight for breakfast, chat, love and support. The women are quite different, not just their ages, but also their attitude to life. Clare’s husband left her for a younger woman: her sons are angry and she is stunned by how much anger and bitterness she still feels towa ...more
Faith
Nov 10, 2015 Faith rated it liked it
Well, I feel as if I've eaten an entire chocolate covered cheesecake at one sitting. Talk about overdosing on chick lit. Yet, it is good at what it sets out to be...a schmaltzy, superficial overload of female bonding. I've never read anything else by this author, but I'm familiar with her as a purveyor of novels in this genre. So, yes, it was an overindulgence, but tasty and somehow satisfying. Will I ever read her again? Yup. Just like I'll probably eat too much dessert again. Sometimes it's ju ...more
Sorcha
May 22, 2013 Sorcha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
For four women who meet for breakfast every Thursday at eight, their differences only serve to draw them closer together as they share in each other's sorrows and joys. And each woman's unique story becomes an opportunity to learn, to nurture and to overcome life's obstacles... together.

It is an unashamedly chick-lit book at its best, offering four cleverly interwoven stories unfolding over breakfast every Thursday at eight.

You are offered the stories of four very different women: Clare has just
Judie Dooley
Apr 23, 2014 Judie Dooley rated it really liked it
Thursdays at Eight was another great Debbie Macomber book. I wasn't sure I liked the way the story was portrayed at first. Each chapter was written about a different one of the 4 characters and I was getting a little lost, but as the book progressed and I began to know each one of the breakfast club women , it was much more enjoyable. The women go through many different emotions--good-bad and indiffferent, offering hope and support to each other. as always everything turns out good in the end.
Kelly Bragg
Nov 29, 2015 Kelly Bragg rated it really liked it
This book was TERRIFIC! It is my favorite by this author (of the five I have read). It's a lovely story of a friendship between four women, and how they support each other through their trials & tribulations. WONDERFUL!
Lynne Cunningham
May 27, 2016 Lynne Cunningham rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Debbie Macomber books. This was no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know these four women and their families.
Jule
Nov 16, 2014 Jule rated it liked it
I normally do not trust the writing of authors who publish more than three books a year. Honestly, at this rate, the quality must have suffered and the plots are predictable. So I would have never read “Thursdays at Eight” by Debbie Macomber after having learned that she (with 31 years of writing experience!) has published over 150 novels.

But “Thursdays at Eight” was recommended by the Novel Cure and I test-read it for my mother, so I did read it. And it was surprisingly good.

The novel is about
Roxie Romero
May 18, 2016 Roxie Romero rated it it was amazing
This was the first Debbie Macomber book I read back in 1999. I believe I was 13 years old. I saw it on my Grandmothers bookshelf. I asked her if I could borrow it and she said yes. I took it home and read it in 2 days. I loved it. Ever since then I slowing started collecting and reading every Debbie book I could get my hands on. I have read everyone of her books to date. There is nothing like a Debbie book. It reminds me of me and my Grandmothers bond.
Heidi
May 12, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book. Some of it was similar to other books, but then again I have read close to 100 Macomber books. I liked the insight into the lives of 4 very different women. They all have a large range in age, but were brought together by a journal class. I would recommend this book to any friend who likes cozy books.
Zwart Raafje
Apr 06, 2015 Zwart Raafje rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘De ontbijtclub’ draait rond vier sterke vrouwen die ondanks grote verschillen in leeftijd en situatie, een heel hechte vriendschapsband hebben. Nieuwjaarsdag lijkt voor hen symbool te staan voor een verse start. Elk maken ze nieuwe plannen en voornemens. In onderlinge overeenkomst besluiten ze ook om ieder één woord te kiezen om uit te drukken waar dit nieuwe jaar voor hen om zal draaien.

Voor Clare die door haar overspelige echtgenoot in de steek werd gelaten is dit trouw. Elizabeth (Liz) die a
A'ndrea (Auni)
Dec 11, 2012 A'ndrea (Auni) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's see, I liked this book enough to give 4 stars. I loved the characters as I usually do in a Macomber book. It was a good quick read. I did find that it was a tad bit predictable. But that aside I just love Macomber books, and want to read more of her stuff. She writes so well and it flows nicely.
Dee
Feb 07, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, women, lifestyle
I really admire Debbie Macomber and the way she talks to women in today's world. I've only read a couple of her books, several other writings though. This book kept you reading to see how each of the four women would resolve their problems. It also introduces 'journal writing' which I've read that Debbie does herself. This is an interesting way of doing introspection. Some of her characters start writing about one subject and drift off in another. How true!!!! Even without journaling, my thought ...more
Lisa
Oct 13, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Another one of Debbie Macomber's stories of a group of women who show love, friendship, and complete support for each other during their "ups and downs"of life. It makes me grateful for the wonderful friendships in my life!
Lain
Aug 26, 2010 Lain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a perfect vacation read - a sweet story about four very different challenges for four very different women. It's classic Macomber, with plenty of tear-jerker moments, but not too maudlin. I really enjoyed this!
Jacqui
May 23, 2012 Jacqui rated it liked it
It starts out slow but gets better. Like most of her books, it isn't going to make you think too hard. But the stories intertwine nicely and there's enough drama to keep it moving. A good book for the beach.
Rachel  Seaton-Green
Sep 05, 2009 Rachel Seaton-Green rated it really liked it
This book taught me so much! :] I loved it! Especially the characters!

"May the hinges on your friendship never be rusty!" -Unknown.
Kemi
Sep 27, 2014 Kemi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Good book. A little cheesy, but overall, a feel-good story about four friends who meet in a journal-writing class (such a thing really exists?) and continue their friendship over weekly breakfasts.

I didn't think any of the characters were likable in the beginning-- Clare was bitter, Liz was cold, Julia was selfish, and Karen was whiny-- but they grew on me as their stories progressed. Each of them found closure, but not all of the characters had a happy ending, which was surprisingly deep for a
Amanda
Mar 29, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book definitely gets a five when it makes me cry! :)
Jeanine Lent
This was an enjoyable book. It was the story of 4 women who met in a journal writing class. They became friends & decided to continue to meet, once a week, at a cafe called Mocha Moments. They continued their journal writing, & they became very close friends. They decide to each choose a word for the year, ones that they would focus on, as it pertains to their lives. Each woman has a hurdle to deal with, but they no longer have to cope on their own. They have each other to rely on. It is ...more
Andrea Guy
Nov 18, 2011 Andrea Guy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
Thursday, 8:00 a.m.
Mocha moments, breakfast club!

Every week, these words appear in the calendars of four women. Every week, they meet for breakfast — and to talk, to share the truths they’ve discovered about their lives. To tell their stories. To offer each other encouragement and unfailing support.

Clare has just been through a devastating and unexpected divorce. She’s driven by anger and revenge — until she learns something about her ex-husband that forces her to question her own actions. Force
Lindsay
Jul 11, 2010 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wendy
Jul 25, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
In Southern California, four women, who met at a journal-writing class, now meet each Thursday for breakfast - four very different women with one thing in common: they are friends.

Clare Craig's husband left her and their two sons about a year ago for a 20-year old. Clare is just trying to live well and put the anger and hatred behind her. Learning a secret about her husband changes everything.

Liz Kenyon, a 57-year old hospital administrator, is alone on New Year's Eve for the first time. Her hus
AJArndt
Oct 25, 2013 AJArndt rated it really liked it
Well I've finished Thursdays at Eight by Debbie Macomber. It was pretty good. It read like a Hallmark movie (I LOVE Hallmark movies). It's a lovely story of women and friendship. I especially like the lack of gratuitous filth. Don't get me wrong, there were tender moments and love. But...you get the point.

Here's the synopsis in case you're interested:

~~~~

Thursday, 8:00 a.m. Breakfast Club!
Every week, these words appear in the calendars of four women. Every week, they meet for breakfast--and to
May 2016 Group Read Book - Thursdays at Eight 1 1 Apr 30, 2016 11:45AM
series book? 6 30 Apr 29, 2013 11:40PM
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • The Woman Next Door
  • Trail of Secrets
  • Touching Stars
  • Welcome to Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4)
  • The Doctor Takes a Princess (Harlequin Special Edition)
  • Stories for Christmas: Free heart-warming festive tasters from three bestselling authors
  • Snowfall at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #4)
  • Woodrose Mountain (Hope's Crossing,#2)
  • Hey, Good Looking
  • Somewhere Along The Way (Harmony #2)
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Amanda Pepper, #5)
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 950 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

“If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can’t, you’re right.” 3 likes
“I want to practice gratitude. I know that sounds hokey, but instead of concentrating on the negative, I want to look at the positive side of life.” 2 likes