Start by marking “Dakota Home (Dakota, #2)” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  4,199 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
Published August 1st 2000 by Mira Books

Dawn ♥ romance
Mar 15, 2017 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it
This story had lots of action, almost too much. I enjoy a secondary romance but five of them was too many. It felt like reading multiple books switching after each chapter, frustrating. The main hero's history was tragic but his behavior four years later was overblown. Each relationship had an irritating character. Maggie starts up a grocery delivery service and one of her first customers is rancher Jeb.
Eleanore June
DNF at 62%
I just don't like this town filled with angst and assholes who are too stubborn to talk to each other. I don't really care about any of them and frankly there are just too many of them.
Jeb is just an ass, a stubborn, set in his ways ass. And I just don't care/like him enough to care if he redeems himself and gets a HEA.

Also Calla is the worst and I pray that my own daughter never treats me like that. Going to call my mom and apologize now.
Marleen
Jan 08, 2017 Marleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel deflated (and I apologize in advance to the fans. I have to admit, I keep forgetting that Debbie Macomber books are not my cup of tea. Still, I have a few of them in my library, and now and then I flock to them and give them another try, with the same result; I don’t feel connected to the story, nor to the characters – and believe me – there are many characters.
I am sure that there’s an audience and/or fan base for these series, but for me there’s really not enough substance, or enough ba
Heather
Mary
Aug 21, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Jan Mcleod
Dec 28, 2012 Jan Mcleod rated it really liked it
In the first novel of the Dakota series, numerous townspeople were introduced and explored, but the story mainly focused on Gage and Lindsay. In this, the second novel of the series, the sagas of Buffalo Bob, Merrily, Jeb, Maddy, Sarah, and Dennis are continued and become more complicated. And let's not forget Calla, nasty and belligerent as ever, but life isn't so rosy with her "wonderful" dad.
Heidi
Dec 02, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing
I loved thee second book of the Dakota series. I am so glad that almost everyone worked out their issues. I am also glad that Dennis and Sarah are married and that her quilting store is really taking off.
I wish I could get my hands on Calla and smack some sense into the girl. She is so full of hate and resentment. Living with her father isn't helping her any. I just hope she doesn't make the same mistake as her mom though. I am also to learn more about Merrily's "son" Axel.
Julianne
May 26, 2008 Julianne rated it really liked it
Book #2 of the Dakota Trilogy. Loved it! We met Lindsay in Book #1. Now her best friend has come to the little town of Buffalo Valley, and adventures find her.....

It's Debbie Macomber! Gotta love it!
Barbi
Apr 23, 2013 Barbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another heartwarming book! I think I enjoyed this book more simply because I am so familiar with some of the places mentioned in the book. I really enjoyed all of the characters and how well they are described and how easily you get involved in their lives.
Apr 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Now that Lindsay is settled, her best friend Maddy comes to town to rescue the local grocery store. During a winter storm, Maddy meets a man who will forever change the way she feels about Buffalo Valley.

This may have been my favorite of the series.
Kellie
Jul 02, 2008 Kellie rated it really liked it
It was a good QUICK read... romance.
Shirley B.
May 09, 2017 Shirley B. rated it really liked it
An interesting book set in a small town. I recently had someone tell me I shouldn't base my book in Huntsville, Al, because there's nothing interesting about my town. Well, this town is smaller than Huntsville, out in the middle of no where. The author of Dakota Home made it clear, what makes a book interesting are the characters and the interaction between them. All it takes is a few good women and men to set the world right.
Jeanne
May 03, 2017 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Buffalo Valley is finding new life. Lindsay Snyder is the new teacher and she married Gage Sinclair. Lindsay's best friend Maddy Washburn has purchased the local grocery store and is putting into a place where the people want to shop. Maddy has met Jeb McKenna a solitary rancher. She is drawn to Jeb but he rebuffs her advances until a North Dakota blizzard throws them together. A very nice read.
Roxx
Jun 22, 2017 Roxx rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's focusing a little on everybody's budding romance. It was cute. I'm looking forward to Margaret's story.
Tammy Smith
May 09, 2017 Tammy Smith rated it really liked it
Fun read. Great charaters.
Tracy
May 22, 2017 Tracy rated it did not like it
Too many characters and stories. And angst! But Debbie Macomber books are never my kind of story.
Beth
Nov 29, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread. Love this book. Jeb and Maddy's story.
Amy
Nov 17, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the audiobook.
Charlene
Mar 12, 2017 Charlene rated it really liked it
This second Dakota series continues the successful formula presented in Dakota Born. In this story, Maddy (Lindsay's best friend), moves to the small town and finds everyone (except one) welcoming her with open arms. And this one character, Jeb McKenna, is a stubborn bison rancher determined to live a secluded life. However, Maddy and Jeb's sister disagree.

Along with the primary story revolving around Maddy and Jeb, the remaining characters bring about a delightful secondary story about patienc
Jimmy Niggles
First book seemed like the women had good heads on there shoulders this second book I couldn't make it seem men had good heads, couldn't even grasp the men the commiserate heed to stardom the women wouldn't allocate any need for men to have good heads on there shoulders. Seems like the 3 of a kind hotel is a metaphor for the need to say some times life is a gamble and there's no news like no poker face on the git of not being informed about politics or how other jobs or life styles or ethics are ...more
Shental Henrie
Sep 12, 2016 Shental Henrie rated it really liked it
This second installment in the DAKOTA TRILOGY is another great read from DM.
She is a master storyteller in being able to take the happenings of small town life and make them interesting and entertaining.
This one, DAKOTA HOME, brings us Lindsay's best friend from book 1.
Maddy Washburn can't be a social worker anymore. She is tired of what it takes out of her. So she packs up and moves to the one place where her friend found love. She buys the local pharmacy and settles into small town life with a
Maureen Wilson
Feb 24, 2017 Maureen Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
simply lovely
Alyssa
This is such a wonderful book! This is the second book in the Dakota trilogy and it is even better than the first. I love this small town so much and really wish I could live there with these incredible people. They all have such large hearts and are truly there for people in a way that isn’t common these days. This series encompasses what it is to be a true neighbor and friend. These people care about each other in a way that should be more common in the world.

This second book brings Lindsay’s
M Strawberry Reviews
After reading the first book in this series, I was happy to also have #2 on hand, so I could quickly start with this book. Like #1, I enjoyed the parts other than the romance between the main characters. I liked reading about the other people in town, their problems, and the like, since I felt the relationship between Maddy and Jeb to be a bit contrived. I really hated the character of Jeb's sister (at first) because she was just so annoying with trying to fix up her brother. Some people just ne ...more
Angie
Feb 22, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
Synopsis: "Maggie Washburn has decided to pull up stakes and join her best friend, Lindsay Snyder, in Buffalo Valley, North Dakota, to look for the same kind of contentment, the same kind of love that Lindsay has found in the small prairie town."

My Review: It really took me a while to get all the characters straight again. The storyline picked right up where the previous book left of with no ease in. There are a lot of characters and story lines to keep straight, you really almost need a note pa
T. Rosado

4-4.5 Stars!

I'm really enjoying this series. I especially enjoyed Jeb and Maddie's story within this book. I'm always pulled to a broken hero and that is what Jeb was in this second book of the Dakota series. Having lost his leg in a farming accident 4 years prior, he didn't think he had anything to offer and became somewhat of a recluse, tending his buffalo and rarely going into town. Maddie was new in town and immediately drawn to Jeb. I loved how his disability was portrayed and how Maddie he
Nicole
Jan 06, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it
A great second book. I enjoyed finding out what happened with some of the characters we met in the first book. I had a few issues with a few of the Characters. I wasn't fond of Joanie and Brandon. Things worked out fine, but he just bothers me. The other character I couldn't stand was Calla. What a brat! I just wish her mom had been honest with her about her dad from the beginning. Lies only cause issues. She put her dad on a pedestal when he didn't deserve it. He is a lying jerk. Even when it w ...more
Linda C
Sep 26, 2012 Linda C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maddy Washburn, suffering burnout from her job as a social worker, moves to Buffalo Valley where her best friend has moved and recently married. She buys the local grocery and is determined to make a success of her new life. She is drawn to taciturn Jeb McKenna. His injury in a farm accident has left him with an artificial leg and a life as a near recluse. When Maddy is caught in an early snowstorm and forced to spend several days with Jeb, they both end up with more than they bargained for. As ...more
Holly Doyal
Jan 29, 2017 Holly Doyal rated it really liked it
In this second book in the Dakota series, we follow Lindsay's hometown friend, Maddy. She decided to leave her hometown and follow Lindsay to Buffalo Valley. She purchased the grocery store and falls in love with Jeb, a farmer that lost his leg in a horrific farming accident. Maddy gets pregnant while staying at Jeb's house during a snowstorm, but Jeb is so stubborn, he keeps trying to push Maddy away. He doesn't think any woman will want him since he only has one leg. They finally get together ...more
Christine
Jan 03, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
The second book in Macomber's Dakota series centers on Maddie Washburn, Lindsay's best friend from childhood. Leaving a stressful job in Savannah, GA as a social worker, Maddie purchases the local grocery in Buffalo Valley and is ready for a fresh start. She is quickly intrigued by Jeb McKenna, a local recluse who lost his leg in a farming accident years earlier. After a blizzard strands Maddie and Jeb for a few days, their relationship takes on a new level.

Like Macomber's previous books, 'Dako
Too many characters? 1 1 Jul 30, 2016 09:10PM
Debbie Macomber Novel Group - October 2015 Group Read - Dakota Home - Dakota #2 1 2 Oct 08, 2015 07:30PM
  • Home at Rose Cottage: Three Down the Aisle\What's Cooking? (Rose Cottage Sisters #1-2)
  • Garrett (McKettricks, #12)
  • The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)
  • Kentucky Sunrise (Kentucky, #3)
  • Still as Death
  • More Than Friends
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #3.5 & Those Manning Men, #5)
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Dakota (4 books)
  • Dakota Born (Dakota, #1)
  • Always Dakota (Dakota, #3)
  • Buffalo Valley (Dakota, #4)