Start by marking “A Few Good Women: America's Military Women from World War I to the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan” as Want to Read:

The never-before-told story of the U.S. women’s military corps: the women who fought for the right to defend their country by serving in our armed forces with full military rank and benefits—a fight that continues today for American military women who want to serve in combat support positions and in frontline combat units.

Using interviews, correspondence, and diaries, as w
Published April 6th 2010 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Few Good Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Few Good Women

San
Jul 07, 2010 San rated it it was amazing
For WW II enthusiasts, this book gives us a good idea of the rest of the story. The authors are to be commended for their extensive research and the many first person interviews. You will learn things you have never heard before no matter how much you have read about WW II.
Shaynipper
As a former USAR member, I did find some of the information interesting. I share many of the authors sentiments about the military as it is today.
Allison
Mar 05, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book as a great tool for knowledge of women in the US armed forces. It was easy and interesting to read. There are a couple criticisms I have, however: the later wars are kinda skimped on, there is too little discussion of women in the later wars, and someone obviously lost interest and stopped proofing by the last part of the text. Though I largely agree with what the authors have to say at the end, I feel it was preachy and sloppy. I want to know more about how women are ...more
Ann-Marie
Nov 21, 2013 Ann-Marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book because during the Vietnam war several of my nursing school friends joined the army and because I had the opportunity to work at several VA Hospitals. I also have an interest in how women move forward in professions that normally are male dominated.

I was disappointed in this book because, although it is factually accurate, it is such dull reading that it ought to be listed as a reference book rather than a book one would want to read from cover to cover. The stories
Jessica
Apr 02, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it
The problems begin with the lack of a table of contents, symbolic of the overall lack of structure and organization (although the authors are not professional historians, the editor should have addressed this larger coherence issue). The reader is left to meander through the book on their own. While it has potential (mainly the interviews) and the story of military women is one that needs to be told, this book is exceedingly frustrating to use and lacks historical chronology and context.
Tiffany
Apr 22, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
The amount of history is amazing. To think of what women did only 60+ years ago and the crap we're still having to deal with in 2012, I am so very great full for those first women broke down the barriers so we could have success today!
On the flip side the book isn't organized too well and the chapters should have had the dates or at least have been separated by war period time frames.
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Veronica Mullet
Veronica Mullet rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
William Adler
William Adler rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2012
Meredith
I wanted this to be good. Such a shame that it's not. A disorganized mess.
Alyx
Alyx rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Marcie
Marcie rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was ok
May 03, 2013
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Susan Simmers
Susan Simmers rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Chris Lyons McKinley
Chris Lyons McKinley rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2010
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2011
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2011
Jackieinthebox
Jackieinthebox rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Reilly Kissinger
Reilly Kissinger rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2010
Terra Ingersoll
Would be better without all the political comments at the end
Sarah Pease
Sarah Pease rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2011