Mysteries and Legends of Oregon: True Stories of the Unsolved and Unexplained

Mysteries and Legends of Oregon: True Stories of the Unsolved and Unexplained

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From the mysterious disappearance of hijacker D.B. Cooper to persistent rumors of bigfoot, this selection of fourteen stories from Oregon's past explores some of the Beaver State's most compelling mysteries and debunks some of its most famous myths.
Published November 10th 2009 by Globe Pequot (first published 2009)

John Orman
Leading off, D.B. Cooper somehow beats out Bigfoot!
After Mr. Sasquatch, we have the Bridge of the Gods, and Wallowa Lake Monster.
Maybe I will spend some time looking for the Port Orford Meteorite,
a thirty ton rock reputed to be worth millions--but it could be just a legend!

Portland gets some bad publicity as a former "Shanghai City,"
where sailors were gotten drunk and hauled off to ships that set sail
before the sailors sobered up.
The book does debunk the notion of Shanghai Tunnels running beneat...more
Carye Bye
Fun book for curious adults or young teens (seriously get this book for any 13+ year old!) Great layout of chapters and fun stories about Oregon's lore. Especially liked the chapter on the 'Bridge of the Gods', and the unsolved mystery of D.B. Cooper who hijacked a plane with 'the money' in the early 70s, and was never seen again.. though bundles of cash showed up in the Columbia Gorge. The author has a great grasp of science & history and clear interesting writing. I love a well thought out...more
David Bales
An interesting but rather sketchily researched, (some of the information is a bit dubious) about various myths, mysteries and legends in the state of Oregon. Mostly compiled from newspaper articles and tall tales.
Jeana
This was well researched and interesting. The author did jump around a bit, making it hard for someone like me to follow at times. I'm all about chronological order. Beyond that, it's fascinating and fun. I would recommend it to anyone interested in Oregon history.
Erin
I thought this book was well written and researched. My favorite legends were the Bridge of the Gods and the Oregon Vortex.
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Brian Schaffeld
Brian Schaffeld is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2013
Lynnette
Lynnette marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2012
Shannon Page
Shannon Page is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2012
Bonnie Morse
Bonnie Morse marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Staci
Staci marked it as to-read
May 20, 2012
oxana
oxana added it
Oct 19, 2011
Outlaw Tales of Oregon Oregon Wildlife Viewing Guide Outlaw Tales of Oregon, 2nd: True Stories of the Beaver State's Most Infamous Crooks, Culprits, and Cutthroats Quick Casts: Portland, Oregon: The Top Fishing Spots within an Hour's Drive of the City The Insiders' Guide to Bend and Central Oregon