Start by marking “Tumor” as Want to Read:
Tumor

Tumor

Introduction by Duane Swierczynski From the Harvey Award-nominated creative team of Elk's Run comes Tumor, the critically acclaimed sensation that was the first graphic novel to debut exclusively on the Kindle E-Book Reader! Tumor is the story of Frank Armstrong, a man at the boot heel of the world, barely scraping up a living as a private investigator in modern day Los An ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Archaia (first published July 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tumor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumor

David Schaafsma
Feb 12, 2017 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-crime, gn-health
When I first picked this up at the library I thought it was going to be some kind of dark mashup about a guy's cancer and how it feels like some drake murder mystery. I read a lot of graphic memoirs and novels about health issues, and more than a few about cancer. And then, to see that the art is so quick-sketched as to be almost baffling, even ugly. And I was unfamiliar with the author and illustrator. I set it aside for a few days, not sure it would be worth my time.

No, it wasn't quite what I
Josh Brunsting
This is the written word/graphic art version of a good glass of orange juice. Filling and completely full of pulp. This hits the spot for any fan of pulp novels, film noir, or interesting character studies. Overall, one of the best graphic novels of the year.
Jenai
Jan 19, 2015 Jenai rated it really liked it
Jenai Coleman
PAP/IB English II
Prd.7
1/22/15

In Tumor Frank, the main character, is a former detective who now has terminal brain cancer. He has been given a job to find the daughter of a drug dealing criminal he used to connive with. In addition to hunting for this girl, Evelyn, Frank tries to manage chronic headaches, blackouts, and random flashbacks making it exceptionally difficult for him to keep straight in his mind where he really is in his own history. Contrary to the wishes of his employe
Matthew
Jul 29, 2010 Matthew rated it liked it
A very strong noir-ish thriller done in graphic novel form, with lots of nods to Chandler as well as the great BBC series the Singing Detective. Frank Armstrong is an aging tough guy PI who gets caught up in a case involving a drug lord's runaway daughter who may or may not have stolen a large sum of money from her father. The big twist is that Amstrong has a brain tumor, causing him to have painful migraines, disorienting seizures and even frightening time slips into his own past. The narrative ...more
Annie
Apr 26, 2013 Annie rated it liked it
Despite some opinion, reading a graphic novel via the Kindle reader on a tablet is enjoyable (imho).
From Goodreads: From the Harvey Award-nominated creative team of Elk's Run comes Tumor, the critically acclaimed sensation that was the first graphic novel to debut exclusively on the Kindle E-Book Reader! Tumor is the story of Frank Armstrong, a man at the boot heel of the world, barely scraping up a living as a private investigator in modern day Los Angeles. He finally lands a big case, finding
Joseph
Feb 26, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it
I'm of two minds about the art. On the one hand, the scratchy, unfinished quality is the perfect match for this gritty detective story. On the other hand, I tend to have a lot of problems keeping characters straight, which is only exacerbated by the way the story jumps through time.

The art aside, however, this is a great story and character piece. Fialkov uses Frank's brain tumor as more than just a gimmick, but rather as a tool to peel away the layers of his guilt and cynicism, finally exposin
Guy Gonzalez
Oct 21, 2010 Guy Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Joshua Fialkov delivers a solid noir with a Christopher Nolan meets Quentin Tarantino vibe, and as with their excellent Elk's Run, Noel Tuazon nails the atmospheric tone with his sketchy, gritty visuals. Their lead, Frank Armstrong, is a sympathetic character put through the wringer, and the bittersweet ending satisfies. The book itself is another great package by Archaia, from the ragged edges of the thick, off-white paper stock, to the multiple extras, including a tight short story that fleshe ...more
Dan Billings
Aug 22, 2010 Dan Billings rated it it was amazing
This is how a crime story should evolve. Time has a bit of a meaning, but with fantastic art that clearly denoted the present and the past, the changes in periods was not confusing at all. In fact, it was seemless. I knew the ending of the story, as I suppose we all are supposed to when we start the story, but how the main character, a down on his luck and end of the road PI, gets there is phenomenal. This is the best crime graphic novel I have read in quite some time.
Petergiaquinta
Aug 26, 2010 Petergiaquinta rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Despite its quality production and an interesting introduction about the "time honored" tradition in crime fiction of the cosh to the brainpan (when I was a kid reading the Hardy Boys, Joe and Frank got knocked out at least once in every volume!), there isn't much to like about Tumor. Heavy bond paper can't make up for a weak story with dull characters.
Jim
Apr 30, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
hardboiled detective fiction just isn't my thing, were it so i would have loved this. the art is sketchy in a good way, reminds me of the Wordsmith comic reegade published 20 years ago. v. nice. the art damn near moves on its own.
the writing is great and the insightful about the cancer tumor. don't know that i'd like this in a h.s. library, but can reccomend to fans of marlowe and hammett
Rene
Dec 07, 2011 Rene rated it it was amazing
This was a great Graphic Novel filled with tons of extras. I was also fortunate enough to meet Mr. Fialkov and was able to express my gratitude at having Los Angeles portrayed as a place that can still really keep the Detective Story fresh, especially how he handles time in the book.
If you've got the cash for the hardcover, spend it, it is totally worth your pennies!
Darth__frodo
Jul 07, 2012 Darth__frodo rated it liked it
Well written and original, just not really my cup 'o tea. I met the writer; really nice guy. I respect his work, it's very clever. The drawings are nothing special but there's still something about them that I liked. It made the book feel older and more suited toward the main character. Overall it was good and I enjoyed it. I would recommend it to others.
Jake Forbes
Aug 23, 2010 Jake Forbes rated it really liked it
Tumor has a great premise and a dreamlike rhythm that really puts you in the mindset of a man loosing his grip on reality. Tuazon's art is very effective for the blurry, subjective reality of our man Frank. Fialkov's story is tight -- maybe a little too tight. I suppose with a lead character who is so unhinged, the familiar noir tropes are needed to keep things grounded.
sweet pea
Dec 13, 2010 sweet pea rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-content
considering how beautiful this book design is, i can't imagine reading it on a kindle. it's an interesting take on a crime story. of course, i don't like crime stories. the fluidity of time, the main character knowing he's going to die, the conjunction of present and past, these all made for interesting plot elements. an intriguing and beautifully-made work.
Les
Jan 11, 2011 Les rated it did not like it
Maybe I really am not a graphic novel person. Maybe this genre is not my cup of tea. Whatever, this did little for me. At least in Bluesman the art carried what elements did not work. Not so much here.

and so it goes . . .

YTD=7
Martin
Nov 24, 2012 Martin rated it liked it
Shelves: used-to-own, reviewed
This one had an "okay" story, but the art (perhaps purposefully) was sketchy and not to my liking, and that hampered my enjoyment of this book. My recommendation to you is to borrow it from a friend or the library.
Ben
Jan 02, 2010 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting device as the brain tumor causes the main character to become distracted and remember events out of place. The story is very much a noir, but with a freshness that elevates it above the usual boilerplate.
Bruce Adams
Oct 15, 2011 Bruce Adams rated it really liked it
A great example of how sequential art works well with the noir form. The chief character is suffering from a tumor, which prompts flashbacks and provides the artist with a great way to fill in the backstory.
Great example of art and writing working hand in hand.
Biena (The Library Mistress)
I clearly am not the person who would like stories like these because, I'm the romance, chick-lit, young adult type. But I seriously enjoyed this graphic novel. :)
Daniel Vlasaty
Jun 07, 2015 Daniel Vlasaty rated it it was amazing
Quick and gritty noir about an old P.I. who takes a high paying case on the same day he's diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor.

Sonic
Mar 07, 2012 Sonic rated it really liked it
Pretty cool noir story,
that felt a touch strained
and a little bit redundant at times,
but ended with a strong punch.

William
Jun 21, 2010 William rated it liked it
good. slightly chaotic. another read would help me put the narrative together better. liked the usage of los angeles as a setting and a character. good graphic novel noir.
Reading Reader
Oct 22, 2016 Reading Reader rated it really liked it
Not my favorite artistic style, but still a really solid graphic novel. The story is engaging and different, playing on a host of familiar tropes but taking them in interesting directions.
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Connor Mooney
Connor Mooney rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Wayne Revell
Wayne Revell rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Travis Taghavi
Travis Taghavi rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Sparquire
Sparquire rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012
Leo Hozeman
Leo Hozeman rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Kaitcb
Kaitcb rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Black Sea Affair
  • Revolver
  • Sleeper, Vol. 3: A Crooked Line
  • The Kiribati Test
  • Living and Learning with New Media: Summary of Findings from the Digital Youth Project (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Series on Digital Media and Learning)
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Underground
  • The Mark (Henry Parker, #1)
  • Noir: A Collection of Crime Comics
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Pigeons From Hell
  • Lost Dogs
  • Human Target
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Young People, Ethics, and the New Digital Media: A Synthesis from the Good Play Project: A Synthesis from the GoodPlay Project (The John D. and Catherine ... Reports on Digital Media and Learning)
Joshua Hale Fialkov is the creator (or co-creator, depending) of graphic novels, including the Harvey Nominated Elk’s Run, the Harvey and Eisner nominated Tumor, Punks the Comic, and the Harvey Nominated Echoes.

He has written Alibi and Cyblade for Top Cow, Superman/Batman for DC Comics, Rampaging Wolverine for Marvel, and Friday the 13th for Wildstorm. He’s writing the DC relaunch of I,Vampire, as
More about Joshua Hale Fialkov...