Start by marking “The Vegetarian Option” as Want to Read:
The Vegetarian Option

The Vegetarian Option

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
All too often, the vegetarian option is an afterthought on restaurant menus or the vegetables are relegated to a side dish. Here, for the first time, Simon Hopkinson focuses entirely on cooking mouth-watering recipes without meat or fish. Not written exclusively for vegetarians, this is a fresh source of inspiration for all genuine food lovers.
Hardcover, First edition, 223 pages
Published 2009 by Quadrille Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Vegetarian Option, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegetarian Option

Christine
Jan 25, 2011 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Laid out a bit like your grandmother’s holiday table — everything in its carefully doilied place —, The Vegetarian Option separates recipes by ingredient into more than fifty small sections. Despite this fusty approach, Hopkinson manages a feat most vegetarian cookbooks don’t even attempt: singular focus on the vegetables. While he turns to a handful of rice and pasta dishes at the back, Hopkinson embraces even unpopular veg like watercress, sorrel, and turnips with expert ease. Imagine what he ...more
Holly
Apr 01, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon Hopkinson may not be a vegetarian, but that didn’t stop him from setting his sights on creating a book of mouthwatering vegetarian recipes! "The Vegetarian Option" is, as the author puts it, just that: an option for those who agree that the best meals don’t always contain meat or fish. The recipes within are organized into chapters pairing vegetables that are alike or with complementary flavors. Most of the recipes don’t actually contain both vegetables of the section heading, which was di ...more
^
Jan 27, 2015 ^ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sensual cooks
Hopkinson’s recipe for Tomato Risotto (p.182) is delicate, penetrating fragrant, and superb: even though, being carnivorous, I use chicken stock. Just what home grown tomatoes are grown for! Utterly, utterly yummy.

However, Clee, in “Don’t Sweat The Aubergine” would be less than impressed with Hopkinson’s directions to make Caponata (pg 106). How often do great chefs write recipes without actually cooking them; especially when laying hands (metaphorically?) upon a quiet and unsuspecting aubergine
Suzanne
Apr 01, 2015 Suzanne rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this book. It was free from the Boulder Bookstore around Christmas and I was hoping for some good recipes. I didn't find any that I wanted to make.
Catherine
Aug 23, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it
This book was great to flip through for me, because, obviously, every recipe was meat free, but also because they took a bunch of things I'm familiar with and messed with them in a different way. Most of the recipes were accessible, both in ingredients and in culinary skill. The ones that stood out to me: Cheese Crusted Fried Parsnip Strips with Romesco Sauce
Cream of fennel soup with garlic butter
Onion and Blood Orange Salad
Potato Pie with Beaufort Cheese
The potato pie looked like something ever
Maryancka
Aug 25, 2014 Maryancka rated it really liked it
Beautiful book, recipes are very good.

Linda
Aug 01, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
The author has written intesting reading about the different foods in each chapter and then follows it with recipes. The recipes make lite meal when you are not wanting a heavy one. It is not a true vegetarian meal with all the nutrition of a vegetarian meal. The recipes seem to be great for those meals I only want some veggies. Maybe this is just what you have been looking for too.
Maya Panika
Nov 02, 2009 Maya Panika rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book, an eclectic, unusual mix of vegetarian recipes interspersed with musings on the principal vegetables involved. Nicely presented, beautifully illustrated, attractively written and the recipes (at least, the few I’ve tried so far) are delicious. The nicest cookbook I’ve seen in years.
Liz De Coster
Jun 29, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies, food
This book really sparkles in the simple, classic preparations focusing on quality ingredients and seasonings. Some of the cream-and-gelee type recipes strike me as missing the point of seasonal ingredients, but it's nice to have options for something a little more fancy than my standard bowl-o-vegetables.
Tenli
Jan 08, 2011 Tenli rated it really liked it
I've had this out of the library for weeks, and just renewed it. Everything I've cooked out of The Vegetarian Option has been absolutely delicious. I might have to buy it.
Niki
Nov 18, 2010 Niki rated it it was ok
Didn't think that the recipes sounded very appetizing. I found only three that I thought I would be willing to make.
grace bartlett
This is not a vegetarian cookbook. Don't be fooled.
Mandy
Sep 14, 2010 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
I would consider this book for purchase. It is fabulous.
Tamara
@Cath, feel free to make the parsnips for me. :)
Rachel Maxwell
Jan 23, 2012 Rachel Maxwell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Complicated and unappealing recipes
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
JJ Goomata
JJ Goomata marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Ifonly
Ifonly rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Annelise
Annelise marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Clare Whiting
Clare Whiting rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Catriona
Catriona rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Bobbie Lucas
Bobbie Lucas rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
X-626
X-626 rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Debra J Colclough
Debra J Colclough rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Vicky Anderson-Slight
Vicky Anderson-Slight rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Alma Q
Alma Q marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
N
N marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Joanne Embleton
Joanne Embleton rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015