Start by marking “Melancholy Baby (Sunny Randall, #4)” as Want to Read:
Melancholy Baby (Sunny Randall, #4)

Melancholy Baby (Sunny Randall #4)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,107 ratings  ·  116 reviews
When Sunny Randall helps a young woman locate her birth parents, she uncovers the dark truth about her own past.
Published October 4th 2005 by Berkley (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Melancholy Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melancholy Baby

[And now this review is associated with the correct book!]

Hi, my name's Stephanie Plum Runny Sandall Sunny Randall, Boston PI, and I'm sexy and clever, like Stephanie Plum - except I really am clever, not completely clueless. In fact, I'm not much like Stephanie at all apart from we're both good looking; I have sensible (if cliched) reasons for doing the work I do, rather than getting totally out of my depth because I can't pay my bills. I'm not obviously a female-wish-fulfilment fantasy but rat
We’ve been enjoying knocking off the six entries in Parker’s Sunny Randall set – “Baby” is our fourth. We’re accustomed now to expecting a decent mystery, with plenty of therapy sessions and psychological mental meanderings thrown in on the side as Sunny ponders both her family relationships and her failed marriage to still-loved ex Richie. The “whodunit” part seemed particularly fun – Sunny is hired to prove or disprove that Sarah Markham’s parents are really adoptive rather than biological, an ...more
After reading the book by Minette Walters, I began this book. After the first few paragraphs I checked both covers and publication information to see if there were any disclaimer that the book was written for anyone with a 10th grade education or lower. I could barely stand to read the choppy sentences, and the use of "I" in the first two pages began to sound like a stutter.

I put the book down and tried again the next day with the mindset that I didn't actually have to use the majority of my bra
Parker's Sunny Randall is fun to read about and get involved in her problems. She goes to a therapist becasue her ex-husband just got married and she is totally depressed - can't live with him or without him. Her therapist turns out to be - of course - Dr. Susan Silverman. Anyone who reads Parker knows her lifetime sig. other is Spenser (but he never is mentioned or appears). EAsy read, relaxing, and fun.
I have not read a Sunny Randall mystery by Robert B Parker before....I really liked the character of the hard boiled Boston detective Sunny Randall....I love Robert B Parker's writing a lot...I have read almost every one of his Spenser novels...loved them all...(even enjoyed the Spenser For series)....Love the setting of Boston...(my dad and I travel to and from the Boston area a lot when I was growing up)....I enjoy the sense of humour that is always included in the books...and how dog ...more
Dan Smith
I always like to read Robert B. Parker.. Whether its Spencer, or Jesse Stone, or Sunny Randall, etc.. They are all great easy reads.. there is enough mystery to keep me interested, and then there is always the laid back, smart aleck attitude of the characters that brings out a smile or laugh from time to time.. and this was one of them.

Quick easy read.. took about 3 1/2 hours to go through the whole book...and it was large print..

I am through with all of the Sunny Randall Stories..Not sure if t
Book four of the glorious Sunny Randall series, written by the great, late Robert B Parker is (for the most part) a joy to read, experience and solve. Hired at the book’s commencement by a young girl to find her birth parents, Sunny immediately comes across two less than helpful, and (as it turns out) two less than honest people who brought up the young girl in question.

They refuse to submit to DNA testing to discover the truth the easy way, and refuse to say why. Forced to find the truth the h
Anirban Das
Sunny Randall is no Kinsey Millhone, but thankfully she is no Crodellia Gray either. So, even thought she might not get herself a permanent place in the female Fictional Gumshoe Hall of Fame, but she would definitely not earn a place for all the wrong reasons, like some of her counterparts.

Melacncholy Baby by Robert B. Parker, featuring Sunny Randall, a private detective, starts when she is approached by a girl, who wants to find her biological parents. The girl, Sarah Markham, is convinced that
Boston college student Sarah Markham is convinced that she was adopted and hires PI Sunny Randall to find out the truth. Sarah's parents insist that she isn't adopted but they say they can't find her birth certificate and they both refuse to take a DNA test. The Markham's are so vague and uncooperative when Sunny questions them she is sure they are lying and sets out to find the truth about Sarah's birth. Sunny is also finding out some truths about herself - her ex-husband is getting married and ...more
Sunny and Spenser's worlds come ever so closer together...

Melancholy Baby
is probably my 40th plus Parker book. While the Jesse Stone series was much improved by its last offering, I think this was the weakest of the Sunny Randall series.

The mystery part of Melancholy Baby was excellent, but Sunny spends forever in a day seeing Susan Silverman, expert psychologist and also Spenser's girlfriend. The book gets bogged down with too much detail about feelings, Oedipal complexes and the like.

Annette Bower
Melancholy Baby by Robert B. Parker
A Sunny Randall Novel
ISBN: 0-425-20421-9
Berkley mass-market edition/ October 2005
Parker writes his good mystery in this novel with supporting characters assisting the resolution. I enjoy Parker’s sparse descriptions in his mysteries. However, I was interested in his portrayal of Sunny Randall (Sonya).
I read Parker’s Sunny Randall books perhaps three years ago but I wanted to revisit Sunny.

Sunny Randall is a private detective, in her late thirties. She chooses t
Cornelis Broekhof
This book must have been written for women, I concluded after the first three chapters, in which the female protagonist does nothing but blubber over the fact that her ex-husband is marrying someone else. Much of the remainder of the book is devoted to sessions with her therapist (also a woman) and these are about as interesting to read as last week’s weather forecast. I am a big fan of Parker’s Spenser books and hoped to find some Spenserish suspense and humor in this Sunny Randall story. What ...more
Being a great fan of Jesse Stone as portraited by Tom Selleck I got one Jesse Stone book and enjoyed it a lot. Guest starring Sunny Randall who struck me as a sassy and intelligent lady. When I found 3 SR novels in a 2nd hand bookstore for a little money I decided to give myself a little tread.

This book offers a lot of insight into the person of Sonya Randall and that is almost the saving aspect of this book for me. The detective or mystery part of the book was just not completely there. It seem
Melancholy Baby (Sunny Randall #4) by Robert B. Parker (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2004) (Fiction – Mystery). A college student hires Sunny to locate and identify her birth parents; though she has a set of parents who deny that she was adopted, the girl adamantly believes that they are not her “real parents.” Sunny also becomes a patient of Dr. Susan Silverman, PhD (Spenser's lover). My rating: 7/10, finished 11/6/15.
Rena Glubay
This is the second Robert B. Parker novel that I have read. I enjoyed it and plan to read more of this novels. One of the things I liked about both books is that they are straight forward and lead you down the path to the conclusion instead of having a bunch of red herrings and then you find a twist in the end and you wonder how you got there.

It's a quick read - I finished it in less than 2 days.
#4 in the Sunny Randall series. Series is peripherally in author Parker's Spenser universe.

Sunny Randall, Boston PI, is hired by college student Sarah Markham to find her birth parents. Her parents insist she is not adopted but they refuse DNA testing and someone is willing to use deadly force to stop the investigation. Sunny's ex remarries and she goes to Susan Silverman for therapy.
Daniel Sevitt
I like Sunny. I'm not entirely convinced by her feminist credentials, but I like her anyway. I get that she's more flawed and more in need of therapy than Parker's other characters, I just can't help wondering if that's because she's a woman or not. In this book she solves the riddle and engages the services of Dr. Susan Silverman which was a treat all by itself.
Luis Gutierrez-Poucel
I liked the book, but not the ending.
Sarah Markham, a young student believes she is not related to her parents, so she hires private eye Sunny Randall to find out 'who her real parents are'. The girl has resources of her own to pay for her services. "They can't find my birth certificate" "They don't remember which hospital I was born in." she tells Sunny.
Sunny takes the job and ploughs forward, while dealing with her feelings for Richie Burke (her ex-husband) with the help of her shrink (Spense
Shannon Clements
This was the first Robert B. Parker book I've ever read, and I definately feel that it wasn't a good first book. I'm not new to the genre, though I admittedly have kept mostly to Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Pat Cornwell, Karen Kijewski, Kathy Reichs etc and throughout the book I had this pervasive feeling that I was looking out at the world through an empty head.

Descriptions are there almost as an afterthought, stuck in here and there to break up lines of dialogue. Mostly I think I just got the
Cecil C. Rhodes
Tough woman

Really liked the intertwining of the parent search and shrink visits. Helped keep the story going and get into Sunday's emotional upheaval. Decided who was Sarah's birth mother was about 3/4 through the book.
Greer Andjanetta
A good short story. Unfortunately the short story is padded into a full book by putting each chapter heading (just a number) onto a full page by itself. Combine this with the author's choppy writing style and his technique of keeping chapters to about two or three pages max, finishing each chapter about halfway down a page and leaving the rest of the page blank (along with the back of the page) and a short story becomes a full book. To compound this problem, about every 4th chapter deals with a ...more
Again, a good story with a good main character. Sunny's story is added to satisfactorily -- her ex has gotten married, and she is so upset that she goes to a shrink. Another teen client. This one believes that she has been adopted, but her parents deny it, but won't take a DNA test to prove her wrong. Again, Sunny takes the kid into her loft, and, sure enough, the kid is right. Her mother is a nationally famous right-wing talk show host, and no one knows who her father is. Two murders occur befo ...more
Richard Brand
So the formula is almost identical to the Spenser stories. That should not surprise. But I was a little disappoint that Dr. Susan Silverman was injected into this one. I have read two stories back to back by Parker and both of them are attempts to use the Greek tragedy of oedipus complex as a major part of the story. Parker needs to go back to just writing good stories. I used to like his mysteries and his dialogue and his strange ethical world, but apparently the demands of creativity have gott ...more
Katharine Ott
"Melancholy Baby" - written by Robert B Parker and published in 2004 by Putnam Adult. This was a quick read, kind of shallow, and, reader beware, NOT a Spenser novel.
MELANCHOLY BABY (Private Investigator-Boston/NY-Cont) – VG
Robert B. Parker – 4th in series
Putnam, 2004 – Hardcover
Private Investigator Sunny Randall is hired by troubled college student Sarah Markham to prove that she’s adopted in spite of her parents saying she’s not. At the same time, Sunny is trying to figure out why she is unable to live with anyone.
*** I love Parker. He creates strong, ethical yet human characters, excellent dialogue, strong sense of place, and very good mysteries. Sunny is
More a weak 3....a 5 on the ten point scale, but one of the better Sunny Randall stories...
Kevin Beck
An interesting story. Sunny helps a young woman search for her birth parents.
(3.5 stars) - This is another great Sunny Randall book. Sunny's a character I like more and more. She's many things rolled into one; tough, generous, smart and vulnerable, to name a few. She's interesting. She's a good person, a good friend, and like any other interesting woman living in this day and age, she's trying to find out what she really wants out of life.
I enjoy Robert B. Parker's writing style very much. It's mostly dialogues, which make his books highly entertaining.
In order to truly
Best of the Sunnys as I recall- it's been a while.
Chris May
Another solid installment of Parker. Some crossover with Spenser in this one.

• Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • When a Man Loves a Weapon (Bobbie Faye, #3)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Crash and Burn (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #1)
  • Self's Punishment (Gerhard Self #1)
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Storm Season-One Storm, 3 Novellas
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • A Breath of Hot Air (Maggie O'Dell, #8.5)
  • A Violet March (Samantha Rialto #3)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Sunny Randall (6 books)
  • Family Honor (Sunny Randall, #1)
  • Perish Twice (Sunny Randall, #2)
  • Shrink Rap (Sunny Randall, #3)
  • Blue Screen (Sunny Randall, #5)
  • Spare Change (Sunny Randall, #6)