Start by marking “To Kill a Mockingbird” as Want to Read:
To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  2,332,848 ratings  ·  52,198 reviews
"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unswerving honesty the irrationality
Hardcover, 50th Anniversary , 336 pages
Published May 11th 2010 by Harper (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about To Kill a Mockingbird, please sign up.

Alina Yes actually, we had to read it for our 9th grade English class.
๓คץค ❝ Sᴍɪʟᴇ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴᴇᴅ ❞ Yes, this is a movie now. iTs a super great movie and is directed by Robert Mulligan. Its got some awesome actors like Gregory Peck and was made in…moreYes, this is a movie now. iTs a super great movie and is directed by Robert Mulligan. Its got some awesome actors like Gregory Peck and was made in 1962. The movie is available on amazon. Its really good. :)
Hope this helped!(less)

Steve Sckenda
I met Atticus Finch the year my father died. My father was kind, soft-spoken, and courteous. Like Atticus, “he did not do the things our schoolmates’ fathers did: he never went hunting, he did not play poker or fish, or drink or smoke. He sat in the living room and read.”

While he was alive, I wished my father more heroic, but I was a boy with a shallow understanding of courage. Worst of all, my father told self-effacing stories like the one about a drunken Marine who sneered at him. “I bet I co
Jon
Meghan
If I could give this no stars, I would. This is possibly one of my least favorite books in the world, one that I would happily take off of shelves and stow in dark corners where no one would ever have to read it again.

I think that To Kill A Mockingbird has such a prominent place in (American) culture because it is a naive, idealistic piece of writing in which naivete and idealism are ultimately rewarded. It's a saccharine, rose-tinted eulogy for the nineteen thirties from an orator who comes not
Kim
Why is it when I pick up To Kill A Mockingbird , I am instantly visited by a sensory memory: I’m walking home, leaves litter the ground, crunching under my feet. I smell the smoke of fireplaces and think about hot cider and the wind catches and my breath is taken from me and I bundle my coat tighter against me and lift my head to the sky, no clouds, just a stunning blue that hurts my eyes, another deep breath and I have this feeling that all is okay.

Why? Why this memory? I mean, this takes pla
Stephen
Photobucket

6.0 stars. I know I am risking a serious “FILM AT 11” moment and a club upside the head from Captain Obvious for voicing this, but nabbit dog I still think it needs to be said…TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is one of the BEST and MOST IMPORTANT American novels ever written. Okay, I said it, and I will wait patiently while you get your DUHs and DERs out of the way and hang your “no shit” signs outside for Inspector Holmes.

Okay, now given the gruntload of reviews/ratings this book has I know I’m not the f
Denise
Jan 25, 2008 Denise rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Denise by: Bookgroup
Houston
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”(p. 20)

I love this book and this idea of reading being like breathing. As Scout did, I read early too, and often. Every night before bed I would read and still do. I saw a Twilight Zone Episode once where the main character loved to read and only wanted to be left alone to do so. After falling asleep in the vault of the bank where he worked, he awoke to a post-disaster world where only he was left. He busily gat
Lit Bug
May 04, 2015 Lit Bug rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
In the course of 5 years, I’ve read this book nearly 17 times. That adds up to reading it once at least every 4 months, on an average. And I still return to this book like a bark seeking a lighthouse in the dark. When I first finished it, I was so overwhelmed by how much I related to it, I read it nearly 8 times before the year ended. By now I’ve memorized almost every scene and I still can’t shake off the feeling that I still have to learn a lot from it. Over the years, I realize that without k ...more
Lou

A wonderful piece of literature, great characters, plot and prose. There is sadness and happiness, racism and equality, immaturity and maturity, injustice and redemption.
Atticus is a man we could all love and look up to a grounded just and fair man he sees beyond race and finds the goodness in people. His cook Calpurnia Is honest good black lady who you just gotta love in this story, she works for a nice family who are about to go through some obstacles and testing times.
A lot of the story is t
Joel
I loved this story! I was completely captivated from the start. This is the type of book where I would often miss something out, and then have read the previous paragraph again, I am not used to having to read every single word of a book, but I had to here.

That didn’t take away from how much I enjoyed it though, my favourite read of the year so far (I have only read 2 other books this year whatevs yeahyeah).
Maureen
Rereading this book as an adult made me realize how truly beautiful and wonderful it is. It will forever be one of my favorites.
s.penkevich

Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird is an undisputed classic that few will avoid having read in their lifetime, and those few are to be pitied. As I habe presentation of the novel coming up this weekend, a discussion group that I am lucky enough to be allowed to lead as part of the The Big Read here in Holland, Michigan, I felt it necessary to revisit
Mona
I read this book a long time ago, when I was ten years old. I remembered nothing from it except thinking it was really, really good. And here I am, thirteen years later. I picked it up again because I was curious about what my reaction would be to it now.

The book follows three years in the life of Scout Finch, her brother Jem, their father Atticus, and their fictional town of Maycomb, Alabama, in the era of the Great Depression. The first half of the novel focuses mainly on Scout and Jem's child
Mike
To Kill a Mockingbird: Harper Lee's Novel of Integrity and Duty in the Face of Intolerance and Injustice

“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.-- Atticus Finch”

Photobucket

Harper Lee, born 1926, 86

When Harper Lee published To Kill a Mockingbird in 1960 a few well known Southern authors had a few tart things to say about it.
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jul 15, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Idealists, or just plain lovers of a good yarn
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Kelly
I avoided reading this, wary of all the hype, seen the movie - so if you’re one of the few who hasn’t read it I promise not to harass you by proclaiming that ‘you must!’ If the mood ever strikes though I bet you’ll love it. What convinced me was when a young interracial couple I know had their 1st child and she insisted on naming him Atticus. At first her husband hated the name, that is until he read the book... Then his enthusiasm was so infectious it got to me, that and curiosity. Why does it ...more
Jason Koivu
If the total output of your entire career should include only one thing, make it something special.

Not only was To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee's only novel, at one point she nearly destroyed it. That would have been a terrible loss, for - coming from an insular, white-New England upbringing - this book was a game changer for me and my young outlook on life and race relations. Having read it as a youth, it's coming-of-age or loss-of-innocence theme spoke to me while the idea of equal rights fo
Rishi
Aug 05, 2007 Rishi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Mike (the Paladin)
This rates possibly as my favorite novel. It has no down side. Wonderfully written, amazing characters (based on reality), and marvelously readable.

A side issue, I can at times hate preachy, self righteous, or PC books. This book carries it’s moral compass proudly and does it well. Atticus Finch, is in many ways the man I wish I was.

I love this book and could not tell you how many times I’ve read it. Don't miss this book...for whatever reason. This is THE AMERICAN NOVEL.

Update: 5/30/2012

Read an
Notes from an academic discussion about the book:

Each time I read this book, a different “universal truth” jumps out at me. When I was younger, I pondered the themes of prejudice, kindness, and dignity that run through the book, but now that I’m considerably older, what stuck out to me this time were the themes of innocence, and loss of innocence running through the whole book.

This reading I was particularly caught by the child-like perspective that the book gives each of the events. From the ki
Diane Librarian
OK, everyone needs to stop what you're doing and go find a copy of Sissy Spacek reading this book. I am not exaggerating when I say it is the best audiobook performance I have ever heard.

I have read To Kill a Mockingbird perhaps 10 or 12 times in my life, and it is one of my favorite books, but this was the first time I listened to it. Sissy was the perfect narrator for Scout, and she also did a fantastic job at all of the other voices. If you like audiobooks, this is a must-listen. (And if any
Cheryl
'Hey, Boo' are two of the most perfect words in literature because they salute the "other" we all are asked to fold into our awareness. This is a universal, a spiritual truth that humans have the capacity to experience in life, and Harper Lee tapped it in Scout's salutation to Arthur Radley in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. What are we to do with those unlike us?

Ms. Lee said she wanted to be the Jane Austen of Southern Alabama. Instead, with one novel, she has caused readers everywhere to enlarge their
Maxwell
I first read this book my freshman year of high school, at the age of 14 or 15. And now, here I am, at 22 and graduating from college reading it for the second time. It's incredible how much difference those 8 years of school have on one's perspective. Though I remembered a lot of the plot from this book, as it's quite memorable and I have seen the film a time or two, there were also a lot of elements, especially characterization, that I see in a totally different light.

To me, upon a second read
طَيْف
أول ما يلفت انتباهك في هذه الرواية عنوانها...والذي ترجم بأكثر من طريقة...أن تقتل طائرا محاكيا...لا تقتل عصفورا ساخرا

تشرح الرواية بطريقة غير مباشرة اختيار هذا العنوان ليكون مناسبا لها، رغم أنه لا يوحي بشكل مباشر بأحداثها

"والدك على حق، فالعصافير الساخرة لا تفعل شيئاً سوى أنها تعزف لنا الموسيقى لنستمتع بها. إنها لا تأكل حدائق الناس، ولا تعشعش في اهراءات الذرة، ولا تفعل شيئاً سوى أنها تغني حتى تفني قلوبها من أجلنا. لذا فإن قتل العصفور الساخر خطيئة."

وقد ارتكبت هذه الخطيئة لما قتل توم روبنسون بتهمة و
Clau R.
So... I don't really know what to say.

I think I loved this book, but for a reason beyond my understanding, it never hooked me, and it took me AGES to finish it! Some chapters (especially at the beginning) was tedious and hard for me to get through them... but then there were some chapters that I devoured (the whole Tom Robinson trial and the last ones).

I definitely learned a lesson or two from this book. Atticus is my new role model, he is really incredible. I also love Scout and Jem, those kids
Shovelmonkey1
May 08, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: incipient osmosis of popular culture
It’s nice to finally read a classic novel. It’s off the pile, you’ve read it and it’s done and now you’ve joined the ranks of many millions of people all over the world who have enjoyed it, considered it and perhaps been influenced or improved by the very act of reading such a masterful work of 20th Century literature. This kind of book comes with a free added bonus of a sense of achievement.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books which is a part of modern literary culture for good reason; t
Fahad
لا تقتل عصفوراً ساخراً

يالمأزق الكتابة عن الكتب المطروقة، تشعر بأنك وفي أي لحظة ستعيد كلام أحدهم، ستتعثر بكلماته وأفكاره، تشعر بصعوبة البحث عن صوتك، وكتابة شيء أصيل، تقول فيه ما لم يقل بعد.

ويالمأزق قراءة هذه الكتب ابتداءً، فحتى لو كنت لا تعرف تفاصيلها، إلا أن ما قيل وما كتب عنها عالق في ذهنك، يكاد يوجه انتباهك، بحيث يغدو النص كما قيل، لا كما يجب أن تقرؤه.

وفي هذه الرواية تبرز موضوعة (ثيمة) العنصرية بشكل ظاهر، بحيث تستولي على كل حديث أو مراجعة عن الكتاب، رغم أن العنصرية كموضوعة لا تشغل إلا النصف
Rowena
My second reading of this amazing book, read for my December bookclub meeting, I definitely appreciated the writing style and story more the second time around. I love most of the characters in this book; how could you not fall in love with Scout? In my opinion, she is one of the best book characters ever. It's fascinating to see her grow in her understanding of the world around her, and also to see how she struggles with her "unladylike" ways.

The first time I read this book, I was impressed by
Heba Nouraldeen
تستحق خمس نجوم وعن جدارة..ولكننى اّثرت أن أنسب حبها لقلبى :)
ان تلك الرواية لم تكن مجرد أحداث يومية لطفلين يمتلكان أباً رائعاً...بل كانت حياة تمر أمام عينيّ وكأننى جزء منها ...والله إن دقات قلبى تتسارع الى حد اننى لا اعرف التمهل فى كتابة مراجعة تليق بهذة الرواية العظيمة
لقد أحببت "اتيكوس" الأب الطيب الحنون ..
الذى يضم طفليه الى صدره..يربت على رأسهما ولا ينسى ان يقول من القيم الأنسانية التى ترسم لهما الطريق الى حياة فاضلة
ينصت الى وجهة نظر كل منهما بهدوء ويُحدثهما وكأنهما بالغَين
إن كان المحور الر
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This book is one of the best books I've ever read. It has so many layers. It is an excellent coming of age book that deals with the issues of racism, injustice, intolerance, and bigotry so eloquently. It also shows the love between a father and his children, and the true meaning of courage. It's a shame that Harper Lee only wrote this one book. But at least she hit the ball out of the park with this one book. Atticus Finch is one of my all time favorite heroes.
Franco  Santos
Me gustó mucho este libro. Harper Lee sin lugar a dudas es una gran escritora con un estilo firme y sutil. Es un relato que se centra en el racismo y su impacto en la sociedad, en especial en los niños. También tiene una dosis de misterio, el cual, a mi gusto, la autora lo trató de manera extraordinaria.
description
Uno no conoce de veras a un hombre hasta que se pone dentro de su pellejo y se mueve como si fuera él.

El inicio me resultó bastante pesado: en muchas partes me dormía y me costaba mantenerme c
Café Literario: Junio - Matar un ruiseñor 1 3 May 27, 2015 11:08AM
500 Great Books B...: To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 5 36 May 25, 2015 03:03PM
Goodreads Ireland: Spoiler Thread: To Kill a Mockingbird 20 21 May 25, 2015 08:05AM
Let's Talk Love S...: To Kill a Mockingbird - Buddy Read 4 9 May 22, 2015 06:59PM
2015 Reading Chal...: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee 5 24 May 21, 2015 08:18PM
What is the theme of To Kill a Mockingbird? 35 86 May 21, 2015 04:49PM
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • The Tempest
  • Queens' Play (The Lymond Chronicles, #2)
  • The Reivers: A Reminiscence
  • Bleak House
  • The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Jane Eyre
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
  • The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Bridge of San Luis Rey
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • All the King's Men
  • Nobody's Fool
  • Where the Red Fern Grows
  • Lonesome Dove
  • Absolutely Normal Chaos
Harper Lee, known as Nelle, was born in the Alabama town of Monroeville, the youngest of four children of Amasa Coleman Lee and Frances Cunningham Finch Lee. Her father, a former newspaper editor and proprietor, was a lawyer who served on the state legislature from 1926 to 1938. As a child, Lee was a tomboy and a precocious reader, and enjoyed the friendship of her schoolmate and neighbor, the you ...more
More about Harper Lee...

To Kill a Mockingbird (2 books)
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2)
To Kill a Mockingbird/The Shoes of the Fisherman/Seven Days in May/To Catch an Angel: Adventures in the World I Cannot See (Reader's Digest Condensed Books Special Selections) Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2) The Harper Lee Collection: To Kill a Mockingbird + Go Set a Watchman (Dual Slipcased Edition) To Kill a Mockingbird / The Agony and the Ecstasy / The Winter of Our Discontent / Fate Is the Hunter Ledigs legendäres Lesevergnügen

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” 12347 likes
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.” 9461 likes