Start by marking “X-Men Origins” as Want to Read:
X-Men Origins

X-Men Origins (X-Men Origins #1)

Witness the very first adventures of your favorite mutants! From the moment Professor Xavier arrived on her doorstep, young Jean Grey knew things would change forever. But she was never prepared for how strange life at the Xavier Institute could be - or just how dangerous she truly was. Will she be able to harness her budding powers in time to prove herself a hero? Or will ...more
Published June 2nd 2010 by Marvel (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about X-Men Origins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men Origins

Nicolo Yu
I never thought I’d have the chance to scope out a Booksale branch in Davao City. I’ve exhausted all the bargain graphic novels in all the Booksale branches in Cagayan de Oro; I wanted a chance to try other branches beyond my city. A recent training tri sponsored by my school came at the right time. I found a few trades and this is my first review of a book from my haul.

X-Men Origins is a collection of one shots featuring the back stories of six X-Men characters who figure prominently in the X-M
K
Sep 23, 2015 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
grrrrr i really hate this "every comic must have different artwork"
Colosus, Wolverine and Gambit had awesome artwork. Jean and Beast were like repainted photographs so they look like comics. Beside the two uglies, i really enjoyed them all. Wolverine and Gambit will forever be my favorite characters.
Mark
Jul 18, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
As the title suggests, this book collects stories of the X-men before they were X-men.
Included are Sabretooth, Wolverine, Beast, Jean Grey and others.

Fans will be familiar with most of the stories but there are few minor surprises.
While the art is good, the stories might be best suited for new readers.

Notes
Professor X is kinda...creepy.

Learning Curve
Low: Good for new readers
BlueLilyxLilyBlue
Sep 28, 2011 BlueLilyxLilyBlue rated it it was amazing
Jean Grey have always been my favorite XMEN character! The way they showed her story made me love her more. :) The graphics were amazing and so are the dialogues. I REALLY REALLY LOVED IT!
Adrián Yoguez
Jun 03, 2015 Adrián Yoguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustaron mucho las historias de Emma y de Jean, la de Deadpool fue muy divertida y la de Cíclope fue muy interesante.
Xavier Guillaume
Feb 12, 2012 Xavier Guillaume rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: X-Men fans who want to learn more about the origins of these characters
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'll review X-Men Origins and X-Men Origins II together since they're so similar.

X-Men Origins covers a wide array of X-Men characters, but don't expect it to be like the movie versions of X-Men Origins, which follows a continuous story. No, these are short vignettes that only give a small dose of the origins of these characters. Each character might have many different kinds of powers, from the ability to turn into steel or the ability to kill a person by giving them a massive migraine, but the
Greta is Erikasbuddy
This probably wasn't the best X-men book for me to read because quite frankly even though I was learning about their ORIGINS I still got confused about what on earth was happening.

I figured this book would be the BEGINNING of everyone and while it kinda sorta was it wasn't really.

The reason I gave this book 2 stars and not 1 (it's not bad! It just confused me) is because Sabertooth's story was awesome.

Wolverine's is ok but it didn't go into the detail that I wanted.

Although, I'll always be with
May
Like any anthology, you will have some strong stories and some weak stories. Unfortunately, this volume had weak ones (Beast and Sabretooth), really weak ones (Wolverine and Gambit) and some potentials (Colossus and Jean Grey). Part of the problem stems from the fact that the stories were allotted only so much space that in a few cases, the storyline wasn't very well developed and too confusing to put together (Wolverine). Character development was also a problem for a few of them, especially Sa ...more
Steven Shinder
Aug 09, 2014 Steven Shinder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emelie
Oct 20, 2012 Emelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because this graphic novel takes a form where each chapter is a different story, it's a little hard to get into the flow of it. Every chapter explains the origin of one of the members of the X-Men series, but cuts off quiet abruptly after a couple of pages, moving on the the next superhero. However, I enjoyed that every chapter is illustrated in a different style. Some characters are drawn in a relatively realistic fashion while others are drawn in a more traditional manga-style. Though it was h ...more
Eman
Dec 09, 2012 Eman rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The book contains 6 characters' Origin stories, namely Wolverine, Jean Grey, Colossus, Sabretooth, Gambit, and Beast (not necessarily in that order).

The artworks are good, but what I don't get is the different costume designs for each story even though they are all part of a same book (I know they are done by different artists and writers and all but you know what I mean). And the stories are somewhat confusing, you can't even tell if they are all in the same continuity, or just randomly written
Jaime Starr
Dec 28, 2016 Jaime Starr rated it it was amazing
Not as strong as volume 2 (maybe that's because not enough of my favourites were in volume 1) - Beast's origin story felt wildly mischaracterised. It's like they forgot that one of his taglines is "Mrs McCoy's boy". Really enjoyed the Colossus story though - felt like they finally got something to his character beyond vague ethnic stereotyping.
Abbie
Mar 02, 2012 Abbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay stories, not quite deep enough for my tastes, but still good. Art was also enjoyable. The common theme seems to be "hey, look, character in crisis. poof. professor X shows up to modify memories, and give a purpose in life." Would have liked to see more of the manifestation of each character's powers. maybe that's covered elsewhere.
Erikka
Awesome beginnings to some of the most notable X-men. I especially liked Jean Grey's story and Colossus'. I found Wolverine's to be a little weak (maybe because his life story is already so well-developed in the movies) and Gambit's was a little confusing (probably because he ISN'T well-developed in the movies). All really fun reads though with great art.
Christian
Jan 16, 2016 Christian rated it liked it
Origin stories of several members of the X-Men Universe: Jean Grey, Wolverine, Beast, Colossus, Gambit, and Sabretooth. These one-shots are written and drawn by a variety of people, and some are better than others.
Nicole Shelby
Oct 24, 2011 Nicole Shelby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I find that origins stories of good comic characters are usually very good. And, this one was no exception. Well thought out, interesting, and entertaining. Good stories that were well-written. Great art. Everything I like in a good comic book.
Michela
Sep 26, 2012 Michela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: moffat-street
Meh. Not bad, but really nothing at all new. Some great artwork, though, particularly in Jean's origin story. I got this from the Queens Library and a previous borrower had drawn, like, a bunch of nipples throughout the book. It was super distracting, but not the book's fault.
Jonathan Lane
Interesting to get a peak into the origin stories of some of the beloved X-Men characters. Was hoping for more of a tied-together story as opposed to a collection of introductions to character origins, but the latter was still an enjoyable and interesting read.
TJ Shelby
Apr 05, 2010 TJ Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
Great read! Better than expected. You wouldn't think that one-shot origins could be so compelling but it was fully compelling. The one-shot origin stories focused on Jean Grey, Beast, Colossus, Wolverine, Sabretooth and Gambit. My two favorites were about Gambit and Colossus.
Jorge
Aug 29, 2012 Jorge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean Grey's story has the best art and all of them a great story. Brief and action packed, X-Men Origins collects the starting points of some of the most influential mutants in the Marvel Universe.
James
Dec 01, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good book but the plot felt like it was everywhere
Angela
Apr 12, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
Some good stories and very nice artwork. Really liked the Beast story.
Doug Cornelius
A medley of early stories of Gambit, Sabretooth, Wolverine, Hank McCoy (pre-Beast), Jean Grey, and Colossus. It's a mixed bag of art work and stories. Each feels too short and too shallow.
Tara Schaafsma
I liked this. I have read similar versions before, except for Gambit's story, whom I really like.
S
Jun 07, 2012 S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
Mostly meh apart from the odd element, like Mike Mayhew's beautiful painted work on the Jean Grey story.
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Bonnie
Sep 14, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Loooved the Jean Grey bit.
Nata
May 25, 2014 Nata rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics
Not completely captivating but definitely an enjoyable, light read. Something to consider if you are interested in starting X-Men.
NaomiRuth
I almost forgot I read this one this year. Yay! More comics.
Ma'Belle
The artwork in all of these one-shot X-Men origin stories was fantastic. Unfortunately, the writing was less than exciting. I tend to make my judgments based mostly on the writing.
  • X-Men Origins II
  • Cable, Volume 3: Stranded
  • X-Men: Fairy Tales (Marvel Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude
  • Amazing X-Men, Volume 2: World War Wendigo
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1: The Next Generation
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 2
  • Avengers: X-Sanction
After writing indie comics (such as the ensemble teen-drama The Waiting Place) for six years, Sean got his big break writing an issue of The Incredible Hulk for Marvel Comics in 2001. Since then, Sean has written hundreds of comics for Marvel, DC Comics and other publishers, including notable runs on Sentinel, Inhumans, Mystique, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, Gravity, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, B ...more
More about Sean McKeever...

X-Men Origins (2 books)