Start by marking “Let There Be Clothes: 40,000 Years of Fashion” as Want to Read:
Let There Be Clothes: 40,000 Years of Fashion
Preview

Let There Be Clothes: 40,000 Years of Fashion

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  3 reviews
"Let There Be Clothes" is the most glamorous way to know what the world has been up to, with literally thousands of pictures and quotes, short paragraphs of utmost interest, and brief bios on the fashion immortals.
Published September 1st 1991 by Workman Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Let There Be Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let There Be Clothes

Jenny Bannock
I can't add six stars, so I'll have to go with five. This is my hands-down favorite book about fashion, history, and how the two are irrevocably intertwined.

At first glance, "Let There Be Clothes" is wacky, colorful, and irreverent. Though the cut & paste images and the snarky, punny sense of humor might turn off the casual reader, this book is packed with tidbits about clothes, how they were worn, why they were worn, what colors meant, what was in the makeup, the beauty tricks...gosh, every
Phyllis
This enormous, epic book is an irreverent but exhaustively researched kind of fashion almanac going back to the VERY DAWN OF HUMANITY and ending in the early 1990s. The emphasis is mainly on Western fashion history, probably because it would have been an even huger undertaking to be totally inclusive and go worldwide. It's a fun book, although sometimes the humor veered dangerously close into Cathy Guisewite territory for me. I am here for any tortuous fashion based puns, but jokes about trying ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Very informative. I wasn't really impressed with some of the illustrations but I learned a lot. Some people have had some really strange ideas in the name of fashion. And then there are the stupid ones. Perhaps I should say ignorant since they simply didn't know any better.
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Amaranta Henriquez
Amaranta Henriquez marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Melissa Cecchini
Melissa Cecchini marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Caren
Caren is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2014
Lauren Coyle
Lauren Coyle marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Kenna
Kenna marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Martha
Martha added it
Dec 02, 2013
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
Jennie
Jennie added it
Mar 04, 2013
Stacy
Stacy added it
Jan 18, 2013
Claudine
Claudine marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
The Best Laid Plans The Men I Didn't Marry The Botox Diaries Mine Are Spectacular! Kings, Queens, Knights, & Jesters: Making Medieval Costumes