Start by marking “Leaf Man” as Want to Read:
Leaf Man

Leaf Man

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,306 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Fall has come, the wind is gusting, and Leaf Man is on the move. Is he drifting east, over the marsh and ducks and geese? Or is he heading west, above the orchards, prairie meadows, and spotted cows? No one's quite sure, but this much is certain: A Leaf Man's got to go where the wind blows.

With illustrations made from actual fall leaves and die-cut pages on every spread th
Published September 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Leaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsPumpkin Soup by Helen CooperApples and Pumpkins by Anne F. RockwellFletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson
Picture books about Fall
1st out of 58 books — 40 voters
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsLeaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy TafuriLeaves by David Ezra SteinScary, Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting
Books about Fall/Autumn for Toddlers
2nd out of 30 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
This is a cool collage of real leaves forming all the illustrations--a leaf man, leaf birds, leaf fish, leaf prairies, leaf forests... it's nifty and fun for autumn though it didn't especially strike a chord with me.
Teacher.
Sep 19, 2011 Teacher. rated it it was amazing

Reviewed at my blog: HERE @ Teacher.Mother.Reader Book Blog

Leaf Man comes from popular children’s Author and Illustrator Lois Elhert. Elhert is known for her collage style of illustrating, using found objects to create colorful and beautiful scenes. Leaf Man is available in a hardcover edition with glossy printed pages, each scalloped on the top to create a layered effect within the book.

Leaf man has landed in your yard, that’s right, look carefully and you will see the outline of a little man i
Lizet Serrano
I think the illustrations are what make this such a great story. I also, like the fact that the names of the leaves are included, which could be something that could catch a child's attention.
Megan
Aug 05, 2007 Megan rated it really liked it
I met this author when she came to our library for our storytelling festival. After hearing her talk about her work and her art, I appreciate and admire her books even more. Mainly she works in collage, though her cut out books, namely Color Farm and Color Zoo, are equally creative and detailed. Much of her inspiration comes from nature and I have a hard time believing she still has not won a caldecott medal for her work. Look for board book variations of her work for the new babies. THe shapes ...more
Nov 09, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I would give the illustrations a 4 or 5, and the "story" a 2. I absolutely loved the pictures, though I wish they had all been collages of leaves in their natural state; some of them were cutouts to force round & pear shapes o fit a theme. I love fall leaves and hidden pictures, so this was great to me, I just really wish the story had been better, and had some kind of rhythm or rhyme. It just seemed off.

I read this as part of a fall-themed storytime for 3 year-olds. At first they didn't qui
Linda
Aug 03, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Per Lois Ehlert's style of big and bold, colorful and simple, Leaf Man will not disappoint. The Leaf Man is artistically formed from Fall leaves of all sorts or shades of the season. He has acorn eyes, and a small, round sweet gum tree's fruit (often called a "gumball") for his mouth. (You can see him on the cover of the book.) And this book is filled, just filled, with the leaves of a Fall season.

"A Leaf Man's got to go where the wind blows." ... the refrain that runs throughout this book. The
Lisa Vegan
I loved, loved, loved the leaves and the art made with them and the different shapes of the pages, and I liked the author’s note at the end. The “story” did nothing for me at all. This would have worked better for me as one of those wordless picture books. The leaves are wonderful though. 5 stars for the illustrations and 1 star for the story = 3 stars.
Lauren
Feb 26, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard of this book before my first teaching practice. The book is perfect for introducing autumn! In my experience the 3 and 4 year olds in my nursery really enjoyed this book. The book was a base for many fun and engaging activities including looking for and collecting leaves - the children enjoyed looking at the leaves on the floor and talking about the colours they could see. It helped children understand what happens to the trees and the leaves in the autumn. The book also inspired ...more
Last Ranger
Jan 22, 2014 Last Ranger rated it it was amazing

The Unexpected Journey.

This is one of the most creative books I've ever seen. Author Lois Ehlert has turned a life-long hobby of collecting leaves into a unique children's book that appeals to both the young and the young at heart. Each page is a delightful romp through the autumn woods and fields of America. Look for the Leaf Man on the first page, then follow him as the wind takes him to far flung places on his unexpected journey. Don't be too quick when you're flipping through this book, take
Jordan Smith
Nov 14, 2015 Jordan Smith added it
Shelves: poetry
Summary: This is a delightful children's book that celebrates autumn and the beautiful fall leaves. This picture book features large and stunning collages and the story of a leaf man formed as the wind blows autumn leaves.

Activity: This book is a great book to use for transitioning into the fall season. An activity you could use with this book is letting students create their own leaf man. After reading this book which discusses the beautiful and changing leaves of autumn, take the students on a
Russell
Nov 23, 2014 Russell rated it it was ok
Fun concept, but execution falls a bit short.

While far too many children's books coddle young readers without giving them any room for their imagination to interpret things a step further, Leaf Man drops them in the middle of a stormy sea without a floatation device. The leaf objects are well put together and a delight for a perceptive adult, but harder to discern for other populations.

Additionally, more could have been done with the irregularly cut pages. Perhaps as a tool to illustrate what th
Brittany
Sep 28, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Fantastic illustrations. Love.
Christina
Mar 08, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
Leaf man is a beautiful photo collage of fall leaves. Ehlert uses the leaves' color and shape to assemble a “Leaf Man” and the reader follows his journey as the wind takes him away. The text is simple, yet full of information about direction, habitats and types of leaves. The scalloped edges merge the unchanging fall background with a foreground which moves from marshes to meadows to a lake. The native wildlife of ducks, turkey and fish are constructed from bright fall leaves, and readers will e ...more
Martha Freeman
Sep 14, 2011 Martha Freeman rated it it was amazing
“Leaf Man” shows the author’s trademark mastery of collage in a gorgeous celebration of fall foliage.

Not only that, its endpapers provide a valuable service, at least for leaf know-nothings like me, by giving names to the leaf litter on sidewalks and forest floors, including maple, honey locust, sweet gum, ginkgo, ash and oak.

Everyone’s familiar with the sight of a man in the moon or a hippo in the clouds. In this case, Ehlert takes the same idea – and a little artful arrangement– to see figures
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Author's Note:
"Whenever I see a beautiful leaf, I have to pick it up. I can't help myself; it's something I've done all my life. I used to press leaves in my phone book, only to find them later- dull, dry, and crumbling. When researching maple leaves for the illustrations in my book "Read Leaf, Yellow Leaf", I made color copies of the leaves I'd collected for reference as soon as I found them so I could capture their magnificent colors before they faded. When I began thinking about making "Leaf
Brit
Nov 28, 2012 Brit rated it it was amazing
Leaf Man is such a cute, fun picture book to read. The illustrations are realistic and all autumn colors with dark reds, browns, burnt oranges, and hunter greens. The pages change in height with the top of the pages varying in designs. The words are in large font and are easy to read with a few words that may be challenging like "prairie". The story talks about a man made of leaves and how the wind blew and he went away. As the story goes on, it goes into the journey he may be going through as h ...more
Lavonnia
Nov 23, 2013 Lavonnia rated it it was amazing
Leaf Man is a picture book that won the 2005 Child’s magazine’s Best Children’s Book Awards. This book is intended for ages 4 through 6, the (I) Infancy, ages birth through 5 years old and the (P) Primary reading range, ages 5 through 8.

The book describes autumn leaves and how they are blown all over, up down over and under. It shows there different shapes and colors.

I am giving the book a 5 star rating, this is based on the illustration on the pages, the various shapes of the pages, the colors
Katie Voss
Nov 01, 2014 Katie Voss rated it it was amazing
I had hear this book was beautiful and innovative, but it really blew me away. It combines nature with whimsy, which can be appealing for someone interested in flora or art. I love how sometimes the leaves were used in their original shapes and other times they were cut into new shapes to create pictures or characters. It would be a fun exercise to pair with a book about trees or leaves and have kids identify all the different types of leaves.
2014reader
Sep 20, 2015 2014reader rated it it was amazing
Having read another book by Lois Ehlert titled, Planting a Rainbow, I really enjoyed reading Leaf Man. I discovered there were elements conducive for dialogic, counting, and geographic directions. What I really liked best and that could be pointed out to youngsters if not readily discovered or recognized by them were the animals and vegetables, for instance, formed from copies of actual leaves collected by the author and her helpers.
Mara Meyer
Oct 06, 2014 Mara Meyer rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I loved how the illustrations made a wide varity of animals and foods. I think it would be wondersful to take our students on a walk and see all they different things the wind blows and makes with the leaves. When we read this book to our students I was amazed by all the things our DCD children could see. We also made leaf men:) There were many activities that a teacher could incorprate with this book.
Traci Bold
Oct 29, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Ever wonder where the leaves go when the wind carries them away? Well, Lois Ehlert did and because of it, she created a vibrant autumn book with unique pages to show her ideas of where 'Leaf Man'went and where he goes.

As stunning book to inspire imagination.

Published by HMH.
Mary Dye
This book was another one of those that I was expecting much more of an explanation than I received in the conclusion. I did not particularly enjoy this book, but I think that the students that enjoy learning about the seasons and the fall would really enjoy this book.
Kendra
Mar 06, 2010 Kendra rated it it was amazing
Suzanne DeConto
This book is a great way to represent the way in which leaves can be used in art, to make different pictures and objects. It really encourages children to use their imagination while observing nature. The colors and details of the leaves are great and the guide in the back which displays different types of leaves is very informative. The different shapes of the top of the pages also adds a creative element. The actual story was stronger at some points than others. At the end it says “Listen for ...more
Maggie
BG-HB award (2006)

Illustrations made entirely in abstraction of leaves, good practice for little minds to see shapes in lots of ways. Each page is a different shape and size, demonstrating the different terrains that leaf man blows over.
RC
Oct 24, 2014 RC rated it really liked it
The beautiful leaf collages capture the wonder of nature and the lyrical text reflects the joy of fall. There are useful end notes that will help young people appreciate the nature that surrounds them and go on Leaf Man's journey with him.
Courtney
This is a great book to use to introduce fall. It had various types of leaves on each page in the form of a collage. The pictures depict real leaves and cover every page. The story tells the journey a leaf takes when the wind blows.
Alena
Jan 02, 2016 Alena rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Fall, Autumn, foliage, leaves, imagination. Great pairing with It Looked Like Spilled Milk or Duck! Rabbit! or Sky Dragons. Lesson idea: Have students create their own collage illustrations with leaves. PK-3rd.
Kaitlyn Lawrence
Oct 07, 2015 Kaitlyn Lawrence rated it it was ok
Shelves: k-2, holidays
This was not a book that I would highly recommend. I think that it would be a good book to put on the shelf during the fall season. I liked the illustrations and the images the leaves formed when placed together.
Paul
Oct 15, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-lit
The gorgeous leaves throughout the book are what drew me in and boosted my expectations. The storyline and the barely-discernible depictions of the leaf man and other creatures he spots during his flight were the big letdown.
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves