Start by marking “The Demon Queen And The Locksmith” as Want to Read:
The Demon Queen And The Locksmith

The Demon Queen And The Locksmith

In Turquoise, New Mexico, a small group of hippies believe that the mountain north of town emits a constant, resonant hum that is only audible to a chosen few. They call themselves the Hearers, and the fact that fourteen-year-old Kevin Brown has never trusted them makes it all the worse when his own ears begin to ring, and he comes to realize "The Turquoise Hum" may be muc ...more
ebook
Published (first published September 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Queen And The Locksmith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Queen And The Locksmith

Alice Yeh
May 17, 2011 Alice Yeh rated it really liked it
The so-called "Turquoise Hum" is an unique phenomenon, one that is not quite spiritual and not quite corporeal; it is a signal inextricably interwoven in the lives of individuals the world over. Kevin Brown's father is one person whose existence has been touched by the Hum. He is a Hearer, one who was able to follow this combination of life force and echolocation to find his way to a small town in New Mexico.

While the concept itself may seem extraordinarily complex, Baum feeds it to us in digest
Kelly
Oct 01, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
I have one word of advice for you with this book: Don't let the title fool you. Trust me on this. I let this one linger on my Kindle for months after picking it up as a freebie because I kept thinking "I don't know if I want to read about a demon queen and a locksmith." I mean, the title tells you exactly what the book's about yet at the same time it doesn't really do the book justice. This book was interesting and intriguing and it wasn't at all as silly as I thought it was going to be based on ...more
Al
Apr 23, 2011 Al rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, read-2011
The fantasy genre has been severely neglected in my reading materials over the years, although I have read some. One way "The Demon Queen and the Locksmith" differs from what I’ve previously read is the “story world” is at least nominally the world in which all of us live. Whether genre purists would still consider this fantasy or not, I have no idea. At least for me, that doesn’t matter, the story does, and in this case it is a good one.

The first day of high school is trying for everyone. For K
Pauline Ross
Strange book, quite surreal. It's young adult, which limits the scope, but nevertheless there's some depth to it. The premise: three teenagers meet by chance, it seems, in the park and witness some strange events which lead to them developing superpowers. And if the idea is not the most original ever, the author gives it a whimsical, bizarre spin which is anything but hackneyed. There are butterflies and bugs and an oak tree and strange swirly patterns and a Hum emanating from a mountain and esp ...more
melydia
May 23, 2011 melydia rated it liked it
When Kevin skips his first day of high school, he never imagines the sort of impact it will have on his life. He meets a couple of other kids, they eat magic sap, they gain super powers, and all of it is somehow linked to Turquoise Mountain and its mysterious Hum that only certain people can hear. Throw in termites, fire ants, espresso, and a healthy dose of conspiracy theories, and you’ve got yourself one strange little tale. Still, I kind of enjoyed it. It’s certainly unlike anything I’ve ever ...more
Amy
Nov 07, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
I kind of want to review this one but I also can't think of much to say about it, I'm afraid. Essentially this is a lackluster fantasy set more or less in our own world about irritating teens who gain super powers after eating tree sap, a mysterious hum from deep within a mountain that calls to 'Hearers' and a demon queen who isn't actually a demon OR a queen - at least not in the traditional definitions of those words. She's just kind of an evil giant ant woman with a sad childhood.

This was ok
Cheryl M-M
Jan 09, 2013 Cheryl M-M rated it it was ok
This is more of a children's story than YA. The style, writing and plot are written for a younger audience and I do think readers aged 10 plus will enjoy the fantastical plot.
There are no hell spawned demons in it, just the Queen of the Ants with a fear inspiring name. I mention that, because some parents may be cautious about letting their children read paranormal stories with demons/angels in them. Unfortunately the title suggests a different type of story, despite the ant on the cover.
It is g
Fiona Watkins
Having read other books by Baum I was quite keen to read this one. The story kept me interested although it wasn't the best book I've read and I don't think I'll remember much about it once I've read a few more books, but it was enjoyable whilst reading, and really what more can we ask for? The books was well written and believable in a fantasy way until the three kids met up with Lou Sweeney and then not only did the plot get less believable it also moved so quickly that I feel the story lost o ...more
Kim
May 14, 2015 Kim rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
ONE AND A HALF STARS

TRIGGER WARNINGS: bullying, violent content, domestic violence, epithet for movement disability (the 'L' word) used for a disliked thing

Three star novel, one star ending. Giving it two stars would be far too generous. Too much expectation of suspension of disbelief, such that it's not "The real world with (x) changes" but just random exceptions to physics and biology to fill whatever plotholes the author has created or magically perfect (x) the author wants to insert.

Really s
Lindley Walter-smith
Jan 17, 2012 Lindley Walter-smith rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most original and fascinating books I have ever read - and one of the reasons I prefer YA to adult fiction. The generic fantasy name doesn't do it justice. While I've read other books using the particular form of storytelling, it felt fresh and better-used than usual, and the story had mythic proportions that somehow blended well with the B-movie elements. The teenagers are taking characters, and their reasons for not telling what happens to them were better motivated than is ...more
regina dentata
This book was far more interesting than I expected it to be, but it doesn't remain without flaws. The characterisation was very solid, but the teenagers felt older than they were supposed to be. Some of the additional information offered between chapters should have come out naturally within the text, rather than told straight up. Other than that, I found this a surprisingly enjoyable read.

It definitely needs a new title, though.
Chloe
Jan 22, 2012 Chloe rated it really liked it
This is one of those books where I just went to read the first few sentences so I could figure out which genre it was and add it to a collection on my kindle and I was hooked at the first sentence.
The beginning had that fresh, free feeling of being a kid. The characters were fun and unusual -- two kids were kids being homeschooled (how often does that happen in a book?) -- and the plot was strange and unique. The descriptions of everything were really rich.
Stephani
Feb 26, 2012 Stephani rated it really liked it
Personally, I wasnt real impressed. Though the storyline is very unusual and a bit creepy...It was very entertaining and alot of fun to read. Cute characters, good descriptions, and alot of indepth ant stuff. More along the lines for my step son to enjoy, so I am passing it on to him. I did enjoy the book.

Sonia
Jan 25, 2011 Sonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.

The story of 3 teenagers caught up in a battle of good and evil. Magic tree sap, giant ants and termites, an unusual mountain, and a small town with a secret...all of these ingredients brought together to create a tale of mystery, fantasy, and what happens when you believe in the unbelievable...

It was a quick, easy read, highly enjoyable and fun.
Dave
Mar 24, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it
I know the author, so I may be a little biased, but I enjoyed this book. The title is a bit weird, but the story is a great one for middle schoolers and older. A fun tale of some children having a supernatural encounter that launches them on a path that takes them to the Demon Queen. A good yarn, and a quick read.
Stacey
Oct 29, 2009 Stacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
This is a really great read. I was impressed with the characters and the story as a whole. The setting was well thought out and easily imaginable. My only critiques where that the end was a little abrupt and I wish there had been a bit more relationship development between Kevin and his friends. However I am very much looking forward to Mr. Baum's next story.
Nor'dzin Pamo
Jan 02, 2014 Nor'dzin Pamo rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. It is a good story and well-written. Once I started, I couldn't put it down and enjoyed the satisfactory conclusion. I look forward to reading more of Spencer Baum's work.
Stephanie
May 20, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I really liked this adventure story. The writing is good, and the story is interesting. Ordinary teens get extraordinary powers and become involved in a battle of good vs. evil. If I tell you that there are giant ants and termites, will you still try it? :) It's good!
Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫
This was an interesting story about good versus evil. You have Kevin that thru a series of events meets some new friends and is lead on the journey of a lifetime. The teens recieve some special powers and must stop the Demon Queen from distroying thier town.
Brandon Casselman
Aug 31, 2010 Brandon Casselman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A good read. A little confusing at first, especially when reading it without reading a summary, but everything gets explained as well as it can be.
Cathy
Jun 08, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Strange tale of a woman who becomes queen of the fire ants. Her opponents are 3 teenagers and some older people who have been hunted by the queen.
Dveith
Jan 26, 2011 Dveith rated it it was ok
a free download and interesting - just a little too out there for me.
Spencer Baum
May 10, 2010 Spencer Baum added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I've recommended this book a few times. 8^)
Elisabeth
Jan 17, 2011 Elisabeth rated it did not like it
I would swear that a ten year old wrote this book.
Ryan
Aug 16, 2010 Ryan rated it it was ok
Some interesting ideas, but it didn't really expand on any of them enough to really hold my interest.
Mornelas
Mornelas rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Sky
Sky rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2011
Tommy
Tommy rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Virginia
Virginia rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Freak City
  • Mortal Ghost
  • Xenolith
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • I Witch
  • The Silver Ring
  • Valle (Heku #2)
  • An Unwanted Hunger (V'KAR, #1)
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Into the Abyss (Rogue Hunter: Gaia #1)
  • Gemini Moon
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • Balance of Fate (Delver Magic, #3)
  • Children of Another God
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • A Turn of Curses