Start by marking “The Standoff” as Want to Read:
The Standoff

The Standoff

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A white supremacist, barricaded with his family on an isolated Montana mountaintop, holding off the cops with assault rifles.

A brilliant hostage negotiator who has failed to come to terms with his personal demons, reluctantly taking leadership of the one case he can't afford to lose.

A virtual army of state and local cops, national guardsmen, U.S. Marshals, and the FBI's el
Published (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Standoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Standoff

Mark R.
****1/2

Chuck Hogan's first novel, "The Standoff," is a tense, exciting story in which a battered old FBI hostage negotiator faces off against a white supremacist who refuses to vacate his home. The man flaked out on a court date, and the sheriff of a small northwest town is sent to serve notice. He'd met by gunshots, and so begins the standoff.

This book thrilled me as a kid, and I'm happy to find it hasn't lost any of its power over the years. The dialogue is good, the characters intriguing, and
Tim Warner
I couldn't put the book down, I read it in two days. This is an excellent book which kept my constant attention.

I was completely sympathetic to the main character, Special Agent Banish. The plot gripped me. But more than these and other outstanding technical values, I felt all along that I was respected as a reader by an author who is so darned good that it is difficult to believe that this is a first effort by the author.

I am raving about Chuck Hogan because I detect that he loves the challenge
Michael
"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." Murphy's Law.

This seems to be the motto of the Border County Sheriff's Department and Sheriff Leonard M. Blood. Blood is ordered to serve a notice of eviction on Glenn Allen Ables for tax evasion. Blood, an American Indian, realizes that there could be danger so asks for the help of two deputies. Ables happens to be an anti government white supremacist/survivalist. When Blood attempts to serve the papers, one of his deputies is shot and wounded, anoth
Joanne Parkington
I liked this .. it was a good read .. not great & no way near as good as subsequent Chuck Hogan novel's but an interesting read none the less. Sometime's it's like trying to eat when your mouth's too full .. there's alot going on & not all of it needed .. There are also lot's of story line's that taper off to nothing like who is killing the local Indian's ?? There's alot of presumption to most of these story line's which isn't too bad a thing ... it just feel's so crammed.
John Mccormick
A gripping terrific read, about a damaged FBI hostage negotiator who finds himself transported to remote hilltop to take charge of the standoff of the title. As his confidence slowly returns and he takes charge of the situation so the tension increases.
The characters are well drawn and the book gives real insight about what goes on during an hostage situation
R
This isn't the kind of book that I usually read, but I wanted to read more by Chuck Hogan because I really liked his contribution to the Strain. It's a cop/fbi story and it's written well. The characters are strong and you never really side with any one person. They are all interesting. Again, I'm not really interested in this type of book, but it was a good read.
Robert Landis
The book is a gritty depiction of a FBI standoff in the backwoods. The discomfort, cold, fear, frustration felt by the negotiator and various teams of support is palpable. You can feel the itch of not having shower for days, being hungry, feeling the rain on you.

You will not likely forget the rich characters, there backgrounds, strengths and weaknesses.

My only criticism by the time you are 2/3 through the book you know the outcome for thee primary character, the FBI negotiator.

Simpet Soge
Buku ini entah saya dapat dari mana, menceritakan tentang Si Agen Banish yang dipercayakan menangani pengepungan seorang penjahat yang justru menyandera keluarganya sendiri. Saat-saat pengepungan sungguh menegangkan, bagaimana si pengepung bernegosiasi dengan si penjahat. Pengepungan sendiri berjalan sukses, meski si Agen sendiri akhirnya terbunuh.
Nate Hendrix
This was an axcellent book. The same author wrote The Town, it was recently a movie about guys that rob banks and armored cars in boston. That was also an excellent book. The Standoff is completely different. I will be reading everything this guy has written.
Jason
SA Banish is sent to handle a standoff but he had been pretty much off duty for three years. It was never really clear to me why he was sent in the first place. It is a good book, and I am looking forward to other books by him.
Vince Carter
Excellent suspense from many perspectives dealing with attempt to arrest a ideologue that spirals into an armed confrontation and chaos--like too many real life incidents--but giving a sense of the drama that exists in every one.
Robert Grant
This one started off great and then began to bog down in the middle. It picked up and reached a satisfying conclusion and overall, I liked this one. I think it would make a good movie.
Rebekkila
Nov 30, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mark
Came with a moneyback guarantee which I thought odd for a book, but it had plenty to back up the expectation.
Ann
Very slow-moving for 2/3 of the book, but it got better for the final scene and resolution.
Anthony
An excellent review of the Ruby Ridge debacle which caused the ruin of several ranking FBI agents.
Ben
Awesome first novel, by the man that brought us Prince of Thieves (The Town as a movie)
Bcoghill Coghill
nice action fast-paced drama. Very macho without being totally absurd.
Sean Rodman
Not as strong as The Town, although some solid writing at the very climax.
Taylor Motte
Chuck Hogan does not believe in happy endings. Of this I am sure.
Joe O'c
Good; FBI hostage negotiator vs. mountain family
Charles
Got bored in the first three chapters ... couldn't finish.
Barbara
Slow reading at first, better about halfway through
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon
  • Mind Catcher
  • One More Sunday
  • Prisoner of the Horned Helmet (Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer, #1)
  • John Le Carré : Three Complete Novels -- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy / The Honourable Schoolboy / Smiley's People
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
  • Mass Murders (Trese, #3)
  • Boynton's Greatest Hits: Volume 1/Blue Hat, Green Hat; A to Z; Moo, Baa, La La La!; Doggies
  • Bellarion
  • Eight Silly Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
  • Let's All Kill Constance
  • Slow Horses
202311
Chuck Hogan is an American author. His story "Two Thousand Volts" appeared in The Best American Mystery Stories 2009. He is the co-author of The Strain Trilogy with Guillermo del Toro. His 2004 novel Prince of Thieves was adapted to film as the Ben Affleck directed The Town in 2010.
More about Chuck Hogan...
Prince of Thieves Devils in Exile The Killing Moon The Blood Artists The Night Eternal (The Strain Trilogy, #3)