Start by marking “Pegasus” as Want to Read:
Pegasus

Pegasus

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  275 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Condemned by a jealous king, Bellerophon must win the trust of the legendary winged horse Pegasus or face certain death. From the poignant meeting the growing bond of friendship between horse and man to the dramatic slaying of the fearsome fire-breathing Chimera, this is an unforgettable adventure that will stir the imagination of young and old alike. Featuring glorious pa ...more
Published April 24th 1998 by HarperCollins

Ann
Nov 19, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Who hasn't? Katie, Chandra....
What a beautiful book!

I am very pleased to have this be my first introduction to the story of Pegasus and Bellerophon. I have no idea how accurate this retelling is, but I completely enjoyed it!

It was quite refreshing to finally meet a hero that I could stand behind pretty much 100%! Bellerophon is brave, fair, handsome, and learns the importance of trust. What's more, he befriends Pegasus! (what could be better!?)

This said, not all the characters are as "perfect" as Bellerophon, but I'm not sur
Dolly
Aug 26, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have been exploring various Greek mythology stories for the last two years, and our oldest is especially excited every time we find a new mythology book. Our youngest hasn't liked the stories quite as much, but is game to listen in during storytime and I know that she really likes Artemis.

When I saw this book in our library's card catalog, I was thrilled. It's a greek myth we'd not yet explored and it features the winged horse. Our youngest absolutely loves horses, pegasus and unicorns, so I
Melissa Coyle
A fantastic fantasy told for children also with beautiful illustrations by K. Y. Craft. The majestic Pegasus and the hero Bellerophon fight the awful Chimera. Who will win? I wish I would have known of this book for my oldest son who loved mythology when he was young.
Canadian Reader
Feb 24, 2014 Canadian Reader rated it liked it
A lovely picture book to look at up close, but less good as a read-aloud for a large group--the pictures are far too intricate and many of them are very darkly coloured. The telling falls a little flat. Belleraphon, the hero who engages the winged horse to help him battle the chimera, is not sufficiently developed. The author makes efforts to underline the respect between this hero and the winged horse, but the relationship between the two is never fully affecting. I wanted to like the book. My ...more
Marsha
Simply and elegantly written, this classic Greek myth tells the tale of the heroic Bellerophon who was duped into delivering a message bearing his own death warrant and how he found help through the aid of a mystical horse called Pegasus.

What gives this story its unique slant is that the hero doesn't conquer the beast. Instead they form a bond of mutual trust and friendship and it is this bond that allows them to defeat the menacing Chimera.

The pictures are also breathtakingly lovely, Pegasus s
Ebookwormy
Captivating illustrations and an adventure featuring a hero's (Bellerophon's) triumph over a dragon (Chimera) are sure to make this book of interest to boys. The writing, in my humble opinion, was good, but not great, though it did hold the attention of my students.

Those familiar with the Illiad's telling of the story will realize Bellerophon's story has been sanitized for children. Perhaps that is necessary considering a key to Bellerophon's struggle is that he has refused a woman who sought to
Lari
Feb 15, 2014 Lari rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This would be a good book to use doing a mythology unit. Having an individual tale in a picture book format like this makes it a little more accessible than some of the larger collections of mythology, which can be a little overwhelming. I think it's a great book for boys who are into battle. The illustrations would be good for an art lesson on classical or romantic styles.
Maddie
This book is a great introduction to Ancient Greek mythology. The art is absolutely superb. I would use it for an older group of children however because the art can be dark in places, but still appropriate.
Robin Gassen
Sep 22, 2014 Robin Gassen rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! The illustrations are master pieces! I could read this book several times! It definitely takes someone older to appreciate the master piece of this book!
Jarin Schiavolin
Jun 17, 2015 Jarin Schiavolin rated it really liked it
I thought the prose was clear and not insulting like so many children's books. A solid retelling, nice illustrations.
Arnav
Jan 20, 2016 Arnav added it
Very interesting story. I love Greek myths!
Jean-Marie
Beautiful illustrations.
Pamela
Jun 03, 2013 Pamela rated it really liked it
A high rating mostly for K.Y. Craft's amazing illustrations. Of particular note is the full spread of the chimera attacking the surrounding countryside--it's absolutely breathtaking. The retold myth itself is fine, but I was a bit disappointed that the ending was a happy one--which is not in the original myth. The original talks more about hubris and thinking more of oneself than one ought to think (which I don't think is above kids' comprehension level).
Miriam
May 08, 2011 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, mythology
The illustrations by Craft are pretty, and there are plenty of them, but they are not my favorites of hers. And the text, although adequate, seemed a little stilted. It wasn't a great or particularly authentic retelling of the Bellerophon myth. I felt like Mayer was trying to make the story fit a later mold of fairy tale (face challenges, win princess, live happily ever after).
Benjamin Elliott
May 03, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
A straightforward retelling of the Pegasus story. Beautiful illustrations, but no added flair or stylization to make it stand out.
Peacegal
Jun 08, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was ok
As a youngster, I thought horses were the best creatures ever to roam the earth and unicorns and Pegasus were even more fantastic mega-awesome versions of horses. However, the actual myth of Pegasus is pretty dull. It’s a retelling of the old knight-versus-monster story we’ve heard a million times before.
Skylar Burris
Jan 28, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, mythology
My daughter is currently obsessed with pegasuses, but at least this gives me an opportunity to introduce her to Greek mythology. This book has beautiful illustrations, but the storytelling left something to be desired. It didn't "flow" easily as a read aloud.
Krisette Spangler
Jan 24, 2010 Krisette Spangler rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Hank and I read this one tonight, and we really enjoyed it. It's the story of Bellerophon and Pegasus, and their quest to kill the dreaded Chimera. The illustrations are beautiful.
Lynne
Mar 05, 2011 Lynne rated it liked it
The story line for this book was less about Pegasus and more about the Greek hero who rides him. I was fine but brief. THe artwork on the other had was absolutely beautiful. 3*
Sara
Dec 01, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
As another reviewer wrote: "simply and elegantly" written. The artwork is stunning and the story is rich and straight forward. A true children's classic.
Kara
May 22, 2013 Kara rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations! My boys (9,7,5) pored over the pictures and enjoyed the retelling of the myth.
Kirk Morrison
Jan 14, 2012 Kirk Morrison rated it liked it
Folks of all ages will join this enduring myth in this version with beautiful artwork.
Deanna
Jan 30, 2009 Deanna rated it liked it
The story of Pegasus and Bellerophon. We really liked the illustrations.
Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire
Absoultely beautiful pictures. They look like paintings.
Magda
Aug 18, 2011 Magda rated it liked it
I'll go along with Miriam's review.
Libby Shepherd
Libby Shepherd rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Sara Mackay
Sara Mackay rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
  • Persephone
  • The Lady and the Lion
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Tale of the Firebird
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Trade Bind-up)
  • The Kitchen Knight: A Tale of King Arthur
  • The Crane Wife
  • Marguerite Makes a Book
  • The Serpent Slayer: and Other Stories of Strong Women
  • Cleopatra
  • Gilgamesh the Hero
  • The Snow Princess
  • Roman Diary: The Journal of Iliona of Mytilini: Captured and Sold as a Slave in Rome - AD 107
  • My Pony
Marianna Mayer lives in Roxbury, Connecticut.
"I see folktales and myths as humankind's first stories," says Marianna Mayer. "They are a kind of collective dreaming, filled with timeless symbols and images we can all relate to, regardless of age or culture. And, much as an oyster must be disturbed by a grain of sand in order for the pearl to be created, I often choose to retell stories in which I
More about Marianna Mayer...