Start by marking “Pegasus” as Want to Read:
Pegasus

Pegasus

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Condemned by a jealous king, Bellerophon must win the trust of the legendary winged horse Pegasus or face certain death. From the poignant meeting the growing bond of friendship between horse and man to the dramatic slaying of the fearsome fire-breathing Chimera, this is an unforgettable adventure that will stir the imagination of young and old alike. Featuring glorious pa...more
Published April 24th 1998 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Pegasus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pegasus

Ann
Nov 19, 2009 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Who hasn't? Katie, Chandra....
What a beautiful book!

I am very pleased to have this be my first introduction to the story of Pegasus and Bellerophon. I have no idea how accurate this retelling is, but I completely enjoyed it!

It was quite refreshing to finally meet a hero that I could stand behind pretty much 100%! Bellerophon is brave, fair, handsome, and learns the importance of trust. What's more, he befriends Pegasus! (what could be better!?)

This said, not all the characters are as "perfect" as Bellerophon, but I'm not sur...more
Dolly
Aug 26, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have been exploring various Greek mythology stories for the last two years, and our oldest is especially excited every time we find a new mythology book. Our youngest hasn't liked the stories quite as much, but is game to listen in during storytime and I know that she really likes Artemis.

When I saw this book in our library's card catalog, I was thrilled. It's a greek myth we'd not yet explored and it features the winged horse. Our youngest absolutely loves horses, pegasus and unicorns, so I...more
Jeannette
The legend of Pegasus and Bellerophon told in a simple and pleasing manner. The real winner here are the illustrations. K. Y. Craft's drawing are lush and beautiful.
Canadian Reader
A lovely picture book to look at up close, but less good as a read-aloud for a large group--the pictures are far too intricate and many of them are very darkly coloured. The telling falls a little flat. Belleraphon, the hero who engages the winged horse to help him battle the chimera, is not sufficiently developed. The author makes efforts to underline the respect between this hero and the winged horse, but the relationship between the two is never fully affecting. I wanted to like the book. My...more
Marsha
Simply and elegantly written, this classic Greek myth tells the tale of the heroic Bellerophon who was duped into delivering a message bearing his own death warrant and how he found help through the aid of a mystical horse called Pegasus.

What gives this story its unique slant is that the hero doesn't conquer the beast. Instead they form a bond of mutual trust and friendship and it is this bond that allows them to defeat the menacing Chimera.

The pictures are also breathtakingly lovely, Pegasus s...more
Ebookwormy
Captivating illustrations and an adventure featuring a hero's (Bellerophon's) triumph over a dragon (Chimera) are sure to make this book of interest to boys. The writing, in my humble opinion, was good, but not great, though it did hold the attention of my students.

Those familiar with the Illiad's telling of the story will realize Bellerophon's story has been sanitized for children. Perhaps that is necessary considering a key to Bellerophon's struggle is that he has refused a woman who sought to...more
Lari
This would be a good book to use doing a mythology unit. Having an individual tale in a picture book format like this makes it a little more accessible than some of the larger collections of mythology, which can be a little overwhelming. I think it's a great book for boys who are into battle. The illustrations would be good for an art lesson on classical or romantic styles.
Maddie
This book is a great introduction to Ancient Greek mythology. The art is absolutely superb. I would use it for an older group of children however because the art can be dark in places, but still appropriate.
Robin Gassen
This book is amazing! The illustrations are master pieces! I could read this book several times! It definitely takes someone older to appreciate the master piece of this book!
Pamela
A high rating mostly for K.Y. Craft's amazing illustrations. Of particular note is the full spread of the chimera attacking the surrounding countryside--it's absolutely breathtaking. The retold myth itself is fine, but I was a bit disappointed that the ending was a happy one--which is not in the original myth. The original talks more about hubris and thinking more of oneself than one ought to think (which I don't think is above kids' comprehension level).
Sara
As another reviewer wrote: "simply and elegantly" written. The artwork is stunning and the story is rich and straight forward. A true children's classic.
Miriam
The illustrations by Craft are pretty, and there are plenty of them, but they are not my favorites of hers. And the text, although adequate, seemed a little stilted. It wasn't a great or particularly authentic retelling of the Bellerophon myth. I felt like Mayer was trying to make the story fit a later mold of fairy tale (face challenges, win princess, live happily ever after).
Peacegal
As a youngster, I thought horses were the best creatures ever to roam the earth and unicorns and Pegasus were even more fantastic mega-awesome versions of horses. However, the actual myth of Pegasus is pretty dull. It’s a retelling of the old knight-versus-monster story we’ve heard a million times before.
Skylar Burris
My daughter is currently obsessed with pegasuses, but at least this gives me an opportunity to introduce her to Greek mythology. This book has beautiful illustrations, but the storytelling left something to be desired. It didn't "flow" easily as a read aloud.
Krisette Spangler
Hank and I read this one tonight, and we really enjoyed it. It's the story of Bellerophon and Pegasus, and their quest to kill the dreaded Chimera. The illustrations are beautiful.
Lynne
The story line for this book was less about Pegasus and more about the Greek hero who rides him. I was fine but brief. THe artwork on the other had was absolutely beautiful. 3*
Kara
Beautiful illustrations! My boys (9,7,5) pored over the pictures and enjoyed the retelling of the myth.
Kirk Morrison
Folks of all ages will join this enduring myth in this version with beautiful artwork.
Deanna
The story of Pegasus and Bellerophon. We really liked the illustrations.
Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire
Absoultely beautiful pictures. They look like paintings.
Magda
I'll go along with Miriam's review.
Marc Kohlman
Marc Kohlman marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
  • Cupid and Psyche
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Lady and the Lion
  • Persephone
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • Leonardo's Horse
  • The Reluctant Dragon
Marianna Mayer lives in Roxbury, Connecticut.
"I see folktales and myths as humankind's first stories," says Marianna Mayer. "They are a kind of collective dreaming, filled with timeless symbols and images we can all relate to, regardless of age or culture. And, much as an oyster must be disturbed by a grain of sand in order for the pearl to be created, I often choose to retell stories in which I...more
More about Marianna Mayer...
Beauty and the Beast The Twelve Dancing Princesses Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave The Unicorn and the Lake Ivanhoe