Start by marking “Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older” as Want to Read:
Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older

Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Although the garden may beckon as strongly as ever, the tasks involved pulling weeds, pushing wheelbarrows, digging holes, moving heavy pots become increasingly difficult, or even impossible, with advancing age. But the idea of giving it up is unthinkable for most gardeners. So what s the alternative?
In "Gardening for a Lifetime," Sydney Eddison draws on her own forty yea
Published April 21st 2010 by Timber Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gardening for a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardening for a Lifetime

Ginny Messina
Nov 12, 2010 Ginny Messina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The (non-grammatical) subtitle of this book is “How to Garden Wiser as you Grow Older,” but it is actually a great book for anyone who simply doesn’t have time to keep up with the garden they have created. Sydney Eddison says “It took a great deal of time and energy to make the garden as hard to manage as it ultimately became…” I know the feeling very well. This is a delightful book—very chatty and fun to read and filled with really good advice. No photos—just some nice black and white drawings ...more
The Bookloft
Bookseller: Debbie

What a lovely, charming book this is. Partly memoir, partly rumination, partly an action plan for the future. Sydney Eddison's latest volume is sure to please both the armchair gardener and the vigorous participant. If you're overwhelmed by your garden - whether constrained by time, money, or physical ability - Mrs. Eddison provides all kinds of ideas for reducing your load. And she does it in an exciting way - optimistic that change brings new ways of seeing and enjoying. Unda
Kathy
Aug 01, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book and timely! My gardening takes longer every year. Need to garden smarter. Enjoyably written and excellent advice.
Renata Shura
Jan 28, 2015 Renata Shura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I embark on a new gardening journey, this book helped me to prioritize and gave many ideas and insights!
Sharon
Apr 07, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I'm moving to downsize my life, including a rather sizable garden, this was very helpful in helping me plan the next garden to be more manageable as I get older.
Candy
Jan 14, 2015 Candy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: house-and-yard
This is an amazing book. It's almost like I went in the front of the book one person and came out at the end as someone else.
I read slow and did a lot of thinking about gardening as I went along. When I started the book I was thinking, "Now, why is there no color in the illustrations. Why didn't she take before and after pictures? This seems to just be a rambling account with no point."
Somewhere, part way into the book I got the answers to these questions, and more. I DO feel WISER, just like t
Debra
Oct 01, 2015 Debra rated it did not like it
No helpful "how-to's" just a memoir, really.
Mlg
Feb 18, 2012 Mlg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
This book explores the challenges of gardening as the gardener ages.
It offers practical advice for more low maintenance gardens and discusses hiring help, switching to shrubs rather than perennials, and gives some advice on low care plants. Choosing whether to leave or stay in a garden that has taken a good part of one's life to create is the hardest decision. I was pleased that in the end, this award winning gardener chose to stay and give up her quest for perfection.
Lisa
It has occurred to me that I am no longer as limber and capable of bending over for hours, so I may need to simplify my gardens.
This book gives an overall approach to simplifying the garden, such as substituting shrubs for perennials, making lists of tasks, letting part of your lawn become a meadow, etc.
The author also makes specific suggestions about types of plants/bushes that are easy care.
The book is interesting and has given me some things to think about!
Theresa
Good advice based on personal experience. A very pleasant, encouraging read.
Dena
May 16, 2011 Dena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dena by: Garden Rant Blog
Shelves: gardening
A practical book for older gardeners who want to continue gardening but have physical limitations. Doesn't have the useful photographs of her earlier book The Self-taught Gardener. But she has line drawings to show changes she's made to her garden to allow her to keep gardening as she ages. She also includes the stories of 2 other gardeners who adjusted their gardens in other ways. Her garden is still way beyond what I could take care of even reduced and adapted.
Jean
Sep 18, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I are retired and we have a huge garden. I think Ms. Eddison has some very good ideas about how to cut the work in the garden, which allows older folk to stay with their home and garden longer than one might anticipate. She has an excellent writing style and lists the highlights at the end of each chapter - just in case you are so busy in the garden right now, you don't have time for every word of the book. Well worth the read!
Virginia
Jan 28, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The four stars are as much for Sydney Eddison as for her book, which tends to be a bit repetitive. I admire her writing style and her gardening friends. I also admire her spunk, in facing old age and refusing to give up her addiction to gardening. I can relate. For those in this subset, this is a book to deeply enjoy.
Schmidleysscribblins.wordpress.com
Not a book for a beginner. Rather a book for a seasoned gardener in need of hired help. The ending of a gardening career looms large in this at times nostalgic look back at her magnificent perennial gardens of yesterday. Much practical advice for a garden as well as a gardener aging in place.
Penney Kolb
Apr 28, 2013 Penney Kolb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific book! The writer, a longtime gardener and writer, gives such good ideas for taming an out-of-control (in terms of care) garden. She clearly shows how to change gardening habits to allow for the aging and/or health of the gardener. I learned a lot and am quite appreciative.
Mary
Aug 20, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
I liked the author's voice; it was very easy to read. Also liked the "gleanings" at the end of each chapter. Although her Connecticut climate is different than mine, I got some ideas and inspiration for our garden. The title is as shown on the bookjacket, Gardening for a Lifetime.
Bonny
Jun 24, 2011 Bonny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been thinking along these lines alot lately, my garden turning into an unmanageable jungle and all. The author brought up some gardening tactics I had never thought about that will help me to plan differently in the future, and maybe actually enjoy gardening again.
Cristiana
Apr 24, 2011 Cristiana rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening, wishlist
There is a good bit of information for a gardener with less physical capabilities.
My only problem was that it assumes you have been gardening for awhile. It's just not what I am looking for at the moment, although I'm sure I'll come back to it at a future date.
Aafejes
i enjoyed the gentle way in which she shared both her own and other gardening friends experiences during the progression of their lives and their gardens. read slowly and savor her recollections. keep it for ideas.
Anita
Nov 01, 2010 Anita rated it it was amazing
I learned quite a bit from this book. It definitely has shaped my thought process for next year. I appreciated hearing her view point on a number of topics. This will definitely be a re-read.
Anne Hosking
Dec 21, 2014 Anne Hosking rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an inspiring writer - her love and knowledge of plants , gardening styles and wilderness areas permeates this book . I'll be watching out for this and other titles at book sales !
Nancy
Jan 28, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I thought it would be, more looking back than forward but did like her comment : "And if gardening doesn't make you a better person, at least it reveals the best that is in you."
Kate Caruso
Sep 10, 2013 Kate Caruso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Sydney Eddison's writing is at once transcendent and accessible. Her joy of gardening pours from every page. I wish I was her neighbor!
Karen
Interesting anecdotes and plant information. No help at all for normal gardeners-- focuses on huge, multiple-acre gardens and how to simplify their management.
Peg Dryden
Sep 06, 2010 Peg Dryden rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone of a "certain" age who loves to garden
Recommended to Peg by: Mary Van Vorst
Shelves: non-fiction, garden
She suggests substituting shrubs for perennials - great idea, reduce the work load. I am thinking about adding a smoke bush just for that reason.
Jenny
Dec 24, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essays and advice on how to change a garden or gardening strategy to adapt to the changing circumstances of older gardeners.
William
Dec 10, 2010 William rated it liked it
This is a book about working smarter.

Or how to get the most enjoyment out of your garden with the least amount of stress.
Don
Light reading. Glad it read it, gave me some food for thought about the future of my own garden now that I'm retired.
Terry
Aug 26, 2010 Terry rated it liked it
so far so good. another one of those accepting the changes in life and most importantly in the garden :)
Mary
Feb 24, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book for gardeners of every age- how to control your yard/garden
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Celebration, U.S.A.: Living in Disney's Brave New Town
  • The Curious Gardener: A Gardening Year
  • A Type Primer
  • Sunflower Houses: Inspiration From the Garden--A Book for Children and Their Grown-Ups
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden
  • Museum: Behind the Scenes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Christmas in Plains: Memories
  • The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting & Pruning Techniques
  • Our Life in Gardens
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Flat Belly Diet! Pocket Guide: Featuring Your ULTIMATE 28-Day Eating Plan for Lasting Weight Loss
  • Two Gardeners: A Friendship in Letters
  • The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas
  • Old Herbaceous: A Novel of the Garden
  • Founding Gardeners: The Revolutionary Generation, Nature, and the Shaping of the American Nation
  • Waking Up in Eden: In Pursuit of an Impassioned Life on an Imperiled Island