Start by marking “Family Wanted: Stories of Adoption” as Want to Read:
Family Wanted: Stories of Adoption

Family Wanted: Stories of Adoption

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Personal essays by Meg Bortin • Sarah Cameron • Dan Chaon • Dominic Collier • Bernard Cornwell • Robert Dessaix • Matthew Engel • Paula Fox • A. M. Homes • Tama Janowitz • Lynn Lauber • Carol Lefevre • Daniel Menaker • Priscilla T. Nagle • Sandra Newman • Mirabel Osler • Emily Prager • Jonathan Rendall • Martin Rowson • Abigail Rubin • Lise Saffran • Lindsay Sagnette • Han ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Random House Trade Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Family Wanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Wanted

Meg Bortin
This is a collection of personal essays on adoption and -- full disclosure -- I am one of the authors. But that's not why I'm recommending the book. Also included are Tama Janowitz, Jeanette Winterson, Daniel Menaker, A.M. Homes, Matthew Engel, Bernard Cornwell and other great writers, each of whom has a poignant story to tell. The essays are arranged in three sections -- by writers who were adopted, who gave up a child for adoption, and who became adoptive parents. Some of the stories are almos ...more
Lisa
A collection of many short stories, this book describes the experiences of adopted children, birth parents, and adoptive parents.

I loved the section about adoptive parents, though perhaps that's because I'm an adoptive parent myself. The section of stories about birth parents was OK. It certainly helped me better understand the perspectives of birth parents and their heartache, but I've read other books that do a better job achieving that goal than this one.

The thing I really disliked about the
Dayna
I liked this collection. While not all of the stories are great (I didn't like the style of some of them, and one wasn't well-written), they all seemed honest. Heartfelt. I cried through some of them and I laughed a few times too.
Lisa
I hesitated to give it five stars only because some of the stories were so very negative. However, it was still good to hear those and learn from them, and there were some that were amazing to read too... so five stars.
Karin
I've read this previously and just picked it up again. I love the voices and different viewpoints.
Alina
This is a painful but important book for adoptive families to read.
Casey
It was a fine book, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Carol Slater
Carol Slater marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
MAFO Read
MAFO Read marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Ka
Ka marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Annmarie Vanheusden
Annmarie Vanheusden marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Melissa Mcfadden
Melissa Mcfadden marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Vera Filipe
Vera Filipe marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Amy Zian
Amy Zian marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Leisa
Leisa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012