Start by marking “A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)” as Want to Read:
A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)

A Savage Place (Spenser #8)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  3,847 ratings  ·  108 reviews
TV reporter Candy Sloan has eyes the color of cornflowers and legs that stretch all the way to heaven. She also has somebody threatening to rearrange her lovely face if she keeps on snooping into charges of Hollywood racketeering.

Spenser's job is to keep Candy healthy until she breaks the biggest story of her career. But her star witness has just bowed out with three bulle
Published October 3rd 1992 by Dell (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about A Savage Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Savage Place

The Hotel New Hampshire by John IrvingCujo by Stephen KingGorky Park by Martin Cruz SmithRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisChronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
Best Books of 1981
22nd out of 93 books — 77 voters
Road to Megara by Cynthia WillerthReaper Two-Six Year 5 by Robert GrandHourglass by Claudia GrayAt Bertram's Hotel by Agatha ChristieA Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie
Books to Read in the Fall.....
22nd out of 45 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Kemper

As those young kids on The Internets would say: Spenser FAIL!

One of my complaints about the later Spenser books was that he stopped making mistakes somewhere along the line. Errors in judgment made him much more interesting, especially in how he dealt with the aftermath of life-and-death decisions that went sour on him. Re-reading the earlier books, I’ve been reminded how often Spenser screwed up, and in this one, he fucks up catastrophically on a couple of levels, professionally and personally.
Jane Stewart
Weak 3 stars. Not as interesting as others in the series. Not as much humor.

Spenser is hired as bodyguard for Candy, a TV news reporter. Some readers will not like Candy because she uses sex to get ahead. That didn’t bother me, it’s a character type. But the author using stupidity to move the plot does bother me. Candy did two stupid things I did not like. And the ending was not as good as I’d like.

Something else bothered me. Spenser and Susan are in a committed long term relationship. So why do
David
This has got to be the worst private eye novel ever written.

Spenser is even more arrogant and conceited than ever. He tells the girl that nobody can kill him... Really?

Parker pretends to know L.A. I thought he messed up a bit by mentioning Marineland. My recollection was that Marineland had already gone bankrupt and been closed for several years in 1981, but apparently that was not the case, apparently they lasted until 1987. Parker describes some L.A. places like he visited once or twice, eve
joyce lynn
ok, was well written, and kept me hanging on, like his other books. i have 2 complaints, tho. #1, i do NOT like how he take "charge" or guardianship over a 15 year old boy in the previous book, and then we do not hear about him again. so, is he ignorning the boy just like the boy's own parents do/did? #2, the main character's whole logic on what is and is not cheating, or is ok cheating, is total B.S. cheating is cheating, end of discussion, and NONE of it is NOT ok!!!
Jim C
This book is part of the Spenser series. It can be read as a stand alone novel. In this one, Spenser heads out to LA to be a bodyguard for a female reporter who is looking at the movie industry and racketeering.

I am reading these books in order and so far this is the one I liked the least. To me, it didn't have the Spenser hallmarks like the previous novels. Spenser's witty banter was only touched upon and I believe this was the case because the author moved the setting from Boston. The characte
Steve
Great as usual, but not my favorite Spenser novel. He has a little problem in this one (I won't mention what the problem is). No Hawk or Susan, so not the usual funny dialogue in this one. Still a great read though!
Eric
Spenser rules. R.B.Parker's books offer such satisfaction on a very simple and profound level. Devoid of baggage, quick of wit, supremely comfortable in his profession & in his skin, seemingly impervious to nervousness, squeamishness, intimidation, or any of the other ills of our "civilized" society, the Boston private eye is in many ways the perfect protagonist. Plug him into any situation, and he will distill it down to its most basic elements & do what needs doing with a minimum of em ...more
Joy
This was probably my least favorite book of the Spenser
series. He was on location in Hollywood to protect a TV
reporter investigating corruption and racketeering in the
movie industry. I didn't like the reporter, Candy Sloan,
but thought Spenser liked her too much.
A classic Spenser line was "I'm a romantic. Agreements are
useless with romantics."
There was a good description of Los Angeles: "But L.A. was
like nothing I'd ever seen. I didn't know any place like it for sprall, for the apparently idosy
Kellie
(# 8 of the Spenser series)-I did not like this one at all. It may be a pivotal book in the series but it did not impress me like some of the others. Spenser goes out to California to protect Candy, a news reporter. There is a scam going on (possibly involving the mob) that she has uncovered and she is trying to get more information so she can expose it thru the press. So there are guys after her. They kill her friend who is the only witness. Anyway, Spenser sleeps with her which pisses me off b ...more
Pat
Good, not always a happy ending.
Jerry
We’re gradually reading off Parker’s 39-book Spenser series – “Savage” (#8) is our 11th tale. Atypically, all the action takes place in LA, where Spenser has apparently been before enough to know much of the environs. He’s there to bodyguard an attractive and ambitious investigative TV news reporter, Candy Sloan, who has sniffed out some sort of scam on a movie set; and the pursuit of the matter is getting dangerous. Spenser isn’t even on the job when she gets “warned off” with a mugging, and th ...more
Lee
Mar 15, 2013 Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: spenser
Spenser heads out to La-La land of L.A. & Hollywood, to help look after a TV news anchor. With the different scenery on the west coast, Parkers descriptions of dress styles of the early 80's are priceless. Even without Hawke in this case, there was even some body count. Spenser, with his witty remarks, that usually make matters worse, never get too old for me.
Joyce
A very old Spenser that I had somehow missed. It was set in Los Angeles with Spenser 'protecting' a female TV Reporter investigating a big story from some bad doers. Spenser even in Los Angeles stays Spenser, but his cohorts are not around and he is a bit more macho that in later works. All in all, it was a nice discovery for me and fun reading.
Steve
Spenser travels to L.A. to protect a news personality bumping up against the Mob. I have always enjoyed the way Parker describes Boston -- he does the same great job with the City of Angels. Another essential Spenser read.
Robert
I'm an ardent fan of Robert B Parker's Spenser series and even a moderate fan of the rest of his oeuvre. And (view spoiler) ...more
Sue Robinson
Not one of my favourites. No Hawk and no Susan.
Shirley Worley
By way of a referral from a former client, Boston P.I. Spenser travels to Hollywood to meet with Candy Sloan, a TV journalist in need of protection. She is hot on the trail of the biggest story of her career - corruption and racketeering that leads to the prominent heads of Hollywood studios. When her only witness is murdered, she herself beaten as a warning, and she is officially taken off the story, Candy forges ahead with the help of Spenser. It is a deadly game and she plays with the only th ...more
Cathy DuPont
Dec 16, 2011 Cathy DuPont rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parker (or Spenser) followers
Ok, I'm spoiled.

After the likes of The Judas Goat and The Promised Land, I want more of the same caliber from Spenser, from Parker.

A Savage Place takes place not in Boston (I can handle that) but in LA, not really outside Spenser's comfort zone. But I miss Hawk, a lot, since he adds levity to Spenser. I miss Susan, too, since I adore her give and take with Spenser. All my selfish personal likes, just as I said above, I'm spoiled.

It was good, better than good, with surprises throughout.

I just
Christine
This is set in LA. Spenser is the private eye for Candy, a tv reporter. They have a liaison despite Spenser's ongoing relationship with Susan back in Boston. This shocked me given Spenser's feminist inclinations but after debriefing with my Dad I learned this affair comes back to haunt Spenser in later novels. Candy, trying to prove that she's more than just a broad hired to pretty up the airwaves, tries to sniff out a Hollywood studio owner's connection to the mob.

A few things stood out for me
Johnny Williams
Just finished the 8th in The Spenser series – and I like them more with each book—Why I wonder—I think it is because you really at this point ( 8 books in) know Spenser well – his antics – his hard side and his romantic side as well—
In this one he is more of a smart aleck than he has s been (which is saying something). The plot is predictable, but the writing is what the Spenser readers expect and enjoy and this one certainly doesn’t disappoint-- A Savage Place is a portrait of Los Angeles in th
Eliana
Apr 04, 2014 Eliana added it
What can you say about a writer who can conjure up the likes of Spenser as well as Hawk. Their repartee is the hook and the plots and additional characters reel you in. Anyone who has lived in Boston will particularly enjoy the settings and characters. I am trying to finish up reading every single one of the Spenser series. Almost done!
Sue Malijan
Hooked on Parker

I love Spencer. I only have a few Robert Parker books left to read. I'll miss them when I am done. These are books my dad, who was also a reader, use to read. I can't seem to make them last long enough.A fast ,one day read.
Douglas Graney
One could mistake this for a parody of a detective story. Cheesy language and corny scenes throughout. This was one of my "I'm going to close my eyes and grab a book off my library shelf and read it no matter what" books.
Kevin Beck
The early Spenser books are much better than the later books. This is Spenser at his finest being a wise guy and dispensing justice. Less Susan and less showing off his literary knowledge usually results in a better book.
Tim
The LA book...when Spenser has an affair with the television reporter, Candy Sloan.

LA type asks Spenser, "How did you end up in such a strange business?"

Spenser: "I got too old to be a Boy Scout."
Tom
I'm a big fan of the Spenser series but didn't enjoy this one as much as the others I've read. The back and forth banter usually found in Spenser novels was really missing in this book.

Also didn't feel ending was very believable.

Brad
It was okay. I was kind of upset with Spenser with his little reporter fling, but how it turned out made it feel right. The plot was a bit more complicated, but less engaging than the previous novels.
Joseph M. O'Connor
It's a good book.

All of his books are good books. I have to write extra words to qualify the five stars. Good book. There. Made my minimum. Good book.
Mark
Spenser is hired by a news reporter (linking back to Rachel Wallace, from an earlier adventure) who fears for her life and he flies out to LA to take care of her. The plot is thin, but the interplay - as is usual for Parker - is very good. Time, however, has not been as kind to this as the others and the sexual activity (this was written in 1981) seems very dated and cheap now. This also suffers with an ending that, whilst right for the emotion of the book, doesn’t really flow with Spenser himse ...more
Mansfield Public ...: The "A Savage Place" review by Suzanne Dowling 1 1 Aug 05, 2014 02:39PM
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Cinnamon Skin (Travis McGee #20)
  • Time to Murder and Create (Matthew Scudder, #2)
  • In the Best Families (Nero Wolfe, #17)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Spenser (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
  • Mortal Stakes (Spenser, #3)
  • Promised Land (Spenser, #4)
  • The Judas Goat (Spenser, #5)
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • Ceremony (Spenser, #9)
  • The Widening Gyre (Spenser, #10)
  • Valediction (Spenser, #11)
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Chance (Spenser, #23) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)

“Everything was elegant and cool, including Frederics, who was slicker than the path to hell.” 1 likes
“I do the best I can to approve and disapprove only of my own behavior. I don’t always succeed, but I try. I’m trying now and I’m going to keep at it.” 0 likes