Enchanted Afternoon (Calhoun Chronicles #4)

Enchanted Afternoon (Calhoun Chronicles #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  461 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The wife of an ambitious senator, Helena Cabot is the perfect accessory for a man whose hunger for power knows no bounds. But she married for all the wrong reasons and now she is trapped with a dangerous man. Fearing for her safety, Helena ends her marriage and flees to a safe haven. But she soon understands that it's impossible to outrun the past, so she turns to Michael...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published 2002)

Rochelle
Read from October 20 to 21, 2013
Okay, so normally I don't reread books because I have over 550 books on my "to-read" shelf, but after reading Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3) I wanted to reread this to see if it works better in order.
It does!
So, my tip to anyone reading these books, they make more sense when they're read in order! Michael had so much more depth and the pieces fell into place better once you put their past relationship into place!

Read from August 17 to 18, 2012
I enjoy...more
Sandra
9 years ago, pregnant Helena left Professor Michael Rowan to marry Senator Troy Barnes. After leaving her abusive marriage, Helena comes face to face with Michael who learns the truth about her son. Meanwhile amongst this drama, Helena learns to stand up for herself and other abused women in the growing women's movement in Saratoga Springs.

A continuation of the Calhoun Chronicles, Wiggs delves into the story of Helena Cabot in this 19th century romance. With her usual attention to detail, Wiggs...more
Nancynova
Not sure why this is called Enchanted Afternoon - the title doesn't fit the book. Very good though. About an early pregnant woman, who marries a politician with her parent's blessing - exactly what everyone thought was a spectacular match. But no one know the wife beating demons he had, and what a social face she has put forward. So everyone is shocked when she divorces her husband and opens Moon Lake Lodge - a refuge for abused women that she succeeds in creating and sustaining - and she reconn...more
Kathy Anne
I really liked this book,even tho I had to skip the spouse abuse part,just can`t read that awful stuff.
As a rule I don`t like historicals,tho I find myself reading Susan`s and liking them too.I was glued to this one,I finished at 3:20AM-that doesn`t happen very often.I thought there was a perfect ending too in the person of one little gal that met Troy at the dock at just the right time.Hooray for her !
Joyce
I didn't think I would be able to stomach a novel in which the heroine was a victim of spousal abuse (not by the hero, of course!) ... but I suppose it's a testament to the author's skill that this is one of my favorites from her.

And it doesn't hurt that the hero is a professor ... sorry, my bad ... inventor. Not a typical(?) vocation for your typical alpha-male in a romance novel ...
Dev
I did not enjoy the story of Helena and Michael as much as I thought I would. The prequel was so compelling that I rushed out to buy this book just so I could find out what happened with Michael and Helena. Although the story was ok, I just did not find it as good as "Halfway to Heaven"
Alexandra Jordan
Absolutely wonderful!!! Loved everything about it....Micheal and William's father-son relationship was adorable. The lady Helena transformed into after her divorce was remarkable and beautiful.
A great inspiring book for all women!
Lori
This was my first time reading a Susan Wiggs novel. Writing a book with dosmetic violence in it can never be easy but I love how the writer showed the main character struggling with the stigma and her past.
Stefanie
I wasn't thrilled with the ending of this book. I wanted to know more. It ended to quickly in my opinion. But other that that I loved this story. Loved the bonding between Michael and William.
Katie
A reasonably good story, but could have completed the gist in a few less pages. I do appreciate the struggle of the wife in a time that manipulative men had not just some power, but all the power.
Kay Van Slyke
This was my first of the Calhoun series. And although it is book #4, it can pretty much stand alone. However, I might have to check out it's prequel "Halfway to Heaven".
Lisa
Light reading but really good because its abot a woman that survives an abusive marriage only to find herself starting a battered womans home in the 1800's.
Michelle
This book seemed like it would never get to the point. It wasn't bad but definitely not her best.
Mary
A look into women's suffrage. Helena was brave to leave a senator.
Pamela
I really like her light hearted romances.
Pam
Great easy read. I was ready for some like this!
Sherry
Nice easy summer read
Sec2000
too suspenseful
Partridge Public
Wiggs,Susan
Sunshine
Sunshine marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
The Bookworm
The Bookworm marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Aj Abdo
Aj Abdo marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Sabrina Van Goethem
Sabrina Van Goethem marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Kim Dorgan
Kim Dorgan is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
  • The Stephanides Pregnancy
  • Three Nights...
  • A Cold Creek Secret (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #7)
  • Twice Fallen (Ladies in Waiting, #2)
  • Mistress: Pregnant by the Spanish Billionaire
  • A Woman's Heart (Irish Castlelough Trilogy, #1)
  • If You Love Me (The Mackinnons, #7)
  • Deceived
  • The Truest Heart
  • A Fire in the Heart
  • Mending Fences
  • Billionaire Prince, Pregnant Mistress
  • The Sheik and the Virgin Princess (Desert Rogues, #5) (Silhouette Special Edition, #1453)
  • Rachel
  • Highland Hero (Scottish Knights Trilogy, #2)
  • Silken Savage
  • Guarding a Notorious Lady (Devine & Friends, #3)
  • Shifting Calder Wind (Calder Saga #7)
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org...more
More about Susan Wiggs...
Just Breathe Summer at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #1) Dockside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #3) The Winter Lodge (Lakeshore Chronicles, #2) Table for Five