Start by marking “Lily Brown's Paintings” as Want to Read:
Lily Brown's Paintings

Lily Brown's Paintings

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Author Angela Johnson and illustrator E. B. Lewis combine their award-winning talents to create a dazzling celebration of family and creativity.

When Lily Brown paints, her world starts to change . . .
trees wear hats and drink tea, people walk upside down, and apples sing all the way home from the store.
It's Lily Brown's world, and it's wondrous.
A little paint and a lot of
Published January 1st 2007 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Lily Brown's Paintings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily Brown's Paintings

Megan Nelson
Apr 26, 2016 Megan Nelson rated it really liked it
Lily Brown loves her mother, father, and baby brother and the world that they live in. But, when she paints, she is taken to a whole other world: her own world. Lily paints everything that she sees and puts her twist on it. Trees that she passes on her way to school become trees that drink tea and bow to Lily when they see her; fruit that people buy in the grocery store/market have polka dots and stripes and talk to each other; but, she always remembers her mother's smile, her father's eyes, and ...more
Yvonne
Nov 29, 2014 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Lily Brown has a creative imagination and loves to paint. She takes everyday things and turns them into original artwork. Lily paints stars that come down to earth and walk the streets. She paints a city street lined with dancing buildings and people walking upside down. Lily paints polka-dotted singing fruit that anyone can purchase at the local farmer’s market. All of these paintings take Lily into another world which is ruled by her imagination. But, at the end of the day, her real world is j ...more
Jane LoBosco
Feb 24, 2015 Jane LoBosco rated it really liked it
This book opens up a whole world of imagination for students, seeing the magic that Lily Brown creates. Lily can paint, and the world will transform to any way she chooses. I loved reading this book and seeing how creative the mind of a young child can be. I forget just how wonderful the imagination of children is, and students reading this will absolutely be able to relate to it. This book is full of colorful imagery, and fabulous illustrations that will bring students right into the story. In ...more
Keri
Apr 06, 2011 Keri rated it liked it
Category: Grades K-3, Book #15
This is a great story about a little girl's imagination and self confidence. As Lily paints, she allows her mind to take her anywhere she wants to go, and in the meantime knows that she is loved by her family and always accepted by them. It's an adorable story and will encourage children to take risks and feel confident. It's also a great book to encourage kids who love art or to motivate those that are intimidated by it.

Children's Literature
Lily Brown loves her fam
Rachel Dalton
I loved this precious book! The paintings by E.B. Lewis are brilliant and open up the imagination of the readers. Children can imagine another world that is painted by Lily and open their minds up to their own creativity. I will use this book to work on visualization and to encourage students to think outside the box not only when painting, but also when writing.
deborah
Jan 30, 2014 deborah rated it really liked it
We really liked the story line and the silly things Lily imagines as she paints - for example, a street with people walking upside down. The humour is appropriate for a preschooler, and the imagined worlds were nicely situated in the context of a warm family environment. I would have liked to see more of the adult-style paintings, however. There weren't enough of these gorgeous watercolours.
K.
Jul 25, 2014 K. rated it really liked it
Lily Brown has quite the imagine. And she likes to express herself through her paintings. We loved turning the pages to see what Lily Brown was going to paint next. Definitely a good read younger children and great resource to teach kids about imagination.
Molly Lorenz
Apr 14, 2013 Molly Lorenz rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lily Brown's Paintings is a book that really shows children what it is like to use your imagination and escape your own reality into the land of make believe. In this book Lily paints pictures and begins to imagine her world as if she is living in the pictures. She walks through this world and travels places she could never imagine, sailing through corn and sky scrapers, the trees bow down for her, all things that she created for herself. At the end of the book she realizes how great her family ...more
Sonya
Jan 22, 2016 Sonya rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and illustrated book. I love Lily the artists and how she sees and creates art everywhere. This will be going on my bookshelf-awesome book for children and adults.
M Lee
May 17, 2016 M Lee rated it it was amazing
Story about a girl's love of painting and imagination. The illustration is intentionally to look child-like and beautifully done. Should be a delight for kids who love painting.
Nia
Dec 31, 2015 Nia rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I've read this more than once. This is about a girl who paints her imagination's.
Connie
Nov 07, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
The artwork in the book is mostly not the same as the artwork on the cover - it's Lily's artwork, and it's done in an appropriate style for a young child. This is fine, the book is definitely better that way, but be aware before you purchase.

Lily is, as near as you can tell, a perfectly happy kid living a perfectly happy life. But all the same, she's happiest making her own world - a world where trees can wear hats or animals talk on the phone.

You can really see the joy of creating when you read
Lindsey Jones
Great little book to get students to think about capturing their worlds!!!
Tracie
Mar 10, 2016 Tracie rated it really liked it
Lily Brown loves to paint and let her imagination go.
Pam
Jan 29, 2015 Pam rated it it was ok
None of us loved it. It was ok, but not magical. It's always strange to find a book we've never read before on the shelf. That's why we love this project!
Gordon Pennington
Sep 28, 2011 Gordon Pennington rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Lily Brown's Paintings is a fantasy book where Lily Brown essentially gets lost in her paintings. She creates very imaginative art where things are much different than reality. I did not like this book. It seemed like an excuse for the illustrator to make bizarre paintings; it was not well-written and didn't really have a point. As I was reading it to kids I was getting bored: children have a sixth sense when you are not enjoying a book. This is one that I hope to never see again.
Beckie Coldiron
Apr 04, 2011 Beckie Coldiron rated it really liked it
Lily loves to express her creativity through her magical paintings, which takes readers on an exploration through her imagination. This would be a fun book to pull out for your students when you're wanting them to deepen their creativity. Additionally, you could have students make predictions through illustrations, since the illustrations are quite vibrant in this book. I'd recommend this book for students in 1st through 3rd grade.
Takishia Gabriel
Oct 27, 2011 Takishia Gabriel rated it really liked it
Excellent book for those students in our class who enjoys art. Lily is very confident in her art works, so this would give the opportunity for those students who enjoys art to be confident. This book also allows for other students to feel confident in the work they do in the classroom. Family is also represented in a positive way in this book. Allowing children to use their imagination is important, and this book encourages this.
Angela Record

Anna
Jul 19, 2007 Anna rated it liked it
This book was okay E.B. Lewis does a great job with the illustrations I really like the way he depicts Lily dancing through her paintings. The story does a good job of capturing the creative wonder that the main character has for painting but I think the story falls a little short of being really wonderful. I reads almost like an information book which I didn't expect.
Ashley Courtemanche
Oct 02, 2008 Ashley Courtemanche rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations in this book, there colorful and very well to see. I love that there not like all perfect almost like a child did the illustrations. The book is about a young girl that dreams and thinks and puts all of her thoughts in her paintings. Her paintings describe what she sees in the world. Its a great book, the illustrations are funny and colorful.
Tearese
Jun 05, 2009 Tearese rated it really liked it
I like the idea of this children's books, and I really enjoy at least half of the paintings in the book. But some of them feel like the author is just trying to fill up the required number of pages.
I love how the artist drew from famous artists; my favorite is the page with Van Gough's bedroom painting..I also like the fruit page.
Katrina
Jun 18, 2009 Katrina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Kids 3-8 Years Old
Shelves: picture-books
Kristi
Apr 07, 2010 Kristi rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story of a little girl who loves her family and also loves to paint the world as she sees it. Throughout this story you see the world from Lily's view and her paintings. She is a very happy girl, loves the world to be happy, and loves her family.
Brooke Devarennes
This book was great for an Art themed book. It's a fantasy book with great imagery. When Lily paints, the whole world around her changes. She uses her imagination to escape the world and she "lives" in her paintings. This is a lower leveled book as well.
Winta
Oct 21, 2011 Winta rated it liked it
This book is about a girl name Lily who loves spending time with her family and drawing. She enjoys painting her world. This book can be used as an introduction read aloud to inspire kids to be creative in their school writing, drawing, etc.
Liliana
Apr 21, 2010 Liliana rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books, art
This book is about a girl named Lily who loves to paint. Although she loves the world she lives in, she paints herself a magical world where anything can happen. This is a great story to use when you want your students to use their imagination.
Brittney
Oct 28, 2011 Brittney rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
"Lily Brown's Paintings" is a story about a young girl and her imagination. Lily Brown paints stars and fruit all in her imagination. I would use this in my classroom before we begin an art project or when we discuss our imagination.
Kellie Hennessy
Apr 22, 2012 Kellie Hennessy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lt, reviews
This book has beautiful illustrations that draw children into the book. This is a great book for a read aloud and can lead to a wonderful grand conversation. This is a great book to use to inspire students to pursue their dreams.
Tiffany
Feb 20, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Beautiful book about a girl who paints things that she sees in her mind. It is a great book to get children to understand fact from fiction or talk about art and how to use are to express what you think and feel.
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Be Boy Buzz
  • Don't You Feel Well, Sam?
  • Ugly Pie
  • What Floats in a Moat?
  • The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever
  • Uh-oh!
  • Buster
  • So, What's It Like to Be a Cat?
  • Beautiful Girl: Celebrating the Wonders of Your Body
  • A Mama for Owen
  • What's the Time, Mr. Wolf?
  • Rap A Tap Tap
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • Ron's Big Mission