Start by marking “What's a Parent to Do?: Solving Family Problems in a Christlike Way” as Want to Read:
What's a Parent to Do?: Solving Family Problems in a Christlike Way

What's a Parent to Do?: Solving Family Problems in a Christlike Way

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Published January 1st 1997 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about What's a Parent to Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's a Parent to Do?

Kari
Jun 17, 2014 Kari rated it it was amazing
I love how positive Glenn Latham is about parenting. I think positive reinforcement is a powerful way to teach children and keep an uplifting atmosphere. This book is directed more towards older children but I still learned from it and will read it again when mine have grown some. I wrote some notes to help myself remember some of his ideas.

"I'm glad you understand what I expect of you" "I appreciate you understanding that I expect you to ______________"

In times of intense emotion do not ask or
Alisa
Nov 12, 2008 Alisa rated it really liked it
I read this book based on a composer I really love (Sally DeFord) saying she wished she would have read this book as a young parent, which I now am. Overall, many of the situations and role plays apply to older teenaged kids, but I loved how the author made parents think about the environment they sponsor for their kid and how he linked so much of how we can have Christ in our parenting. There were also some great concrete ideas as far as things you can do to help your children focus, and yourse ...more
Kimster
Sep 14, 2008 Kimster rated it it was amazing
I loved Glenn's practical advice. Some of his scenario's the wording he chose was cheesy he could update that a little but the concepts worked for my wayward 14 year old "difficult" child. I finally got my power back as a parent and quit fearing every possible situation or conversation that I thought might blow up in my face. This truly taught me not only to be a more Christlike parent but also taught me to be a more Christlike person as I learned to communicate in soft tones and not to get angr ...more
Esther May
Mar 18, 2013 Esther May rated it liked it
I love the way that Mr. Latham is so positive about parenting. It should be an enjoyable journey. We as parents have the ability to choose how we will react or act as our children learn. I needed this reminder. This book however did not get a better rating from me because many of the chapters focused on things that I did not relate to, such as kids getting into drugs or wanting to move out.
Natalie
Sep 30, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing

I really loved this book. It gave me a good look at how I am parenting now and how I can improve. It is about changing me and not trying to change my kids. Who knew i was the problem!? It is one I will read again and again until it really sticks.
Amber
Apr 20, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
Same author as "The Power of Positive Parenting". Great insight. Helpful now and for future and includes dialogue and how to react to wayward/angry kids.
Jesi
Nov 12, 2008 Jesi rated it really liked it
Helpful and insightful. I like his Christlike parenting book a little better. Very upbeat on parenting.
Jenna
Sep 12, 2008 Jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-lit
Lots of good ideas. Seemed more appropriate for teenagers though.
Stanley Hall
This is a great introductory book to parenting
Allen Sangster
Allen Sangster rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Suzanne Williams
Suzanne Williams rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Nate
Nate rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Annie Glenn
Annie Glenn rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Cheraidainventor
Cheraidainventor rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Raquel Dotson
Raquel Dotson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Rachel Meyers
Rachel Meyers marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
andrea s johnson
andrea s johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Josh Arnold
Josh Arnold is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2015
Leigh Meister
Leigh Meister marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Akaemi
Akaemi rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Traci Washburn
Traci Washburn marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Nicole Unger
Nicole Unger marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Teandra
Teandra marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Dedra
Dedra marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Darren
Darren marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014