Start by marking “The Ambient Century: From Mahler To Trance; The Evolution Of Sound In The Electronic Age” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This volume describes and examines the drift in 20th century music from composed works to the work of non-musicians, from strict rules to no rules and from the single note to the sample.
Published November 20th 2000 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

To ask other readers questions about The Ambient Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ambient Century

Sean
Dec 31, 2015 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
A thoroughly amateurish and unfocused work which is less an overview of "ambient music" (a term never properly defined by the author) than it is a series of factually-dubious artist biographies presented in a dull, encyclopedic manner, a format that does little to orchestrate any sense of scope or overarching narrative apropos of the genre's musicology. Much of the text is dedicated to artists that could hardly be described as even tangential to ambient—see the baffling inclusion of Schoenberg i ...more
Stevedocious
Aug 05, 2011 Stevedocious rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
A fascinating book tracing the rise of ambient and minimalist music from the classical music at the start of the twentieth century upto the ambient electronica and dance that closed the century. It is split into four 'books':

The Electronic Landscape
A review of the development of 'serious' music in the 20th century. It starts with the symphonies of Mahler, through Satie's 'Furniture Music' up until the work of Finnish composer Kaija Saariaho in the 1980s.

Minimalism, Eno and the new Simplicity
Cove
Paul Austin
Apr 17, 2009 Paul Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Serious ambient music devotees will find it a bit lacking, but for folks like me who only know the 'big' names, it's an incredibly comprehensive primer, and has led me to dozen CDs I've taken out of the library and listen to regularly now...
João Pedro da Costa
Jan 17, 2012 João Pedro da Costa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
There's a lot of criticism concerning this book on the web. Personally, I found it simply amazing: a real-eye opener of the connections between major figures of ambient music from Mahler to Moby.

The fact that the book is more of a practical guide than an essay about ambient music is probably the main why some reader found it disappointing. When I ordered it I was expecting exactly what I ended up reading: a well-written journey through the work and life of key figures of ambient music. I especia
Christopher
Jul 20, 2007 Christopher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Prendergast's THE AMBIENT CENTURY is an encyclopedia of the biggest names in "ambient music", a style that's never defined, but which might be a) music that the author digs, and b) music that the author doesn't like so much but which lends respectability to later figures.

Prendergast starts off all the way at the beginning of 1900s with innovative classical music figures such as Debussy, Mahler, and Ravel. There is little that these figures have in common with what came later, but Prendergas
Justin
Apr 22, 2013 Justin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wooden writing and the encyclopedic format of the book make this an absolute slog. I would much rather read Allmusic reviews of these artists and their albums.

This is definitely not an even-handed history of "sound in the electronic age." Readers can easily tell which artists Prendergast favors over others, and some artists which I personally feel have had a profound impact on recording techniques and overall ambience in recorded music--My Bloody Valentine for instance--gets a few sentences.

To m
Grant
Aug 12, 2009 Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Finally! A must read book for lovers of ambient music!
The focus of this book is mostly on the historical aspects and the development of the concepts and early artists of the ambient world. I found it a bit light on the modern ambient music scene (from about 1990 until it's date of publication), I was hoping for it to delve a little deeper. But that's just my personal taste. This book is a great reader for anyone interested in not just ambient music, but for the exciting possibilities of where mu
Bennett
Sep 11, 2012 Bennett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had made a promise to myself only to put up books I love or have found stimulating in one way or another, but this is the only bad review i'll give because I hate the thought of anyone I know wasting their hard earned cash on this piece of shit. dreadful, simplstic, poorly researched, frequently worng (yes, folks.....WRONG!). that in the 20th century music became "ambient" is a completely lame premiss on which to waffle on at length about stuff the author seems to know almost nothing about. th ...more
Charles
Sep 07, 2015 Charles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
An unhelpful slog.
Brian Criner
rather dry, very repetitive, and poorly written. It's saving graces are the truckloads of information and the unique connections made between artists, that connection being their use of ambience.
Eric
Jun 08, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Not much of a cover-to-cover read, more of an all-inclusive reference book. Main negative is that Pendergast's all-inclusive approach tends to blur the distinction between the ambient and avant-garde approaches to music, which are not the same.
Keith
Feb 09, 2009 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: critical-studies
This book was not exactly what I hoped for. While I certain case was made for the origins of the idea of ambient, I can't really say that the case was made in this book. Everything the author liked seemed to be termed ambient.
Andreas Rauh
Mar 08, 2010 Andreas Rauh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional! Outstanding! Great source and reference for practically anything related, even vaguely, to electronic music in the XX century. A clear cut choice for anyone interested in the subject. Highly recommended.
Innerspaceboy
The definitive guide to the ambient genre and its history. I only hope a second revised edition will be published to reflect the recent rise of modern classical and music for films.
Robyn
Oct 24, 2007 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ambient lovers
A good history of the orgins of the ambient music scene. From where is started to where it is now. Many good references, and and awesome way to find out about legendary bands.
Matthias
Feb 15, 2008 Matthias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the one reference book you should have for music that works in the background and is still exciting
Monte
Jul 18, 2010 Monte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still reference this book on a regular basis after having read it in 2004.
Matthew Langley
Jul 09, 2013 Matthew Langley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book, for a certain musical interest
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Livb
Livb marked it as to-read
Thomas
Thomas is currently reading it
Gianfranco Trucchi
Gianfranco Trucchi rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Aydan
Aydan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Tony DeSimone
Tony DeSimone marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Will Jaramillo
Will Jaramillo is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
Fred Sampson
Fred Sampson is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
MUSIC COMPENDIUM FROM (rather than circumscribed by) A FOCUS 1 1 Jun 02, 2015 03:07AM
  • Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds
  • Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond
  • Generation ecstasy : into the world of techno and rave culture
  • Brian Eno: His Music And The Vertical Color Of Sound
  • Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco
  • Audio Culture: Readings in Modern Music
  • Incredibly Strange Music, Volume II
  • Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey
  • Appetite for Self-Destruction: The Spectacular Crash of the Record Industry in the Digital Age
  • Krautrocksampler