Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: Ooh La La! It's Beauty Day” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: Ooh La La! It's Beauty Day

Fancy Nancy: Ooh La La! It's Beauty Day (Fancy Nancy)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  41 reviews
What better way to fancy Mom up for her birthday than to treat her to a super-deluxe beauty day created by Fancy Nancy herself? It's a pampering paradise, and right in the backyard! With relaxing music, fragrant lotions, colorful nail polish, and foamy mousse, Nancy gives her mom a total makeover. She even treats her to sumptuous refreshments and special entertainment. But...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy

Jo
The adorable Fancy Nancy is back! Since it's her mom's birthday, Nancy decides to set up a super fancy spa in their backyard in order to pamper Mom and have her looking gorgeous before the big birthday celebration. There's a recipe for a Fantastique Face Mask and a Soothing Sea Salt Foot Soak, tips for a marvelous manicure, a recipe for some spa cuisine (Yum Yum Yogurt Parfait) and instructions for a crafty and cute "Mom" headband using pipe cleaners and sequins.

Another Fancy Nancy winner for me...more
Amy Carr
I have to be careful what I read to my daughter because she will instantly insist on doing whatever fabulous idea the book suggests...especially when it comes to pedicures, manicures, and other fancy things. Needless to say, we had a great time reading the book and then gave each other glitter toes!!
Karina Arroyo
I found this book to be interesting as it was very different than most books. This book was about a little girl who is preparing a spa for her mom as it is her birthday and they wish to please her. She wishes to go all out and utilizes her imagination to make her spa extraordinary and fancy. I think this book is perfect for little girls who are girly in like the fourth grade. Some of the words may be kind of hard as the vocabulary for beauty stuff can be pretty hard to read. However, i think tha...more
Alyssa Pierce
This book is great for all little girls who are into beauty, or anyone for that matter. It is Nancy’s mother’s birthday and she wants her to look extra special for her dinner with her father. Her idea to do this is to make a spa. It is full of masks, manicures, pedicures, and hair. All day, Nancy, her little sister, and her mother spend time together doing the different activities. A great part of this book is that it is not just these ideas of what the three do together but actual concrete acti...more
Margaret
Aug 03, 2010 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Arianna Heintz
Very cute! I was introduced to Fancy Nancy from my dear friend Nancy through Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy. I enjoyed that one and I really adored this one. In Fancy Nancy Ooh La La! It's a Beauty Day readers are brought into a great day interaction between mama and daughter. It's Mama's birthday and Nancy is doing everything to make a it a perfect "beauty day". Tips, tools, and recipes are all through out each step of the beauty process complete with fancy terminology and a great learning voca...more
Camden
When I read Fancy Nancy books, I feel a dull horror and pray that my future children like mud.

But I respect the vocabulary in these books, especially this one, which seems to attempt to introduce children to the French language.
Liz Todd
A different "style" of Fancy Nancy book! Love the tutorials about how to make a beauty salon at home. So sweet..and plenty that we could actually do, if we had the notion to do it. Thankfully, G did not request this! :)
Nancy
I loved this book. The illustrations are so cute and funny. Nancy dreams of a fancy wedding, only to learn that the wedding will take place in a not so fancy location. She learns that this type of wedding was fun.
I'm sort of surprised to see this Fancy Nancy book in my school collection. (I'm a first year librarian so I'm really getting to know what's on my shelves.)

Fancy Nancy decides to give her mom a spa day for her birthday. This book includes a plot about Nancy's mom's makeover and her hairstyle gone wrong. It also has how-to instructions and tips for facial masks, braiding, and painting fingernails. Girly girls will love these age-appropriate tips. That being said, it seems a bit strange to provid...more
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
By: Marcus and Mia

The characters in this book were Nancy, mom, her sister, dad, dog, and Mrs. DeVine. This story took place in the backyard, and in a tent on Mom's birthday. The problem in the story was Nancy made her mom's hair look HORRIBLE! The problem was solved when Mrs. DeVine came over and she fixed her mom's hair up to look beautiful for her birthday! The lesson learned was that things, like hair, can always be fixed.

Words we Learned:

pamper= to spoil you

complexion= is fancy for skin

stunn...more
Tess
Only because I don't endorse having to get smothered in makeup and hair-goo to look pretty.
Dolly
Sep 26, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a really fun book that demonstrates how to create a "luxury" spa at home. We like the tips on painting nails and the recipes for face masks and yogurt parfaits. The story has just the right amount of humor and reality to show that even if it's not perfect, you can still make your Mom (or anyone else) feel special with a little pampering at home.

We really enjoy the books in the Fancy Nancy series and we will certainly look for more at our local library.
Megan Sanchez
Another one of the "educational" type Fancy Nancy books, focusing more on a certain topic than on a story. Nancy, in this volume, gives her Mom a Spa Day of her own design in preparation for her parents' date night. It was cute, not my favorite, but probably would be very appealing to young girly-girls. I appreciate these Fancy Nancy books because they ask kids to be active and creative and are full of recipes, activities and enough story to keep it interesting.
Carla
This book is a realistic fiction about a little girl who throws a spa day for her mother in their backyard. Nancy does her mom's hair and nails and makeup for her fancy dinner that night.This book is pretty cute and accurately portrays the mindset of a little girl. I remember doing about the same thing a couple of times with my mom. I enjoyed this book and its little tidbits of information and new recipes that went only with their spa adventure.
Lauren
Fancy Nancy is so much fun to read! The author has written her as such an adorable character you just can't wait to see what she is going to say next. I love her usage of french words and the illustrations are adorable! I don't think I would use this for an activity for the whole class because I'm not sure that little boys will be able to relate to it, but I will have it available to read in my classroom!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I like Fancy Nancy books and I like that they expose children to a variety of vocabulary. However, I was surprised with this one. It seemed almost too busy. The pictures were busy, and there was recipes or other tips on each two page spread along with the text. It is good just not one of my favorite Fancy Nancy stories. :-(
Go
My 3 year old daughter picked this book out at the library and I have been reading it to her. It is so cute. I love Nancy's creativity. Afterwards my daughter kept saying "Ooh la la, beauty spa." She asked me to paint her nails and said "Mom, I want to be fancy." She wants to read more "Fancy" books.
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Jenn M
Definitely a girl-y girl book...but very cute and sweet. Nancy opens her own beauty spa and takes care of a very special customer. My daughter enjoyed the story, and also learning some new "fancy" words...some even in French!
Shantia Redd
This book is an excellent way to teach children new vocabulary words and define the words by using synonyms that the children already know. This book also gives the reader a detailed list on how to have their own beauty day.
Jen
We love the Fancy Nancy series and this book was as adorable as all the others. I particularly liked all the recipes and tips for having your very own spa day at home with things you probably already have on hand.
Greta
At age 5 my little girl said "Are we ready to dine?" every time she was ready for a meal. I never taught it to her. Don't know where she picked it up, but to this day, her vocabulary is still amazing.
Deana Pittman
Abbi loved this one...she was ready to play spa instead of go to bed last night! I think we are going to have to invest in some Fancy Nancy books for her library! OOH LA LA!
Little Miss and the Legomeister
This is a pretty cute book. Fancy Nancy gives her mom a spa day. I don't think it's quite as relaxing as Nancy intends. I love the way her mom looks at the end. So funny.
Heather
49 months - this is a fun one that was very appealing to O... But be warned it's a lot longer than your typical picture book so a lot more time for it before bed.
Beth
I thought the recipes and little sidebars were too distracting. I'm not a big fan of Fancy Nancy anyway, but my daughter enjoys her stories.
S.j.reads
I loved the mom's hair when Nancy finished! And the thing about guarantees being promises so it has to do what it says...too cute!
Tara
It was too long for my 5 year old. She likes the look of Fancy Nancy but the stories are too wordy for her to pay attention to.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Fancy Nancy sets up a Beauty Spa and does her mother's nails, hair and make-up for her birthday celebration. A.R.
Sandie
We love Fancy Nancy books...they are fun and good for extending vocabulary! Cute pictures, too!

• Pinkalicious: Tickled Pink
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • Ponyella
  • The Very Fairy Princess
  • Tea for Ruby
  • Arthur's TV Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Sneezy the Snowman
  • Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary [With Mini Figure]
  • Grace for President
  • Fanny
  • The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Apple Pie
  • Ava the Sunset Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Twilight Fairies, #1)
  • Ladybug Girl at the Beach
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...
Fancy Nancy Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany