Start by marking “God's Smuggler” as Want to Read:
God's Smuggler

God's Smuggler

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  22,285 Ratings  ·  564 Reviews
This incredible story combines heart-stopping adventure, broken lives transformed and the realities of spiritual warfare, all rolled together in a page-turning thriller set behind the Iron Curtain.
295 pages
Published 2005 (first published 1964)

Mark
Aug 01, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my early days of walking with Christ, it seemed every Christian was recommending this book. Thirty years later, I've finally read it. All I can say is: What took me so long?

There have been several books throughout my journey with the Lord that have impacted me so profoundly that I now view the reading of them as milestones in my life. This book may now top the list.

In "God's Smuggler," Brother Andrew tells his own story of smuggling Bibles to Christians behind the Iron Curtain. When he first
Mike (the Paladin)
Written in 1967 I've heard about this book for a long time and always "meant to get around to it". Well based on a recommendation here that reminded me of it I finally got it (after 46 years) and it was well worth the read.

First off this is a Christian read, know that going in. While it has value as a read about the Cold War era it is told from the point of view of a Christian missionary (and those involved with him.

Now for you who have a knee-jerk bad reaction to the word missionary I can only
Jason Mccool
Jul 28, 2013 Jason Mccool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Pat McCool
My mom gave me this book in college back in 1995, and for some reason, I waited until last week to read it. Finishing it today, I am dumbfounded that I waited so long to read it. I had apparently started reading it back in 2008, judging from a bookmark left in it, but for some reason, never got more than a few pages into it. This time, I couldn't put it down. I was reading it while brushing my teeth, while eating my cereal, while waiting at stop lights. From Brother Andrew's childhood in Nazi-oc ...more
Natalie Vellacott
Apr 24, 2016 Natalie Vellacott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missions
This is a classic missionary biography. I just re-read it. I had forgotten that Brother Andrew includes his own personal testimony in the earlier chapters of the book. It's really a great story from angry, drunk, suicidal and anti-God to Christian. God placed people in Andrew's life at key points and I'm sure these people were faithfully praying for him.

The Bible smuggling part of the book is incredible and a reminder that God was and is at work to bring His Word to the unreached. Many times Br
Amanda Tero
Feb 05, 2016 Amanda Tero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is an amazing book! There are really no words to describe it other than Brother Andrew simply living in obedience to God. But how encouraging and faith-building it is to follow years of his ministry! Some people think of doing grand things for Christ, but often, Brother Andrew was just THERE...giving hope to the persecuted Christians that there is someone else in the body praying for them. Reading this book will raise your awareness of persecuted Christians and the struggles they face. ...more
Josiphine
Faith. This entire book is a complete exercise in utter faith. I am in
awe.

This is really one of the best books I've ever read, and I think I will now read everything else that he's written. I think every Christian (oh, well non-Christians too, if they would) should read this.

It's also side-splittingly hilarious. Really. And it also takes place partly in Holland. You have no excuse, so go go.
Jaimie Engle
Jan 16, 2014 Jaimie Engle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was by far the BEST non-fiction book I have ever read. It made me reconsider the degree that I believe in miracles. I love God, and always have, but this book showed me how small of a box in which I keep my God. A great read for anyone who is questioning where God is or if he still hears us.
Hilary
Jan 12, 2016 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brother Andrew is by his own admission a very ordinary man. Born in a small village in Sint Pancras, the Netherlands, from an early age he was like many children, dreaming about grand adventures. He's the son of the village blacksmith, living in poverty exacerbated by WWII, who joined the armed forces to find those adventures; although that didn't work out, God planted a seed within him, a seed which grew into the Open Doors ministry. Brother Andrew was born, a man who smuggled Bibles behind the ...more
Abigail Prigge
Sep 09, 2015 Abigail Prigge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"God's Smuggler" is an inspiring story of missions. I'm encouraged to have more faith in God and to treasure the precious Word of God that I often take for granted. I really enjoyed the first few chapters about Brother Andrew's personal testimony and then later, the glimpses behind the Iron Curtain. God is SO BIG and we can always trust Him.

Some favorite quotes:

"...I could hardly wait to tell Corrie what God had done with the thimbleful of willingness we had offered Him."

"'Why are we worried!' R
Jasmine Wheeler
May 07, 2013 Jasmine Wheeler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omigosh! I loved this book so much! This is the story of a missionary, called Brother Andrew, who smuggles Bibles behind the border of the Soviet Union! It was so thrilling; the accounts of guards nearly finding the Bibles and missing them by a hair sometimes, this book will give you the thrill of a spy novel without the romantic scenes.
Blessing Counter
Ok, this book is AWESOME. All the ways God worked through Brother Andrew's life was just - amazing! And the writing is not one single bit boring either, like I miiiggghhhtt have expected it to be ;)
Katrina
May 14, 2012 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story of an ordinary guy who answered the call to live an extraordinary life trusting God.
Sarah Morgan
Sep 01, 2012 Sarah Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of God's faithfulness in this incredible man's life. Definitely a great read!
Mike (the Paladin)

Now for you who have a knee-jerk bad reaction to the word missionary I can only
Sally
Sep 09, 2010 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Adam Shields
Short Review: this is a classic 20th century missionary story. I first read the comic version of the book in the late 1970s as a child. I am not sure if I have read the full thing before or not. This is worth reading but I read it in tension with The God of the Mundane (http://bookwi.se/god-of-the-mundane/) because I also agree with the concept of that book that most of our lives as Christians deal with the day to day and not the miraculous. The difficulty is holding up not normal examples of Ch ...more
Kay Johnson
Jan 19, 2010 Kay Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a sucker for good missionary stories. Although this well-known book has been around for ages, I have never read it until now. I am challenged to think more carefully about what I can do to reach out to the persecuted church around the world. As Brother Andrew says, sometimes the best thing you can do is to just be there.
Janet
Jul 21, 2011 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God's Smuggler is a riveting book. It was hard to put down. It is really inspiring how God changed his life and helped him in his missions and life. Looking back, you can see how he played a small part in brining down the iron curtain, by sharing Christ with those who were forbidden to have access to God's word.
Sanela Tutaris
Jul 25, 2013 Sanela Tutaris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It starts of not too interesting but it gets better and half way through it gets really moving. I love this man! He is such a miracle! Especially how he gets healed at the end from his back pain--I could hardly believe he is telling us the truth, but God's miracles are still happening.
Heidi'sbooks
Jan 30, 2012 Heidi'sbooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best missionary biographies I have ever read. Brother Andrew smuggles Bibles behind the Iron Curtain. His adventures will astound you. Life-changing.
Wilma  Coate
Dec 18, 2015 Wilma Coate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! A story about a missionary to the former Iron Curtain countries, showing courage and faith in God.
Grant
Oct 12, 2015 Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Excellent book. Engaging, inspiring, and convicting. This is one of the best I've read.
Clark
Shelves: favorites
This is such an inspiring, encouraging, wonderful book. <3
Leah Beecher
Nov 26, 2011 Leah Beecher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an impulse pick up at my church's library. I have been putting off reading for a few months, but starting flipping though this one. I really enjoying it...not your typical Christian biography...(those of you who went to Christian school and forced to write book reports on missionaries and preachers know what I mean).
This is the biography of Brother Andrew who, without any formal education of theological degree, and backed by no organization or church, went behind the "iron curtain" of
Dennis
Mar 26, 2015 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, nonfiction
This is by the authors of The Hiding Place, another book I found only so so. This time it's Brother Andrew, a Dutch former soldier who is converted to Christianity after reading the Bible upon his mother's death. In the aftermath of witnessing the atrocities of war in Indonesia, Andrew shifts course forever by devoting his life to the ministry and spreading the gospel.

There is much to be admired about those whose faith relies solely upon God and miracles to provide. The trouble I had with this
Amanda
Aug 10, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I originally read this book in a different edition called The Narrow Road in 2012, and wrote the review in 2013. I realized a while back that this is the actual book, and I'm finally getting around to moving my review since I just re-read this last week (last week of July 2015).

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I'm giving it the incredible status of Best Homeschool Literature Book Ever. Which is saying a lot, since I've read countless books in the ten years I've been homeschooled. I read this one just last
D.I. Telbat
I do not often say that something has changed my life, but the nonfiction book God's Smuggler has changed my life. The man called Brother Andrew (name changed for safety) who lived in Holland before and during the Iron Curtain years, impacted Europe with his faithfulness like no other person I'm aware of.

John and Elizabeth Sherrill's dedication to this carefully written and inspiring story touched my own faith-nerve--to live more by faith from day to day. Brother Andrew's openness to sacrifice
Kolumbina
Mar 16, 2016 Kolumbina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am really angry with "God's smuggler"!
OK I have to admit Brother Andrew is a good writer, or John and Elizabeth Sherrill took their valuable time to translate/transform this piece of rubbish in an easy read book, perhaps quite interesting to some readers.
I have to say for myself that I believe in God but not in Brother Andrew's way. I know that Brother Andrew is now old, very old and it is impossible to change anything. His book is a bad example for younger generations. Wouldn't be better for
Sue
Oct 07, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘God’s Smuggler’ is a very readable account of the life of the Dutchman known as 'Brother Andrew'. We meet him at first as an excitement-seeking teenager, often frustrated with his life, yet close to his family. He spends some time in the army and loses what little faith he had; an injury takes him to hospital, and eventually he finds a new faith in God.

Most of the book then focuses on his gradual forays behind the ‘Iron Curtain’, into first the outer ring and then even the innermost stronghold
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • Peace Child: An Unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Treachery in the 20th Century
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • Tortured for Christ
  • The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
  • Through Gates of Splendor
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • End of the Spear
  • No Compromise
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
Andrew van der Bijl (born 11 May 1928 in Sint Pancras, Netherlands), known in English-speaking countries as Brother Andrew, is a Christian missionary famous for his exploits smuggling Bibles to communist countries in the height of the Cold War, a feat that has earned him the nickname "God's smuggler". Brother Andrew studied at the WEC Missionary Training College in Glasgow, Scotland. Brother Andre ...more
More about Brother Andrew...

“The bigger the darkness, the easier it is to spot your little light.” 24 likes