Start by marking “Light Force: A Stirring Account of the Church Caught in the Middle East Crossfire” as Want to Read:

For years, Christians have fled from the horrific conflict in the Middle East. Today, in the land where the church began, less than two percent of the people in Israel, West Bank and Gaza are Christians. Yet that remnant holds the hope for peace-if they can only persevere in faith and not be discouraged.

Light Force is the remarkable story of Brother Andrew's mission to see
Published September 1st 2005 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Light Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light Force

J. Alfred
Jul 13, 2011 J. Alfred rated it it was amazing
Brother Andrew (the God Smuggler guy- read that too) says that what Communism was for the last half of the twentieth century is what Islam will be for the next hundred years, that is, the big Other, the worldview that tries to challenge Christianity on its own terms. This book, in any case, is about the mission that Brother Andrew and his organization are on to shine the light into the Middle East, especially Palestine. It is astonishing, and it helps one understand the politics, the tensions, a ...more
Natalie Vellacott
Jun 24, 2015 Natalie Vellacott rated it really liked it
Shelves: missions
I read this straight after reading "God Smuggler" which is Brother Andrew's first book. It find it incredible that he moved his ministry from one part of the world to somewhere completely different and then just carried on working for God. This is the main lesson I took from the two books. It was because of the phenomenal success of "God Smuggler" that he was prevented from returning to Eastern Europe. Maybe at this point most of us would've given up and taken the easy option but not Brother And ...more
Janette
Aug 17, 2015 Janette rated it really liked it
Many people will be familiar with Brother Andrew's first book God's Smuggler, but did you know that once this book became a best seller Brother Andrew was no longer able to visit communist countries? The work of Open Doors, the organization he founded, expanded into other countries where Christians struggled to follow their faith in a hostile environment.

Light Force tells the story of Brother Andrew's passion to support struggling churches in the Middle East, and to encourage them in their evang
Corrine
Jul 20, 2015 Corrine rated it really liked it
I give this book a 4 because it is an important topic, but not because of great writing. It dragged for me often and I don't always theologically agree with it, but it IS important to become aware of the church in the Middle East.
Kristin
Aug 15, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kristin by: Kim Carr
Shelves: missions
This was a very enlightening and informative book. Brother Andrew smuggled Bibles behind the Iron Curtain. When the wall fell and Bibles began to be published in that area, his passion changed to supporting the church in the Middle East. He does not take sides, but he gives insight into the plight of the Palestinian Christians and how they feel looked down upon and abandoned by the Christians in the West (who tend to be "pro-Israel") as well as the Jewish believers. They are caught in the middle ...more
Chip Watts
Jul 15, 2012 Chip Watts rated it it was amazing
One of my heroes, Brother Andrew, shares his further adventures in going where few dare to go for the purpose of strengthening the persecuted church. In this case he went to the Middle East. He ministered, in the truest sense of that word, to Palestinian Christians and to Messianic Jews. He reached out to terrorists and political leaders. He went to where there was great suffering and fear and shined the light of Christ while working to raise up believers in Jesus to be come a "light force" in t ...more
Mystery
Oct 20, 2014 Mystery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while but I did it!

I was quite challenged by one or two points raised. It describes very graphically the horrific events going on over in the Middle East, the majority of which I was not aware of. And it raises the question: What can we do about it?

Brother Andrew displays his courage and bravery and faith in God as he goes out there and risks his life on a regular basis to make sure that others know that God loves them.

It's quite an inspiring story with a difficult message to get ac
Leslie Christopher
Sep 23, 2014 Leslie Christopher rated it it was amazing
Arguably one of the most important books I have ever read...should be required reading for all western Christians. The church has let our Palestinian brothers and sisters down. No doubt in my mind that this fact breaks Jesus' heart. Not to mention hindering the spread of The Gospel in the Middle East. As Brother Andrew says there will be no peace in the Middle East until they know the Prince of Peace. And FWIW the author's love for the Palestinian people in no way detracts from his love for Isra ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 03, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-travel, faith
Brother Andrew (the guy who smuggled Bibles behind the Iron Curtain of the USSR) goes to the Middle East and meets with people on every side in Lebanon, Palestine and Israel. He hangs out with terrorists but his main goal is to encourage and build up the dying church in the area. It is an amazing eye opening read (and I've even been to the Middle East). There are many encouraging stories and some heartbreaking ones.
Cheryl
Jul 06, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013
There are so many reasons to read this book. It penetrates deep into the conflicts impacting the church in the middle east, not with judgement or blame, but with compassion and unconditional love. The personal accounts of suffering and pain on all sides of the conflict revealed in this book, have changed the way I pray and the way I view the Middle East.
Erin
Oct 29, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is hard to read. My Mom bought it for me and since I'm refusing to unpack my books in this house
b/c I'm so tired of unpacking books, she lent me hers. I've only read a little and it's a thick book. Because the
subject is very thought provoking, I think this one is going to take me a while to read.
Louise
Sep 24, 2013 Louise rated it liked it
I did not feel this book very terribly well-written. Nor does much happen. However, for those interested in Brother Andrew's work or the sad troubles of the contemporary church in the Middle East, it is a good source of information.
Shane
Sep 20, 2007 Shane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
A very challenging and convicting book on how Christians can approach Muslims in a loving manner while avoiding the political trappings and also support the local Christians in Muslim areas.
Ann
Dec 13, 2014 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book irrespective of the fact that we have met many of the people in it and are privileged to call some of them our friends. Overwhelmingly it is a book of peace and light and love.
Michelle
Mar 02, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome story regarding the Church and what is really going on in the Middle East. Highly recommend it!
Esther
Jun 13, 2013 Esther rated it it was amazing
Every Christian needs to read this book. I was convicted to pray for Palestinian Christians and their church in Gaza and the West Bank.
Beth
Apr 08, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
This book really opened my eyes to a different side of the conflict over Israel, and the way Christians need to stand up and shine a light in what is a very dark area in a spiritual sense.
Linda
Sep 30, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Fantastic insight into a complex situation
Royce Ratterman
Jan 14, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it it was amazing
Read for personal research - found this book's contents helpful and inspiring.
A good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Cathie
Cathie rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2011
Claire Scorzi
Claire Scorzi rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2009
Christy
Christy rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Lindi Soltani
Lindi Soltani rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2010
Ellen Gardner
Ellen Gardner rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Jack Templeton
Jack Templeton rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Grahame
Grahame rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Ransom Becker
Ransom Becker rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2017
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
  • Lords of the Earth
  • Bruchko and the Motilone Miracle
  • If I Perish
  • Death of a Guru
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • Things as They Are: Mission Work in Southern India
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • Missionary Patriarch: The True Story of John G. Paton: Evangelist for Jesus Christ Among the South Sea Cannibals