Lost Lore: A celebration of traditional wisdom

Lost Lore: A celebration of traditional wisdom

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Lost Lore is a celebration of the time-honored wisdom upon which we all once relied. It draws on folklore, tradition and superstition, and is packed with amusing anecdotes and historical extracts which illuminate the beliefs and knowledge of our ancestors. It brings to life the wisdom and practical skills that helped generation after generation, only becoming lost with the...more
Published November 7th 2009 by Chambers (first published 2009)

I am enjoying this book. I am not interested in every section, but many of them are very cool. I started reading this to try to increase my post-apocalypse readiness score. It is OK for that but not entirely as practical as many other books. I am just a dilettante though and don’t want to have to learn too much about any ONE subject.
Katie
Contrary to what you might expect from its girth and the description, this book is merely a coffee table volume. The information is light and brief and superficial, printed on extremely heavy, magazine or art-book type stock. You won't find any meaningful advice on foraging, herbal remedies, or semaphore here, sorry.
oriana
Dec 29, 2009 oriana marked it as to-read
Well this sounds fun & cool.

And here is an interview with the author, via Powell's.
Katie
2.5 stars. I think that it is a fun book, perhaps something to be part of a bathroom library. Sadly, it did not go much into how to do many of the things that the book talks about, which is what I thought I would be getting.
Stephanie
This was an interesting book, but I knew much of the information already. Great for someone who is new to lore.
Amy
I can't believe it's not better!
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Misty Kaiser
Misty Kaiser marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Garry Hoggan
Garry Hoggan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Rowena
Rowena marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Kat B.
Kat B. marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
April
April marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Michael Bell
Michael Bell marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
Jayme
Jayme marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2012
Julie C.
Julie C. marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2012
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Lost Crafts Lost Wisdom Chambers Biographical Dictionary Chambers Dictionary Of The Unexplained Chambers Dictionary of Quotations.