Start by marking “Seven Soldiers of Victory, Book One” as Want to Read:
Seven Soldiers of Victory, Book One

Seven Soldiers of Victory, Book One (Seven Soldiers of Victory #1-2)

Seven Soldiers is an epic tale of life, death, triumph and redemption that explores the nature of heroism and sacrifice. Featuring the first four of the seven soldiers: The Shining Knight, The Guardian, Zatanna and Klarion the Witch Boy. Independently, each of these characters is featured in a story that redefines their purpose in the DC Universe. But their stories also in ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Seven Soldiers of Victory, Book One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Soldiers of Victory, Book One

Nicolo Yu
Oct 21, 2010 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing
The Seven Soldiers of Victory 30-issue epic by Grant Morrison is an ambitious reimagining of 7 third tier characters by introducing new concepts and settings into their back-stories. These are basically new characters as re-imagined by Morrison. The rejuvenated mythology was intended to provide fuel for new ongoing series.

Whether these lofty targets were achieved, I cannot say because I have only read the first part of the saga. Such, my thoughts on the entire story is reserved until I can get
Sesana
Mar 17, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it
So Grant Morrison was raised by back issue bins. Here, he shows his upbringing by revisiting mostly forgotten characters from DC's past. The idea is to use seven mid-range characters in (mostly) new forms in a team book where there is no team. The characters won't meet, but they will have a common enemy. I feel like I can't give a full review until I've read the entire project. I need to see how it comes together before I can fully pass judgement. But so far, I'm enjoying myself. This particular ...more
Richard Guion
Apr 21, 2013 Richard Guion rated it it was amazing
I lost interest in this series when it was first published. I was stunned when I picked it up last week and found that it is one of the best comics Grant Morrison has written. It is a very unusual series, involving 7 characters who form the "Seven Soldiers" but don't each other and never have a big team-up, although they do have an accidental meeting or two. The Sheeda are a race resembling the fae, invading Earth at different points in time. They conquer Camelot and then re-emerge in the 21st c ...more
Matt
Mar 19, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing
I do so love Seven Soldiers. This is the first half, with Shining Knight (which is better written than it is illustrated), much of Klarion (my second fave Seven Soldiers series), all of Guardian (another reeeeally good one), and much of Zatanna (tons of fun).

It's also worth noting that JH Williams III's art in the prologue one-shot is great. He manages to swing effortlessly from his typical style to a John Severin-type Western style and back to his own again.
Alex Hern
Oct 09, 2011 Alex Hern rated it it was amazing
Fucking loved it. People talk about layered storylines, but this is another level.
Javier Alaniz
Dec 16, 2011 Javier Alaniz rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Seven Soldiers of Victory
Grant Morrison's ideas and words.
JH Williams III, and a bunch of others did the art.

Grant Morrison has reached the comic book promised land. That glorious place where a comics creator can approach either of the Big Two comics companies (Marvel and DC) with any idea he has and be given free rein to do whatever he wants. There are not many creators in this echelon. Currently Brian Michael Bendis has achieved that status at Marvel and is happily playing with the Marvel Univ
Drown Hollum
Mar 21, 2014 Drown Hollum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ideas here are stunning and fantastic, justifying the cost of admission in concepts alone. The idea behind the book its-self is a truly unique one, tying a group of seven forgotten, never meeting heroes together to unknowingly face off against a shared enemy. It's the sort of idea that can only work in comic books, though whether or not it is totally successful remains to be seen by me in book two. The whole experiment is brought together across two large volumes, and by itself, aside from s ...more
Alex Ricard
Jan 02, 2016 Alex Ricard rated it it was amazing
Seven and seven, seven times. The nature of dreams, and storytelling, and the malleable, patchwork, secret histories behind every story. The eternal struggle between destiny and freedom, between life and anti-life, between transcendence and suffering. Fictional stories in our history becoming reality and then becoming fiction once more.

This is all familiar Morrison territory. He's done it before - in some cases better, in some cases a little more organized, and in some cases much more uplifting.
Dan
Sep 17, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing
If you're not already a Grant Morrison fan, this (probably) won't sway you. It has all of his hallmarks: a challenging narrative structure, questions about reality, using comic books as a dimension which we exist alongside of, deep cuts into DC history, etc... But it is probably the best distillation of Morrison's DC Comics work and it is quite impressive. It is essentially the story of the modern Seven Soldiers, a superteam of seven C and D-listers from DC's history, who actually never meet eac ...more
Lindsey Stock
Jun 10, 2012 Lindsey Stock rated it it was amazing
Seven Soldiers of Victory re-imagines some of DC's lesser known characters: Zatanna, Klarion the Witch Boy, Guardian, Shining Knight, Frankenstein, Bulleteer, and Mister Miracle. Although the story does not contain any of the major players like Superman, Wonder Woman, or Batman, this is still one of the best books DC has put out. Each story character's story is compelling, there are no boring ones, and the artwork is amazing! The characters in Seven Soldiers are a lot more interesting than "the ...more
Nick
Jan 14, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
While the concept is to have disparate characters who don't know each other all working together inadvertently to fight a worldwide threat, the threads come together very, very late, which left me wondering what the purpose of these stories being connected was for almost the entirety of this volume. Once the connecting elements were divulged, though, I skipped back through and was pretty impressed by their subtle implementation. Beyond that, this is a very well-written and gorgeously-illustrated ...more
Scott
Jun 02, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, own, dc
One of the first things I have genuinely liked by Grant Morrison and its because he isn't trying to show-off his obscure knowledge of some 1940's issue of Batman that no-one cares about and doesn't matter. He is just trying to write a good story to get people interested in characters and the result is a great and fun read! If he just wrote stories like this all the time I would read a lot more Morrison...
Tom
Jan 23, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, re-read
I read most of these issues when they came out, being some of the few comics I actually own. This issue follows four of the group of seven on their own adventures. Some of them clearly focus on the threat of extra-dimensional beings who are bent on destroying humanity. In certain ways the more tangential stories are more intriguing. So far, the Manhattan Guardian and the underworld Puritan character are the best so far. Curious to see how everything gets wrapped up.
Harold
Nov 15, 2015 Harold rated it really liked it
After a murky opening chapter, Morrison does a pretty good job of re-imagining four obscure DC superheroes. He keeps his meta-fictional tendencies and commentary to a minimum, and aided by quite good artwork, works up a pretty compelling quartet of story lines. And if you are thinking this is too good to be true, you are right. It all comes tumbling down in Book Two.
Benjamin
I'll say more after I finish Book Two, but so far I'm really enjoying this format--seven stories about seven separate low-level/unpopular superheroes who are somehow connected. Though, this being Grant Morrison, it does have a high quotient of "wait, what?" moments. (Also, some of the characters here say things that seem out-of-character, but necessary for the reader to get what's going on.)
Dean Olson
Dec 04, 2011 Dean Olson rated it it was amazing
The first volume of two part comic epic by Grant Morrison. 30 issues made up of 2 Bookends and 7 four issue mini series. It is a fantastic story spanning many eras, characters, and genre. Great plays on the number 7 and complete with references to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. My favorites are Frankstein and Shining Knight. Zatanna is always a plus.
Jaime
Mar 31, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Neat stuff - well-nigh incoherent, but neat.
(view spoiler)
Matthew Noe
I... at times I wanted to throw this and give up but something kept me reading. That need to finish is what earned this a 5. The hardest part to get through was definitely the Arthurian stuff, but Guardian more than made up for it.
Nenad Vukusic
Nov 20, 2012 Nenad Vukusic rated it it was ok
This is an attempt to relaunch several long forgotten heroes of the DC universe in seven separate series that have problems with one superarchnemesys and all tie up in one book. Some of the characters worked better than the others (I am not naming any names:). Nice art.
Brent
Apr 07, 2012 Brent rated it really liked it
Grant Morrison is lucidly goofy. Intertwining plot threads with aplomb, these multiple beginnings resonate together. The art by his collaborators resonates with allusion and more than a hint of humor.
Jordan
Feb 06, 2014 Jordan rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The main characters are a "team" that never meets, but they are connected in various ways. I really liked all the little details that connected the otherwise separate stories if you pay attention. Overall interesting and some nice art. Definitely looking forward to reading the second volume.
Oliver Hodson
Nov 19, 2013 Oliver Hodson rated it it was amazing
Great series. I'm not sure if i have rated grant morrison less than five stars but if i have i apologise.
Charlie Stubblefield
Very good. Sometimes confusing, but it starts to come together towards the end of this volume. Looking forward to the next volume.
Hugh
Jan 24, 2011 Hugh rated it it was amazing
Great book, interesting and fun. Love to have everything collected in a Hardcover book.
Aaron
Jul 27, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
After 20 years of writing comics, Morrison still manages to craft some of the most original ideas out there. Epic in scope with broadly imagined characters. Can't wait for volume 2.
Poonam
Feb 10, 2013 Poonam rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Revival of seven new characters in DC comics. All seven stories inter-related, put together in two volume. Smooth, bright, interesting drawings.
Craig Sieracki
Sep 16, 2014 Craig Sieracki rated it really liked it
Probably the best Grant Morrison work I have read in the last five years. Usually I am not a huge fan, but these characters work with his style of writing.
Patrick
Jan 19, 2013 Patrick rated it liked it
This was a book where after reading a chapter, I'd think "I liked x...but hated y." There is some interesting commentary Morrison snuck in, but so much else just didn't float my boat.
Josh
Jun 20, 2012 Josh rated it it was ok
Very ambitious. Can not give a suitable review without rereading first. As usual, Grant Morrison requires more than one reading.
Matt Jones
Matt Jones rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
  • DC Presents Batman: Dark Knight, Dark City
  • 52, Vol. 2
  • Gotham Central Book Three: On the Freak Beat
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Martini Edition
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...

Seven Soldiers of Victory (4 books)
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 1