Start by marking “ Current Psychotherapies” as Want to Read:
 Current Psychotherapies

Current Psychotherapies

Relevant and accessible, CURRENT PSYCHOTHERAPIES helps students learn, compare, and apply the major systems of psychotherapy in a way that is meaningful to both their classroom experience and to their own practices. CURRENT PSYCHOTHERAPIES is used in top counseling, psychology, and social work programs, and features an outstanding group of contributors, each of whom is eit ...more
Paperback, 8th edition, 544 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Thomson Brooks/Cole (first published May 28th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Current Psychotherapies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Current Psychotherapies

Marwah Al-Lamee
Mar 20, 2016 Marwah Al-Lamee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kind of book you thank God it was assigned as part of your class curriculum. Loved it, very simple and straight forward. It is great for anyone new to psychology.
Eric
Sep 17, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't understand why anyone would call this boring. It's densely packed with information that covers a lot of territory, so by nature of the format, you've got to wrestle with the content to really get a grip on the concepts. That's not because it's particularly difficult, but more because you've got to deal with each author's decisions for balancing content with economy of space. I read this book's ninth edition for a class on psychotherapies and during that semester, I also found my mother's ...more
Kirby
Aug 25, 2009 Kirby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very textbook-y. Boring. There are much better general psychological theory books out there. My professor for this class was a retired 75-year-old who came back to teach one class because our university is in a financial crisis. I guess I should not have been surprised that his textbook choice wasn't the most innovative. But yes, this is a very comprehensive overview of psychotherapy theories with lots of history, examples, etc. and it is useful for that reason.
Michael
Jan 04, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has a lot of material, but it's well organized and easy to tell what is the most important information for the book. Each chapter follows a similar outline, despite having a variety of authors. I particularly enjoyed the section on existential psychotherapy, as it was written by Irvin Yalom.
Jyotika Varmani
Sep 11, 2014 Jyotika Varmani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be the best book among the several I went through in this topic. It is very detailed, and at the same time very well organized. It has very good flow, and is easy to understand for someone who is new to psychology. The language is simple and powerful. A must read.
Elisabeth
Jan 06, 2009 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Counselor Trainees
This has been one of the most useful books during my Ph.D. work. It is a great resource for quickly learning about the essential individual counseling theories. I definitely plan to recommend it to all of my future students!
April
for spring '09 Counseling Theories & Techniques
Monika Satyajati
Mar 22, 2015 Monika Satyajati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
It's a book that every therapist will always keep coming back to.
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Rachael Marsh
Rachael Marsh rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Carmen Isáis
Carmen Isáis rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Louisa
Louisa rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2010
Thuy Nguyen
Thuy Nguyen rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Jennifer Piper
Jennifer Piper rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2015
Corie
Corie rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Jenni/Joel Dolphin
Jenni/Joel Dolphin rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Cassandra Smith
Cassandra Smith rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Emilyanna Lovell Tuggle
Emilyanna Lovell Tuggle rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Leticia Martinez
Leticia Martinez rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2015
Charlene Tinner
Charlene Tinner rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Amy nicole Giles
Amy nicole Giles rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Tasha Ramnauth
Tasha Ramnauth rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Markus Frankfurth
Markus Frankfurth rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2017
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Terry Mayo
Terry Mayo rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Survivors
Survivors rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2009
  • Intentional Interviewing and Counseling: Facilitating Client Development in a Multicultural Society
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions
  • Modern Psychotherapies: A Conversation about Truth, Morality, Culture & a Few Other Things That Matter
  • Conjoint Family Therapy
  • Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
  • Genograms: Assessment and Intervention
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • Treating Trauma and Traumatic Grief in Children and Adolescents, First Edition
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Groups: Process and Practice [With Infotrac]
  • Mindfulness and Acceptance: Expanding the Cognitive-Behavioral Tradition
  • Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Inpatient Group Psychotherapy
  • Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry (Colophon Books)