Start by marking “The Art of Tony Millionaire” as Want to Read:
The Art of Tony Millionaire

The Art of Tony Millionaire

Prepare to set sail on a drunken fever dream of dollies, apes, and exotic mysteries, in the form of illustrations, comics, photographs, and anecdotes from the man once referred to as "Beef McManus" by the late rock star "Rocky Stardomes.Dark Horse Books
Published September 22nd 2009 by Dark Horse Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Tony Millionaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Tony Millionaire

David
Mar 20, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Tony Millionaire and his strip, Maakies. I love the content of the comic (drunken birds and apes doing hilariously destructive things on sailing ships and Victorian lawns) and I LOVE the artwork - delightfully detailed pen-and-ink drawings.

This book not only had fantastic examples of the art, some of the Maakies strips, and Sock Monkey, but also the genesis of those things. There were funny pre-Maakies comics. And tons of gorgeous illustrations.

What I wasn't expecting, but real
Nate
Apr 14, 2013 Nate rated it really liked it
Art books are usually pretty hit-or-miss for me, but this one is really well-done. I wasn't familiar with Millionaire's work before reading this, and it gives a great overview of his work interspersed with stories from his life. In addition to standalone drawings and illustrations, there are also a lot of strips and excerpts, which serves as a great introduction to his comics and gives a sense of his writing as well (which I wish more comic art books would do). Some of the Drinky Crow stuff gets ...more
Peacegal
May 27, 2012 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me again of how dear to my heart the Maakies are. There's something about the ornately-drawn adventures of Drinky Crow and Uncle Gabby that grabbed me as soon as I laid eyes upon them. It takes a certain sense of humor to appreciate this comic--a rather dark one--but it's no wonder Maakies fans pledge their allegiance!
Andrewhouston
Mar 03, 2013 Andrewhouston rated it really liked it
Great package of Tony Millionaire's vast work. Gives a good background to Mr. Millionaire and his influences and how he got his start. Written by Tony himself: I gotta say he comes off a bit full of himself and maybe a bit of an a-hole but doesn't make me love his work any less. Brilliant!!
Robert Horan
Robert Horan rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2010
Uncle
Uncle rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2010
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Geoff Page
Geoff Page rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Kevin Siebert
Kevin Siebert rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2013
Manintheboat
Manintheboat rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Whatever Jones
Whatever Jones rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2009
Mike Whistler
Mike Whistler rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2016
Katie Powell
Katie Powell rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2010
Worm
Worm rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2012
Alf Brand
Alf Brand rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Robert Boyd
Robert Boyd rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013
Brett
Oct 08, 2010 Brett rated it it was amazing
Tony Millionarie is a genius plain and simple.
Angela Boyle
Angela Boyle rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2011
Dane Martin
Dane Martin rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2010
David Gingrich
David Gingrich rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Colm Mccrory
Colm Mccrory rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Michael Stevens
Michael Stevens rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Tony Millionaire was born in Boston and grew up in Gloucester, Massachusetts, by the sea. He attended the Massachusetts College of Art for three and three quarters of a year and resigned.

He writes and draws the ongoing adventures of Sock Monkey, published by Dark Horse Comics since 1998.

He is the creator of the syndicated comic strip, Maakies, which has run in weekly newspapers across the country
More about Tony Millionaire...