Start by marking “That's What Friends Are For” as Want to Read:
That's What Friends Are For

That's What Friends Are For

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Why is Friend Pig crying? Goat isn't sure. Could he have fallen down thestairs and broken his leg? Could he have forgotten to turn off the shower and flooded the house? Could robbers have stolen his apple pie? Whatever it is, Goat has a way to fix it—after all, that's what friends are for!

In his trademark gentle watercolors,Valeri Gorbachev brings us another hilarious tale
Published June 16th 2005 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about That's What Friends Are For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's What Friends Are For

Vicki Kier
Jun 06, 2011 Vicki Kier rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-child
Pen-and-ink and watercolor drawings in soft, subdued colors beautifully accompany this heart-warming tale of the friendship between a goat and a pig. One morning, goat discovers through his open window that best friend pig is in tears. The remainder of the book draws listeners into goat's imagination as he considers increasingly unlikely explanations for his best friend's sorrow. It is goat's loving desire to cheer his friend that will touch readers' hearts. As well, the true reason for the tear ...more
Joanie
Nov 09, 2011 Joanie rated it really liked it
Goat sees Pig crying through his window and he can't help but wonder what horrible thing may have happened to his good ol' buddy. Goat assumes all these terrible situations and prepares himself to go care for Pig. Except, when Goat arrives he finds that Pig is not in trouble at all! I won't ruin the surprise but I will say that I laughed out loud at the end of this book; I read it to my first graders and they also thought it was hilarious. I used this book for a sequencing lesson and it turned o ...more
Andrew Schoenfelder
This book was very visual with large pictures on both sides of every page. The text was appropriate size on the page and consistently on the same side. Bright colors overpowered the book and made viewing the pictures a priority. I like on the cover how the title is written like it would be a child’s handwriting. The characters and setting is cartoon like images which are always fun for kids. The images take up majority of the page providing every page with some clutter and no empty space.
Amanda
Feb 19, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
The Brothers
Mar 05, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A really cute story of a goat who sees his neighbor-friend pig crying. He runs through a bunch of different scenarios that could have caused his friend to cry and comes up with a way to help him out in each case. If only real-life were more like this story!

Fun illustrations.
Christiana Tarpley
Sep 27, 2011 Christiana Tarpley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship
Wonderful book to teach children how to be great friends to one another. I would really only use this book for that subject because it really is ideal for this purpose. The characters are wonderful friends to each other!
Molly
Jan 04, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it
Given that onion tears are an almost nightly occurrence around our house, I loved the twist! As with all Gorbachev books (at least that I've read), the illustrations are wonderful and the characters are caring.
Julia
Fun read-aloud book where goat overreacts to seeing his buddy crying and anxiously works to correct every problem he might be crying over. Great friendship story.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jul 26, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
While this is a short and silly little tale, the message of friendship is very good. Goat sees pig crying and things of all the ways he might cheer him up.
Lara
Sep 06, 2012 Lara rated it liked it
Another Pig & Goat book of friendship. There are several examples of Goat predicting what has Pig in tears to find out it's not as bad as Goat had imagined.
Catriona Rogers
Dec 30, 2010 Catriona Rogers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-children
Wonderful book about friendship. One of my niece's favorites.
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
susan nolan
susan nolan rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Ky Adams
Ky Adams rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Diego Ortiz
Diego Ortiz rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Gladis
Gladis marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Emily Myhren
Emily Myhren rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Aurelie Reis
Aurelie Reis rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
A Book To Share .
A Book To Share . marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Aiyah
Aiyah added it
May 22, 2015
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Anika Diaz Casañas
Anika Diaz Casañas marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Emigrated to the US from Ukraine in 1991, along with his wife and two children. Currently lives in Brooklyn
More about Valeri Gorbachev...