That's What Friends Are For

That's What Friends Are For

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Why is Friend Pig crying? Goat isn't sure. Could he have fallen down thestairs and broken his leg? Could he have forgotten to turn off the shower and flooded the house? Could robbers have stolen his apple pie? Whatever it is, Goat has a way to fix it—after all, that's what friends are for!

In his trademark gentle watercolors,Valeri Gorbachev brings us another hilarious tal...more
Published June 16th 2005 by Philomel

Vicki Kier
Pen-and-ink and watercolor drawings in soft, subdued colors beautifully accompany this heart-warming tale of the friendship between a goat and a pig. One morning, goat discovers through his open window that best friend pig is in tears. The remainder of the book draws listeners into goat's imagination as he considers increasingly unlikely explanations for his best friend's sorrow. It is goat's loving desire to cheer his friend that will touch readers' hearts. As well, the true reason for the tear...more
Joanie
Goat sees Pig crying through his window and he can't help but wonder what horrible thing may have happened to his good ol' buddy. Goat assumes all these terrible situations and prepares himself to go care for Pig. Except, when Goat arrives he finds that Pig is not in trouble at all! I won't ruin the surprise but I will say that I laughed out loud at the end of this book; I read it to my first graders and they also thought it was hilarious. I used this book for a sequencing lesson and it turned o...more
Andrew Schoenfelder
This book was very visual with large pictures on both sides of every page. The text was appropriate size on the page and consistently on the same side. Bright colors overpowered the book and made viewing the pictures a priority. I like on the cover how the title is written like it would be a child’s handwriting. The characters and setting is cartoon like images which are always fun for kids. The images take up majority of the page providing every page with some clutter and no empty space.
Amanda
Christiana Tarpley
Wonderful book to teach children how to be great friends to one another. I would really only use this book for that subject because it really is ideal for this purpose. The characters are wonderful friends to each other!
Molly
Given that onion tears are an almost nightly occurrence around our house, I loved the twist! As with all Gorbachev books (at least that I've read), the illustrations are wonderful and the characters are caring.
Julia
Fun read-aloud book where goat overreacts to seeing his buddy crying and anxiously works to correct every problem he might be crying over. Great friendship story.
Mandy Hoffman
While this is a short and silly little tale, the message of friendship is very good. Goat sees pig crying and things of all the ways he might cheer him up.
Lara
Another Pig & Goat book of friendship. There are several examples of Goat predicting what has Pig in tears to find out it's not as bad as Goat had imagined.
Catriona Rogers
Wonderful book about friendship. One of my niece's favorites.
E
E added it
Jul 13, 2014
Tonmoyphukan
Tonmoyphukan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
W
W added it
Nov 24, 2013
Angie
Angie added it
Aug 14, 2013
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Emily Farley
Emily Farley marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Emigrated to the US from Ukraine in 1991, along with his wife and two children. Currently lives in Brooklyn
More about Valeri Gorbachev...
Turtle's Penguin Day How to Be Friends with a Dragon Christopher Counting Shhh! Red Red Red