Start by marking “Sweet Caroline” as Want to Read:
Sweet Caroline

Sweet Caroline (Beaufort #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,026 ratings  ·  77 reviews
When a Southern waitress inherits the Lowcountry cafe where she works, she suddenly has to balance more than just her next food order.Caroline Sweeney has always done the right thing--the responsible, dependable thing--unlike her mother who abandoned her family. But when her best friend challenges her to accept an exciting job adventure in Barcelona, Spain, Caroline says y ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 407 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Center Point (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Caroline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Caroline

Michelle
I wasn't sure what to expect with this story. At first I thought it would be a straight chick lit, and in some ways it was. However, Sweet Caroline touched me in a deeper place than most lits do. I actually got choked up a few times. I rarely do these days. There were some very funny moments, some truly enjoyable girl times, and some romantic interludes that sizzled and popped. Best of all, though, was a spiritual awakening and a discovery of one's place in this world that was breathtaking and y ...more
Margaret
May 31, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone making tough life choices in need of some guidance
Recommended to Margaret by: CFBA
Sweet Caroline is quite the book, and she is quite the person. She is a normal human being, in a normal life. Tough decisions need to be made, and only Christ knows if she is making the right choices. This book grips your heart and doesn't let it go. I love it from the heart-head-ear conversations to the screaming in my head what I thought she should do. :) This story of a girl in her late twenties growing up is something that anyone could benefit from reading. Caroline's situations remind me of ...more
Candice
I LOVED this book! I, literally, laughed out loud in at least every chapter. The main character was hilarious. I have to admit though, the surprise ending threw me for a loop. The ending was satisfying, all loose ends were tied by the last page, but I'm dying to know what becomes of the characters next. Maybe it mentions this in "Love begins with Elle"? I will have to read it to see. :)
Kristen
2 1/2 Stars -

Very slow start for me...picked up a little in the middle-end.

I don't know if it the kindle version (probably), but it was very confusing at times. We would be in one place with characters talking, then all of the sudden in the next joining paragraph we are in a totally different situation... The Christian aspects were a little too preachy.

Romance was a little weak, didn't give a good happy concluding ending, don't know if this is going to be a sequel or not...just ok for me.

Mora
Deanna
Cute at times, but just to over the top for me. The main character has to choose between two completely hot guys who are after her (one a famous country star). Also whether she should take a job with the Donald Trump of Europe who thinks she's wonderful, despite the fact that she has no experience, education, foreign travel background, connections or even lived out on her own, or stay and own her own business that she received for free and starts doing great under her Midas touch.
Jaclyn
This book was a good distraction for me when I needed a fast, easy read. Caroline is a people pleaser who can't say no to anyone, and always puts off her own plans and dreams for others. Now she's been offered the opportunity of a lifetime, a job in Barcelona with one of her best friends. The only problem is: she's just inherited the Cafe she used to work for, and her long time love is back in town. Will Caroline finally put herself first? And what does that mean exactly?
Nancy H Vest
Even though this is categorized as a romance, I didn't see it as one. To me, it was a story of a woman facing some difficult choices. The ending was not what I was expecting, but it was believable and left several possibilities open for what could happen next.

The story is told with a single POV and it is told in present tense. I liked that! It's different!
Chesney
I liked the book. Great characters and I love that is has a South Carolina feel. I was disappointed in the end though. It left you you hanging and I didn't like it.
Cathy Daniel
What an amazing, wonderful book! I cried and laughed ( the racing scene was hysterical to me lol) I can't wait to read book #2!
Jenny
Fantastic!!! funny love story and friendship too. And let's not forget car naming. Great Novel I love her!!
Cookielover
Perfect mix of something totally more than sweet. I loved the characters and everything.
Tina
Stacy
This is a nice story that feels like the South Carolina low country it is set in. The writing was good and kept me reading into the night. There were many storylines woven together with real skill. The finding God storyline was one that I found moving without being preachy. That being said, some things were a little too good. I’ve never had a car dealer make a deal with me and then throw in an extra $1000 because he thinks I’m a good person and I know there are many virgins in their late 20′s, b ...more
Melanie
This is not your normal Christian Romane novel and I have to admit that I was not too happy with the book at the beginning. With two gorgeous men chasing after Caroline, I couldn't seem to relate to her. However the further I got into the book the more I realized how "human" she was.

She wasn't a Christian and she didn't even desire to come to know God at all. The author didn't even mention God fully until further into the book... something I am not sure if I like or not. I suppose it is a diffe
Tammy
The writing was good, but I wouldn't call it a romance. I didn't care much for either of Caroline's boyfriends. The best part was the reference to the song, Sweet Caroline, as well as several movie references like Back to the Future, etc. the biggest turn off was the use of an obvious reference to Jane Austen, but her name was spelled wrong, not once but several times! That was so lame.
Malynda
Sweet Caroline started off slow, and then got much better. Caroline Sweeney’s life changed dramatically after a man died, and anyone who has ever had to seek answers to life’s most important questions and make life-altering decisions will enjoy reading Caroline’s story. At first, I was on the fence about this book, and then, as I continued to read, I started to see a lot of myself in Caroline. I could not believe all of the decisions she had to make, and I empathized with her every time. Just wh ...more
Erin
Caroline was someone I could really relate to, seeing as we are both 20-somethings who seemingly have put our own lives on 'hold' in order to focus on helping others. When Caroline is suddenly faced with several life-altering choices she must seek guidance from the Lord in order to make the best decision. It took me a while to understand why she ends up choosing the one that she does, but that's because it is a deep decision which I would have wrestled over myself. While I'm not sure I would hav ...more
Tiffyd
Spoiler Alert***
I want to give this five stars because the story was cute and well written but when I read an uplifting romance I want the hero and heroine to end up together!! Why didn't Mitch wait for Caroline?
Anomis
It didnt end like i wanted it to ... but it was still good and the more i think about it... ( yeah its one of those books that stays with you ) the more i like the ending ... cant wait to get my hands on the next book.
Jennifer Keller
I really liked the story. Some of the coming to a knowledge of God parts were a bit unrealistic and slightly off putting. I thought the characters were interesting. I enjoyed the romance as well.
Michelle
Melanie
I will not be continuing with this book since it is written in first person. I LOVE this author, but I can not stand first person narratives.
Just - The romance reader
I've read this book twice and counting and loved it even more the second time around than I did the first. The entire series is great and this is definitely one of my favorite books, possibly only second to the second book in this series, Love Starts With Elle. Caroline is such a wonderful characters and the supporting characters in the book really just add to the story in a wonderful way. I wish we saw Mitch as more of a main character, but if he were then it wouldn't be the same story. I can o ...more
Rachel
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did the first Rachel Hauck book I read - Once Upon a Prince by Rachel Hauck . Part of it had to do with the editing for the kindle edition. The paragraphs ran into one another and there were a bunch of words hyphenated that didn't need to be. That being said, it was still a good book with some good twists and turns. The ending threw a curve ball that I hope will be resolved in the next book. I liked it enough that I would read the second book if I got a chance to get it cheap. :)
Alexia
I was surprised how much I liked this book. It was very different from The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck. There were very humorous times, Southern love and food, and God was a very powerful theme, which I really respected and adored about this book. I plan on reading the other books in the series. I'm interested to read about Elle because my personality is similar to hers. I wish more was described with the 2 male characters. I didn't really get much of a view inside their heads. I was pretty surprised with the ending.
Kelsey Williams
It was good! The ending was a little *ahem* disappointing. But it was a good read.
Jolee
Golly. Hm....well...Genre romance is not my schtick...and this definitely was that. It certainly was engaging enough that I wasn't forced to projectile it across the room (how's that for positive review?!? ), so I think that means it was a FINE example of the genre, for folks who LIKE romances. Also, a bit hard to swallow (the innocence of some of the characters) , but refreshingly so, not coyingly so. Bottom line: I would recommend this strongly to folks who like romances and Christian fiction, ...more
Jane Newey
A great story. Was a bit dubious as I have not read any Christian fiction for a while, but great characters and a good plot
Melissa
I really enjoyed reading "Sweet Caroline". I was mad when J.D. Rand cheated on Caroline. I was happy when Mitch and Caroline friendship blossomed again. I didn't agree with Caroline when she turned down Mitch's proposal. It seemed that he really cares about her and loves her very much. He was even willing to move to Barcelona, Spain to be with her. If a man was willing to move to be closer to me I would be willing to give him a chance.
Q&A with Rach...: is there more to the story? 2 7 Apr 29, 2013 12:14PM
  • Faking Grace
  • Only Uni
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Love Lifted Me (Songbird, #3)
  • Surrender Bay (Nantucket, #1)
  • Dreaming in Black & White
  • Save the Date
  • My Foolish Heart (Deep Haven, #4)
  • She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale, #2)
  • Stand-In Groom (Brides of Bonneterre #1)
  • Million Dollar Dilemma
RITA finalist and award winning author Rachel Hauck writes from sunny central Florida.

With strong southern stories, she infuses faith and real life into the lives of her fictional characters.

Rachel loves to encourage new writers and is the book therapist for My Book Therapy and writing community founded by
Susan May Warren.

Rachel graduated from Ohio State University with a BA in Journalism. She'
More about Rachel Hauck...
The Wedding Dress Once Upon a Prince (Royal Wedding, #1) Love Starts with Elle Princess Ever After (Royal Wedding, #2) Dining with Joy (Beaufort, #3)