Start by marking “The Pocket Book of Short Stories: American, English and Continental Masterpieces” as Want to Read:

A collection of 22 short stories by 22 masters of the short story: Ernest Hemingway; Stephen Vincent Benét; Dorothy Parker; Willa Cather; Sherwood Anderson; Katherine Mansfield; Thomas Mann; W. Somerset Maugham; Ring Lardner; Ivan Bunin; Saki (H.H. Munro); W.W. Jacobs; O. Henry; Anton P. Chekhov; Robert Louis Stevenson; Guy de Maupassant; Anatole France; Mark Twain; Bret H ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published 1953 by Pocket Books, Inc. (first published January 1st 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Book of Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Book of Short Stories

Jul 18, 2011 K. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Searching for short stories for our little once a week read-aloud sessions for a group of 8-14 year olds.

Many of these stories are really bad. It makes me sad that people out there could really be so very miserable.

However, some of my favorites:

-The Devil & Daniel Webster by Stephen Vincent Benet--love the writing in this story
-Tobermory by Saki (too old for the kids, but absolutely hilarious!)
-The Necklace by Maupassant--heartbreaking but applicable
-The Luck of Roaring Camp by Harte
Charles Puskas
May 03, 2016 Charles Puskas rated it really liked it
A small, handy pocket-book collection of 22 good short stories by 22 great masters of the genre: probing the human psyche in "The Darling" of the brilliant Anton Chekhov, the hilarious tale by Saki (H.H. Munro); a scary short by the masterful Edgar Allan Poe; precarious relationship entanglements in Katherine Mansfield; the intense "The Killers" by Ernest Hemingway; a German family between two wars in Thomas Mann; a scandalous missionary tale by W. Somerset Maugham; an ode to man and beast in Ho ...more
Oct 14, 2016 N rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1) "'Pressed or not, you shall not have this man!' he thundered. 'Mr. Stone is an American citizen, and no American citizen may be forced into the service of a foreign prince. We fought England for that in '12 and we'll fight all hell for it again!'
'Foreign?' said the stranger. 'And who calls me a foreigner?'
'Well, I never yet heard of the dev---of your claiming American citizenship,' said Dan'l Webster with surprise.
'And who with better right?' said the stranger with one of his terrible smiles.
J. Alfred
May 25, 2012 J. Alfred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little concerned to note that this didn't have any Flannery O'Connor stories in it, but with a teeny bit of research found out that it was published just a few years after her death. This is a wonderful little book, full of great stories--fun, famous ones like "The Devil and Dan'l Webster" and "Tobermory," and deep, powerful ones like Sherwood Anderson's "Seeds." It utilizes the very cool strategy of presenting its stories in reverse chronilogical order, which makes for interesting readi ...more
Aug 15, 2014 Regine rated it it was amazing
It helps me finish my assigment
Jul 14, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spears' collection of short stories represents a fair overview of several master works: Rain by Maugham, Bliss by Porter, Jumping Frog by Twain. I read and re-read some of these stories to give me ideas as to how authors select their materials, how to acquire cadence, forming a voice. Writers have to study the works of those who come before them. This is a good book to start if you haven't already. To me, the short story is superior to the novel as a prose form for modern readers.
Oct 01, 2010 Jade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not designed as a "best of" collection of stories but rather as a sampling from Continental, English, and American writers. I probably most enjoyed Dorothy Parker's "Big Blonde." Although the stories span a time period of 100 years, the most recent are set in 1950s New York. This collection is a fine representation of the masters of the short story up to 1969 although it may not contain your particular favorites from these authors.
Aug 05, 2011 Chicca rated it it was amazing
This was the most beautiful collection of short stories, one from all the greats, with a wonderful range from horror to lyrical romance to mystery. My favourite story was easily the one by Honore de Balzac, titled 'A Passion in the Desert,' about a man lost in the desert and his unlikely affair with a female panther. I highly recommend this collection, which is easy to start and stop reading whenever you choose.
Jul 05, 2007 Cody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There isn't a great deal to say about this book. It is a collection of American, British and Continental short stories and apparently is out of print. That seems likely, considering how brittle my copy is. I suppose it is nothing terribly special, but it is something of an appetizer platter for many notable writers, from Balzac to Hemingway.
Apr 22, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: international
I read my grandmothers copy from 1941. I would carry it in my purse for whenever I was in a situation where I would have to wait and get bored. I loved it, a great collection from some excellent writers like Hemmingway, Edgar Allan Poe, Tolstoy, Anton Chekov, Mark Twain, Willa Cather, and many more.
Jun 26, 2012 Merry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some stories are intriguing and some better left behind. A dictionary is a must if you want to enjoy the scenes (those you're not familiar with).
Rob Jeffery
Jan 03, 2015 Rob Jeffery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book of short stories. Never underestimate the power of a short story.
Matt Murillo
Jul 14, 2013 Matt Murillo rated it it was amazing
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Ervy marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Bruce Dee
Bruce Dee marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Lily Esplago
Lily Esplago marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Danny marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
NIKKOEDUARTE marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Anah Mhae
Anah Mhae marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Neil Reyes
Neil Reyes marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Josh rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Cziane Aiva
Cziane Aiva marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Katherine marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jajem added it
Sep 12, 2016
Prima marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
  • The Penguin Guide to Punctuation
  • Whatever It Is, I Don’t Like It
  • Who Are We   And Should It Matter In The 21st Century?
  • 12 Books That Changed the World
  • A World Without Bees
  • The Road of Bones
  • Butterfly Summer
  • The Pocket Book of O. Henry Stories
  • To War with Whitaker: The Wartime Diaries of the Countess of Ranfurly, 1939-1945
  • The Biography of a Grizzly