Start by marking “How to Clean Your Room in 10 Easy Steps” as Want to Read:
How to Clean Your Room in 10 Easy Steps

How to Clean Your Room in 10 Easy Steps

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Got a messy room? No problem!

This simple, laugh-out-loud picture-book guide to cleaning your room is sure to make picking up a snap. Here is the first rule: Always wait until your mother hollers, "GET UP THERE AND CLEAN YOUR ROOM—NOW!" using all three of your names. Once she does, you'd better get moving. From dumping out drawers and dividing stuff into piles to arranging
Published May 11th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about How to Clean Your Room in 10 Easy Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Clean Your Room in 10 Easy Steps

Rhonda
What I thought was going to be a book to help my son find an easier way to clean his room proved to be just the opposite. It was a very humorous way a child who doesn't clean their room (Like my son) should clean a room. I laughed so much at this book but decided not to take it home. I didn't want to give my child any more ideas. Good book.
Paula Gallagher
"But my room isn't messy. I know exactly where everything is!" Huget and Koren are a perfect match for this so-painfully-true, funny book. Moms everywhere will laugh knowingly, as will their embarrassed (one would hope) daughters. Hurrah for the acknowledgement that girls can be just as messy as boys!
Lenna
The story was really cute, but I hated the style of illustration. I would have given it 4 or 5 stars if the pictures were easier to see and didn't look so jumbled up.
Amy
I never rate kids' books, but I had to on this one. I read it to my kids last night, and we were all laughing so hard! This book is so MY KIDS! It is funny...like Step 2 of How to Clean Your Room is to find a toy you forgot you had and play with it until your mom comes in to yell at you to keep cleaning. Story of my life :)
kim
Cute book. It was not at all what I expected. I was browsing ebooks from my library and saw this. I assumed it was geared towards tween, with advice on how to tackle cleaning a room. But it is a picture book, geared towards the early grades and it is FUNNY. Advising kids to shove everything under the bed, in the closet, etc. It reminds me a lot of How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up, though that one was geared towards adults! If you have small kids, they will enjoy ...more
My initial reaction to this book was 'ugh.' I don't really like books that undermine the lessons and ideas that we actually want our kids to learn. And How to Clean Your Room walks a very fine line. It's a *very* realistic portrayal of how one girl cleans her room. At the end, despite having pulled the wool over her mother's eyes, we can appreciate that the girl really does think she's done a great job cleaning up her room. Kids who are inspired will realize that our young room cleaner didn't do ...more
Kaethe
I was amused, as were both the girls. My favorite part was "arrange all your stuffed animals." Too true.

Library copy
Rebecca
This would be fun to read aloud to a K-2 classroom, but I suppose any kid would appreciate cleaning tips that involve stuffing everything in the closet and under the bed. It may just be Edward Koren's signature illustration style, but I was reminded of How to eat like a child.
Dolly
Jun 17, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, birthday, childrens, pets
This is a hilarious book - a child's perspective on cleaning her room. It brought back fond memories for me, doing the same things and needing to look at every thing before picking it up and putting it away. As a mom, I loved that it showed another mom getting frustrated at the lack of progress. We all were reassured that I'm not the only "mean" mom out there who makes her children pick up their messes.
Anne
Hilarious look at how to clean your room. (Hint: the messier the better!) This one had my co-worker and I laughing out loud at time as there are funny lines liberally scattered throughout the book.

Pictures are a bit rough about the edges, but the expressions on the faces of the stuffed animals and little sister are priceless.
Heidi
This wasn't awful, but parts of it made me cringe as to the humor. I can't really explain. I think some kids will love it. But in spite of how messy my room can be, it has never been THIS messy, or even this KIND of messy. And some of the steps while humorous also made me want to gag. But I suppose that's the point.
Marsha
I only ad picture books that get 5 stars and this one does for sure! A definate description of my daughter and the way she cleans her room. We all thought it was hilarious!! The step with the stuffed animals reminds me of most little girls but I think Laurel will believe it was written by Emma! WAY CUTE
Amar Pai
I don't know why I got this. It's a primer on how to resist cleaning up your room in in the most annoying ways possible. Half way through the book Izzy and I indignantly gave the androgynous protagonist a time-out. (for bad behavior)

The kid keeps decaying food in his/her room... that's just gross

Fabulous Classroom
I immediately grabbed this book when I saw it at the library because I have a VERY messy 6 year old! We really enjoyed reading this book together. There were quite a few parallels that she picked up on right away. The great pictures added to the fun. All in all, a great read!
Kim
The tongue-in-cheek humor will appeal to elementary students. The pen-and-ink and watercolor illustrations crackle with vitality, but the exuberant cross-hatching may make it hard for larger classes to really see the pictures clearly.
Catherine Austen
This book is spot on - it will reassure you that Saturday morning house-cleaning is an identical experiece for everyone with kids. Tongue-in-cheek story by Jennifer LaRue Huget and appropriately messy illustrations by Edward Koren.
Melissa Dragoo
One of the funniest picture books I've ever read. I don't know if I have ever laughed out loud so many times while reading a picture book. A must read for kids (and parents of such children) who have trouble keeping their room neat.
Marcia
Dec 14, 2010 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Heather
A humorous step-by-step guide to cleaning your messy room. Kids will enjoy it, and maybe it could be used in a lesson on sequencing. The illustrations are odd--they remind me of Quentin Blake's-- but they do add tot eh fun.
Kate Hastings
Jun 19, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades K-5
Parents-- be warned. This hilarious book "teaches" kids how to "clean" their room in some very realistic ways. You'll want to check under beds and in hampers/closets the next time your child cleans their room. Grades K-5.
Melanie
Not at all what I was expecting. I agree with the other reviewer -- I also dislike books that undermine lessons you try to teach your children. I also dislike the way the mother yells at the girl to clean her room.
Jj
Outstanding! I am not sure who will enjoy this book more, kids or the adults who are not their parents.
This would make an excellent addition to a clean/dirty storytime bibliography for slightly older kids.
Sherry
Young girl instructs you how to clean your room. Witty sarcasm, the usual kids' avoidance tactics and excuses, hiding and hoarding, and whimsical line illustration, make a very funny picture book.
Melissa
I don't think my 5.5 year old quite got all the humor about taking a really long time to clean your room, but he seemed to really enjoy the book anyway.
Mandy Peterson
Funny look at how many kids DO clean their rooms this way. Kids should immediately realize the book is being sarcastic and silly. I liked it. :)
Linda
Spurts of humor, but I found the illustrations a little fuzzy and hard to distinguish details. Loved the dust bunnies though!
Lupine
As a parent, I recognize this. I also recognize that, sometimes, this is the way I still clean my house. Made me laugh.
Angie
A little wordy for the picture book crowd ... but still a nice example of a "how to" essay. And funny ... SO TRUE.
Rachel
Feb 09, 2011 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Hi-lar-i-ous for anyone who's ever tried to get a preschooler to clean up. She gets it spot on.
Lesley
The illustrations were cute, and I could see where elementary readers could find this funny.
Karen
I enjoyed the text but the illustrations are hard on the eyes, at least on my over 40 eyes!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Beginner's Guide to Running Away from Home The Best Birthday Party Ever Thanks a LOT, Emily Post!