Start by marking “Quick Study (A Murder 101 Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Quick Study (A Murder 101 Mystery #3)

Quick Study (Murder 101 Mystery #3)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  713 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews

She thought that dating a good-looking cop would be exciting and involve lots of riding around in cruisers and putting away sleazy crooks. So why hasn’t NYPD officer Bobby Crawford ever invited English professor Alison on any high-speed car chases or stakeouts?

Life on the sleepy college campus just north of Manhattan may not have changed all that much with Alison’s new

Published November 3rd 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published December 9th 2008)

Lisa Daly
Good read 2nd half. Slow at the beginning. Couldn't figure out why she cared so much about victims when she had little relationship with them. Love Crawford though.
Cathi95
Oct 05, 2014 Cathi95 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
(Mystery, 2008) Found this on the ship as well. Allison cannot keep from following clues when she finds a mystery, much to the distress of her boyfriend, Bobby, and his fellow police. This is third in a series. I read the first portion of the story and stopped. The character is annoying, freely lies to those around her to follow her curiosity, causes trouble and harm to others as she goes. Eventually, since I had read everything else in the room, I finished the story. It was all right, but not o ...more
Bookworm1858
Summary: A young man has gone missing and his family asks Alison to look in to it knowing her connections to the police via boyfriend Bobby Crawford. Unfortunately he has been found dead and it's up to Alison and Crawford to solve the mystery behind his death.

Thoughts: I read this right after finishing the second book and I found it even choppier. I don't know why but it seemed to jump around a lot and left me rather unsatisfied.

The mystery as a whole was also unsatisfying. While I cared about t
Shonda
Jan 10, 2010 Shonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Quick Study is the third book in the Murder 101 Mystery Series featuring professor Alison Bergeron. While participating in community service (as a result of an incident that occurred in Extracurricular Activities, book two), Alison befriends Hernan and his family. Needing painting done in her home, Alison hires Hernan and his nephew Jose. When Jose goes missing, Hernan reluctantly seeks Alison’s help.

Little does Alison know her police detective boyfriend, Crawford, has been assigned to a John Do
Shannon
The third in the "Murder 101" series, Quick Study features Professor Allison Bergeron, her boyfriend, Detective Bobby Crawford, and a murder mystery. This time, a young immigrant has been murdered, and when the boy's uncle asks Allison to help solve the mystery, she's immediately on the case.

Barbieri writes a witty story, and I enjoy her style. The mysteries are simple - as a cozy should be - and the dialog is fun. After having read the first three books in this series, I'm a bit tired of Alliso
♥Jamie
Apr 28, 2013 ♥Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Barbieri has added yet another fantastic mystery to the Mystery 101 series. Quick Study contained a great mystery that kept me guessing until the very end.

Summary:
Alison Bergeron has a lot going on. It's her birthday, the Rangers are in the playoffs, she is navigating her still new relationship with Detective Bobby Crawford, and trying to dodge a new admirer's affection. Needless to say, she has no time for a murder or the sleuthing involved in solving it. Regardless, it's the nephew of a
Teena in Toronto
This is the third book in this series.

Alison is a prof at a Catholic university. She stumbles into situations that wouldn't happen to anyone else. The rest of us would walk away. Instead she charges in to solve the problem.

This time she is trying to solve the murder of Jose, a fella she knows from the soup kitchen she volunteers at once a week. Even though her cop boyfriend tells her to back off and someone is leaving her threatening notes, she still tries to find out what happened.

Jack McManus,
Sheryl
Apr 08, 2011 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, kindle
Although I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as the first 2 in the series, I still thought it was a lot of fun and definitely worth reading. I am looking forward to reading book 4 in the series.

A note on the Kindle edition: Terrible formatting! I seriously considered returning it but since I really, really wanted to read it on Kindle I just put up with it. First off, the font was strange (different from the standard Kindle book font). I had to increase the font size to read it, but increasin
Renee
Feb 26, 2016 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am so, so glad that I finally started reading this series again. I read the first book in the series -- Murder 101 many, many years ago (2006) and enjoyed it quite a bit. I couldn't read more books in the series because, at that point, there weren't any!

I suppose I should cut myself some slack about not following Barbieri and keeping up more closely because of various Major Life Events. And, honestly, the pleasure of rediscovering her now is pretty darned enjoyable.

It's hard to understand how
Dharia Scarab
Didn't like this one as much as the first, the main character was very annoying. Won't be continuing the series.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't
Becky
Jan 03, 2016 Becky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I should have abandoned it right away, but I love her characters. This time, everyone acted and reacted the exact same way as her other two books I read. I didn't care about the mystery, and I only laughed out loud once. DULL, uninteresting, and all around terrible.
Italy
Mar 02, 2015 Italy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book--too much language and "other stuff" for me. I read about three or four chapters and was actually enjoying the story, it was easy reading and kind of fun, but I don't need all the extras.
Sharon
May 10, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable book in the series. As part of a community service assignment Alison must work at a soup kitchen and meets some needy individuals. She hires a man and his nephew to paint in her house; the nephew ends up missing and then found dead near a luxury condo development. Alison gets involved in trying to find the killer, much to the disdain of her detective boyfriend, and ends up getting involved in some tricky situations. Lots of funny parts in the book, SPOILER??? such as Alison try ...more
Julia
Professor Alison Bergeron once again makes the life of a college professor look very interesting indeed. She finally meets her detective boyfriend's daughters, still dodging her priest's gorgeous brother and pulling another Nancy Drew-like mystery during her busy days. Alison meets a family from Ecuador while serving Sunday dinners at a local church. When nephew Jose comes up missing, Alison turns to boyfriend Crawford for some assistance. Jose has turned up dead and now the family patriarch is ...more
Terry
Professor Alison Bergeron is a devout NY Rangers fan, dates a local policeman, teaches English at a small Catholic college in NYC, and is very funny. This was my first read--and the book just got funnier (laugh out loud) as I went along--and this is the 3rd book in the series. Must re-visit. Love the dog, the academic setting (nuns and all), the self-deprecating humor (probably helps that Alison is tall), and the topical issues (in this case, green cards). Good cozy. Easy to recommend. Barbieri ...more
Doree Burt
I blindly checked this out from the library list of new books. Based on the title, I thought it was going to be a guide to murder/forensics. I'm in the process of researching good ways to kill people--so I thought this would be a good reference book. It's bad chick-lit, bad mystery, bad dialog, bad characters, just bad all around. I kept plugging away (needing a distraction from the emotionally charged Algernon) but couldn't take it any more. I don't know who-done-it and I don't care. This is go ...more
Ron Nurmi
book 3 in A Murder 101 Mystery series. Alison tries to help a family find out what happened to a nephew.
Kim Territo
Apr 14, 2014 Kim Territo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Working my way through this series and loving it!!!
HeatherH
Oct 07, 2009 HeatherH rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-book-list
Quick Study is the third book in a series by Maggie Barbieri.

Alison Bergerson has been assigned to work in the Heaven's Bounty soup kitchen for community service(for a crime committe in the previous book). One day one of the regulars turns up dead.

Alison takes it upon herself to find out who killed him and why. Along the way, she finds herself in heaps of trouble, with the police, her boyfriend and even the FBI.

I would recommend this book for someone looking for a lite mystery and a little roman
Anna Renee
Apr 15, 2016 Anna Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick, easy read.
Mary Z : )
May 25, 2014 Mary Z : ) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Love this series, and can't wait to read more. The characters are colorful and quirky and imperfectly human. It's pure brain candy for me (a good thing - delicious entertainment with zero calories!).
Nancy
Allison is doing community service and meets a group of immigrants from Ecuador. One goes missing and is found dead. The uncle is accused and Allison hides him in the convent. The murdered man was issuing fake green cards for workers on a real estate development and the woman in charge, girlfriend of the developer, kills him because he wants a larger cut. Allison and Max are head hostage, but get free. Max's marriage is in trouble.
LInda L
Mar 07, 2016 LInda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little mystery -- light and entertaining.
Mindy
Jun 10, 2009 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Barbieri is a tough woman who duked it out with cancer and won. Instead of folding inside of herself, she chose to live outward, which included writing wonderful mysteries for us to read. She writes about the serious situations in life with a sense of humor using Alice Bergeron, an English professor in a small Catholic college. A woman I admire and an author I love to read.
Susan
Jan 01, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-academic
Professor Alison Bergeron is doing community service, serving dinners at a church, and befriends a family of undocumented aliens. When the nephew of the family is murdered, and the father disappears, Alison decides to "help" her policeman boyfriend investigate. Could Jose's death be connected to his work on a new condo development along the Hudson River?
Jenny
Sep 04, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
After reading two books that seemed to take themselves way too seriously, I wanted a book that was the exact opposite. This series isn't perfect but it's solid and I like that the protagonist is not only an amateur sleuth but also a college English professor. The only thing missing is an awesome academic librarian.
Nora-adrienne
Feb 14, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, mystery
Maggie Barbieri's book just get better and better. Quick Study is the third book in her Murder 101 series and this time out Alison, Max and Det. Crawford are in it up to their eyeballs. I started this book at 6pm this evening and put it down, finished at 1245 pm. That's how enthralling it was.
Georgene
Dec 15, 2013 Georgene rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A blurb on the cover describes this book as "reminiscent of (Janet Evanovich's) Plum series. Maybe. It's not bad, but not nearly as good as the early books in the Plum series.

It's a decent story, but not great. Not a complete waste of time. I think I've just damned this book with faint praise.
Dec 30, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third book in a lighthearted mystery series involving a female English professor at a small Catholic college & her NYPD boyfriend. Poker-playing-ancient-nuns, martinis, a dead body or two, with just the right amount of romance.
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Knock 'em Dead (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #2)
  • To Catch a Leaf (A Flower Shop Mystery, #12)
  • Swift Justice (A Charlie Swift Mystery #1)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • Not One Clue (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #6)
  • Murder on the Eightfold Path (Mantra for Murder, #3)
  • Death Without Tenure (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #6)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)
  • Makeovers Can Be Murder (A Fat City Mystery, #3)
  • Deadly Forecast (Psychic Eye Mystery, #11)
  • Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #2)
202369
Maggie Barbieri is the author of the Murder 101 series, which is comprised of Murder 101 (2006); Extracurricular Activities (2007), Quick Study (2008), Final Exam (2009) and Third Degree (due November 2010.) She lives in the New York metro area/Hudson Valley with her husband, and two children. By day she's a writer and editor of college textbooks. She is currently at work on the sixth book in the ...more
More about Maggie Barbieri...

Murder 101 Mystery (7 books)
  • Murder 101 (A Murder 101 Mystery, #1)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery, #4)
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery, #5)
  • Physical Education (A Murder 101 Mystery, #6)
  • Extra Credit (A Murder 101 Mystery, #7)