Start by marking “I Survived Auschwitz” as Want to Read:
I Survived Auschwitz

I Survived Auschwitz

I Survived Auschwitz was written by Krystyna Zywulska. Zywulska born in 1914 as Sonia Landau. During the German occupation of Poland, she was displaced with her Jewish family to the Warsaw Ghetto in 1941. She escaped from the Ghetto and became active in the Polish resistance movement. Under her new name, Zywulska, she was captured by the Nazis in 1943 and sent to ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by tCHu Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about I Survived Auschwitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Survived Auschwitz

yamiyoghurt
May 30, 2011 yamiyoghurt rated it liked it
Shelves: history
History books tell us that Hitler persecuted the Jews during WWII, but to read history in an emotionally detached factual recount is a lot less interesting than the autobiographies of the people involved.

"11 million people were killed during the Holocaust, of which 6 million were Jews." That is an interesting fact, but it is only through immersing ourselves into the life of one of these people that we can truly feel the enormity of the Holocaust. These were normal people that were removed from t
Ramya
Dec 02, 2016 Ramya rated it really liked it
Chilling! Brilliantly written even though there are a few grammatical errors. A first person account that describes life the way it was beyond those barbed wires that connected the den of hell and death by savages and monsters.
Karolina Brzuszek
Sep 13, 2016 Karolina Brzuszek rated it really liked it
An amazing personal account of what life was like in German occupied Poland, in Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp. I recently traveled to Poland and visited the Auschwitz site (my second time), during which I purchased this book. Walking through the camp, understanding I stood on a massive grave site, listening to the guide explain daily tortures that occurred, pointing out the gallows, the cell blocks; I was filled with anger and sadness. This book reinforced those feelings. Reading ...more
Barbra
Oct 07, 2009 Barbra rated it liked it
A harrowing book but one that needs to be read.

Back Cover Blurb:
There is a danger that we shall forget those things which are better not forgetten. Certainly, some things should be permanently recorded, so that posterity will remember what we would rather erase from our memories.
This is the story of a woman who was imprisoned for some years in the notorious extermination camp of Auschwitz. What she saw puts the story of medieval genocides into the same category as a child's cruelty.
This is her o
Tiina
Nov 20, 2012 Tiina rated it liked it
It's impossible to rate a book like this, to say whether I liked it, loved it or hated it. It's a terrible true story about concentration camps and people dying everywhere, there is nothing likable in it, but at the same time you really begin to understand what it is like to live when all you can see around you is death. I bought this book at the bookstore of the camp and I'm glad I did - more people should read about this time so as not to repeat the same mistakes.

It's not a literary masterpie
Sheila Callahan
Apr 18, 2011 Sheila Callahan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Strangely, the author never mentions that she is Jewish, and it's easy to assume that she was one of many Christian Poles sent to a concentration camp. We bought this book at the Auschwitz book store, mostly because our friend published it, but I found it to be very different from other Holocaust literature.
Nada
Oct 18, 2011 Nada rated it really liked it
I read the simplified Dutch version of this book. Was wondering all the time how can a person's live be so tough. I was happily surprised that he survived not only the Nazi, but also the communist and lived a peaceful life in the end.
Ieva
Jan 22, 2014 Ieva rated it really liked it
I must agree with the poeple who say that you cannot rate a book like this. Yes, literally wasn't the best writing, but it gave a glimpse what they were experiencing there in Auschwitz, and I need to now my past also.
Bianca Roshel-duval
Mar 23, 2013 Bianca Roshel-duval rated it did not like it
Written by a person who was at the camp, processing people coming in for death from her office. The author writes of her ordeal of having to watch people die, expecting to emote sympathy from the reader. One of the worst autobiographies I have read.
Tania Easton
Jul 29, 2011 Tania Easton rated it it was amazing
This is a must read so we don't forget and our children don't forget and there children dont forget ..
Mikko
Sep 28, 2015 Mikko rated it really liked it
Mielenkiintoinen tarina yhden naisen elämästä Auschwitzin keskitysleirillä. Paljon kauheuksia, mutta myös paljon odottamatonta inhimillisyyttä toivottomista olosuhteista huolimatta. Worth reading.
Mihaela
Mihaela rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Alexia
Alexia rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Maria Hernandez
Maria Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Marina
Marina rated it it was ok
May 03, 2014
Bookworm19
Bookworm19 rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2012
Wishful Sinful
Wishful Sinful rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2010
Lampanaftova
Lampanaftova rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Shanna Rowekamp
Shanna Rowekamp rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Joann
Sep 19, 2010 Joann rated it liked it
It's hard to believe she ended up in Germany after all she went through.
Juan
Juan rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
jessie
jessie rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Darren-lee
Darren-lee rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Alex Sheldrake
Alex Sheldrake rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Amanda Lum
Amanda Lum rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Kostareva94
Kostareva94 rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2013
Bryson Manuel
Bryson Manuel rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Christine Bertolino
Christine Bertolino rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012