Start by marking “The Truth About Santa: Wormholes, Robots, and What Really Happens on Christmas Eve” as Want to Read:

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The How to Survive a Robot Uprising of Christmas: a dynamically illustrated, futuristic case for the scientific possibility that Santa Claus really exists.

We all know Santa Claus: fat, jolly, omniscient, swift. Lives in a nice home in the Arctic, with the missus and a pack of elves.

Well, forget what you know. Santa Claus is from Greenpoint, Brooklyn, as it turns out, and
Published October 27th 2009 by Bloomsbury USA (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Santa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Santa

Stephen
Do you have a science loving teen who does not believe in Santa Claus, and not just because s/he is too old? Perhaps they question how it all could happen in one night, all over the world, by just one fat man, and some amazing reindeer?

Then this is the book for you. Do you want to know the real reason there is an Elvis impersonator convention every year in Las Vegas? Santa's behind it.

Do you want to know what really happened at Tunguska, Siberia in 1908? Eight hundred square miles of trees were
Lynnea Taylor

For every true believer, this book not only confirms your beliefs, but it arms you to prove them. How many doubters have you met, spoiling the Christmas spirit during the holidays? How many times have you wanted more fire power than "He's magic"? Now you've got it. Full scientific mapping of the methods of Santa to make all his rounds in one night, including the sleigh's true fire power, Santa's assistants and their use of time travel and wormholes, as well as the true role of the elves. I would
Judy
Gregory Mone, please do not mess with my head about Santa. Everyone knows that he lives at the North Pole, he is assisted by elves, he has a magical sleigh and flying reindeer, and he visits every house on Christmas Eve to deliver gifts to those who are deserving--and a few who are not. I grew up years and years ago in Washington, D.C. and every Christmas Eve, and I mean every Christmas Eve, the newcasters showed the radar on the DEW Line--yes, that's how old I am--displaying a clear radar image ...more
Meaghan
This is a cute and amusing sci-fi take on Santa Claus. The author establishes how Santa knows what every child wants and delivers all the gifts in one night, and how he funds his operation. Mone, a science writer, explains the technology necessary for Santa to do what he does -- which is provided by aliens, of course. We humans have nowhere near the capabilities yet. But he also lets us know what humans are capable of doing, and the theories behind things like wormholes and hyperdrive sleigh eng ...more
Clare
This wonderfully witty and clever look at Santa is not only fun, but also covers quite a bit of territory. I'm amazed at what the author manages to fit into this look at the jolly old elf's operations. He covers a wide variety of topics, from blackholes and wormholes to hibernation to global warming, and, the Tunguska fireball event. There is quite a bit of science imbedded in this story, albeit briefly. Some of the advances in the scientific community mentioned are the Da Vinci system used for ...more
Nicole Romine
This novel initially has a witty, clever construct - using science to explain how Santa does his business. I, however, really struggled to get through the last half of the book. I think this was mostly because the delivery was the same every chapter: the author introduces a "magical" Christmas phenomenon, the author poses an interesting scientific explanation for this magic, then the author sites a bunch of studies from the early to mid 2000's to support his theory, and finally the author makes ...more
Nicolas Healey
I can't say I have any complaints about this book. Written as a fake non-fiction book, it is actually very funny, and what's even more crazy is that the guy makes sense. While not a story, per se, Gregory Mone really did his research in explaining how it really is theoretically possible that Santa is real. Yes, some of his reasoning relies on far fetched-theories of the barely possible, and far from plausible, they are still possible. And that's what makes it so enjoyable. This is not just some ...more
Charles M
A valuable addition to my personal library, Mone confirms several of my own long-held suspicions (particularly, The Big Man's employment of an obviously genius-level grasp of quantum physics, singularities, and so on, in completing his rounds both efficiently and secretly. I'd hypothesized some manipulation of space/time, but nothing like this) and explains a lot that I never even thought to ask about. A must-read for all cynics, skeptics, Scrooges and other assorted n'er-do-wells and an excelle ...more
Jessiqa
This is a fake history book in the vein of John Hodgman, i.e. very funny and told with an air of complete plausibility. However, there is quite a lot of not-made-up science involved. Not enough to makes one's head spin, but enough to make me wish there was a bibliography at the back so I could explore the articles the author read on human hibernation and organ printing. Be certain that once the holiday season rolls around next, I will be sharing these true facts on Santa with anyone who will lis ...more
Staff Favorites
Could Santa really do all he is rumoured to do? Sure, says Mone, with a little science and technology to help. With listening devices implanted in ornaments, he can tell who is naughty and nice. Wormholes in space make it possible to visit every house in the world in one night. And the reindeer are just cover for his warp-powered sleigh.

Drawing on the work of scientists and researchers, Mone gives us a whole new view of Santa and the possibilities of science in creating Christmas magic.
Amanda
This book was definitely something different. I liked the logic that the author used to "prove" that Santa is real. I thought the best part of the book was all of the new-ish scientific research that I had never heard of before. A printer that can print human organs?? I had to look that up to see if it was true. There were other interesting things too. It had a fun sense of humor to it but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had a deeper interest in physics/technology/etc.
Betsy
Mone intersperses cutting edge technology with a what if hypothesis of why it just might be true that Santa is responsible for all (or some) of those gifts under the Christmas tree. The text is engaging and might make some readers google some of the scientists, researchers and technology referred to by the author. I like the way Mone intersperses humor too. Some parts were laugh-out-loud funny. This slight book might be just the thing to engage a reluctant reader who is tech-minded.
Ownbymom Ownby
Gregory Mone is a contributing editor at Popular Science Magazine. This book lets people like me [who think that science is very cool but don't really understand it:] know what is new in scientific theory. Mone does this by discussing how Santa does what he does. Magic, Mone explains early on, is just science that hasn't yet been explained. In addition, the book is very funny. Chapter 24 is my favorite.
Anne
Disclaimer: I won this in a Goodreads giveaway!

I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, but it took me a LONG time to finish. It was hilarious - a total nerd book. But I feel like it could have been cut by at least a quarter (maybe more) and retained its charm.

Its perfect for any academics or scientists looking to talk to their kids about Santa.

Tyler
Dec 15, 2009 Tyler rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Some very funny parts and some interesting parts, but not as good as I thought it could be. The writing was a little dry and I found myself getting bored at times. I found it better when I read it in small parts rather than for an extended period of time. Worth a read, but not worth buying (so get goodreads to give it to you, like I did).
Adam
Spencer
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This is sort of a "science of ..." type book, but unlike most of those, this assumes Santa Claus is real. I loved that Mone's intended audience is clearly adults and not children.

Sometimes this The Truth about Santa was too clever for itself. However it's a fun read for those Holiday plane trips.
J.M.
A whimsical spin on the legend of Santa Claus, using recent technological advances and science fiction to make the case for Santa's reality. While neat in theory, I really couldn't read much of it, but I can understand how it would appeal to other spec-fi fans.
Kathryn
Summary: Santa - he's mysterious, endowed by aliens, and coming to your house via wormhole!

Review: It was interesting for the first 50 or so pages. Then I forced myself through the next 50 or so pages. Then I just skimmed the last 50. Seriously, enough, sir.
Jan 24, 2012 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Very creative and insightful! Can be a bit complex when discussing the particulars of time-travel and wormholes. However, when not being too technical, this is an amusing and entertaining book.
Jerrilynn Lilyblade
Nov 07, 2011 Jerrilynn Lilyblade marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
KRB
Very entertaining and imaginative. However, it was overwhelmingly detailed and hard to get through.
Heather
Creative and well-researched, but a bit boring. On the bright side, though, I met my Goodreads goal!
Abraham Ray
nice Christmas book!
poshpenny
Amusing, but too many aliens.
Samuel
Entertaining
Adrienne Girard
Kevin Ruettiger
Kevin Ruettiger marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Grant Figura
Grant Figura marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Physics of Christmas: From the Aerodynamics of Reindeer to the Thermodynamics of Turkey
  • A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
  • Insults and Comebacks for All Occasions (Lines for All Occasions)
  • Mirror Earth: The Search for Our Planet's Twin
  • Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd
  • Dumbheart: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Toddlers Are A**holes: It's Not Your Fault
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • The Kid Table
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Do Monsters Wear Undies?
  • The Devil's Diaries
  • Feeding Eden: The Trials and Triumphs of a Food Allergy Family
  • Another Bad-Dog Book: Tales of Life, Love, and Neurotic Human Behavior
  • A Question of Manhood
  • The Official Filthy Rich Handbook
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • Mamba Point
Fish Dangerous Waters: An Adventure on the Titanic The Wages of Genius Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths of Introverts The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks: The Young Reader's Edition