Start by marking “Short Squeeze: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Short Squeeze: A Mystery

Short Squeeze: A Mystery (Jackie Swaitkowski #1)

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The outside world thinks living in the Hamptons requires a Bentley, a face-lift, and a shingle-style home the size of Buckingham Palace. The truth is a lot more complicated than that. Dig a little deeper and you're as likely to find a saint--or a Mensa genius--as you are a deviant or certified nut job lurking right below the surface.

I know this because these are my beloved
Published January 19th 2010 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Short Squeeze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Squeeze

Phaedrus
May 28, 2010 Phaedrus rated it liked it
I bought this book because I had read and enjoyed all of Chris Knopf's "Sam Acquilo" mysteries up to this point. However, this isn't a Sam Acquillo mystery. The main character and narrator in this novel is Sam's brassy, pot-smoking lawyer friend, Jackie Swaitkowski. Sam has only a bit part. While Jackie was an interesting character in the early books, I didn't find her as interesting as a main character. I will probably still read Knopf's books in which Sam Acquillo is the main character, but I ...more
Alicia
Apr 19, 2010 Alicia rated it it was ok
I am not sure if it was the continuous use of the volunteer at a library being called a librarian or constant references to the main character smoking pot but this book got annoying and repetitive after awhile. I just wanted to say okay, we get it. You have created quirky pot smoking character. Let's move on already.
Alice
Nov 20, 2014 Alice rated it it was ok
Dedication -- None of my favorite female friends were spared in the making of this book. You know who you are.

Dorothy Parker -- The cure for boredom is curiosity.
There is no cure for curiosity.

Short Squeeze pg 49-- Not when you're caught in a short squeeze, he said. When you short a stock, you bet on it going own.
pg 190 -- Short sellers were a natural and legal cog in the financial machine, but it was hard to like them any more than you like carrion bird cleaning roadkill off the highway
pg 242 p
William
Sep 03, 2015 William rated it liked it
Not much to say that other reviewers have not already covered. Knopf is a fine writer and a fun read, and this is for the most part no exception. I agree that Jackie is not somehow as effective a literary character as Sam Acquillo, though I have read a later "Jackie" which develops her more fully than this one does.

The plot is bizarre, a bit convoluted and decidedly grisly. Normally, I resist books characterized by the last two adjectives. But, hey!, this is one inventive plot, and the grisly st
Kristin
Fuzzy, inconsistent characters and a far-fetched mystery make Short Squeeze a puzzling read.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Lisa
Feb 28, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Chris Knopf starts off in a different direction with a new lead character - female Long Island attorney Jackie Swaitkowski. For those who may be mourning the absence of Sam, who is the lead in Knopf's earlier mysteries, fear not. He makes for a charming supporting character here, as Jackie's friend and ally. Jackie is a real pistol - funny, flawed and refreshingly original. She probably drinks and smokes pot a little too much more than is good for her, but a girl's gotta have some fun, right? Th ...more
Steve
Nov 30, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing
Chris Knopf is such a good writer he doesn't have to call attention to it, so some people don't notice. But he writes great loopy dialogue with intelligent--albeit vaguely sociopathic--characters who actually listen to each other and give off great witty repartee.

He also plots subtly, complexly, and well. The characters are so interesting that you don't notice his plotting at first, but this book highlights all his usual strengths.

Hamptons lawyer Jackie Swaitkowski, a supporting character in Kno
Austen Heim
Sep 22, 2014 Austen Heim rated it liked it
Not my favorite Chris Knopf, but I must admit I really like all of his work. Full disclosure growing up in Amagansett I have a certain soft spot for his asides about the east end. Also, he always does an excellent job of developing his characters and, if I may be trite, keeping you guessing. It was a good tale, but not his best work. Maybe it was that I did not connect with Jackie they way I have with Sam. Certainly worth reading, though not where i would start.
Sean Cronin
Jun 07, 2011 Sean Cronin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Myatery fans, literate; humor
Chris Knopf is known for the Hamptons Mystery series featuring (and narrated by) ex-boxer, MIT grad, engineer, executive, beach bum Sam Aquillio.
Now Knopf gives us another terrific amateur detective, Jackie Swaitkoski. She's smart, tough (to a point), dogged. She likes retails therapy. Her legal practice in the exclusive enclave of the Hamptons mixes real estate, civil and criminal for decent losers and anything else she can scrape up.
Knopf is known for his humor, gained from compassionate obser
John
I liked Jackie more than I thought I might, though she does seem slightly different from the Sam Acquillo series to me, somewhat less ditzy. I had thought the book couldn't stand on its own, but I think it does, although it helps to read the second Sam book as her injuries were more serious than one might get from reading this one. Story got a bit convoluted towards the end, and I felt the gratuitous violence of the first Sam story creeping in, especially in Jackie's nasty tone. Still, I can rec ...more
Dave
Jan 02, 2016 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-read
More fun mixed with mystery/suspense from Knopf's loosely connected characters in a gentrified resort area where so many killings occur.
Lee
Jun 02, 2011 Lee rated it really liked it
Sort of a Stephanie Plum, except in a better neighborhood. My first book by this author. It's apparent that the author is a good writer. Generally the style is designed to keep the action moving but thrown in along the way are periodic descriptive narratives that are either funny or thoughtful. The protagonist is an underachiever pot smoking lawyer with apparently independent, albeit meager, means that allow her to spend a lot of time pursuing actions with little hope of renumeration. I could ha ...more
Bren
Aug 05, 2014 Bren rated it liked it
Rating 2.5. I didn't find the protagonist endearing or funny. The mystery was only so-so.
Judym
Jan 19, 2014 Judym rated it really liked it
First time reading this author& would definitely seek out other books. The story flowed well and I had no idea who did it until the end.
james
Aug 12, 2012 james rated it liked it
This is a quick and fun read for those sweltering in the Summer heat, It takes place in the Hamptons, a group of towns in far eastern Long Island, which is supposed to be ultra posh. But there are plenty of non-fancy folks with a female lawyer snooping around at all hours and getting into all sorts of trouble.
Jenine
Nov 14, 2012 Jenine rated it liked it
Lively protagonist. The story moved along at a good clip. The main character is well drawn but with some blank spaces. I am tempted to blame it on the author's gender. I never realized before that the Hamptons was cheek by jowl with strip mall towns.
Carol
Oct 28, 2010 Carol rated it liked it
Language. I enjoyed the story and would have a lot more except for the language. I like the main character, Jackie Swaitohski and her willingness to stick to the case even when she didn't have a client any more.
Kitty
Mar 19, 2010 Kitty rated it really liked it
Murder in the Hamptons takes several twists in the journey towards resolution. Is an inheritance at stake? And just what is it worth? And "Who's your daddy?" makes it even more interesting.
Janeene
Apr 24, 2010 Janeene rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
2.5 stars - really wanted to like this - and may read next book in series as think characters could be developed really well - but for some reason this just wasn't as good as I expected.
Ruth
May 30, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
New series. Not sure yet. Widowed woman lawyer in the Hamptons. Presented as humorous but I didn't feel it. It was OK. Don't think I'll follow this series.
Grace
Sep 24, 2010 Grace rated it it was ok
This was a new author for me. A bit too gritty. I've never been one for too much grit in my books and the older I get, the more sensitive I've become.
Shannon
Oct 25, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
3.5 stars -- I liked it enough that I'll add the others in the series to my "to-read" list, but I doubt I'll remember the plot a few weeks from now.
Jena Gardner
Aug 31, 2010 Jena Gardner rated it liked it
Read it at the beach...thought it would be a good vacation read. It took me forever to get through it. Forgettable, but mildly pleasant.
Jenness
Apr 05, 2010 Jenness rated it liked it
A fun, easy read. I was more interested in the characters than the actual mystery, but the twist at the end did surprise me.
Carrie
May 22, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was good. It was a little slow going and hard to get into. It was still good. I plan on reading more by Chris Knopf.
Kari
Mar 01, 2011 Kari rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2011
Cute quick mystery. I liked Jackie. There were some funny moments in the books. I never would have called the ending!
Mary Kay
Nov 02, 2010 Mary Kay rated it liked it
Jackie is a real estate attorney in the Hamptons who finds herself in the murder of a gruesome murder.
Lake County Public Library Indiana
"Just a fun mystery, quirky characters, good story line and surprising ending."
-Collen/Central
Al Stoess
Feb 17, 2011 Al Stoess rated it did not like it
Didn't make a great deal of sense. Although the female lead did get laid a couple of times.
Judithallen
Jun 04, 2010 Judithallen rated it liked it
Never read this author before - would read something by him in future
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #3)
  • Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Skating Around the Law (Rebecca Robbins, #1)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Howl Deadly (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #8)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • The Cracked Pot (Clay and Crime, #2)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • Harrowing Hats
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2)

Jackie Swaitkowski (3 books)
  • Bad Bird: A Mystery