Start by marking “Requiem in Vienna” as Want to Read:
Requiem in Vienna

Requiem in Vienna (Karl Werthen (Viennese) Mystery #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"What Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did for Victorian London and Caleb Carr did for old NewYork, Sydney Jones does for historic Vienna."

Karen Harper, New York Times bestselling author of the Queen Elizabeth I mystery series

At first it seemed like a series of accidents plagued Vienna’s Court Opera. But after a singer is killed during rehearsals of a new production,the evidence su
Published February 2nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published January 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Requiem in Vienna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Requiem in Vienna

Mary Ronan Drew
I do enjoy reading books about Vienna. Never can an author who really knows the city, and J Sydney Jones, the author of Requiem in Vienna has written guide books about Vienna, never can these people resist writing about their characters stopping at every café and eating lots of pastries, all of them mit schlag. I swoon.

The first book in the series was The Empty Mirror (2009). This second book, set in 1899, again teams fictional lawyer Karl Werthen and Hans Gross, who is not fictional; he was a n
Terri Lynn
I am so fond of his series of historical mystery books set in the wonderful city of Vienna, Austria that features Advokat (attorney) Karl Werthen, his wife Berthe, and his criminologist friend Hans Gross. Werthen had practiced law by doing wills and trusts but he did get involved in a criminal investigation in the last book and so now adds criminal investigations and inquiries to his practice.

In this book, in 19th century Vienna, there are a series of accidents that seemed to be aimed at conduct
The Empty Mirror & Requiem in Vienna by J. Sydney Jones; books 1 & 2 of the Advokat Werthen series.

These two mysteries are set in Turn-of-the-20th Century Vienna, when the Austro-Hungarian Empire was at its apex and was peopled by such luminaries as Sigmund Freud, Richard Freiherr von Krafft-Ebing, Gustav Mahler, Franz Ferdinand, the Emperor Franz Joseph and of course the waltz-king Johann Strauss. The Empire is seen through the eyes of a young lawyer, or in German Advokat, Karl Werthen
Maestros and Murder: a tangled web of Viennese music and musicians, March 26, 2010

Yesterday I was sitting in the home of Gustav Mahler, current conductor at the Vienna Court Opera House, near a glorious Bosendorfer grand piano. A tall woman dressed in a long white gown is playing Bach. It is the summer of 1899.

Advokat Karl Werthen, one of the few fictional characters in Jones' mysteries, is looking into a series of incidents surrounding Mahler's current performances: a young mezzo soprano crush
I really, really enjoyed this mystery set in turn-of-the-century Vienna, featuring appearances and cameos by all kinds of famous historical figures. The premise is that someone is trying to kill the composer Gustav Mahler. In the course of the investigation, we also meet Hugo Wolf (a great composer of art songs), the artist Gustav Klimt, the critic Eduard Hanslick, journalist Karl Kraus, and on and on. Of course, it helps that I was sort of familiar already with some of the historical framework ...more
Famous music composer and conductor, Gustav Mahler is preparing for a new musical production. Unfortunately, someone does not want the show to go on. Maestro Mahler’s leading lady and lover becomes the victim of a horrible accident on set during rehearsals. It seems that Mahler was the target. One of Mahler’s other lover’s Alma Schindler fears for Mahler’s life. She turns to private investigator, Karl Werthen for help. Mr. Werthen brings his old friend and criminologist, Hanns Gross in on the ca ...more
I purchased this book because I greatly enjoyed "Basic Law" by the same author. Here someone is trying to kill the great musicians of Vienna, and we are led on a somewhat convoluted path to find the culprit by a lawyer/investigator and a criminologist. The story bogs down at times, but making up for the heavy-sledding are the fine intricacies of Austrian life in the 1890's. My rating: ...more
Jane Mackay
I want to give this book 3.5 stars, but that's not an option. It's not on par with my other four-starred books, ergo it gets three stars. The really strong element of this book is all the historical info and stories and the details of Viennese life.

Got annoyed with the sleuths for not investigating Tor earlier. Now, I realize that he was not the murderer, but so much pointed toward him, and of course it turned out that he was involved with the real murderer as a semi-unwitting accomplice.

Berthe (fictional) was an interesting, if somewhat anachronistic, character, but the rest, other than maybe Mahler (real), did not resonate. I love Vienna, which was what attracted me to this historical mystery, but only the food descri
Brenda Mengeling
This is the second Viennese mystery by Jones to feature Advokat Karl Werthern. As with the first book in the series, The Empty Mirror, I enjoyed the characters and their interactions very much. However, in this installment, the case is pretty far-fetched and contrived. It appears that someone wants to kill Gustav Mahler the genius composer and conductor of the Viennese Opera. Werthern is again helped by Hans Gross, and I felt they were too credulous here. They fell for every possible red herring ...more
Barbara Biasiotta
I love these mysteries set in Vienna and referring to famous Viennese personalities. I'm a bit biased since I lived in Wien for awhile many, many years ago. It's just fun and a bit nostalgic to read these stories and envision all the locations I vaguely remember..:)
I happened upon this book at the library, not realizing that it was the second in a series, but it sufficiently stood alone. I had high expectations from the book - turn of the centurymystery with a musical plot. But, it did not deliver. I found it to be flat without much suspense, and I didn't care "who did it" by the end. I'll stick with Frank Tallis for my Vienna mystery fix.
What an absolute joy to read a book that I couldn't put down. I so enjoyed this book and I have to say that it was wonderful to read such a marvellous informative mystery where I learned so much about 19th century Vienna. I am now reading the first novel 'The Empty Mirror' and I hope no one wants to disturb me as I sit to once again walk the streets of Vienna with Werthen and Gross.
Once again Karl Werthen and his his friend, Hanns Gross, are trying to stop a murderer. The intended victim is none other than the famous musician, Mahler. There are a few red herrings, a few false trails, but they do eventually get the culprit. The interesting part is the atmosphere. Vienna in 1898 is alive because of the wonderful descriptions in this book.
Ann Isely
As a visitor to Vienna I wanted to be steeped in the culture of this city, and this book was up to the task. Throughout the story many names are dropped, not just of people but of institutions, also. In a nutshell, a lawyer and part time sleuth is enlisted by a young woman, to find out who is trying to kill Gustav Mahler. Good character development, and plot twists.
Volume one in this series was about the art scene in fin de siecle Vienna. This book centers on the music scene. there appears to be a plot to murder Gustav Mahler. Alma (soon to be Mahler)puts in an appearance, actually several. I still prefer the Tallis series, but these will serve in the interim.
I've read three in this series, though not in timely order. What a fascinating portrait of the time and place. I'm just starting to appreciate Vienna as a world capitol. The details about the famous people that appear in these novels is wonderful.
Gail Hamilton
This mystery is set in 19th century Vienna and centers on a threat to the composer Mahler's life. There are lots of references to composers of the era and the main characters are likeable. I would read another of Jones' books.
The premise of this mystery is that someone is trying to kill Gustav Mahler in 1899 Vienna. I'm indignant that Eduard Hanslick is suspected at one point of murdering Bruckner, Johann Strauss and even Brahms!
I am not sure why I didnt like this more. I love history and mysteries. The premise was clever, but it was just a bit slow and predictable. would still try another book in the series.
Laurel Doud
Lovely historical background but I never quite got with the characters. I'm not sure what was missing and it might have been one of those wrong time, wrong book scenarios.
Absolutely loved it. Truth blended in with fiction. I learned much about the Viennese culture circa 19th century. When I get the chance, I will re-read this novel again.
The author writes travel books about Vienna. I can tell. I got tired of hearing about what they ate and where they went to eat it.
references to previous adventure got very tedious but finally they stopped. Someone is trying to murder Mahler.
The writing was okay. I just loved the details of fin-de-siècle Vienna the author dropped in page after page.
An interesting mystery set in Vienna, although I liked the Empty Mirror better.
Dianne Landry
As enjoyable as the first book in the series. I will definitely read more of these.
These are ok. I have read this series mostly because they are set in Vienna.
I didn't realize this was a mystery...I'm not a big mystery girl :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Deadly Communion (Liebermann Papers, #5)
  • The Winter Thief (Kamil Pasha, #3)
  • Out of the Dawn Light (Aelf Fen, #1)
  • Liszt's Kiss
  • Miss Dimple Suspects (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #3)
  • The Mistaken Wife
  • The Lost Stradivarius
  • The Ninth Stone
  • Louisa and the Missing Heiress (A Louisa May Alcott Mystery, #1)
  • A Corpse in Shining Armour (Liberty Lane, #3)
  • The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1)
  • The Conjurer
  • Treasure of the Golden Cheetah (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #5)
  • Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2)
  • Her Highness' First Murder (Simon & Elizabeth, #1)
  • The Towers of February
  • Peril at Somner House
  • India Black and the Widow of Windsor (Madam of Espionage, #2)

Karl Werthen (Viennese) Mystery (6 books)
  • The Empty Mirror