Start by marking “Lights On Broadway” as Want to Read:
Lights On Broadway

Lights On Broadway

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Tony Award winner and Broadway icon Brian Stokes Mitchell brings star power to this Broadway treasury. With entries such as "audition," "box office," "marquee," and "understudy," kids will discover Broadway from A to Z. Elliot Kreloff's energetic and dynamic illustrations come from someone who clearly knows theater from first-hand experiences. With an introduction by Mitch...more
Published October 14th 2009 by Blue Apple Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lights On Broadway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lights On Broadway

Teri
Sep 19, 2011 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teri by: Sally
So excited to read this! Thank-you Sally!

Colorful illustrations with a lot of detail. Loved the quotes from those who work on Broadway in various capacities, not just the actors. I love the theater and was surprised how much I learned in this A-Z Broadway book for children. It comes with a CD with one song, "I Was Here" sung by Brian Stokes Mitchell. Little bit of a tearjerker that song. Will be a great book to use to teach my daughter about the magic of theater.
Tasha
This A to Z book takes readers into the world of the theater, teaching the words that go with the shows. From grip to marquee, readers will find plenty of words they don’t know. But this book is much more than vocabulary because alongside each definition, there are quotes from Broadway actors, directors, choreographers, composers, writers and more. This book is pure inspiration for those who have the acting bug and who long to be on stage.

Ziefert and Kreloff have created a book that captures th...more
Ashley W
Anyone who is entranced by the Great White Way will love poring over the pages of this colorful, fun, and informative A to Z tour of Broadway. Kreloff’s retro-style full-page digital illustrations are filled with a multi-ethnic cast of characters who exude the excitement, passion, and hard work that go into a Broadway show. A guide for beginners who have an interest in theater, the book uses the alphabet to organize and highlight aspects of Broadway; “Q” is for quick-change and “F” is for fourth...more
Natalie O'neill
This book is an informational alphabet book that goes through all of the different vocabulary words associated with Broadway. Not only does it give the reader great background knowledge on Broadway, but it also has quotes from famous people who have at some point had a career in Broadway. This book would be excellent to use when introducing a unit on drama in a language arts classroom.
Paul  Hankins
I love this one as an addition to our ABCs of Categorization and Classification Unit in Room 407. Each year, we have a number of thespians go through the room. I love that we can have an ABC book in the stacks that will speak to each of them.

Each letter is represented by some element of Broadway and/or a production. Each page is anchored by a quote from a famous actor/actress and the shows in his/her resume.

Nicely done. Comes with a music CD by the author.
Amy Carr
I really enjoyed this book! It is an absolutely delightful introduction to the world of theater and acting and the wonders of Broadway in New York City. I loved the playful, colorful illustrations and thought the text was very well done. My children love drama...I think they will love this book.
paula
Snazzy, exciting graphic illustrations, informative text, and, for the parents (and for the odd stage-addicted tween), tons and tons of quotes from actual Broadway cast and crew, from Carol Channing to Harvey Feirstein to Idina Menzel. Definitely a winner, fills a gap.
Liz
Such a fun book--for Broadway lovers and more! So many great facts packed into each page of this theater alphabet. Quotes from famous actors and theater people. (not sure the source of those) I learned a lot! CD too, but I haven't played it yet!
Megan
A is for Audition, E is for Encore, O is for Overture...In addition to the featured letter/word, each page contains fun theater facts and quotes from people working on Broadway. The pages are a little busy, but fun.
Glynnis
My mother-in-law got me a signed copy of this for Valentine's day! Brian Stokes Mitchell told me to "Shine, shine, shine" my light :). Love the artwork and collections of quotes from actors and crew.
Heather
Beautiful, and full of information. A great introduction to the theater.
Sara K.
Love this picture book! In fact I sent it to a Broadway baby that I know!!!!
Natalie
Really adorable and informative.
M
M added it
Sep 16, 2014
Purple Grapes Gabriella
Purple Grapes Gabriella marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Mireya Yvonne
Mireya Yvonne marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Will Stotts-Jr
Will Stotts-Jr marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2012
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr...more
More about Harriet Ziefert...
A New Coat for Anna Sleepy Dog My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius Lucy Rescued Snow Party