Start by marking “Lights on Broadway: A Theatrical Tour from A to Z, with CD” as Want to Read:
Lights on Broadway: A Theatrical Tour from A to Z, with CD

Lights on Broadway: A Theatrical Tour from A to Z, with CD

Tony Award winner and Broadway icon, Brian Stokes Mitchell, brings star power to this Broadway treasury. With entries such as "audition," "box office," "marquee," and "understudy," kids will discover Broadway from A to Z. Elliot Kreloff's energetic and dynamic illustrations come from someone who clearly knows theater from first-hand experiences.

With an introduction by Mitc
Published October 14th 2009 by Blue Apple Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lights on Broadway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lights on Broadway

Paul  Hankins
I love this one as an addition to our ABCs of Categorization and Classification Unit in Room 407. Each year, we have a number of thespians go through the room. I love that we can have an ABC book in the stacks that will speak to each of them.

Each letter is represented by some element of Broadway and/or a production. Each page is anchored by a quote from a famous actor/actress and the shows in his/her resume.

Nicely done. Comes with a music CD by the author.
Teri
Sep 19, 2011 Teri rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Teri by: Sally
So excited to read this! Thank-you Sally!

Colorful illustrations with a lot of detail. Loved the quotes from those who work on Broadway in various capacities, not just the actors. I love the theater and was surprised how much I learned in this A-Z Broadway book for children. It comes with a CD with one song, "I Was Here" sung by Brian Stokes Mitchell. Little bit of a tearjerker that song. Will be a great book to use to teach my daughter about the magic of theater.
Ashley W
Aug 18, 2010 Ashley W rated it it was amazing
Anyone who is entranced by the Great White Way will love poring over the pages of this colorful, fun, and informative A to Z tour of Broadway. Kreloff’s retro-style full-page digital illustrations are filled with a multi-ethnic cast of characters who exude the excitement, passion, and hard work that go into a Broadway show. A guide for beginners who have an interest in theater, the book uses the alphabet to organize and highlight aspects of Broadway; “Q” is for quick-change and “F” is for fourth ...more
Tasha
Feb 03, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
This A to Z book takes readers into the world of the theater, teaching the words that go with the shows. From grip to marquee, readers will find plenty of words they don’t know. But this book is much more than vocabulary because alongside each definition, there are quotes from Broadway actors, directors, choreographers, composers, writers and more. This book is pure inspiration for those who have the acting bug and who long to be on stage.

Ziefert and Kreloff have created a book that captures th
Natalie O'neill
Mar 11, 2014 Natalie O'neill rated it really liked it
This book is an informational alphabet book that goes through all of the different vocabulary words associated with Broadway. Not only does it give the reader great background knowledge on Broadway, but it also has quotes from famous people who have at some point had a career in Broadway. This book would be excellent to use when introducing a unit on drama in a language arts classroom.
paula
Snazzy, exciting graphic illustrations, informative text, and, for the parents (and for the odd stage-addicted tween), tons and tons of quotes from actual Broadway cast and crew, from Carol Channing to Harvey Feirstein to Idina Menzel. Definitely a winner, fills a gap.
Sammy
Dec 07, 2014 Sammy rated it liked it
A Theatrical Tour of Broadway from A-Z is what this book is about. It goes through the alphabet, but has many complex stage terms, definitions, and quotes from those who are a part of or have been a part of many shows. There is a lot of information here about Broadway laid out in a
very fun way.
Amy Carr
Dec 18, 2010 Amy Carr rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It is an absolutely delightful introduction to the world of theater and acting and the wonders of Broadway in New York City. I loved the playful, colorful illustrations and thought the text was very well done. My children love drama...I think they will love this book.
Megan
Jun 14, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
A is for Audition, E is for Encore, O is for Overture...In addition to the featured letter/word, each page contains fun theater facts and quotes from people working on Broadway. The pages are a little busy, but fun.
Liz
Mar 25, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Such a fun book--for Broadway lovers and more! So many great facts packed into each page of this theater alphabet. Quotes from famous actors and theater people. (not sure the source of those) I learned a lot! CD too, but I haven't played it yet!
Glynnis
Feb 21, 2013 Glynnis rated it really liked it
My mother-in-law got me a signed copy of this for Valentine's day! Brian Stokes Mitchell told me to "Shine, shine, shine" my light :). Love the artwork and collections of quotes from actors and crew.
Loren
Loren rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2010
Lora
Lora rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2010
Joelle
Joelle rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Natalie
Jul 25, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Really adorable and informative.
Samanthabajonerom.
Samanthabajonerom. rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2013
Sara
Dec 27, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Love this picture book! In fact I sent it to a Broadway baby that I know!!!!
Amy Holley
Amy Holley rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2011
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Marissa Cecil
Marissa Cecil rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Boni
Boni rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2010
Laura rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2010
Heather
Jan 12, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, and full of information. A great introduction to the theater.
Molly Cady
Molly Cady rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Regina Reads
Regina Reads rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2016
Jennifer Foeller
Jennifer Foeller rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Jesse Rathgeber
Jesse Rathgeber rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2015
Deborah Baldwin
Deborah Baldwin rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
VegasGal
VegasGal rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2010
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...