Start by marking “Revolution” as Want to Read:
Revolution

Revolution

World-renowned pollster George Barna has the numbers, and they indicate a revolution is already taking place within the Church—one that will impact every believer in America. Committed, born-again Christians are exiting the established church in massive numbers. Why are they leaving? Where are they going? And what does this mean for the future of the Church? Using years' w ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published September 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolution

David Gregg
Not the best book out there on this subject, but it's okay.

In my opinion, the author doesn't sound like he had passed through the cynical phase when this book was written. But if you can filter that effectively, or if you are cynical enough yourself, then this may be the book for you. It is a mostly deconstructive book, so if you read it and especially if you are going through the deconstructive phase, then remember that you will eventually need to go through a constructive phase. At that time,
Bart Breen
May 19, 2012 Bart Breen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's Going on with George Barna?

George Barna's "Revolution" is now almost 5 years old and in writing this review I realize that I am late to the party and further I realize that the discussion has progressed beyond this work in subsequent books published. Nevertheless, it remains an important and seminal work today both because of what it has to say and who is saying it.

George Barna is one of the most listened to voices in the organized and institutional church for the past 25 years. This is e
Thomas Kinsfather
Feb 16, 2013 Thomas Kinsfather rated it liked it
Even if Barna's approach is over-dramatic, his data and ability to read social trends is spot on. The institutionalized churches in the US are becoming less and less effective. Revolution attempts to examine experience, statistical date, and the Scriptures to discover why and what alternatives exist.

Jump to the End: In short, Revolution is Barna defending his decision to embrace home churches and more casual missional communities instead the the top-heavy, big buildinged, traditionalized, social
Jon Beadle
Feb 21, 2016 Jon Beadle rated it it was ok
Incredible stats, but a lot of "fluff" in regard to theological implications of a revolutionary movement and the labels he addresses throughout. While his arguments were unconvincing, I found the data to be indispensable.
Oct 06, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was awesome. If anyone asked me to hand them a book about where I am spiritually, I would give them a copy of this book. This book so describes me and my family. It was encouraging and reignited my passion to live for God, no matter the cost. I am a revolutionary!
Deborah
Nov 06, 2007 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very through-provoking. Don't read if you are happy with the status quo.
Jeremy Manuel
Sep 12, 2015 Jeremy Manuel rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity, church
It is always interesting when you read a book and wind up disagreeing with it for completely different reasons on each read. This is what happened with George Barna's book Revolution. I first read it in seminary and remember not liking it all that much. Having just re-read it, I appreciate it a bit more, but it is still not my favorite book.

Revolution is essentially about being a Christian who is tired of the status quo in Christianity. Christians who are tired of the idea that going to church o
Joshua
Aug 04, 2010 Joshua rated it really liked it
George Barna is an inconsistent archer. Or at least that's why I thought after reading only a third of the book.

I was surprised seeing that Barna wrote this book as it looked different than many of his statistically heavy books I've read (or skimmed) in the past. After reading the first several chapters of Revolution, I was slightly disappointed.

Barna describes a new "revolution" of Christians who are becoming the church and not having the church define their Christianity. And although this boo
Ilona
Dec 14, 2007 Ilona rated it really liked it
Barna evaluates the current state of the local church, the people.

His findings are not anything new nor surprising parse, he just articulates the present times well and has research, statistics - gathered by surveys, to back it. A surge of people zealous for an intimate relationship with God are forced to leave the local church and be the Church instead.

As he stated the individual reasons for the walk out I found myself in much agreement with him, for I have seen it and cannot deny it. But he
Aisha
Feb 19, 2012 Aisha rated it really liked it
Great little book! In George Barna fashion, there are a few pages of mighty compelling statistics to help build the case of simple church attendance not equalling a Spirit Filled life. Lest we think that once we get someone involved in the local church that is an indicator of spiritual maturity. Not at all! Just as someone could technically not be involved in church yet have a very vibrant and (albeit the rare situation) active walk with The Lord and ministry. The examples he gave rang true with ...more
Lane Douglas
Nov 28, 2010 Lane Douglas rated it liked it
Shelves: church
In "Revolution," Barna investigates the growing reality that more and more people are seeking alternative ways to grow deeper in Christ. Not content to stick with the traditional model of the local church service on Sunday mornings, these "revolutionaries," as Barna calls them, are turning to house-church, cyber-church, and family-church strategies.[return][return]As with any revolution, Barna's book is bound to meet with controversy. The very fact that he named his book by this title shows he i ...more
Matt Black
Oct 26, 2012 Matt Black rated it it was ok
This was an interesting and quick read. I agree with Barna's study that "there are radical changes that are reshaping the Church in America." This book was written in 2005 and I see some of those changes and shifts still occuring today. I'd be interesting to see if there is a followup study to this 7 years later.
The overall premise of the book is that Barna seems to be noticing that people whom he calls "revolutionaries" are not going to "c" church on Sunday, but are still living a spiritual li
Rock Rockwell
Oct 08, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Christians
The Beatles' song is better.

Barna's stats are good to show that the "corporate" church in the West will see a significant demise in attendance over the next 10-20 years and a revolution of people independent of rituals and religion will emerge. This is largely due to the church's non-relevance to today's culture, poor leadership, distrust in authority and religious polity, and a host of real problems that have plagued 'the church' over the years.

As much as the Scriptures teach that God wants hi
Charlie Brill
Jan 10, 2011 Charlie Brill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-church
Jeff
May 23, 2011 Jeff rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No not really.
Recommended to Jeff by: Just wanted to read based on the Hype
Discernment! While there are some good spots of info here and there in this book, what the author is missing "Is" Church. There are so many places in the bible that talks about the "church" as people, as well as the "Church" as a building or place. I choose to hold this book up against The Word of God and follow Christ and His Word. I really don't think God would be leading a "Revolution" of people to leave Church, and not stick around a Make A Difference at the Church they seem to think is "not ...more
Michael
Apr 07, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
Used research data from his research organization to show what is happening within Christianity today and what we can expect in the coming years. Shows that many people are leaving organized churches because they do not like being told what to believe and do not being expected to pay for multi-million dollar church buildings and recreational programs. It also shows that most people are most effected by Christianity not by churches but by para-church organizations such as women's groups or men's ...more
Sam B
Sep 12, 2016 Sam B rated it really liked it
Really great stuff in here, but I'm thoroughly disappointed the Christian/life he describes is categorized as revolutionary and not simply Christian; whether or not the distinction/characterization is real or over imagined by Barna I'll leave up to you. I agree with almost all of the principles he discusses, but find myself disagreeing on the response he seems to advocate. If you truly feel the local church has strayed from what it is meant to be, the answer isn't to leave and let it continue to ...more
Brett
Oct 31, 2009 Brett rated it it was ok
Shelves: ministry, non-fiction
Here, it would seem, is Barna’s self-styled magnum opus against the local church: the church is – in general – a dead institution, ineffective in creating fully devoted followers of Christ. Based on his national polling, Barna is proclaiming a shift in what it means to be a follower of Christ: the revolutionary Christian is one who finds his/her primary spiritual growth outside of the structures and programs of a local church (be it a service club, independent bible study, or other niche group). ...more
Angela
Dec 17, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Interesting read. I agree with the idea of being "sold out" to Jesus. To live your life with total dedication to him an a kingdom/eternity world view.
There are points in this book however where matter how diplomatic the author is, I am left with the impression that the author dislikes organized religion ie the church.
I am also uncomfortable with the the statement that people should be willing to do "anything" to know God better. This could lead to very dangerous territory. We must compare all
Ryan
Dec 08, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing
A great read. This is the first book that I have completed in a long time. Finally got back in to reading and I am really glad I started with this one. What I loved about the book is that it didn't negate the churches involvement in Spiritual Growth, but reaffirmed it's place in Spiritual growth. The cover seems a bit misleading "Worn out on Church" but eye catching enough to pick it up. This is something that boosted my Faith in Christ and the church that I attend.
Paul
Sep 08, 2008 Paul rated it liked it
Barna's research is always helpful, and his comments on the research are sometimes helpful. This book fits into that category, highlighting the urgency that something in the Christian system is broken, or missing, or foundationally incorrect ... or church-centered instead of Israel centered if you want to throw in a suggestion.
Kent
Sep 19, 2007 Kent rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love innovation
Shelves: pastreads
Many people seem to love God and dislike the common church. Interestingly, these people are often the highly innovative, creative, passionate, and committed. Barna suggests that the shape of Christian spiritual worship and development will dramatically shift to a number of non-traditional delivery systems.

Christian leaders are well served to understand the times and know how to respond.
Timothy Hall
Oct 17, 2013 Timothy Hall rated it really liked it
Interesting, but I think he doesn't pay enough attention to New Testament models of body-life. Surely he's right that the local congregation-in-a-building isn't the only form of New Testament church, but body life must also be more than simply family worship or meeting a fellow believer for coffee at Starbucks.
Warren Benton
Jan 07, 2017 Warren Benton rated it liked it
Shelves: public-library
Barna combs through his polling data of churchgoers to try to figure out what is going on with the Church. The main point in this book is if we believe what we claim to believe then why doesn't it show. Why are Christians lives not looking more like what is discussed in the bible? Why are we not more loving, more kind, and less sinful.
Cindy
Oct 09, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
An interesting look at the direction of the Church. While some of his projections are based on research and some on conjecture, it makes sense that we will need to become revolutionary to meet the needs of the world. Parts of the book reminded me of Crazy Love in that our love for God and others needs to be crazy (Chan) or revolutionary (Barna).
Ron
Mar 04, 2014 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church
This book discusses the "revolutionary" type of Christian who grows their faith outside of the local church. It is an interesting discussion and I see more and more of these Christians. Barna lists their 7 core passions:
Intimate Worship
Faith-Based Conversations
Intentional Spiritual Growth
Servanthood
Resource Investment
Spiritual Friendships
Family Faith
It is a fairly quick read.
Bud Hewlett
Feb 15, 2009 Bud Hewlett rated it it was amazing
I'm not a post modernest and there is a lot not to like about the emergent church, but this book simply sets out the way things are going in the church. As a disenchanted church goer this book really scratched me where I itch. I bought three copies and the CD. Like it or not, this is what's happening.
Adam Balshan
Mar 31, 2017 Adam Balshan rated it it was ok
Shelves: ecclesiology
2.5 stars [Ecclesiology]
Disappointing from someone of Barna's potential. His sociological statistics are sharp weapons in the culture war; this book is not. It sounds like an encyclopedia.

Now, I like encyclopedias. But if I'm plowing through something that sounds like an encyclopedia, I want to look at the cover and see the word "Britannica", not "Revolution"!
Chris
Apr 20, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2006
I scored this low, not because it's poorly written or unfounded, but more because the information was obvious to me. The seven behaviors Barna says characterize a revolutionary are almost exactly the seven disciplines we try to cultivate among our people at Prairie Lakes. Good, affirming reinforcement.

Ron
Mar 13, 2011 Ron rated it it was ok
Shallow, weakly speculative discourse on existence of new Christians, Barna calls Revolutionaries who are going deeper in Christian faith outside the church. His daring redefinition of the church is not convincing nor revolutionary.
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • Pagan Christianity: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • Don't Waste Your Life Study Guide
  • Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church
  • Making Small Groups Work: What Every Small Group Leader Needs to Know
  • Jim & Casper Go to Church: Frank Conversation about Faith, Churches, and Well-Meaning Christians
  • Wide Open Spaces: Beyond Paint-by-Number Christianity
  • They Like Jesus but Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations
  • Every Heart Restored: A Wife's Guide to Healing in the Wake of a Husband's Sexual Sin (The Every Man Series)
  • The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community: The Posture and Practices of Ancient Church Now
  • Love Is an Orientation: Elevating the Conversation with the Gay Community
  • The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion
  • The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • The Misunderstood God: The Lies Religion Tells About God
  • I Am Not But I Know I Am
  • Looking for God: An Unexpected Journey Through Tattoos, Tofu & Pronouns
32052
George Barna was raised and educated on the East Coast before moving to California in the early 1980s. He held executive positions in advertising, public policy, political campaigns, and media/marketing research before beginning his own company, the Barna Research Group (now The Barna Group), in 1984. The firm analyzes American culture and creates resources and experiences designed to facilitate m ...more
More about George Barna...

“You either stand for Jesus or you stand for all that He died to repudiate.” 0 likes